[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - Minneapolis; February 5 & 6

Just a heads up; Martha Reeves and her "sister" Vandellas will be in Minneapolis at the Dakota on February 5th and 6th.

http://www.dakotacooks.com/calendar/2016-02/

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Just a heads up; Martha Reeves and her "sister" Vandellas will be in Minneapolis at the Dakota on February 5th and 6th.

http://www.dakotacooks.com/calendar/2016-02/
    If you missed Minneapolis, you missed Martha!

I thought of you, Roberta. Here are a few pics:

Name:  12654254_10208483337299396_2169955912532035789_n.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  1915465_10208483337219394_8853654840016133814_n.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  12650915_10208472527469157_7354967328187195704_n.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  93.7 KB

Saw her last night. 9pm show. Different playlist. Started with Your Loves keeps Lifting me higher, a love like yours don't come knocking [[lots of audience participation); come and get these memories; Something [[Beatles..great 3 part harmonies); a great jazzy-blues number I didn't know, Watch your back, lots of ad Luba by her guitarist. 3 or 4 encores...I can't help myself and Signed Sealed Delivered. She sang all the hits. She was having a fun time and the audience was right there with her. 4 local horn players added to her rhythm section. 1 great baritone sax?...the craggy sax sound. Wonderful evening.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    If you missed Minneapolis, you missed Martha!

I thought of you, Roberta. Here are a few pics:

Name:  12654254_10208483337299396_2169955912532035789_n.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  1915465_10208483337219394_8853654840016133814_n.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  12650915_10208472527469157_7354967328187195704_n.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  93.7 KB
    Thank you my dear Marybreswter. Ive been home sick all weekend with a real bad tummy bug so your thoughtful photos and message touched me and made me feel a bit better.

thank you dear.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Elegant ladies! Hope you're feeling better Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    sharpmoves; were you there as well? That's a great pic.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Saw her last night. 9pm show. Different playlist. Started with Your Loves keeps Lifting me higher, a love like yours don't come knocking [[lots of audience participation); come and get these memories; Something [[Beatles..great 3 part harmonies); a great jazzy-blues number I didn't know, Watch your back, lots of ad Luba by her guitarist. 3 or 4 encores...I can't help myself and Signed Sealed Delivered. She sang all the hits. She was having a fun time and the audience was right there with her. 4 local horn players added to her rhythm section. 1 great baritone sax?...the craggy sax sound. Wonderful evening.
    dlorne; I'm sorry to have missed you! I'm sure you enjoyed the show. Perhaps next time we can coordinate better and see it together, as we did a few years ago. Did you stick around afterwards to meet Martha? She did her "meet and greet" after the 9pm show on Friday; I'd assume she did the same on Saturday.

Martha is an absolute treasure. So full of energy; it's hard to believe she's in her 70's. She's an amazing ambassador for Motown; she shared so many wonderful stories. When I approached her, she seemed to recall my face. This was the 3rd time I've seen her in the past few years, but with the hundreds or thousands of "fans" she meets each year, it's truly a treat if she remembered me. As she signed my CD [[the Definitive Collection), she signed EVERY single picture that she was in. She turned to the page where she and the Vandellas were peeking out through the curtain, and told stories of the Apollo. Then she turned to the back [[the "live" shot), and told stories or the 20 Grand. I also brought a CD insert that Lois was featured on, and she asked Lois to sign for me as well. Naturally I had to have pictures with all of the Vandellas. What was most fantastic though was Delphine. She is just the sweetest thing, ever. So funny and warm; when you talk with her, it's like you've known her for years.

Boy, would I love to have been there, but alas no, I wasn't. The picture is on Martha's Facebook page. It looks the perfect venue for her performing style - intimate and personal. All three look fabulous, and I am hoping there might be some footage on YouTube sometime soon. The playlists look great, and I'm delighted to see Show Me The Way there - such an underrated gem that one is!

Boy, would I love to have been there, but alas no, I wasn't. The picture is on Martha's Facebook page. It looks the perfect venue for her performing style - intimate and personal. All three look fabulous, and I am hoping there might be some footage on YouTube sometime soon. The playlists look great, and I'm delighted to see Show Me The Way there - such an underrated gem that one is!
    It really is a wonderful venue; I think a capacity of 200-250? It's all table seating, and there truly isn't a bad spot in the house. I was told that Martha did a different set for each of the four shows she did. I don't know if you can see on the set list I posted, but she and the Vandellas did an fantastic cover of Marvin's "What's Goin' On'". She also ended with "Dancing" which lead to a New Orleans-style jam fest, complete with "When the Saints Go Marching In". For an encore, they did a short Motown Medley, featuring Stevie and Four Tops songs.

Hey Marybrewster...yes next time. Martha said she'd like to come back every year. Too much of a line to see Martha. Did see Lois outside waiting for her ride, dressed in her furs and looking very glamorous. She was very sweet when we thanked her for her performance and our hope to see them next year.

Yes, Martha mentioned that as well. She did sell out as far as I know for all four shows, so clearly she is a draw. Funny that it was three years ago that she was last here; pretty much the same time of season, if I recall.

I've been hoping that the Dakota would book Mary again. It's been several years since she was there with her "Up Close" show. I'd also love to see Scherrie and Susaye "Partners", or even The Flos. It's just a great venue for that type of act.

Im much better dear Sharpmoves. I had a very bad stomache flu that left me completely dehydrated and I ended up in hospital yesterday on a IV drip. Thanks first and foremost to the good Lord above for healing me and to the real lovely staff at Kaiser in Panorama City for putting making me well and sending me home hydrated and feeling much better. All these photos of Martha have also healed me.

Thank you again dear and god bless you.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Im much better dear Sharpmoves. I had a very bad stomache flu that left me completely dehydrated and I ended up in hospital yesterday on a IV drip. Thanks first and foremost to the good Lord above for healing me and to the real lovely staff at Kaiser in Panorama City for putting making me well and sending me home hydrated and feeling much better. All these photos of Martha have also healed me.

Thank you again dear and god bless you.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Sorry you have been unwell Roberta. I hope you are fit and well again soon. Best wishes from me to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Sorry you have been unwell Roberta. I hope you are fit and well again soon. Best wishes from me to you.
    Im doing much better dear and thank you for your good wishes.

Fondly,

Roberta