[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

HELP unreleased Vandellas recording dates

Hello lovely people anybody have recording dates for Vandellas songs have checked DFTMC cannot locate any dates appreciated cheers 1 He'll hurt you so
    2 the love i feel for you
    3 the way he loves me, Thank You

Trivia question. How did you learn of these songs? What album/CD did they ever appear on? Never heard of any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Hello lovely people anybody have recording dates for Vandellas songs have checked DFTMC cannot locate any dates appreciated cheers 1 He'll hurt you so
    2 the love i feel for you
    3 the way he loves me, Thank You
    Is #2 [[the love I feel for you) the same as "I Can't Give Back the Love I Feel for You", Syreeta's first single? Interestingly, if it's the same song, supposedly it was written for DRATS. Diana later included the song on her "Surrender" LP.

can't trace either of these songs, honest man ... and as far as I know the Vandellas didn't cut "I Can't Give Back the Love I Feel for You"

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Trivia question. How did you learn of these songs? What album/CD did they ever appear on? Never heard of any of them.
    Hello mate iheard about these songs funnuly enough right here,there was a thread a few years ago the songs are from a cd Martha and Vandellas UNRELEASED MASTERS these 3 songs listed are the only ones not officially put out yet,the 3 songs sound early.mid ,late 60s to me,but still no official history yet,cheers,
    Keith complete different song from Can't give back the love,thanks

Hello mate iheard about these songs funnuly enough right here,there was a thread a few years ago the songs are from a cd Martha and Vandellas UNRELEASED MASTERS these 3 songs listed are the only ones not officially put out yet,the 3 songs sound early.mid ,late 60s to me,but still no official history yet,cheers,
    Keith complete different song from Can't give back the love,thanks
    Perhaps Roberta is the one who can answer this question. She is the expert on Martha Reeves. I never heard of a CD Unreleased Masters.

Scroll down this thread to see a post about a MR&TV album called "Unreleased Masters". http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...leased+masters
    I've never seen it, 'though.

I heard Martha ask about a track she recorded called "I Love The Way He Loves Me."

It was probably me who posted on here about this Martha CD which I picked up a few years ago..

The Unreleased Masters
    Martha & The Vandellas

Tracks are:
    Memories Are Made Of This
    Build Him Up
    All That Glitters Isn't Gold
    Coney Island
    Spellbound
    Contract On Love
    I Remember You
    I Can't Take It
    Time Changes Things
    I Want To Be With You Tonight
    I'm Gonna See For Myself
    It's Hard To Walk Away
    He'll Hurt You So
    Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
    Oh I've Been Blessed
    I'm So Glad You Belong To Me
    The Love I Feel For You
    Hooked On A Bad Thing
    Joy
    Build Your Love On A Strong Foundation
    I Love The Way He Loves Me

Attachment 11050

[QUOTE=mysterysinger;323210]It was probably me who posted on here about this Martha CD which I picked up a few years ago..

The Unreleased Masters
    Martha & The Vandellas

Would you be kind enough to post a picture of the back of the CD? I googled Marginal Records this morning and came across a lot of Motown-related CDs they issued. The listing that I looked at only had 167 releases and the only one I saw by Martha & the Vandellas was Hits and Rarities, the Unreleased Masters was not included in the listing that I saw. The writeup on Marginal records indicates they were released fro 1994 to 1998 and in limited runs of 500 copies each. Could someone else have issued this CD other than Marginal or BAR?

No it is not a Marginal release. The back of the CD won't really help you but the CD itself is a little more interesting and below is a scan of that. The CD appears to be dated 26/5/02 and I think I may have bought it not long after that [[and I very nearly didn't buy it). The CD was from a legit record shop in Manchester, UK.

The three tracks mentioned above are actually very good indeed, but "The Love I Feel For You" isn't the Rita Wright song. I was under the impression that all songs had been released now officially but clearly I was wrong. Some of the ones on this CD are probably slightly different versions than those released and, in fact, some sound a little speeded up to me. Clearly these unreleased masters span some time in terms of recording dates.
    Attachment 11051

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    No it is not a Marginal release. The back of the CD won't really help you but the CD itself is a little more interesting and below is a scan of that. The CD appears to be dated 26/5/02 and I think I may have bought it not long after that [[and I very nearly didn't buy it). The CD was from a legit record shop in Manchester, UK.

The three tracks mentioned above are actually very good indeed, but "The Love I Feel For You" isn't the Rita Wright song. I was under the impression that all songs had been released now officially but clearly I was wrong. Some of the ones on this CD are probably slightly different versions than those released and, in fact, some sound a little speeded up to me. Clearly these unreleased masters span some time in terms of recording dates.
    Attachment 11051
    Thanks. I know that I will never be able to locate another copy of it. If it were Marginal, there might have been a ray of hope, but the flame went out. Thanks again. Consider yourself lucky you have this. When forum members get wind of unique items such as this they do other members a great favor by putting it on the forum. That's what it's all about.

I think "He'll hurt you so" is actually "You Just Wouldn't Listen" [[August 10, 1962) which we put out on Martha's Singles Collection. The lyric "he'll hurt you so" is repeated as often as the actual title. I have a feeling "the love I feel for you" are lyrics from another song and if I went thru and played them all I might find it. I doubt that it's the title. And yes, there is a song in the vaults called "I Love The Way He Loves Me' and Martha has asked about it. So far it's missed the compilations we've done. I really thought it came out already and when she asked I was surprised to find that it hadn't. I don't have the exact date but it's one of the later Martha recordings. There's still a lot of unreleased Martha. I wish we had to opportunity to get it out there!

I just did a little more checking... "I Love The Way He Loves Me" was originally on our singles collection but it got bumped when the CD was overtime. For the record, here was the original credit:

24. I Love The Way He Loves Me
    [[Sylvia Moy)
    Produced by Henry Cosby
    Track recorded May 22, 1970; various overdubs recorded June 2, 3 and 4; strings recorded at Golden World, June 9, 1970

I'm Getting Married - was also cut from the collection.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I think "He'll hurt you so" is actually "You Just Wouldn't Listen" [[August 10, 1962) which we put out on Martha's Singles Collection. The lyric "he'll hurt you so" is repeated as often as the actual title. I have a feeling "the love I feel for you" are lyrics from another song and if I went thru and played them all I might find it. I doubt that it's the title. And yes, there is a song in the vaults called "I Love The Way He Loves Me' and Martha has asked about it. So far it's missed the compilations we've done. I really thought it came out already and when she asked I was surprised to find that it hadn't. I don't have the exact date but it's one of the later Martha recordings. There's still a lot of unreleased Martha. I wish we had to opportunity to get it out there!
    Hello George thanks for stepping in,yes i played He'll hurt you so and it is You just would n't listen from 50th anniversary the copy i have is poor in comparasion,yes yo[U] solved last title from bootleg cd still unissued but cannot find from 50th Anniversay set the second song the way he loves me[ will have to try lost and found set soon,thank you again.

honest man Guest
    Hello George thanks for stepping in,yes i played He'll hurt you so and it is You just would n't listen from 50th anniversary the copy i have is poor in comparasion,yes yo[U] solved last title from bootleg cd still unissued but cannot find from 50th Anniversay set the second song the way he loves me[ will have to try lost and found set soon,thank you again.
    ok spellbound lost and found,Talking about love is the second song,so just the one George mentioned has yet to be released, thanks for all who helped solve this cheers.

ok spellbound lost and found,Talking about love is the second song,so just the one George mentioned has yet to be released, thanks for all who helped solve this cheers.
    Just like a good old-fashioned Soulful Detroit discussion!

That's great, thanks George for solving that and it's good to know that all bar one of the songs have now seen release [[and in much better quality).

The remaining one though is very good and at the start reminds me of the theme from The High Chaparral or even Telstar by The Tornados. Shame it missed out on seeing a proper release but surely that can't be too far away now? ACE maybe?

How on Earth do these things get out, unofficially, from the vaults as it were?
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 02-02-2016 at 03:45 PM.

What a great song 'Talking about love' is. So many tracks have been released from the vaults that it's easy to overlook gems like this. Martha's voice is amazing on this song. How was it canned?

Yes, this is a great thread. Thanks for starting it. Talking About Love is indeed a very great track, with Martha on tip-top form. It would have been a hit in the UK, I'm sure. But we have to remember that at the end of the 60s Martha was going through some really troubled times, and the focus of Motown was elsewhere. It's a great shame, but there it is. Of course the really frustrating thing for me is the non-release of Live at the Copa, which has an amazing reputation on this forum, one respected poster saying it's the best live album Motown ever produced. Maybe one day we'll get a release. Meanwhile, the 50th Anniversary collection was a fantastic release, done with genuine care and love, and containing revlatory new material like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2JzCHxyZKQ

Every performance by Martha was worthy of a release. She was amazing in the studio. She nailed every performance. As with all the Motown artists they recorded much more than what was needed at the time. That's why we're still getting them all these years later!