[REMOVE ADS]

Your major lance tune

It's always fun to mention our good friend the major,whom i always felt was very underatted although a hitmaker in the sixties,my fav is his great[1964 killer[rhythm]but his last okeh groove was his best to my ears[without a doubt-1967]who loves the major?

Arr&bee - Really terrific that you started this thread. Major Lance has always been one of my favorites. I love so many of his recordngs. Couldn't pick an all-time favorite--whichever one I'm listening to at any given moment always seems like it must be my favorite. Here's a great performance by him [[although the live audio has been replaced by the studio recording):

http://youtu.be/B0KlRpQeyvo

Thanks to JORGE HITS OFFICIAL for this YouTube posting.

I loved Major. His songs were cool and easy to sing as a kid. I loved "Um,Um,Um,Um".

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    It's always fun to mention our good friend the major,whom i always felt was very underatted although a hitmaker in the sixties,my fav is his great[1964 killer[rhythm]but his last okeh groove was his best to my ears[without a doubt-1967]who loves the major?
    Your posting would have gotten a lot more attention if you had included it in the Motown Forum. I for one RARELY read the Clubhouse section, I only noticed this because it appeared on the side bar. Major Lance had the final SOUL label record #35123 so he is a Motown artist as well as an OKEH artist. Too bad his career at Motown was not more successful. One that slipped through the cracks.

The Monkey Time!

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    your posting would have gotten a lot more attention if you had included it in the motown forum. I for one rarely read the clubhouse section, i only noticed this because it appeared on the side bar. Major lance had the final soul label record #35123 so he is a motown artist as well as an okeh artist. Too bad his career at motown was not more successful. One that slipped through the cracks.
    hey woodward i hear ya,but i put it here because the majority of his work was at[okeh], he only had one album at motown[now arriving]which was very cool,but as you stated slipped through the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey woodward i hear ya,but i put it here because the majority of his work was at[okeh], he only had one album at motown[now arriving]which was very cool,but as you stated slipped through the cracks.
    Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I know in my situation, I NEVER look at the Clubhouse as I really do not know what the purpose of it is. I only caught it by surprise because it was at the side of the introductory screen. Too bad you cannot post a thread and have it simultaneously appear on more than one forum. He also had one unissued album on Gordy, Just Messin' Around #980.
    Maybe I am the only member who does not look at all the forums, but it is often too much to absorb.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  21.1 KB
    It's too tough to pick just one of Major's great songs. "The Chicago Sound" produced by Curtis Mayfield, Carl Davis, Johnny Pate, Riley Hampton, Gerald Sims, Cal Carter, Richard Parker, Robert Catron, Billy Davis Sonny Sanders, Eugene Record, etc. is right up with Motown, at the top of my taste. Major sang too many perfectly made recordings to choose just one.

I was hooked from his start as a teenager in 1959, with "Phyllis", and in mid 1962, with "Delilah", and through 1963 and 1964. ""Gonna Get Married", "Rhythm", "Um, Um,Um, Um, Um, Um", The Matador", "Dark and Lonely", and so many more are all superb. All those cuts had him backed either by The Impressions or Billy Butler and The Enchanters.
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-31-2016 at 10:57 PM.

This is why sdf is the best...robb i never heard the song[phyllis]i thought that[delilah]was his first,thanks robb.

Attachment 11048
    Major lived near The Cabrini-Green housing project, on The Near North Side [[Where Jerry and Billy Butler and Curtis Mayfield lived. He hung out with them, as did his best friend, Otis Leavill [[Cobbs). Major was a lot younger than Jerry, and a few years younger than Curtis. He started at 16 as a dancer on Jim Lounsberry's local Chicago dance show. Curtis Mayfield wrote both songs for him, and The Impressions sang background on both cuts [["I've Got A Girl" is the flip). Lounsberry got Mercury Chicago producer, David Carroll, interested in him. Thus, his 1959 Mercury release. I wonder if that was also Lance's buddy, Leavill's ticket to Mercury as well [[He recorded for Mercury's Limelight and Blue Rock subsidiaries).