[REMOVE ADS]

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 20 ... LastLast
    I do wish Diana had performed more newer songs on her Stolen Moments Live cd. it seemed like the same songs she has done before over the years. good but....

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I do wish Diana had performed more newer songs on her Stolen Moments Live cd. it seemed like the same songs she has done before over the years. good but....
    That was my only complaint with the show. I was hoping that there would be something different. Instead it turned out to be LADY SINGS THE BLUES LIVE. But she sounded great, and it was nice to see her with Gil Askey again.

I am surprised she didn't perform a song from Funny Girl. I think she did a good job on The Music makes Me Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That was my only complaint with the show. I was hoping that there would be something different. Instead it turned out to be LADY SINGS THE BLUES LIVE. But she sounded great, and it was nice to see her with Gil Askey again.
    Although I do agree that I would have preferred some other songs than the LSTB soundtrack, the concert was a celebration of its 20th anniversary, so it does make sense that Ross revisited them on that occasion. The musicians on this album are amazing [[as is Ross)...

Yeah .they all are great on this collection. I was also thinking of the standards album she recorded in 1985...... She could have performed some of those tracks.another way of getting new materia out.just a thought really

I too had hoped for some new songs on Stolen Moments

A great name though!

I think of "Stolen Moments" as a lovely cd to own.
    I feel for the most part Motown [[70-81 knew what they were doing with Diana and the reason she is the mega star that she is. Mistakes were made as regards single choices or lack there of, but i guess in hindsight these mistakes are easy to spotlight. It would be interesting to know the 5 songs other fans feel were sure fire hits that were never released in single format. Not just songs they happen to like the most.... Remember only 5. Mine are are..........

1.These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

2. And If You See Him [[follow up to "I'm Still Waiting")

3. I Ain't Been Licked [[first single)

4. Stay With Me

5. Until We Meet Again [[remix)

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I too had hoped for some new songs on Stolen Moments

A great name though!
    Wish they had done studio take of WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD,Love the live cut - just hope one day a studio recording turns up from this collection .cheers.

Can't really speak for the US with regard to sure fire hits never released as singles but for the UK:

1. Still In Love

2. Never Say I Don't Love You [[was issued as B-side of No One Gets The Prize but the general public at large never got to hear it)

3. Crime Of Passion

4. Swept Away

5. Stay With Me

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Wish they had done studio take of WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD,Love the live cut - just hope one day a studio recording turns up from this collection .cheers.
    She did do a studio recording of "waww" for her standards album which remains unreleased.

Wow want to hear that. I wish anyway.maybe one day

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She did do a studio recording of "waww" for her standards album which remains unreleased.
    It would have been great for the boxed set. The version she did use seems to be taken straight from her 1989 HBO special, is mostly instrumental, and without the visuals, doesn't really make sense.

It would have been great for the boxed set. The version she did use seems to be taken straight from her 1989 HBO special, is mostly instrumental, and without the visuals, doesn't really make sense.
    She performed it live a few times. I haven't heard the studio take on it but I would imagine she made a good job of it.

there is another version from another evening of the same engagement ... she performed another verse and it was broadcast for a tv environmental special back in 89.

She performed it live a few times. I haven't heard the studio take on it but I would imagine she made a good job of it.
    When I saw her in 1989, her closing number was WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD. She didn't have the plastic globe that she had on the HBO special and on OUR COMMON FUTURE. Instead, when she came to the bridge, she just started twirling her arms, and the audience screamed.

When I saw her in 1989, her closing number was WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD. She didn't have the plastic globe that she had on the HBO special and on OUR COMMON FUTURE. Instead, when she came to the bridge, she just started twirling her arms, and the audience screamed.
    It is one of her personal favourite songs. She always sang it with conviction. I would love to hear her studio versions. I know she did at least 2 takes of it. One was a full blown production whilst the other was a more stripped down version.

You guys reminded me that too felt disappointed by Stolen Moments because there was little that was new.

But did anyone else think the final reprise of Fine and Mellow was really well done?

I think the"Stolen Moments" cd is a very good one. The jazz musicians supporting her are just amazing. I would have liked to have heard a more committed version of "Good Morning Heartache", as in the way she performed "you've Changed" but otherwise all was good. Very glad she did not hold the mike out and invite a sing-a-long from the audience lol.
    She was most endearing when she stumbled over the lyrics to "What A Wonderful World". A cute Diana moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think the"Stolen Moments" cd is a very good one. The jazz musicians supporting her are just amazing. I would have liked to have heard a more committed version of "Good Morning Heartache", as in the way she performed "you've Changed" but otherwise all was good. Very glad she did not hold the mike out and invite a sing-a-long from the audience lol.
    She was most endearing when she stumbled over the lyrics to "What A Wonderful World". A cute Diana moment.
    Isn't it her greatest flaw as a performer ... I think she often sings at minimum when she undertakes more, it becomes irresistible.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Isn't it her greatest flaw as a performer ... I think she often sings at minimum when she undertakes more, it becomes irresistible.
    Yes Albator, i would have to agree with your comment. When Diana really commits to a song it becomes something truely great. "Didn't We" as performed at the Supremes farewell concert and "Strange Fruit" from "Stolen Moments being perfect examples of this. I wish she did it more often.
    For me the Central Park concert was marred by lack of conviction to the songs she was performing, particularly during the Supremes segment.

Yes Albator, i would have to agree with your comment. When Diana really commits to a song it becomes something truely great. "Didn't We" as performed at the Supremes farewell concert and "Strange Fruit" from "Stolen Moments being perfect examples of this. I wish she did it more often.
    For me the Central Park concert was marred by lack of conviction to the songs she was performing, particularly during the Supremes segment.
    This one is great, along with "lover man" or her opening song and few others.

During the CP shows I think when she was in the songs, she was fantastic like both nights "home", "family", "let's go up".
    The Medley, I really hate the arrangements but I love when she put her hand to the sky during "stop in the name of love" - That's pure Ross magic. Her acoustic Endless Love is another great moment.

She also did a great energetic "coming out" and "mirror".
    The "my house" is boring and her prophet stuff was embarrassing.
    Is she singing during her "Supremes medley"? as much as "upside down" ..
    The Jazz medley is another embarrassing moment since she stopped her performance to say "when I do a quiet song, it's really important you can hear me" than latter she said a rather beautiful and dramatic "shuuuuuuut".
    She did well with "so close" even if she almost killed herself. She sang so softly yet strong.
    "ribbon" was a great moment, she was in the song.
    Muscles ? I like this song but you don't know what she was doing or if she was still there. Joe Guercio was certainly a top musical director not to lose himself in this chaotic performance... I don't know how he did that.

After it's almost a mess , all those kisses, crying, I love you...

Albator, I agree regarding the central park concert. I thought the storm was the hit and of course how she handled herself and the crowd in a crisis situation. but the 2nd show was disappointing.i bought the dvd and planned on watching it but i've decided to wait on a rainy day. perhaps I will have a different opinion.....she had her moments though.....spreading love!! way to much.

For me, one of the reasons the concert in CP was disappointing was that Ross was so disconnected from the musicians. The band was totally invisible. Ross did a great job entertaining the crowd, but musically, she seemed disconnected. I fully understand why the concert was not released as a live album.
    Last edited by Jaap; 06-01-2016 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    For me, one of the reasons the concert in CP was disappointing was that Ross was so disconnected from the musicians. The band was totally invisible. Ross did a great job entertaining the crowd, but musically, she seemed disconnected. I fully understand why the concert was not released as a live album.
    For whatever reason Diana was very proud of these shows. I think it was a combination of the occasion, the weather and the reason for holding it in the first place that had much to do with this. I enjoyed the show and I did buy the dvd but as yet it remains sealed and unplayed. I far prefer the 1970 Vegas show and the Albert Hall show. It will retain it's place in history but not for the quality of the actual concert.

For whatever reason Diana was very proud of these shows. I think it was a combination of the occasion, the weather and the reason for holding it in the first place that had much to do with this. I enjoyed the show and I did buy the dvd but as yet it remains sealed and unplayed. I far prefer the 1970 Vegas show and the Albert Hall show. It will retain it's place in history but not for the quality of the actual concert.
    Well, one of the major quality of this concert and the DVD, is that she is incredibly beautiful and her costumes are sumptuous .
    With its forces and weakness, her personality is "up front".
    I really like that part of Taborelli's book. I relate that before going on stage, for the second show, she hesitated in canceling the dancers ... [[ for "pieces of ice"?). She is quoted saying "who cares about them, they just want to see me", which I think is extremely funny and true.
    But she pushes the idea too far for this show, and more or less for the whole decade.

Over the years, I became less enamored of Central Park. But when it first aired, I thought it was one of the best things I had ever seen. I didn't have cable at the time, so I had to watch it a neighbor's house. That weekend, one of the FM stations simulcast it and I taped it on 8-track. For months afterward, I would listen to it everyday.

Over the years, I became less enamored of Central Park. But when it first aired, I thought it was one of the best things I had ever seen. I didn't have cable at the time, so I had to watch it a neighbor's house. That weekend, one of the FM stations simulcast it and I taped it on 8-track. For months afterward, I would listen to it everyday.
    I watched it at least twice but have never watched it since around the time of broadcast. I loved it at the time so why have i no desire to watch it now? I was looking at my dvd copy just a few hours ago but decided against watching it. Maybe tomorrow?

bluebrock, could you explain licensing to me. in the case of Diana salbum Everyday,...she recorded Free I'm Gone but it wasn't able to be used for the actual release. I don't understand an artist can record a song but not allow it to be released? thanks

For me Diana does far to much strutting , preening and posing at CP rather then concentrate on the music. There are a few times when she is musically in the zone. "We Are A Family", "Home" and her heartfelt rendition of "God Bless The Child" being a few. At other times she appears overwhelmed by the huge occasion.
    I really wish the Central Park concert had been two years earlier. Her wonderful 81 concert at the Forum being focussed far more on music and less on image.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-02-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    bluebrock, could you explain licensing to me. in the case of Diana salbum Everyday,...she recorded Free I'm Gone but it wasn't able to be used for the actual release. I don't understand an artist can record a song but not allow it to be released? thanks
    It is never a straightforward issue David. As regards "fig" there was some legal loophole that prevented it's inclusion on "ediand". We had the option to include it as a bonus track on the UK edition but it meant 3 additional months of waiting and we had already delayed it's release until Diana herself was available to promote it . It was a very delicate situation as I recall and Diana herself adored the song and wanted it to be a single. As I recall it was the songwriters publisher that caused the delay , but just to make the situation even more ridiculous it was licensed for release outside of the USA and the UK straightaway. I think it was on the Japanese and possibly Australian versions. I do not wish to say too much except to say there were some very difficult people to deal with, and Motown USA were far less committed to the project than Motown UK. It was an open secret that Diana was to be released from her contract , but credit to Diana she was the ultimate professional despite not being fully behind the album. Not sure I have helped you here but I am struggling to say anything more.

For me Diana does far to much strutting , preening and posing at CP rather then concentrate on the music. There are a few times when she is musically in the zone. "We Are A Family", "Home" and her heartfelt rendition of "God Bless The Child" being a few. At other times she appears overwhelmed by the huge occasion.
    I really wish the Central Park concert had been two years earlier. Her wonderful 81 concert at the Forum being focussed far more on music and less on image.
    I agree. Diana has talked of a time when she got big headed and I think the time around Central Park could have marked that time. She had been such a successful artist - I think she was Billboards #1 Artist in 1976 and 1980, or very close to #1.

Maybe it was simply that the weather situation and logistics around CP were overwhelming.

leaving Motown was the height of the big headed-ness ..she thought everyone was going to give her the Gordy 'hall pass'.. but her post- Motown record sales never earned her that right,and she didn't have an 'earned history' anywhere else..s even the solo Beatles when they broke up, wisely stayed with Capitol/EMI..she should have stayed put..kept working with Masser..etc but that's show biz!

Would have loved to hear what musically Motown would have done with Diana had she stayed but financially moving away was a great business move.

in the short run, yes... in the decades-long run, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    leaving Motown was the height of the big headed-ness ..she thought everyone was going to give her the Gordy 'hall pass'.. but her post- Motown record sales never earned her that right,and she didn't have an 'earned history' anywhere else..s even the solo Beatles when they broke up, wisely stayed with Capitol/EMI..she should have stayed put..kept working with Masser..etc but that's show biz!
    From a financial point of view she did the right thing but from a creative point of view it was not a good move. Motown had big plans for her in the early 80's. She was offered a vastly improved contract but Berry couldn't match what RCA offered. I am convinced the 80's would have been wonderful had she stayed with Berry, but she was too pig headed at this point in her life .

What Diana lacked during her spell at RCA was artistic vision. It's a fact she had proved herself to be an astute buisnesswoman, but she appeared to have no concept at all of how she is perceived by her fans or what the pubic at large actually wanted from her. Artistic vision is something Streisand has in abundance. She knows how to keep her fans happy by giving them what they want. While Diana may be commeded for forging new musical paths, it was an experiment that went on for far to many years, and at what cost.

Ross needs to be directed... her rise from Day One was orchestrated by Gordy ,and when she is directed, she is brilliant, no one comes near her.. I think the Jacksons leaving and then seeing Michael Jackson's solo success at Epic got her fired up.. she forgot that she does not write or produce or choreograph or any of the other things MJ did..she wanted to be regarded in that same light, as apparently that is how and who she is.. I think if she allowed someone to direct her, even now, she could make noise in the currently dull world of Adele, Taylor Swift and streaming..but I think she's content at this point if such a thing is possible for her

Ross needs to be directed... her rise from Day One was orchestrated by Gordy ,and when she is directed, she is brilliant, no one comes near her.. I think the Jacksons leaving and then seeing Michael Jackson's solo success at Epic got her fired up.. she forgot that she does not write or produce or choreograph or any of the other things MJ did..she wanted to be regarded in that same light, as apparently that is how and who she is.. I think if she allowed someone to direct her, even now, she could make noise in the currently dull world of Adele, Taylor Swift and streaming..but I think she's content at this point if such a thing is possible for her
    Spot on Jimi! She would have had several juicy film roles to choose from as well as working with the best musicians, songwriters and producers, but she chased the financial rewards, and that of course was her choice to make. Berry himself admitted he would have carried on for longer at Motown had Diana remained. What might have been, what might have been............

as he was selling and she was about to return to Motown in the 90's, she contacted him,'don't sell, don't go'.. she must have realized by then.. but as he told her, 'it's too late.''

as he was selling and she was about to return to Motown in the 90's, she contacted him,'don't sell, don't go'.. she must have realized by then.. but as he told her, 'it's too late.''
    Correct again.

I thought the story was she actually signed with MCA first since she loved how they were handling Patti, Stephanie, and Gladys then was placed back on the Motown roster with some form of compensation in stock to maintain Gordy's stipluation about the company maintaining a certain percentage of minority ownership? There were several articles in the trades noting her reassignment when Berry sold. Unless this phone call took place in 1988 before the sale and her signing with MCA...

she wanted him to remain in place [[ so he could resume their magic again?).. and retain ownership.. the RCA years gave her a firm reality check..but she waited too long..

I loved Diana Ross' RCA years. Those were some exciting years to me. An album every year with usually a huge Arena tour. Spectacular TV specials. Central Park. She was truly at the height of her fame. And I loved most of her RCA albums. "Eaten Alive" being one of my top favorites.

but most folks, and Top 40 radio, did not love her RCA years..and neither did RCA.. how much RCA material does she tour with these days?....

Why Do Fools Fall In Love? Occasionally Mirror Mirror. Is there anything else ever?

That may be true but I really don't care what Top 40 radio thinks or plays anyways. Top 40 radio completely ignored all of her excellent material she put out after her return to Motown.

She was doing "Missing you" a few years ago for her tribute to Michael and when I saw her at The Hollywood Bowl a couple of years ago she did " it's so hard for me to say". I love that song!

she has basically washed her hands of the RCA years..which is fine with me

"Missing You' remains in the top 3 list of my all time favorite songs by Diana. I feel she had to go left to get herself invested and not to end up like most of the Motown artists without anything in the bank to show for a long lucrative career. Her return to Motown with "Working Overtime" was done in concert about as much as her RCA years. In fact I don't even hear "Take Me Higher" being sung anymore. I applaud her decision to move on but she should have kept some folks close by her side with her career. She wanted creative control so she didn't feel like a puppet and it cost her some hits but she still reign.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I loved Diana Ross' RCA years. Those were some exciting years to me. An album every year with usually a huge Arena tour. Spectacular TV specials. Central Park. She was truly at the height of her fame. And I loved most of her RCA albums. "Eaten Alive" being one of my top favorites.
    Respect to you vgalindo. I am happy that these "barren" years were appreciated by some. She did indeed cut some good stuff at RCA but not nearly enough in my opinion. "missing you" "it's hard for me to say""cross my heart" and maybe a couple of tracks from "eaten alive" can proudly stand alongside her classic Motown work but as for some of the stuff on her earlier RCA albums.......... I despaired at the time and still do, and credit to her for later admitting to some gross errors of judgement during this period. She needed Berry or some other influence to guide her. She thought she was unstoppable. She thought wrong, but that is history and she learned some valuable lessons ,so it was not a total waste of several years.