[REMOVE ADS]

Wrong artist, wrong song

To expand on the "Supremes Cover" thread, I wonder how many of you thought that a Motown artist recorded the "wrong song".

I've always thought Martha Reeves and the Vandellas would have done a killer version of "I'm Livin' In Shame". I can just hear Martha's take on it; the "grit", or perhaps, the "country" it needed to push it to the top of the charts. The lyrics were pretty much throwaway, but I think Miss Martha could have taken it to a place Diana couldn't.

I can also see Lois [[and Sandy?) just ROCKING OUT in the background.

You've made an interesting point, marybrewster. As song composer of a few of her recordings, Richard Morris had already been taking Martha down a country, or, perhaps, Southern road with hits like "Honey Chile" where he had Martha singing about 'walking a country mile' and "Sweet Darling" where Martha crooned about 'love as strong as a Georgia Pine'. I can easily imagine Martha singing about 'Mama Makin' Home-Made Jam' in "I'm Living In Shame' as well.>

Although I've always loved Diana Ross & The Supremes' version of "I'm Livin' In Shame" [[and I don't consider it a mis-match), Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, too, would have successfully made that song their own if given the opportunity. Ain't no doubt about it!

Although they finally recorded this in the mid 80s, "I'm Ready for Love" could have been released on the Four Tops in the 60s and it would have been a hit!

I've always felt the Supremes should have been given a shot to record "I'm Ready For Love." I love the Vandellas' original and there's nothing wrong with it, but to me it sounds like a Supremes record; like a follow-up to "You Can't Hurry Love." I have to wonder if HDH originally meant it for them. I wouldn't be surprised as Eddie Holland did say at point in the 60's everything they were writing was Supremes intended.

I think Martha and Vandellas would have done a fine job on Shame but I doubt it would have done any better. those "country" songs they released didn't hit the pop top 10, which Shame did with the DRATS. supremes fans might consider it a "flop" since it followed the massive Love Child. but all the other Motown groups would have loved another top 10 hit.

I do like this "what if" thread. I think there are quite a few:

Supremes release of This Old Heart Of Mine
    Flo lead on Johnny One Note on the R&H set

Also, I would have Flo leading "These Boots Are Made For Walking" and "House Of The Rising Sun"

The unreleased Temptations "Truly Yours" is killer and should have been an album cut, IMO.

When you think of the classic[what love has joined,do you think of the mary wells original version or the temps classic cover? Most would think of the temps version although a[b-side]would've been a hit as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    When you think of the classic[what love has joined,do you think of the mary wells original version or the temps classic cover? Most would think of the temps version although a[b-side]would've been a hit as a single.
    I think of the Temps version. I cannot recall any Mary Wells songs being played by my mother [[who had a large part of what I was exposed to musically while growing up), but the Temps were definitely a staple.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Although they finally recorded this in the mid 80s, "I'm Ready for Love" could have been released on the Four Tops in the 60s and it would have been a hit!

I agree wholeheartedly with you marv2 on the Four Tops rendition of "I'm Ready For Love". I especially am moved by the second verse when Levi starts to move from his mellow lower register to his higher, pleading voice.

I also believe the Four Tops did a "release worthy" version of Diana Ross' "Remember Me."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJYoI40QBhk

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I've always felt the Supremes should have been given a shot to record "I'm Ready For Love." I love the Vandellas' original and there's nothing wrong with it, but to me it sounds like a Supremes record; like a follow-up to "You Can't Hurry Love." I have to wonder if HDH originally meant it for them. I wouldn't be surprised as Eddie Holland did say at point in the 60's everything they were writing was Supremes intended.
    Great minds think alike! I totally agree with you. It sounded more like a Supremes song than many of the famous Supremes songs!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with you marv2 on the Four Tops rendition of "I'm Ready For Love". I especially am moved by the second verse when Levi starts to move from his mellow lower register to his higher, pleading voice.

I also believe the Four Tops did a "release worthy" version of Diana Ross' "Remember Me."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJYoI40QBhk
    The Four Tops had that magic [[no pun intended with the above album) that few groups had. They could take a well known song , cover it and make it sound even better without changing the song's structure, melody, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Also, I would have Flo leading "These Boots Are Made For Walking" and "House Of The Rising Sun"
    "House Of The Rising Sun", she would have knocked that one way out of the park.

I, too, am in the I'M READY FOR LOVE camp as a Supremes song. But I've always thought it interesting that in that same year--1966--Martha & the Vandellas weren't given LOVE IS LIKE AN ITCHING IN MY HEART, one of my favorite Motown recordings. The Supremes are sensational on it, and I don't think it could have been better by anyone but them. But when it was released, it struck me as a tune I would have expected to have gone to The Vandellas. Of course I'm glad it didn't--but I was somewhat surprised it hadn't.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 01-23-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Personally, I'm surprised HDH never cut "Heaven Must of Sent You" on the Isley Bros. Also, I feel that I'm in Love Again, should of been a Four tops song. the chorus had Levi written all over it.

What about the Marvelettes on Nothing But Heartaches?

How about the FOUR TOPS doing "Come 'Round Here, I'm The One You Need" .. Smokey always sounds like he's singing in an uncomfortable key on his version and I'm sure that Levi would have done a great job ...

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    How about the FOUR TOPS doing "Come 'Round Here, I'm The One You Need" .. Smokey always sounds like he's singing in an uncomfortable key on his version and I'm sure that Levi would have done a great job ...

Roger
    That's another track I could totally hear the Supremes singing.