[REMOVE ADS]

Ready for love-martha and the vandellas

Wow,this just came on and i'm sitting here jammin,martha kicks soul butt on this one..from[1966]a motown classic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wow,this just came on and i'm sitting here jammin,martha kicks soul butt on this one..from[1966]a motown classic!!!
    I've always wondered if that's Martha singing all of those HIGH notes?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I've always wondered if that's Martha singing all of those HIGH notes?
    Im sure it is MaryBrewster. The First Lady of Motown Records Dr Martha Reeves has a real good range.

Fondly,

Roberta

Possibly my favourite Martha song. Then again..........

A great bass riff by James Jamerson that was pinched by the Jam for "A Town Called Malice".

Not Jamerson on this one 144man, or any other Funks, as the rhythm track was cut in L.A.

Still a great tune though!

I always liked the acoustic guitar [[very rare to have one on a Motown song, be it cut on Detroit or L.A).

Cheers

Paul

I am pretty sure that the track on this tune was one of Berry Gordy's early west coast projects with L.A. musicians...Bass in definitely not Jamersons syncopated style, and I can't think of any principal Motown drummer that played those type fills.

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post
    Not Jamerson on this one 144man, or any other Funks, as the rhythm track was cut in L.A.

I always liked the acoustic guitar [[very rare to have one on a Motown song, be it cut on Detroit or L.A).

Cheers

Paul
    My guess is...

Carol Kaye-Bass
    Earl Palmer [[or possibly Hal Blaine)-Drums
    Tommy Tedesco-Acoustic Guitar

Here's the recording dates from the session log, as published in 'Martha & the Vandellas - The 50th Anniversary Singles Collection'.

Track recorded August 12th 1966 in L.A.

Lead & background vocals recorded September 8th 1966

New & additional lead parts September 14th 1966

Strings overdubbed September 15th 1966

Cheers

Paul

This is one of my favorite Martha & the Vandellas songs. She still sings it well in concert.

Martha's "I'm Ready For Love" is one of my all-time favorite Martha tracks AND it's among my overall fave Motown tracks. It's pure H-D-H!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-06-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Martha's "I'm Ready For Love" is one of my all-time favorite Martha tracks AND overall fave Motown tracks. It's pure H-D-H!
    I think it may be her's too when I look at how she put her all into performing it years later. Here she is in 1987:

Quote Originally Posted by bradburger View Post

Cheers

Paul
    It just goes to show that you can never make assumptions...

It doesn't really matter all that much where and exactly when this was recorded. What does matter is that we have one of THE great motown songs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It doesn't really matter all that much where and exactly when this was recorded. What does matter is that we have one of THE great motown songs here.
    Agree that is a terrific song...however, it is quite significant when one speaks about the history of Motown. It was during that period that Berry Gordy began to entertain the idea of moving his operation to Los Angeles which ultimately led to a major redirection in the Motown Sound and the direction of the company. While the patented Funk Brothers rhythm tracks remained the primary and signature sound of Motown for several more years...BG was feeling his way around L.A. during the late 60's, lining up Los Angeles based musicians and producers, and began charting his move west.