[REMOVE ADS]

Looking back a few years...1963

The Sunliners, pre Rare Earth, in New York City. Got this from Fred Saxon last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Ralph you know I love your old picture collection. These are amazing! Would you be offended if I told you that I turned 3 years old the month these were taken? LOL!

Marv

The hair, the shoes and OMG the neck ties! LOL!!!

Well, you can call me old-fashioned, but I think you all look pretty darned sharp, there.

I inwardly wince when I see men in the media these days, sometimes in high profile positions, presenting programmes or being interviewed, tie-less. No style, as if they've just wandered in from their backyard, on their day off.....

For those of us here who aren't entirely sure, can you tell us just who is who, from left to right, in those two pictures, please...?

Well Marv, you're just a young pup.

From L to R..

Fred Saxon, John Parrish, Brother Russ, Pete Rivera, Yours truly and Gil Bridges

Second pic.
    Me, looking at Fred who must had taken the shot, Russ, back to the camera, John Parrish, Gil Bridges, Pete Rivera.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Well Marv, you're just a young pup.

From L to R..

Fred Saxon, John Parrish, Brother Russ, Pete Rivera, Yours truly and Gil Bridges
    Strange, I don't feel so young, some days. I am noticing how much Time Square has changed since then. You guys were very lucky [[or courageous) most guys would have loved to be in a band in the sixties. I picked you, Russ and Pete out immediately. Do you remember what hotel you guys stayed at?

We were in NYC twice, Marv. First time only one week. We stayed at the St. James on 45th St. A real dump. When we returned later in the spring for a long engagement we stayed at the Hotel America on 47th St. A little threadbare, but clean and comfortable.

great pics

edafan

I now have the Sunliners picture on my wall of fame
    Last edited by edafan; 02-09-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Wow! Thank you edafan.

We were in NYC twice, Marv. First time only one week. We stayed at the St. James on 45th St. A real dump. When we returned later in the spring for a long engagement we stayed at the Hotel America on 47th St. A little threadbare, but clean and comfortable.
    Yeah those places are long gone. Heck, many of the clubs we went to in the 80s and 90s are gone. NYC changes constantly and everything seems different every 10 years.

The last time I was in NYC was probably around 71. I was doing a photo shoot for the Stony and Meatloaf album. I know things have really changed.

The last time I was in NYC was probably around 71. I was doing a photo shoot for the Stony and Meatloaf album. I know things have really changed.
    Extremely overbuilt now.

Hey ralph,nice pics..ironically the last time i was in the big apple was[1971]also a new building was going up at the time...the world trade center....1963 great year,i discovered the music of a group that i became very fond of...the temptations.

Another oldie...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...great shot,and look at that black car in the background[olds???]looks like the batmobile..more pics ralph!!!

Name:  Sunliners 16.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  96.7 KB
    Another oldie...
    There's a guy out of camera range yelling
    " STICK EM UP"
    Last edited by edafan; 02-11-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Here's a picture of me fronting my band, called Big Band Revival,
    around 1970Name:  ed big band rev.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  61.5 KB

edafan

Another oldie...

You see, now that is an iconic looking photo. It captures perfectly youth in the big city in the early 60s! My picture of me right where you guys are in that pic was taken Halloween night in 1986! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...great shot,and look at that black car in the background[olds???]looks like the batmobile..more pics ralph!!!
    It sure does. The look of Times Square then reminds of this cop show we use watch from those days called "Naked City" LOL!

Ed, I didn't know you were were a musician/performer. Where was this taken?

Great shot, ED. You holding a trombone?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ed, I didn't know you were were a musician/performer. Where was this taken?
    about 1970. A bunch of high school teachers: We formed a band and we kept practicing to play a scholarship dance. We kept it up from 1965 - 1979. We called ourselves Big Band Revival. We played concerts, a few convention and a few wedddings. It was a lot of fun.

edafan

Great shot, ED. You holding a trombone?
    yes; After high school, I joined the musicians union; played gigs and in the North Shore Philharmonic Orchestra during the winter in my college years. After that a bunch of teachers formed Big Band Revival from 1965 - 1979. Then I packed the trombone away. Two famous people: My trombone teacher in Lynn MA was Aaron Harris, one of John Phillips Sousa's soloists. My conductor in the N S Phil was Rolland Tapley; in the Guinness book of records as the longest playing fiddle player ever with the Boston Symphony. My college did not have a band, but I kept it up for 20 years.

edafan

Very cool, Ed. Thanks for posting this.

What sort of material were you playing? From the band name I assume big band charts. I always wondered what it would have been like to be in a big band. What a blast.

What sort of material were you playing? From the band name I assume big band charts. I always wondered what it would have been like to be in a big band. What a blast.
    yes; all the big band charts; the guys loved the Count Basie stuff; so we played a lot of them during rehearsals; we had 18 pieces. Here's a funny I shared with drummer Uriel Jones; our drummer wasn't too good; and he screwed up royally in the tempo change in McArthur's Park at a concert for the town for letting us practice free of charge; and our leader was absent that day; thank god we were all lost; the tenor sax lead stands up; back to the audience; yells to us; I am counting down; when I get to 0; we are at 352 10 9 8

another great story was our trumpet player; a great player did his student teaching in my old h s band after I graduated; some of the kids were making fun of old Aaron Harris; trying to teach them brass instruments; he put them in their place; you don't know who this guy is.

edafan

I was always a fan of Basie. It must have been a real trip playing his charts.

in his later years he would lead the band and strike very few keys; what a riot

edafan

Yeah, he was always a strong advocate of "its what you don't play that counts".

Great photos. Thanks for posting.

Is it ok to post on Facebook. Melandthensome might not see them on here?

Of course, John.

We just had a little Big Band Revival reunion. Of course it was at a funeral for one of our former members. This member was also the director of music in our town. The guys actually brought their horns and played What A Wonderful World; Over The Rainbow, We'll Be Together Again, There will Never Be Another You, and All Of Me. They asked me if I had my trombone. I put it away in 1980.
    It was great to talk music with them again.

edafan