[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder - Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer

So this song keeps going round and round in my head and I had to share this great vid. Maybe it's all been done before - but must be time for another outing. One of those songs you know about but [[in my case) tend to pass over but then it hits you I think. And how!

You're so right, mysterysinger. Stevie's "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer" is a gorgeous ballad. I personally rate it right up there with "Overjoyed" -- my favorite Stevie ballad.

"Overjoyed" was my wedding song, performed by Susaye.

I remember this song. What album was it from?

"Never Dreamed ..." was from Where I'm Coming From and "Overjoyed" was from In Square Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    "Never Dreamed ..." was from Where I'm Coming From and "Overjoyed" was from In Square Circle.

I have both albums, thanks. Heck, I have every Stevie Wonder album on vinyl back to "The Jazz Soul of Little Stevie". That one was my Dad's, I was too young to buy records in 1962! LOL!

The original recording by Stevie has three things which continue to nail it for me :

1. A sweet and simple melody, which could well have sounded MOR from anyone else, but made very effective with Stevie's heartfelt and hollered vocal [[I'm a sucker for a rough voice singing a sweet melody ).

2. The haunting arrangement with wind instruments and strings [[Paul Riser does it yet again), which beautifully underscores the poignancy of the lyrics.

3. That sustained, final note........

Stevie gave it his everything. He always does.

Joan Baez does a nice version of it on her Diamonds and Rust album!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Joan Baez does a nice version of it on her Diamonds and Rust album!
    Yes she does. It is further testament to Stevie that his songs are recorded by so many artists from so many genres and they nearly always work a treat. The Beatles and Bee Gees also had this great gift and of course HDH whose songs continue to attract artists old and new,
    Where are todays great songwriters i ask you who have this universal appeal?

Shouldn't we be asking this in about 20 years from now?

This was released as an A side in the UK coupled with "If You Really Love Me" as its B-side. It totally flopped.

After that, they issued "If You Really Love Me" as an A-side coupled with "Think Of Me As Your Soldier" and had a smash.

I managed to snaffle a copy of the original release [[TMG 779) and treasure it to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post

Shouldn't we be asking this in about 20 years from now?
    Point taken jack020 but if we are to be nick picky then where are the great songwriters from 20 years ago? Sure there was Luther but i am struggling with other people.

Very cool vid from stevie.