[REMOVE ADS]

60's Girl Group Disc Guide

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/784147

Hope the price comes down.

What an exciting find, blueskies! I was all set to order a copy until I checked it out on eBay where it shows some sample pages. They were kind of blurry, but from what I could tell, the book about American girl groups is written in Japanese including the 45 picture sleeves that were shown. Artist name and song title on each sleeve were illegible.

Here's what I mean. [[If you click on the sample pages within, they'll enlarge a bit.):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-GIRL-SOU...AAAOSwqYBWoGsc

Also, the Japanese eBay dealer is asking $50.00 plus $17.00 EMS shipping [[which covers Expedited shipping and Insurance).

A book honoring American girl groups is a great idea, and it could have been outstanding, but to feature American artists in a language other than English seems redundant, especially when the book contains only 144 pages, which isn't all that much considering the hefty price.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-17-2016 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks for investigating that, Gary. Yikes! I only saw it offered at Dusty Groove and they did not provide any samples to inspect. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the foot work!

Says it sold out!

For me the best book on Girl-Groups is John Clemente's Girl Groups: Fabulous Females That Rocked the World

Alan Betrock's Girl-Groups : The Story Of A Sound is highly recommended, too :

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by phil; 02-17-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    For me the best book on Girl-Groups is John Clemente's Girl Groups: Fabulous Females That Rocked the World

John's book is outstanding. I have it on my Nook. It lists possibly every single girl group ever recorded on vinyl during the 60's. Extremely thorough and well-researched. Something over 800 pages.

John's book is outstanding. I have it on my Nook. It lists possibly every single girl group ever recorded on vinyl during the 60's. Extremely thorough and well-researched. Something over 800 pages.

Yeah, Phil and antceleb12. Those books hold a precious spot in my book collection, too. I got to know John Clemente back around the year 2001. He's a really nice guy. I often wonder what he's up to these days. Maybe he's been busy working on Girl Groups [[Vol. 2)!!! Let's hope!

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Thanks for investigating that, Gary. Yikes! I only saw it offered at Dusty Groove and they did not provide any samples to inspect. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the foot work!
    You're welcome, blueskies. Before I realized what that book actually is [[or isn't), I tried to order it from Dusty Groove, but, to do so, they make you create an account with a password and all that. I didn't feel like going through that mess for a one-time purchase, so I checked out Amazon [[U.S.) and eBay to see if I could order a copy directly from them. Amazon didn't have it, and eBay....well, you know the rest. If it hadn't been for eBay showing the sample pages, I would have gone on thinking that the book is amazingly wonderful, as Dusty Groove had claimed, and would have undoubtedly ended up owning a disappointing, illegible copy of it.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-17-2016 at 04:34 PM.

I can't tell if this is an expanded edition or is a new book?

Last edited by blueskies; 02-17-2016 at 04:53 PM.

I have no idea, blueskies. My copy matches the book covers shown above. I've never seen your cover before. If I have time later tonight, I'll check it out and let you know.

I believe it's a new cover for the same book. I checked mine and it has the foreword by Ellie Greenwich, too. Same trick with DVD's.

I believe it's a new cover for the same book. I checked mine and it has the foreword by Ellie Greenwich, too. Same trick with DVD's.
    From an amazon review 2013:

This GIANT book [[623 pages) is a LOT larger than Clemente's 2000 original edition of 276 pages-- which means you get 347 more pages of girl-group lore: stories, updates... and more pictures! It's a must-read tome for anyone even remotely interested in a genre of music which flourished mightily on the charts from the mid 1950s through the 1980s... and 82 artists are covered, 22 more than the original 60 in the 2000 edition.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    From an amazon review 2013:

This GIANT book [[623 pages) is a LOT larger than Clemente's 2000 original edition of 276 pages-- which means you get 347 more pages of girl-group lore: stories, updates... and more pictures! It's a must-read tome for anyone even remotely interested in a genre of music which flourished mightily on the charts from the mid 1950s through the 1980s... and 82 artists are covered, 22 more than the original 60 in the 2000 edition.
    Thanks, blueskies. I had no idea that John Clemente's excellent Girl Group book had been expanded and reissued in 2013 until now. I just ordered a new copy from a dealer on eBay for $39.00. [[If anyone is interested, he still has 9 new copies left for sale.)