[REMOVE ADS]

Michael Jackson: From Motown to Off The Wall on Showtime

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I missed this show because I don't have Showtime on my cable. I learned after the fact that a neighbor has Showtime and I could have gone there to see the show. Does anyone know if this will be repeated in the future on Showtime or if it is available on a DVD?

Thanks.

It is going to be available on DVD and BD disc when the "Off The Wall" reissue is released. I will not buy it for two reasons that none of you care about: they did not use the original 1979 mixes for "Rock With You" and "Get On The Floor", and then they used a "Mastered for iTunes" master for the CD. I mean, WTF??? They used an iTunes master? They were so lazy they couldn't go back to the original analog master tapes for a deluxe product like this? They restored the original album cover, so why not go all the way?

Rip-off city, man!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I missed this show because I don't have Showtime on my cable. I learned after the fact that a neighbor has Showtime and I could have gone there to see the show. Does anyone know if this will be repeated in the future on Showtime or if it is available on a DVD?

Thanks.
    I managed to watch most of the documentary and I must say it was pretty good film. Showtime will probably show it again [[many times). Harry Weinger, Valerie Simpson and Suzanne DePasse all give interviews, in addition to many many other musicians and producers. It is definitely worth checking out if you get a chance.

I watched it on Showtime On Demand and those who have On Demand/Showtime can watch it right now!

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I managed to watch most of the documentary and I must say it was pretty good film. Showtime will probably show it again [[many times). Harry Weinger, Valerie Simpson and Suzanne DePasse all give interviews, in addition to many many other musicians and producers. It is definitely worth checking out if you get a chance.
    Did Bobby Taylor get interviewed for it?

I didn't see him this was about 'record label' business not about the origins of The Jackson 5

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Did Bobby Taylor get interviewed for it?
    Bobby who?

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I didn't see him this was about 'record label' business not about the origins of The Jackson 5
    He was extremely involved with the "record label" business regarding the boys at Motown.

not as far as Spike Lee is concerned take it up with him

don't worry, they didn't credit Gladys OR Diana for that matter, none of that was a concern in this particular storyline

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It is going to be available on DVD and BD disc when the "Off The Wall" reissue is released. I will not buy it for two reasons that none of you care about: they did not use the original 1979 mixes for "Rock With You" and "Get On The Floor", and then they used a "Mastered for iTunes" master for the CD. I mean, WTF??? They used an iTunes master? They were so lazy they couldn't go back to the original analog master tapes for a deluxe product like this? They restored the original album cover, so why not go all the way?

Rip-off city, man!
    TOTALLY agree... not just that... what about the full length version of Rock With You that was only issued on a Japanese 12".... and also full versions of "Off the wall" and "Get on the floor" which have recently leaked... granted they're from multi tracks but we're talking a third verse in Get on the floor and an extra minute and a half of ad libs for "off The Wall"...... Sony missed a trick here.... whatever happened to the supposed "Off the wall 30th" which was going to be remastered by Q and was to feature unheard material.....will definitely give this rip-off a miss....... Wonder what they got in store for 2019?!!?!

RossHolloway Guest
    This documentary was more focused on MJ's transition from a child entertainer and lead singer of the Jackson 5 to his adult musical career. I thought that it was very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    TOTALLY agree... not just that... what about the full length version of Rock With You that was only issued on a Japanese 12".... and also full versions of "Off the wall" and "Get on the floor" which have recently leaked... granted they're from multi tracks but we're talking a third verse in Get on the floor and an extra minute and a half of ad libs for "off The Wall"...... Sony missed a trick here.... whatever happened to the supposed "Off the wall 30th" which was going to be remastered by Q and was to feature unheard material.....will definitely give this rip-off a miss....... Wonder what they got in store for 2019?!!?!
    Well, the two lawyers who are in charge of the estate are calling the shots now.

And, thank you for not ignoring my post. I know most of this forum aren't audiophiles, but this goes further than just sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    This documentary was more focused on MJ's transition from a child entertainer and lead singer of the Jackson 5 to his adult musical career. I thought that it was very well done.
    The subject matter was supposed to be the album though so you can say they did a good job with the Motown portion... I think Quincy is suing the estate now so that's why we don't get his output. Rod Temperton hates the spotlight, Louis Johnson has unfortunately passed on, etc.

In hindsight, it did seem more like a Motown docu than an OTW docu.

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Epic is basically doing this for the casuals. The fans who already have the album won't be buying it again unless the CD/vinyl was all scratched up.

real fans, like Beatles or Supremes fans, buy and collect EVERYTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Epic is basically doing this for the casuals. The fans who already have the album won't be buying it again unless the CD/vinyl was all scratched up.
    Well, you probably have that backward. The fans would buy remasters and deluxe packages, and the casual fans won't spend the money. And we audiophiles care about the sound and finer details.

Epic isn't doing this. Jackson's estate is. They own the masters, All Sony does is manufacture and distribute with the estate's permission.