[REMOVE ADS]

Another family fight, this time ronnie & charlie wilson over the gap band

Charlie Wilson was on TMZ and he explained that the GAP Band were three brothers, one i snow dead and he is solo so how can there be an existing GAP Band. This music biz is tearing families apart.

Damn! They didn't call them the GAP band for nothing!

I'll never understand how family can fight over this kind of crap. You'd think Charlie would be very supportive of his brother trying to keep the name alive.

This is over $20,000? I'm a Gap Band fan and I like Charlie Wilson, but this is not over local club bookings, it's over some jacked up principles. I don't know enough about it, but I'd suggest Charlie should be ashamed. There's no way he'd be harmed by his brother performing under that name.

I agree. Charlie is wrong about this. Let Ronnie perform, goddammit. He STARTED the GAP Band in the first place, gave the group its name [[The GAP Band was originally called the Greenwood, Archer & Pine Band in 1967 by a 17-year-old Ronnie and other members; Charlie was in a rival group and Robert wasn't in the business yet but was starting to learn how to play bass guitar). Charlie didn't join his brother until 1972 or 1973 with Robert following shortly afterwards.

If Charlie wants to honor Robert's memory and that of the history of the GAP Band, let your oldest brother perform as part of the GAP Band!!!

I agree, Midnightman. It's not like Ronnie is recording and stiffing Charlie off royalties from use of the name. I haven't seen Charlie in concert, but I'd be surprised if he isn't using a lot of Gap Band material in his shows. Good Lord, music is a harsh business when best friends and family fight like lifelong rivals over making a living.

I agree wholeheartedly, Jerry. This is giving me Delfonics teas... but clearly these brothers have more anger and bitterness than the Hart brothers can imagine...

It is more than a bit sad to hear that these families that brought a lot of joy to many people fighting over basically money.

Here is an idea: Ask Charlie to join for a couple of reunion gigs, if he declines ask him to release his 1/3 ownership of the name for these two gigs. As long as there is one original member in the group Ronnie can perform under that name.

If he was willing to do that, they'd pull well more than 20 grand. I am still amazed that this is over a couple of relatively small gigs for a relatively small amount of money. Hell, he could let Ronnie tour with him for more than that. This is another family fallout that has let pride work its magic.