[REMOVE ADS]

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thanks for the confidence booster Ollie!! Swing it was considered as a possible single in the UK . It was not my personal favourite song from the album but i don't think i would have omitted it. The faster version of "inlamb" will no doubt appear on the expanded version of "tmh" whenever that may appear. We could easily fill two cds inc remixes. It is a project that must happen. Diana wanted OLCCA to be a single and if released at the right time could have been a decent hit. Glad you backtracked a little because she was reading this forum as recently as last Saturday, and i would hate you to incur her wrath!
    Speaking of the TMH CD, last week while buying cd's at one of Rockaway's sales, I found an advance promo cd of TMH. It was even labeled as sequencing not finalised, though it was the same sequencing as what was released here in the US.

Upon getting home and sticking it my MacBook to rip to iTunes, I noticed that many of the timings were different than the US version or International Version. 5 of the songs were about 15 to 20 seconds different, so may just be edits. I haven't had the time to listen to compare versions, but this used cd was definetely worth purchasing since it was different.

The differences are:
    [[timings are Advance cd/US version/Int'l Version)

If You're Not Going To Love Me Right 4:21/4:41/4:41
    Keep It Right There 4:57/4:50/4:33
    Don't Stop 3:24/3:48/4:07
    I Never Loved A Man Before 4:35/4:55/4:54
    I Will Survive 4:32/4:48/4:50

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    wonder if she ever recorded Islands in the Stream, since the bee Gees have said they wrote it for her. not sure if she didn't like the song or she didn't want to do it as a duet
    No she didn't David. Barry sent the demo to her in the early 80's which Barry intended as a duet with him, but Diana did not like the song and swiftly turned it down - too swiftly as it turned out because she later admitted it was a mistake to do so. Barry was made up when he heard this!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    David, I agree--Ross '78, what were they thinking? Individually the songs are fine, but as a collection? Three new disco tracks, 2 vaulted ballads and an additional new recording, the A and B side of a 4-year-old single that was not successful and a remix of a 7-year- old minor hit, while recent recordings collect dust in the vaults. SMH. Who could have possibly thought this was an appropriate follow up to Baby It's Me?

I, too, am looking forward to the expanded Ross '78, hoping to gain a little perspective.
    Totally agree with you guys. Ross78 was a musically satisfying album but why use old tracks when so much good stuff remained in the vault. Similar sentiments go for "to love again"

funny , my deluxe version of Ross 78 has all the tracks from side 1 of To Love Again.
    again Diana needed us to proof her albums like Motown did in the 60s. we would have been a great team me thinks.
    I remember reading BG didn't like Stoned Love and wouldn't release it but was out voted at quality control and it was released and became a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Speaking of the TMH CD, last week while buying cd's at one of Rockaway's sales, I found an advance promo cd of TMH. It was even labeled as sequencing not finalised, though it was the same sequencing as what was released here in the US.

Upon getting home and sticking it my MacBook to rip to iTunes, I noticed that many of the timings were different than the US version or International Version. 5 of the songs were about 15 to 20 seconds different, so may just be edits. I haven't had the time to listen to compare versions, but this used cd was definetely worth purchasing since it was different.

The differences are:
    [[timings are Advance cd/US version/Int'l Version)

If You're Not Going To Love Me Right 4:21/4:41/4:41
    Keep It Right There 4:57/4:50/4:33
    Don't Stop 3:24/3:48/4:07
    I Never Loved A Man Before 4:35/4:55/4:54
    I Will Survive 4:32/4:48/4:50
    I recall reading an interview with Nick Martinelli, the producer of VOICE OF THE HEART, and he was asked about that song being edited for the US edition.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I recall reading an interview with Nick Martinelli, the producer of VOICE OF THE HEART, and he was asked about that song being edited for the US edition.
    That sounds like it could be correct. Voice of the Heart is 4:54 on both the advance cd and the International, but 4:18 on the US. I hadn't listed Voice of The Heart because it matched the International CD. I only listed where pretty much all on the advance was different from the US or International or at least different from what was released.

Do you know what the reason was that Nick wanted the edited version in the US ?
    Last edited by greg jones; 07-23-2016 at 10:43 PM.

That sounds like it could be correct. Voice of the Heart is 4:54 on both the advance cd and the International, but 4:18 on the US. I hadn't listed Voice of The Heart because it matched the International CD. I only listed where pretty much all on the advance was different from the US or International or at least different from what was released.

It's a strange edit--the third chorus is removed; I could never understand why. Regarding the edits of the advance CD versions of If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right and I Will Survive, the spoken passage of IYNGLMR is removed as well as the spoken intro of I Will Survive.

I cannot shed any light on this mystery. I was not even aware of the differences between the US and Int versions until now. When i took delivery of the master tapes they were the only versions that i received. My dilemma was merely to decide which songs to miss off the UK edition, and as we well know i made some bad decisions according to a couple of members on here! I can handle it!

I cannot shed any light on this mystery. I was not even aware of the differences between the US and Int versions until now. When i took delivery of the master tapes they were the only versions that i received. My dilemma was merely to decide which songs to miss off the UK edition, and as we well know i made some bad decisions according to a couple of members on here! I can handle it!
    What more can i say...

I fail to understand the rationale for different track selections and track lengths on albums. Surely we all want the same irrespective of where we live?

Does anybody know the rationale for this?

It wasn't Nick's idea. He said that Motown cut out the third chorus because [[he guessed) they thought it was too long, but it wasn't what he intended.
    Last edited by reese; 07-24-2016 at 08:32 AM.

never understood this. I know in the past they would edit a single down to 2.30 seconds for airplay so that songs such as Love Child and Up The Ladder To The Roof would get airplay, both of these songs had a verse removed, but nowadays, what difference does it make

Why is there no Diana DVDs???

Why is there no Diana DVDs???
    Copy right issues in some cases, and Diana's reluctance in other cases.

Thanks.frustrating.Streisand has all her TV specials on DVD.I think we have 2 Ross DVDs....would like to see her 71 special

thinking out loud here but recently I saw ladies claiming to have xyz #1s but these other ladies are claiming #1 songs that have been at the top on various charts unlike DR who has had 6 solo #1 on Billboard. however , if you also count the songs that DR has on various charts that , at my recollection , gives her some solo 14 #1s. so if these other ladies, can count the other charted songs as number ones , why not Diana. and I'm Gonna Make You Love Me was number one on cashbox for 3 weeks and record world.hmmmm. me thinks Diana is still supreme.
    Last edited by daviddh; 07-26-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Bluebrock...any reason Diana doesn't contribute to the universal deluxe editions to her albums??

Bluebrock...any reason Diana doesn't contribute to the universal deluxe editions to her albums??
    To be honest David she does not seem that interested. I don't mean that in a bad way , it is just that she has reached that point in her life where she likes to sing on stage, but other than that she prefers to spend the rest of her time with her family. Whenever I have mentioned the expanded versions she has just said "that's nice" or "that's good" or "nice to hear" and very little else!

Back to Diana's singles

Do you think the Surrender project would have performed differently if the second single was Surrender instead of Reach out? I think the title track was a much more compelling song. and after the success of Remember Me, would have been a stronger follow up

Also, after It's My Turn, Motown released One More Chance in early 81, several months prior to Endless Love. Thoughts as to why this didn't succeed? there wasn't any competing Ross material. should they have gone with OMC to help promote the To Love Again project? or revert back to My Old Piano or Tenderness?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Back to Diana's singles

Do you think the Surrender project would have performed differently if the second single was Surrender instead of Reach out? I think the title track was a much more compelling song. and after the success of Remember Me, would have been a stronger follow up

Also, after It's My Turn, Motown released One More Chance in early 81, several months prior to Endless Love. Thoughts as to why this didn't succeed? there wasn't any competing Ross material. should they have gone with OMC to help promote the To Love Again project? or revert back to My Old Piano or Tenderness?
    Good one.

I think the SURRENDER album might have done better if it was released around the same time as REMEMBER ME. But the release schedule for Diana's records was out of whack. EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING was released without the benefit of a single for many months. Yet singles like REMEMBER ME, and REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE were released without a parent album.

IMO, ONE MORE CHANCE is a very strong record. But I think the public wanted more of the Chic sound from Diana at that point. IT'S MY TURN was a big hit, because it was a great record, but also because if was following her huge Chic singles. My opinion is that they could have released a few more singles off the Chic album, but I think the success of IT'S MY TURN and Diana's impending departure might have thrown things off. Instead, they released ONE MORE CHANCE and then CRYIN' MY HEART OUT FOR YOU.
    Last edited by reese; 08-01-2016 at 03:19 PM.

I agree that they should have done a Chic single in there. between It's My Turn, One More, Cryin and Endless Love, it was too many power ballads. IMO the two best ones where the hits. in regards to One More, I think the ending was a bit too much. too overwrought. Cryin is good but too little too late.

Too bad Motown couldn't get the rights to Dreaming Of You duet with Lionel.

I like the track My Old Piano but found the lyrics too corny. Tenderness is ok but a bit monotonous. even for chic lol. Have Fun Again might have been worked

I liked My Old Piano but it didn't chart inside the top 100?? go figure. I also like now That your Gone. I think with Diana leaving motown , they didn't seem to know what to do. odd to me that with the Supremes they always seem to be on point but with Diana solo, not so much , Surrender and Baby Its Me suffered as a result. with EIE, the lp was rushed out with no single until a year later

Bluebrock any clues on why the briliant "TCB" NBC special remains unavailable on DVD or download?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Bluebrock any clues on why the briliant "TCB" NBC special remains unavailable on DVD or download?
    Great question. "On Broadway" as well.

Talking

[QUOTE=sup_fan;342658]I agree that they should have done a Chic single in there. between It's My Turn, One More, Cryin and Endless Love, it was too many power ballads. IMO the two best ones where the hits. in regards to One More, I think the ending was a bit too much. too overwrought. Cryin is good but too little too late.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Stay With Me" was the sure fire hit. "One More Chance" and "Cryin'" were just nice album tracks that never stood a hoot of a chance as singles. To be honest i think "After You" would have sold better than either one of those songs.
    There were just so many more hits from the "diana" album to be had. "Now That You're Gone", "Have Fun" "Give Up" all had huge potential to do really well. The public fully embraced this funky new Diana but alas, she was leaving motown.

My own little question for you dear Bluebrock....Do you know anything more as to why "Naked At The Feast" never happened other than the tv movie version being made first?. Rumours of it about to go into production with various directors went on for years.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.

[QUOTE=Ollie9;342730]
    I agree that they should have done a Chic single in there. between It's My Turn, One More, Cryin and Endless Love, it was too many power ballads. IMO the two best ones where the hits. in regards to One More, I think the ending was a bit too much. too overwrought. Cryin is good but too little too late.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Stay With Me" was the sure fire hit. "One More Chance" and "Cryin'" were just nice album tracks that never stood a hoot of a chance as singles. To be honest i think "After You" would have sold better than either one of those songs.
    There were just so many more hits from the "diana" album to be had. "Now That You're Gone", "Have Fun" "Give Up" all had huge potential to do really well. The public fully embraced this funky new Diana but alas, she was leaving motown.

My own little question for you dear Bluebrock....Do you know anything more as to why "Naked At The Feast" never happened other than the tv movie version being made first?. Rumours of it about to go into production with various directors went on for years.
    Diana wanted to play Josephine Baker so badly. She worked hard on the project spending lots of time and her own money on research. She even based herself in France to immerse herself in the role. She was devastated when the project fell through and talked at length about it for many years. I cannot divulge a confidence here but she did everything in her power to get the project off the ground, but was met with resistance at so many levels. I am not saying that Diana was totally blameless. She wasn't but certain people in the business moved heaven on earth to ensure this project would never get off the ground. Similar [[but less severe) problems occurred later when Diana was supposed to play a concentration camp inmate for a TV movie on ABC just after "out of darkness". I was with her at the time in the States [[one of only a handful of times that i worked with her in the States).

Bluebrock - interesting! i'd not heard of that concentration camp role. I thought I heard that Diana was signed to do 3 tv movies in the 90s. but we obviously only got 2

Also do you have any more insight into FBTP and the delays with the release? why was the timing of the release of the album and the major concert tour so out of whack?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    The standard response is that they both have multi-financiers and unable to come to a equitable decision on price.
    On the more recent possibilities, it is said Diana is holding back approval. Her initial solo tour, "Live at Royal Albert Music Hall", the elements were set for print and at the last minute, it got pulled.
    also "The More Today than Yesterday Tour 2011-" was supposedly filmed. Chudney tweeted that she was assembling elements for a home video and that never came to fruition.

Bluebrock - interesting! i'd not heard of that concentration camp role. I thought I heard that Diana was signed to do 3 tv movies in the 90s. but we obviously only got 2

Also do you have any more insight into FBTP and the delays with the release? why was the timing of the release of the album and the major concert tour so out of whack?
    We scheduled the release of it in the UK to coincide with her show stopping appearance on the Royal Variety Show. We had Diana with us for the best part of six weeks and she was eager to promote the album in the UK. We timed it perfectly! It was a joyous time and it was during this time that we bonded in a big way. I could not possibly comment upon it's USA release schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    The standard response is that they both have multi-financiers and unable to come to a equitable decision on price.
    On the more recent possibilities, it is said Diana is holding back approval. Her initial solo tour, "Live at Royal Albert Music Hall", the elements were set for print and at the last minute, it got pulled.
    also "The More Today than Yesterday Tour 2011-" was supposedly filmed. Chudney tweeted that she was assembling elements for a home video and that never came to fruition.
    I cannot add anything to that. Sorry, but i just don't know for
    sure.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;342752]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Diana wanted to play Josephine Baker so badly. She worked hard on the project spending lots of time and her own money on research. She even based herself in France to immerse herself in the role. She was devastated when the project fell through and talked at length about it for many years. I cannot divulge a confidence here but she did everything in her power to get the project off the ground, but was met with resistance at so many levels. I am not saying that Diana was totally blameless. She wasn't but certain people in the business moved heaven on earth to ensure this project would never get off the ground. Similar [[but less severe) problems occurred later when Diana was supposed to play a concentration camp inmate for a TV movie on ABC just after "out of darkness". I was with her at the time in the States [[one of only a handful of times that i worked with her in the States).
    I remember reading about the concentration camp survivor film. It was to be based on the life story of Valaida Snow. A beautiful and extrodinary woman who was a jazz vocalist, renowned trumpet player and also a conductor who led an all female jazz band. What a great film it would have made.
    Getting back to "Naked At The Feast". Was it not true that Diana wanted complete control of the project and that is where the problems to get the film off the ground lay?.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-03-2016 at 05:32 AM.

[QUOTE=Ollie9;342730]

Couldn't agree more - Stay With Me was the standout track from To Love Again and somebody at EMI in the UK screwed up royally in not recognising this and releasing it as a single.

I respect Reese's opinion on One More Chance but for me and events would seem to back this up it was one of her worst ever singles second only to Eaten Alive - it was disjointed and a complete mess. No surprise it mostly flopped, Diana's name alone carried it into the top 50 in the UK.

Cryin' My Heart Out For You suffered in the wake of Chance - it was a good record with an excellent vocal from Diana and had it been the first single instead of Chance it would have done pretty well.

Things seemed to be in flux at Motown in the US after diana with her contract nearing expiry.

It's My Turn was a class song but because it followed quickly on the heels of Upside Down and I'm Coming Out and lingered on the charts [[and we've all heard the rumours behind this) any further success for diana tracks from diana was lost.

Had My Old Piano been released hot on the heels of the first two singles instead of a year and a half later when Diana was long gone and Motown not really interested in promoting her it would surely have shot up the charts.

[QUOTE=florence;342815]

Couldn't agree more - Stay With Me was the standout track from To Love Again and somebody at EMI in the UK screwed up royally in not recognising this and releasing it as a single.

I respect Reese's opinion on One More Chance but for me and events would seem to back this up it was one of her worst ever singles second only to Eaten Alive - it was disjointed and a complete mess. No surprise it mostly flopped, Diana's name alone carried it into the top 50 in the UK.

Cryin' My Heart Out For You suffered in the wake of Chance - it was a good record with an excellent vocal from Diana and had it been the first single instead of Chance it would have done pretty well.

Things seemed to be in flux at Motown in the US after diana with her contract nearing expiry.

It's My Turn was a class song but because it followed quickly on the heels of Upside Down and I'm Coming Out and lingered on the charts [[and we've all heard the rumours behind this) any further success for diana tracks from diana was lost.

Had My Old Piano been released hot on the heels of the first two singles instead of a year and a half later when Diana was long gone and Motown not really interested in promoting her it would surely have shot up the charts.
    Florence, I guess I'm the only one who hasn't heard the rumors. What occurred during It's My Turn's time on the charts? I know it remained on the charts for quite a long while.

[QUOTE=JohnnyB;342819]
    Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

Florence, I guess I'm the only one who hasn't heard the rumors. What occurred during It's My Turn's time on the charts? I know it remained on the charts for quite a long while.
    In CALL HER MISS ROSS, it was written that Diana feeling she was lied to about the sales of IT'S MY TURN might have been the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to her decision to leave Motown. She assumed a top 10 single sold more than the 400,000 or so copies she was told it sold. The book went on to allege that Motown used its influence at Billboard magazine to keep the record in the top 10, while they were renegotiating with Diana.

[QUOTE=reese;342822]

In CALL HER MISS ROSS, it was written that Diana feeling she was lied to about the sales of IT'S MY TURN might have been the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to her decision to leave Motown. She assumed a top 10 single sold more than the 400,000 or so copies she was told it sold. The book went on to allege that Motown used its influence at Billboard magazine to keep the record in the top 10, while they were renegotiating with Diana.
    Yes, I do remember that now. Thank you! It's interesting to hear a record company may have that type of influence.

I would be hesitant to believe some of the sales figures and counts in Call Her Miss Ross. Motown was notorious for having incomplete data on sales figures and also not providing ready access to them.

[QUOTE=Ollie9;342812]

I remember reading about the concentration camp survivor film. It was to be based on the life story of Valaida Snow. A beautiful and extrodinary woman who was a jazz vocalist, renowned trumpet player and also a conductor who led an all female jazz band. What a great film it would have made.
    Getting back to "Naked At The Feast". Was it not true that Diana wanted complete control of the project and that is where the problems to get the film off the ground lay?.
    Yes that is true Ollie. She wanted complete creative control. She wanted toichose the cast, director, office cat, and she wanted to produce the film herself. All this went down like a lead balloon , and despite the success of "out of darkness" the production never got off the ground. Diana was not a happy bunny i can tell you.

I also heard that a guy was hired to write the screen play, took the money and then disappeared. I just remembered it was supposed tobe called Black Snow

I also heard that a guy was hired to write the screen play, took the money and then disappeared. I just remembered it was supposed tobe called Black Snow
    Never heard that working title. The one I remember is "Hot Snow." Pity it never came to fruition; Valaida Snow was truly a fascinating, complex figure who led a remarkable yet short life. This would have been a perfect vehicle for Miss Ross. Sigh...

That's the name I remember. "Hot Snow". Too bad it didn't get made. Diana could have made so many more movies.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;342853]
    Yes that is true Ollie. She wanted complete creative control. She wanted toichose the cast, director, office cat, and she wanted to produce the film herself. All this went down like a lead balloon , and despite the success of "out of darkness" the production never got off the ground. Diana was not a happy bunny i can tell you.
    Do you think if Diana had conceded a little and accepted the role of say say an Executuve Producer the project might have eventually found it's way on to the big screen?. Even Streisand with her long proven track record had a lot of trouble getting anyone to believe in her vision of Yentl. Might it have been the huge failure at the box office of the Wiz that made some studios reluctant to invest in her even though many years had passed since that film?.

[QUOTE=Ollie9;342910]

Do you think if Diana had conceded a little and accepted the role of say say an Executuve Producer the project might have eventually found it's way on to the big screen?. Even Streisand with her long proven track record had a lot of trouble getting anyone to believe in her vision of Yentl. Might it have been the huge failure at the box office of the Wiz that made some studios reluctant to invest in her even though many years had passed since that film?.
    It was always meant to be a TV movie Ollie. It was very complex and complicated and i am not in a position to add much more.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock
    It was always meant to be a TV movie Ollie. It was very complex and complicated and i am not in a position to add much more.[/QUOTE]

Thats alright Bluebrock, i understand. I was referring to "Naked At The Feast". Was that not intended for the big screen?.

P.S The originally posted by box seems to have gone a little upside down on me.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-04-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Thats alright Bluebrock, i understand. I was referring to "Naked At The Feast". Was that not intended for the big screen?.

P.S The originally posted by box seems to have gone a little upside down on me.
    Sorry Ollie. My mistake. Getting my screenplays mixed up. Yes you are quite right about NTTF being intended for the big screen.

Sorry Ollie. My mistake. Getting my screenplays mixed up. Yes you are quite right about NTTF being intended for the big screen.
    I remember a blurb in JET magazine when talk about "Naked at the Feast" first surfaced, circa 1981. It was supposed to be a big-budget film. The figure $50 million rings in my head, but I don't know if that is just faulty memory on my part.

Later, there were also press released when it seemed that Diana had made a deal with the TNT cable network. Not sure what happened there. I'm sure it must have been a huge blow when HBO's production with Lynn Whitfield aired.

I remember a blurb in JET magazine when talk about "Naked at the Feast" first surfaced, circa 1981. It was supposed to be a big-budget film. The figure $50 million rings in my head, but I don't know if that is just faulty memory on my part.

Later, there were also press released when it seemed that Diana had made a deal with the TNT cable network. Not sure what happened there. I'm sure it must have been a huge blow when HBO's production with Lynn Whitfield aired.
    It was a huge blow when production began. Diana had calmed down by the time the movie aired and she actually confessed to enjoying it!

[QUOTE=reese;342822]

If they had that kind of influence, I wish they had used it on some of her other singles and albums....Baby Its Me could have used it

I do remember a deal with TNT but nothing ever happened , obviously. not sure what happened but someone once said, if you want everything, sometimes you come up with nothing. ??

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;342752]
    Bluerock...
    I do remember hearing about Diana working on the Josephine Baker project. One question that I was never quite sure on though, was it intended to be a big screen picture or tv film ?

we all know I adore DR, but when I found out that she had passed on "The Bodyguard" with Ryan O Neil, I threw my hands up in regard to a film career... just crazy!!