[REMOVE ADS]

The Queen's Christmas Message 2015

Say what you want. Feel however you feel, but this is something we've watched most of my life at my house on Christmas. Elizabeth's Christmas Message is is the kick off point for Christmas Day festivities. If you listen, she has a great message every year for the World to contemplate and I appreciate her for it!

Thank you for posting this, Marv.

I'm pleased, but also have to admit I'm rather surprised that you did. I would have assumed that, outside of the UK and the Commonwealth, there would be little interest.

Does the President of the United States deliver a similar message to his people?

Because of the time difference, the Queen's Christmas message has traditionally been first broadcast to the nation in the middle of the afternoon, here in the UK.

In previous times, everything revolved around the broadcast, and we'd have to be sure to finish our Christmas lunch in time to view it. Everything stopped! It sounds bizarre now but, in the early days of TV, people would stand up in respect when the National Anthem was played, exactly as they would have done when in the presence of the Queen or other senior members of the Royal Family.

HM The Queen is no actress on the screen, or someone who has a political affiliation. She has never been in fashion, or out of it. It's easy just to focus on the wealth of the Royal family, but they do have an extraordinary existence, and the Queen has a keen eye for duty, and for detail.

The Queen has simply been a constant presence for decades. Millions of people like myself have known no other Monarch.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 12-30-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

I'm pleased, but also have to admit I'm rather surprised that you did. I would have assumed that, outside of the UK and the Commonwealth, there would be little interest.

Does the President of the United States deliver a similar message to his people?

Because of the time difference, the Queen's Christmas message has traditionally been first broadcast to the nation in the middle of the afternoon, here in the UK.

In previous times, everything revolved around the broadcast, and we'd have to be sure to finish our Christmas lunch in time to view it. Everything stopped! It sounds bizarre now but, in the early days of TV, people would stand up in respect when the National Anthem was played, exactly as they would have done when in the presence of the Queen or other senior members of the Royal Family.

HM The Queen is no actress on the screen, or someone who has a political affiliation. She has never been in fashion, or out of it. It's easy just to focus on the wealth of the Royal family, but they do have an extraordinary existence, and the Queen has a keen eye for duty, and for detail.

The Queen has never been in fashion, or out of it, but simply a constant presence. Millions of people like myself have known no other Monarch.

You are welcome Westgrandboulevard. No, it would be like me growing up in Detroit and being surprised that anyone outside of Detroit appreciated Motown and it's artists. Growing up within miles of the Canadian border, we received Canadian broadcast television in our homes all of my life. When I am home for the holidays, I watch the CBC, CTV, Global etc. The CBC has broadcasts the Queen's Christmas Message every year just before noon on Christmas Day. That's how I know it's Christmas some years LOL!!!

The Queen has simply been a constant presence for decades. Millions of people like myself have known no other Monarch.
    He does, but I think they keep it so low key that many miss it. The same thing with the Canadian Premier's Christmas message except this year Justin Trudeau's was widely seen in Canada.

The Queen's Message is seen here every year at approximately 11:45 am Christmas morning. Then afterward they show some type of holiday programming such as a movie, parade, cartoon etc,.

No she is not an actress, which to me makes her message so appealing. She actually does remind me of my grandmothers.....more of my Grandma on my Dad's side. She may be the wealthiest woman on Earth, but she never comes off that way. She seems very sincere in her hopes and prayers for the less fortunate and the rest of the World.

Now her husband? He is EXTREMELY REAL ! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 12-30-2015 at 11:10 PM.

You might have heard of 'The Queen's English'. For many decades, until the mid '60s, many in the UK would copy the clipped vocal tones of the Royal Family, as would the broadcasters on BBC Television.

The Queen has modified her speaking voice over recent times, but retains quite a distinctive voice, even if still rather quaint.

I believe she may not now be the wealthiest woman on Earth..but she does regard herself as simply a custodian of the position into which she was born, and a duty which she must uphold for all of her days.

Prince Philip? Oh yes, his duty has been to walk behind the Queen, but he has always been his own man, and will take 'no stuff' from anyone! He just deals with it with his customary, robust humour.

Anne, the Princess Royal, is very much her father's daughter! LOL

Marv when I looked at the post I was thinking Queen Ree had something to say! Lol

You might have heard of 'The Queen's English'. For many decades, until the mid '60s, many in the UK would copy the clipped vocal tones of the Royal Family, as would the broadcasters on BBC Television.

The Queen has modified her speaking voice over recent times, but retains quite a distinctive voice, even if still rather quaint.

I believe she may not now be the wealthiest woman on Earth..but she does regard herself as simply a custodian of the position into which she was born, and a duty which she must uphold for all of her days.

Prince Philip? Oh yes, his duty has been to walk behind the Queen, but he has always been his own man, and will take 'no stuff' from anyone! He just deals with it with his customary, robust humour.

Anne, the Princess Royal, is very much her father's daughter! LOL
    Anne does impress me as a no bullshit type of gal! LOL! All of them are interesting and funny in their own ways.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  21.1 KB
    Growing up, I didn't like being the "subject" of royalty, neither in Canada, nor in The Netherlands [[the first modern republic - which changed to a monarchy). I DO remember King George before Queen Elizabeth, and the changing of God Save The King" to "God Save The Quen". I don't like ANY form of government other than village councils [[we have MANY, MANY times more people in this World than can be supported, and than is optimal). I think ALL monarchies should be ended. Yes, I have heard The Queen's Christmas message many times.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 162
    Growing up, I didn't like being the "subject" of royalty, neither in Canada, nor in The Netherlands [[the first modern republic - which changed to a monarchy). I DO remember King George before Queen Elizabeth, and the changing of God Save The King" to "God Save The Quen". I don't like ANY form of government other than village councils [[we have MANY, MANY times more people in this World than can be supported, and than is optimal). I think ALL monarchies should be ended. Yes, I have heard The Queen's Christmas message many times.
    Robb, would you feel the same way if they were fully self funding?

Interesting question, Marv.

The British Royal Family is, to a large extent, self-funding. In 2013-2014, the additional cost to the tax payer was £35.7 million. That represents a cost of 56 pence for each person, including children.

It is not always simply the cost of something which needs to be considered, but also the perceived value.

I'm not a staunch Royalist, nor do I look to them in adulation and awe, [[I prefer to make my own decisions, and the free-thinker in me can quite understand Robb_k's viewpoint) but I can recognise that tradition and heritage will often create and support harmony and balance, and that 'The Royals' just have their lives to lead, as I have mine.

The Royal Family is wealthy, of course, but I wouldn't want their responsibilities, or to dedicate my life to the people of this entire country, and to uphold its interests, both here and abroad.

If you've not already done so, you might find the following link of interest.

www.royal.gov.uk

Interesting question, Marv.

The British Royal Family is, to a large extent, self-funding. In 2013-2014, the additional cost to the tax payer was £35.7 million. That represents a cost of 56 pence for each person, including children.

It is not always simply the cost of something which needs to be considered, but also the perceived value.

I'm not a staunch Royalist, nor do I look to them in adulation and awe, [[I prefer to make my own decisions, and the free-thinker in me can quite understand Robb_k's viewpoint) but I can recognise that tradition and heritage will often create and support harmony and balance, and that 'The Royals' just have their lives to lead, as I have mine.

The Royal Family is wealthy, of course, but I wouldn't want their responsibilities, or to dedicate my life to the people of this entire country, and to uphold its interests, both here and abroad.

If you've not already done so, you might find the following link of interest.

www.royal.gov.uk
    They just never struck me as a group of people I would dislike. I can't believe I'm saying this but in a lot of ways they are like normal people except for their stations in life and the fact that just about everything they do gets publicized.

That's just about how it is, Marv.

Ordinary people, placed in extraordinary circumstances.

Quotes made by members of the Royal Family :

"I learned the way a monkey learns. By watching its parents... " [[Charles, Prince of Wales)

"The man who invented the red carpet needed his head examined" [[Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh)

"I have to be seen to be believed" [[HM The Queen)

"When I appear in public, people expect me to neigh, grind my teeth, paw the ground, and swish my tail. None of which is easy..." [[horse-lover Anne, The Princess Royal)

"If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she's not interested" [[Prince Philip, speaking about his horse-loving daughter, Anne)

"I would like to go to Russia very much, although the bastards murdered half my family" [[Prince Philip, when asked in 1966 if he would like to visit the Soviet Union)

"Father told me that if I ever met a lady in a dress like yours, I must look her straight in the eyes" [[Prince Charles)

"As I learned from growing up, you don't mess with your grandmother" [[Prince William)

"Like all the best families, we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters, and of family disagreements" [[HM The Queen)

"They are very funny together. My family is the same as any other family, when it comes to humour behind closed doors" [[Prince Harry)

"I never see any home cooking. All I get is fancy stuff" [[Prince Philip)

"Get me a beer. I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer!" [[Prince Philip, when asked what he would like with dinner).

"My husband has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years, and I owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim" [[HM The Queen, speaking of Prince Philip)

"I cannot lead you into battle. I do not give you laws, or administer justice, but I can do something else - I can give my heart and my devotion to these old islands, and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations" [[HM The Queen)

"We lost the American colonies because we lacked the statesmanship to know the right time and the manner of yielding what is impossible to keep" [[HM The Queen)

Yeah, very nice comments and thank you Westgrand for sharing. But where are the ones with profanity that Prince Phillip has been known to use? LOL!!!!

Well, you could call +4420 7930 4832, and ask to speak to him about that, yourself.

Let us all know what he said.

Well, you could call +4420 7930 4832, and ask to speak to him about that, yourself.

Let us all know what he said.

I am not in the mood to get cursed out today, but thanks! LOL!!!

Wow,marv see why west is da man,heck he's got the palace on speed dial,hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wow,marv see why west is da man,heck he's got the palace on speed dial,hehe.
    I know right? I'm scared of him........LOL

hehehehehehehehehehe!!!!

Now, if that had happened in the US, Prince Philip would have instantly been signed up to a very lucrative advertising deal....

Now, if that had happened in the US, Prince Philip would have instantly been signed up to a very lucrative advertising deal....
    He would have been on Late Night With David Letterman and countless other programs LOL!

Coolest guy in england.

In the US, did you ever see 'Spitting Image' [[1984-1996), the UK satirical puppet series....?

None of the Royal Family escaped being lampooned, including HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother....which, prior to that, had been an absolute no-no.

Among many memorable depictions was HM The Queen singing 'I Will Survive' - "at first One was afraid, One was petrified...."

Marv, I was amazed, touched and quite moved that you always watch Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 's Christmas Day broadcast. That's such a wonderful tradition. Forget all the arguments about monarchies etc and focus on the person, she has been an exemplar, a rock, and completely without prejudice and rancour. She is the epitome of humanity to all. Including those who would want to see her role abolished.

In the US, did you ever see 'Spitting Image' [[1984-1996), the UK satirical puppet series....?

None of the Royal Family escaped being lampooned, including HM Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother....which, prior to that, had been an absolute no-no.

Among many memorable depictions was HM The Queen singing 'I Will Survive' - "at first One was afraid, One was petrified...."
    Yes I did see that show a few times and loved it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Marv, I was amazed, touched and quite moved that you always watch Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 's Christmas Day broadcast. That's such a wonderful tradition. Forget all the arguments about monarchies etc and focus on the person, she has been an exemplar, a rock, and completely without prejudice and rancour. She is the epitome of humanity to all. Including those who would want to see her role abolished.
    Mike we've watched for as long as I can remember. I may have missed it a few times in the early 80's because I was going to school out West. But it is like the benediction on Christmas Day before we start everything. I would never want to see her role go away.

As soon as west gets me an audience with[hm]i'm gonna do an exclusive interview and get the rights to her life story on film...west it's gonna be big,so get busy.

When Ms Moe [[Superstar) finally concludes her rapturously received 'A Star Is Reborn' world tour, she will then be taking tea with HM The Queen.

I just might be able to get you into Buckingham Palace on a joint pass.....but in that rarefied company, you should be prepared to bow constantly, check out the food for poison, learn how to open doors with great elegance, and even learn how to correctly hold a train [[probably an Amtrak).

HM herself will be no problem. She's so modest....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 01-01-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb, would you feel the same way if they were fully self funding?
Views: 120
    I'd feel a little better. But, I'd still rather see all monarchies abolished. They came from thousands of years of caste systems, and certain people being treated better than others, just because of who their ancestors were. Many of my family were determined "not worthy to live" just because of who their ancestors were. The same still exists today for lots of people around The World. I want to get rid of all the thinking related to that. I want all jobs given out based upon merit, and not birth.

And, no, I would not like to have had, myself, been born into such a position.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 120
    I'd feel a little better. But, I'd still rather see all monarchies abolished. They came from thousands of years of caste systems, and certain people being treated better than others, just because of who their ancestors were. Many of my family were determined "not worthy to live" just because of who their ancestors were. The same still exists today for lots of people around The World. I want to get rid of all the thinking related to that. I want all jobs given out based upon merit, and not birth.

And, no, I would not like to have had, myself, been born into such a position.

I understand and thank you for your honest and direct response.

when ms moe [[superstar) finally concludes her rapturously received 'a star is reborn' world tour, she will then be taking tea with hm the queen.

I just might be able to get you into buckingham palace on a joint pass.....but in that rarefied company, you should be prepared to bow constantly, check out the food for poison, learn how to open doors with great elegance, and even learn how to correctly hold a train [[probably an amtrak).

Hm herself will be no problem. She's so modest....
    wow west i didn't know that[hm]was a homegirl...heck all we do in da hood is[pass the joint]and as for poison foods,you forgot that greasy grady cooks outta da hood...as for opening doors heck my crim-opps-err-ahem-hehe..my corporate cohorts are experts on opening doors,and they've held up afew trains too so heck i'm in like flint,oh and i'll be dressed for the occasion-i just picked up one of them sharp[three peice genuine imitation skunkskin polyester suits-man them suits are sharp]i'll bet that[hm]has never seen the likes of me we're gonna get along just fine...oh and tell ms moe[superstar]that i'm working on a new polariod classic just for her.