[REMOVE ADS]

Chris Rock targets race and Hollywood in Oscars opening monologue

Fuck Hollywood. I'm not paying to see any movie that doesn't at have Black folks in at least a speaking role. We are 16% of the population and over 30% of the ticket buying population, yet they do period pieces with roles that we're "not right for". They take the money and don't feel the need to give us roles in the movies we're paying to see. How stupid are we? Robert Townsend's "Hollywood Shuffle" came out nearly 30 years ago and everything it showed about the industry is still just as true now as it was then. Fuck Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Fuck Hollywood. I'm not paying to see any movie that doesn't at have Black folks in at least a speaking role. We are 16% of the population and over 30% of the ticket buying population, yet they do period pieces with roles that we're "not right for". They take the money and don't feel the need to give us roles in the movies we're paying to see. How stupid are we? Robert Townsend's "Hollywood Shuffle" came out nearly 30 years ago and everything it showed about the industry is still just as true now as it was then. Fuck Hollywood.
    Jerry it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out over the coming year.

It doesn't matter to me. I already had an issue with it and my mind has been cemented to spend my loot where it is appreciated. I shouldn't be wasting it on entertainment anyway.

I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers' films; I find them to be great in a mediocre movie making age. But their new film, "Hail Caesar", is another example of a flick that ignores Black people altogether. I checked the cast list on IMDB and the only people of color are a couple of Asian people who pop up at a Chinese restaurant. I think about all of their other movies and can only remember Black folks popping up in two of them, "Ladykillers" and "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

I'll watch what comes on HBO and Netflix, but I'm not spending money on movies with non-diverse casts any more. The Oscars are only reflective of the fact that Black actors typically don't get plum roles after they win the award. Monique got blacklisted [[what a word...), Jamie Foxx hasn't had a great role since "Ray", Whoopi was in garbage after "Ghost", and Cuba Gooding Jr. and Halle Berry haven't been challenged at all with any films of depth since they won.

Look at the roles that Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, et.al. receive on a routine basis. No wonder people of color don't get nominated. They barely get roles in "important" movies. It's cool if the people who run the industry reward who they want to reward, but it sure isn't fair.

Hey jerry i hear ya loud an clear and you're absolutely right,but we know how this goes..the academy is run by old white dudes who will only vote on what they like...[as good as kirk douglas was,i don't think he ever won]...and he's white!!! My suggestion is that with the money in black hollywood-oprah-spike-tyler,start a studio that's tailored toward black productions and have an awards show of our own.

It doesn't matter to me. I already had an issue with it and my mind has been cemented to spend my loot where it is appreciated. I shouldn't be wasting it on entertainment anyway.

I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers' films; I find them to be great in a mediocre movie making age. But their new film, "Hail Caesar", is another example of a flick that ignores Black people altogether. I checked the cast list on IMDB and the only people of color are a couple of Asian people who pop up at a Chinese restaurant. I think about all of their other movies and can only remember Black folks popping up in two of them, "Ladykillers" and "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

I'll watch what comes on HBO and Netflix, but I'm not spending money on movies with non-diverse casts any more. The Oscars are only reflective of the fact that Black actors typically don't get plum roles after they win the award. Monique got blacklisted [[what a word...), Jamie Foxx hasn't had a great role since "Ray", Whoopi was in garbage after "Ghost", and Cuba Gooding Jr. and Halle Berry haven't been challenged at all with any films of depth since they won.

Look at the roles that Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, George Clooney, et.al. receive on a routine basis. No wonder people of color don't get nominated. They barely get roles in "important" movies. It's cool if the people who run the industry reward who they want to reward, but it sure isn't fair.

If Hollywood loses minority ticket buyers, it's all over for the industry!
    Last edited by marv2; 03-01-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey jerry i hear ya loud an clear and you're absolutely right,but we know how this goes..the academy is run by old white dudes who will only vote on what they like...[as good as kirk douglas was,i don't think he ever won]...and he's white!!! My suggestion is that with the money in black hollywood-oprah-spike-tyler,start a studio that's tailored toward black productions and have an awards show of our own.

Winfrey, Perry and Will Smith own their own production companies now.

The video has been blocked by Disney. Of course they blocked it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Winfrey, Perry and Will Smith own their own production companies now.
    Yeah, but they don't own distribution companies and as music fans, we know that one without the other is pointless.

Yeah, but they don't own distribution companies and as music fans, we know that one without the other is pointless.
    I hear you, but you know what? How much more of an effort would it take any of them to set up distribution......maybe with the help of Earvin Magic Johnson who has build several multi-plex theaters in cities around the country?
    Last edited by marv2; 03-01-2016 at 11:30 PM.

honest man Guest
    Diana Ross had an oscar nomination once right.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Diana Ross had an oscar nomination once right.
    Who???????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    My suggestion is that with the money in black hollywood-oprah-spike-tyler,start a studio that's tailored toward black productions and have an awards show of our own.
    But, most White people would not watch it or care.

Oh i think they would,first out of curiousity and then slowly the numbers would increase.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    But, most White people would not watch it or care.
    Don't be so sure. When Fox began its network, the shows only came on Sunday night and if I recall correctly [[too lazy to Google right now), its lineup consisted of "Martin", "Roc", and "In Living Color" sometime in its first two years. Later, they brought on "The Jamie Foxx Show", "New York Undercover", and "Living Single". All of these shows did very well with White audiences for years before the network expanded to seven nights a week and decided that good ratings no longer mattered and began broadcasting the same crap that the other networks offered. In the last couple of seasons, they began showing "Rosewood" and Lee Daniels' "Empire". White audiences will watch and enjoy Black-centered fare if it offers quality and good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    who???????????????????
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ...marv you ain't right,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa!!!