[REMOVE ADS]

Carolyn Crawford Motown Tracks

These are Carolyn's tracks that I am aware of that were "released" by Motown. Have I missed any?

1. Lover Boy
    2. Think of the Times
    3. Until You Came Along
    4. Too Young, Too Long
    5. Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back)
    6. Forget About Me
    7. Devil In His Heart
    8. When Somebody's Good to You
    9. My Heart
    10. My Smile Is Just A Frown
    11. I'll Come Running

RossHolloway Guest
    Unfortunately, those are all of her know Motown recordings. I wonder if there are any live concert tracks hidden in the vaults. All of her recorded songs are gems, she had/has a very beautiful voice, especially being so young when she recorded those songs.

DFTMC lists 12 songs.

Devil In His Heart
    Forget About Me
    I'll Come Running
    Keep Stepping [[Never Look Back)
    Lover Boy
    My Heart
    My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
    Think Of The Times
    Too Young, Too Long
    Until You Came Along
    Watch Yourself
    When Someone's Good To You

But "Watch Yourself" wasn't released - only an acetate.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  21.1 KB
    Just enough recordings to have had a vinyl LP issued! Same is true of Linda Griner. I don't think Patrice Holloway had quite that many.
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-27-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Patrice Holloway has 15 songs listed on DFTMC plus one with Brenda but she has, at least, had a CD released.....
    Attachment 11028

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Just enough recordings to have had a vinyl LP issued! Same is true of Linda Griner. I don't think Patrice Holloway had quite that many.
    Definitely Carolyn warranted an LP with her talent, her sound. I saw her last perform at the Fox Theater in Detroit in the main lobby during a break in Stevie Wonder's 3 hour extravaganza!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Patrice Holloway has 15 songs listed on DFTMC plus one with Brenda but she has, at least, had a CD released.....
    Attachment 11028
    Her anthology is definitely worth picking up, it has some really nice tracks on it.

Thank you all for your quick responses! That's the best function of SDF in my opinion -helping one another.

Seeing Patrice's CD reminds me whatever happened to Kent Records?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Seeing Patrice's CD reminds me whatever happened to Kent Records?
    They're still at it ... I believe there will be more Motown related CDs coming.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Her anthology is definitely worth picking up, it has some really nice tracks on it.
    Attachment 11033
    I have Patrice's Kent CD. Many of its cuts are Capitol Records productions. There were, however, 16 Motown cuts by her on it [[one more than listed on DFTMC.

RossHolloway Guest
    Attachment 11033
    I have Patrice's Kent CD. Many of its cuts are Capitol Records productions. There were, however, 16 Motown cuts by her on it [[one more than listed on DFTMC.
    Two of my favorite cuts off this collection are Stolen Hour a Capital Records recording - which should have been a big hit for her. And the Smokey Robinson produced cut from '65, Those DJ Shows. Even after reading the liner notes, I never fully understood why her career never materialized at Motown but she recorded for the label from late 1963 thru early 1965. I also remember reading a note that she never recorded any of her material in Detroit, but all her recordings were made in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Two of my favorite cuts off this collection are Stolen Hour a Capital Records recording - which should have been a big hit for her. And the Smokey Robinson produced cut from '65, Those DJ Shows. Even after reading the liner notes, I never fully understood why her career never materialized at Motown but she recorded for the label from late 1963 thru early 1965. I also remember reading a note that she never recorded any of her material in Detroit, but all her recordings were made in LA.
    In an article, Brenda said that Patrice became more interested in the administrative side of the business, and that the job that eventually went to Suzanne dePasse was earmarked for Patrice. But she went on to say that Patrice had some sort of breakdown that she didn't recover from.

My favorite Carolyn Crawford track!!!

From "The Scene" WGPR Detroit - 1978!

My favorite Carolyn track is When Someone's Good To You with backup vocals by the Temptations.

Carolyn as a teenage Motown Recording Artist:

Attachment 11075

This was probably her most popular Motown recording.......

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This was probably her most popular Motown recording.......

Views: 482
    Yes, it WAS. This one reached higher on the charts, and sold most. Nice arrangement and vocal on this version. I'm surprised that this was not released by Motor City Records in the 1990s. Who was behind Centre City Records [[must also be British - I assume).

Views: 482
    Yes, it WAS. This one reached higher on the charts, and sold most. Nice arrangement and vocal on this version. I'm surprised that this was not released by Motor City Records in the 1990s. Who was behind Centre City Records [[must also be British - I assume).
    Robb, I am in that audience with Esther Gordy Edwards for the taping of this performance. Ian Levine sat with us. I believe Centre City Records may have been the label he used for foreign markets. He told me that night that the performances were being taped for distribution outside of the U.S.

Yes the Carolyn video is for the Motorcity version of the song.

Carolyn's Motorcity LP:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  11.4 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  15.3 KB
    Last edited by longtimefan; 02-07-2016 at 12:11 PM.