[REMOVE ADS]

Johnny Gill - Rub You the Right Way

One of the best records of the early 90's! Party time!

He was touted as Motown's Teddy Pendergrass ,and whilst he had TP's vocal chops it never really happened for him. I remember seeing him support Janet Jackson and he literally blew her off the stage. Not too difficult you might say but whilst Ms Jackson mimed to a pre recorded vocal Johnny Gill was 100% live and he was magnificent. This guy should have been a superstar.

I always wondered why Johnny did not become a bigger name in soul music, for me he was best in ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I always wondered why Johnny did not become a bigger name in soul music, for me he was best in ballads.
    There are a number of possible factors. Motown initially supported him but after a while they appeared to lose interest. Another factor was something in his private life. A waste of an outstanding talent.
    You are right jack020 when you say he was a master with the ballads.

Another factor was something in his private life.

You mean him and Eddie Murphy?

That was a rumor, hehehehehehehe...........

i didn't mean that specifically but i think you kind of know what i am saying. He was being promoted as a heart throb and sex symbol for the female audience but alas...........

Well, we know what happened to Tevin Campbell!

Well, we know what happened to Tevin Campbell!
    Indeed we do. He wasn't as good as Johnny but he sure as hell could carry at une well enough.

Might have to do with a management shakeup in Motown at the time that contributed to why Johnny didn't get more promotion after his Motown debut did so well [[the self-titled album was his first Motown album if I recall; he had done two solo records for Cotillion Records and a duet album with Stacy Lattisaw prior to this and, of course, he found success as the new-ish member [[at the time) of New Edition). Johnny has had a storied fueled career in the music business. His Motown tenure should've done better than it did. He was everywhere in 1990 though.

Yes he was, and it looked like he was going to be the next big thing, yet somehow his New edition colleague Bobby Brown stole the limelight and became a superstar. This must have been frustrating for Johnny who had more talent in his little finger than Bobby ever had.

I always wondered if Gill wouldn't have fared well somewhere other than Motown. During the time he was signed, the company was sold three times; MCA in 1991, PolyGram in 1994, and finally Universal in 1999.

Seems like several talented artists from that era somehow got lost in the shuffle.

Loved the Jam Rub you the Right Way - Johnny still killing it but just cant seem to get that killer jam to put him over. Behind Closed Doors was off the charts. As far as his sexuality no one really cares anymore.

He also did concerts and Jams that are at the top of my music with Eddie Levert and Keith Sweat after leaving Motown.
    Name:  712QUAJpxYL._SL1425_.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  80.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Might have to do with a management shakeup in Motown at the time that contributed to why Johnny didn't get more promotion after his Motown debut did so well [[the self-titled album was his first Motown album if I recall; he had done two solo records for Cotillion Records and a duet album with Stacy Lattisaw prior to this and, of course, he found success as the new-ish member [[at the time) of New Edition). Johnny has had a storied fueled career in the music business. His Motown tenure should've done better than it did. He was everywhere in 1990 though.
    Johnny's music was very popular. I remember the Four Tops with Levi singing "My, My, My" in concert.