[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marvin Gaye Unreleased 1965

I saw over on the "Motown Unreleased 1965" thread that Marvin Gaye has his own 25-track digital-only collection that was expected to be released on December 18, 2015 [[today), but I haven't been able to find it on any of the "typical" digital download sites [[7digital.com, iTunes store, Amazon.com, etc.). Did something push the release back? Even on DFTMC, the recording details for the songs are headed by the description, "Released December 18th 2015."

Looking forward to hearing these tracks, so any intel about the status of the release would be appreciated!

UMC Digital Release "Marvin Gaye Unreleased 1965"
    Released December 18th 2015

1 As Long As She Needs Me
    [[Lionel Bart)
    Note: from musical and film "Oliver"
    Produced by George Gordy, Johnny Allen
    Band track recorded at the Graystone Ballroom, Detroit on August 6, 1963, lead vocal added February 7, 1965

2 I've Got It Bad [[And That Ain't Good)
    [[Duke Ellington-Paul Webster)
    Produced by George Gordy, Johnny Allen
    Band track recorded at the Graystone Ballroom, Detroit on August 6, 1963, lead vocal added February 7, 1965

3 Baby Baby Come Home
    [[Clarence Paul-Morris Ervin)
    Produced by Clarence Paul
    Band track recorded September 17, 1964 and assigned to the Four Tops, Marvin’s lead vocal added January 18, 1965

4 All My Life
    [[William Stevenson-Clarence Paul-Marvin Gaye)
    Produced by William Stevenson, Clarence Paul
    Band track recorded January 27, 1965 and assigned to Ivy Jo, Marvin’s lead vocal added March 8, 1965

5 Say When [version 1]
    [[John Bristol)
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua
    Band track recorded May 13, 1965, lead vocal added May 16, voices added May 27, 1965
    Version 2 recorded 1966, and released on Motown CD 31452-0319 Love Starved Heart: Rare And Unreleased, June 21, 1994

6 The More I See You
    [[Mack Gordon-Harry Warren)
    Note: from film "Diamond Horseshoe"
    Produced by William Stevenson
    Recorded in New York August 10, 1965

7 I Wish You Love
    [[Charles Trenet-Leo Chauliac-Albert Beach)

8 The End Of A Love Affair
    [[Edward C. Redding)

9 Violets For Your Furs
    [[Tom Adair-Matt Dennis)

10 So In Love
    [[Cole Porter)
    Note: from musical and film "Kiss Me Kate"

11 If I Had To Go On Without You
    [[Morris Broadnax-Carnell Draw)

12 You're All That Matters To Me
    [[Carnell Draw-Morris Broadnax)

13 Good-Bye
    [[Gordon Jenkins)

14 Fanny
    [[Harold Rome)
    Note: from musical “Fanny”
    Produced by Marc Gordon, Hal Davis
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added July 14, 1965

15 Dear Heart
    [[Jay Livingston-Ray Evans-Henry Mancini)
    Note: from film “Dear Heart”
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 3 and July 14, 1965

16 Fly Me To The Moon [[In Other Words)
    [[Bart Howard)
    Produced by Hal Davis, Marc Gordon
    Recorded in California [[probably) January 1965

17 What's New
    [[Johnny Burke-Bob Haggart)
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 5, 1965

18 All The Way
    [[Sammy Cahn-Jimmy Van Heusen)
    Note: from film “The Joker Is Wild”
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 1 and 5, 1965

19 More [[Theme From “Mondo Cane”)
    [[Norman Newell-Riz Ortolani-Nino Oliviero)
    Note: from film "Mondo Cane"

20 Maria
    [[Stephen Sondheim-Leonard Bernstein)
    Note: from musical and film "West Side Story"

21 Where Are You
    [[Harold Adamson-Jimmy McHugh)
    Note: from musical "Top Of The Town"
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added July 14, 1965

22 Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars [[Corcovado)
    [[Gene Lees-Antonio Jobim)
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 3, 1965

23 Emily
    [[Johnny Mercer-Johnny Mandel)
    Note: from film "The Americanization of Emily"
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 1 and July 21, 1965

24 I've Got Your Number
    [[Carolyn Leigh-Cy Coleman)
    Note: from musical "Little Me"
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Band track recorded in New York November 4, 1965, lead vocal and instrumental dub-in November 11, 1965

25 On A Wonderful Day Like Today
    [[Leslie Bricusse-Anthony Newley)
    Note: from musical "The Roar Of The Greasepaint - The Smell Of The Crowd"
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Band track recorded in New York November 4, 1965, lead vocal added November 4, instrumental dub-in November 11, 1965

Produced by Harry Weinger, with assistance from Andy Flory and Keith Hughes
    Tracks 6, 11, 12, 14-21 and 23-25 mixed by John Morales, all other tracks original Motown mixes
    All tracks mastered by Seth Foster

All tracks recorded at Hitsville USA Studio, Detroit, except as otherwise noted

All tracks previously unreleased

Annotations by Keith Hughes, www.dftmc.info, with many thanks to Andy Flory

Sources :
    The Hitsville Session Logbooks
    The Motown Library Tape Filing Card Index
    The Motown Label Copy Files
    The Jobete Music Catalog

Anyone here live in South Korea?

http://www.mnet.com/album/517602

Wow John.....

Why would they get it first.

It's not for me to say, John ...

Bizarre. However a good chance to listen to the clips. It's certainly the ballader Marvin with those standards he loved at the time, with lovely lush orchestral backing. I wonder who did the arrangements. Bobby Scott? Let's hope the set becomes available over the next few days - if we have to wait for another 'new music Friday', with Christmas and New Year Fridays on the way I hope it's not going to be January 8th!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    It's not for me to say, John ...
    The penny has dropped John...

I therefore assume you have already purchased your MP3 version. How much did it cost

I can't figure out how to download. I can only listen to sound clips. They sound amazing!

My understanding is that it's only 60 cents per song ... roughly the same in Euro - and about ½ of what you'd be charged on iTunes. I'm not sure what downloading the entire album would cost.

Would google translate help?

Was hoping to have this collection this weekend.....Anyone find out what happened?

South Korea is the only country to enjoy this? Any update on this release? Anyone...?

I'd like this collection, but I'm not flying to South Korea to get it. LOL!

Interesting... I hope we can get this collection on at least Spotify, especially for those of us who don't have iTunes. If it was available on Amazon, I could get a gift card and purchase it through there... Marvin was real serious about his pop balladeer dreams.

I seriously hope this will be released in some hard copy form, CD or vinyl here in the states. I mean , come on , Harry and the crew would not do us like that. Unless there was some legal reason or some exec that didn't think it was cost effective to issue it here in print ,or if they had no say-so in the release ,then we will get it eventually. Even if John posts some mixes on his web site , we will get something.
    This is some serious stuff for Marvin fans and it shows that he really wanted to be a standards singer and was good at it but he had to conform to get ahead and as such used the basic formula used in the classic standards to make standards of his own. This collection shows in hind site that Marvin was a special talent from the jump.

Without wishing to start banging on about Cd's vs downloads again - the thing that strikes me as really odd about this release is just how low key it is.

Once over, not so long ago, a treasure trove of tracks on Marvin Gaye would have been issued to huge fanfair. [[Remember 'Vulnerable' in 1997?)

Now, not only is this set deemed unworthy of a CD release, but the lack of promotion means many people won't even know it exists.

It just amazes me how things have changed.

So.. what is the deal with this release? Will it be available in the US? On Amazon? ITunes? Any idea when?

Andy said it WAS up on i-tunes Monday , he told me he would check with operations and see what happened. I sure couldn't find it, hopefully he will get back to me.

It's not up on Amazon UK yet.

If all the tracks are MOR, I can live without it.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It's not up on Amazon UK yet.

If all the tracks are MOR, I can live without it.
    Not all of them... Say When, Baby Baby Come Home and All My Life. Listen to the clips
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 12-23-2015 at 07:35 AM.

If Universal can arrange for The Beatles to be on streaming services from Christmas Eve, maybe they [[or Santa!) can deliver Marvin on Friday [[Christmas Day) after all!

Maybe this is some kind of a loophole - release it on some obscure South Korean website, thus circumventing the copyright expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Maybe this is some kind of a loophole - release it on some obscure South Korean website, thus circumventing the copyright expiration.
    Yes, M01, perhaps that is why we've not seen it on the expected digital download sites. Now, if only we received official confirmation that that was the reason and then maybe a scheduled worldwide release date.

Quote Originally Posted by 762rob View Post
    Beware: My antivirus protection flagged and blocked this link as a "dangerous website."

Trying to access our beloved Motown music on a dodgy website in Korea.

This is about as low as it gets.

Those suits at Universal need a good kick up the jacksy.
    Last edited by lakedistrictlad1; 12-24-2015 at 06:22 AM.

The official new release day each week is now Fridays, so as much as we might hope that it appears 'day by day' I suspect that we'll have to wait for a Friday. As I mentioned earlier, that means next chance is Christmas Day or New Year's Day if normal service is operating on those days. Both Keith and Andy have made positive comments, so fingers crossed we don't have to wait too long but I reckon it'll eventually arrive.

Andy tells me that it may not be till next week as they are closed for Christmas vacation.

I did not get any warnings on my Mac, I doubt if it would download anyway, even if I could read Korean.
    At least we see that there is generic unreleased artwork and a partial list, this was a screenshot, couldn't capture the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    The official new release day each week is now Fridays, so as much as we might hope that it appears 'day by day' I suspect that we'll have to wait for a Friday. As I mentioned earlier, that means next chance is Christmas Day or New Year's Day if normal service is operating on those days. Both Keith and Andy have made positive comments, so fingers crossed we don't have to wait too long but I reckon it'll eventually arrive.
    If the "Keith" is me, I'm not sure what "positive comments" I'm supposed to have made. I've kept silent so far on this thread as I've said all I've been told. I was given a track list and told the set would be released on Dec 18th, I published that and sure enough, it was released on the date I was told with those tracks. I don't know any more - honest ...

Happy Christmas everyone everywhere!

Keith

Hi Keith - I meant positive in the sense that more would be on the way as well as the various artiste set. As you can see, because the Marvin release hasn't appeared outside of Korea [[it seems), some have felt it might not be fully available. I was trying to be reassuring.

Happy Christmas greetings to you.

So - last day of the year. Is there any news on where we can purchase this?

Yes, I sure would like to DL it

Surely there should have been some concrete news on the delay by now

This seems be be a "Lost and Found" that has been lost again... Not good. You can support motown by buying Marvin vinyl box sets and such like, but it seems you are not rewarded with the real treasures.

Somebody must surely know if this is gonna get a world wide release?

To get no feedback [[positive or negative) is quite poor.

Wayne

Well here it is on youtube... too bad the videos won't play!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BedFM9pEYaedyk

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Beware: My antivirus protection flagged and blocked this link as a "dangerous website."
    Norton did not find any problems with the site, so I listened to the snippets yesterday without any apparent problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Norton did not find any problems with the site, so I listened to the snippets yesterday without any apparent problems.
    Interesting. My Norton instantaneously freaked out.

I assume that all the "powers that be" at Universal/Motown are now back from their Christmas/New Year breaks, so has anyone heard any further information that would explain the absence of this "download release" from all sites, bar one in South Korea. Can we expect it to be made available elsewhere any time soon?

I do think some response is in order.

Don't hold your breath! I don't know what the problem is with Universal but they are making buying music as difficult as possible.

whatever happened regarding this - did it ever see the light of day in the UK [[or USA for that matter)? I wouldn't mind at least hearing the three non-MOR tracks, but nothing seems to be available on spotify or i-tunes. Perhaps its 'limited release' was just meant to redefine Seoul music [sorry...]

Initially I had positive anticipation that it would appear. More recently I've had less hope and wondered whether the Korean site was a pirate because the collection hadn't appeared elsewhere. But, bearing in mind it's listed on the Don't Forget The Motor City site, it must be official. The frustration is why it's not appeared and why there's been no announcement from Universal.

Perhaps South Korea's Pledge Music division will be selling it for 30 bucks at some point...then, unannounced and unpromoted Amazon Italy may stock it for half the price.

Who knows with Universal eh?

Evidently, it's now available in the United Arab Emirates:

https://itunes.apple.com/ae/album/mo...5/id1065739920

Slowly it's making its' way around the globe. Maybe it'll be available in the US by 2019?

Hi everybody,

I read this forum for many years now.
    I take few minutes in order to post my first post.
    As many of you, I was looking for this digital-only collection everywhere.
    I finally got it.
    I live in France and I managed to buy it in mp3 [[320kbits/s) on this german web site : https://www.musicload.de/web/album?id=14276423
    You can pay with paypal, so the country will not stop you.
    Enjoy !

Great! Just downloaded from this site. £16.50 on Paypal.

Thanks for the info foulecamp.

So if you are in the U.S. you can actually download songs from that site using paypal and it works?

Hi Aaron... I really appreciate that Foulecamp shared the news about this, but...unfortunately...it doesn't work for residents of the US. I signed up for the Musicload website, went to pay using Pay Pal, and it automatically canceled the order on me. It's a shame that these tracks aren't available worldwide after all these months. Hopefully someday soon!

I'm really sorry to read that. Country Rules for digital music are very hard to understand.
    For motown unreleased 1962 and 1963, in their time, I've had to ask to a friend of mine in Luxembourg to buy them, because I could'nt find them in France. More often, some digital albums are only available in the US. I admit it's the first time I see a digital album only available in south korea and emirats... But, now it's available in Germany. I guess it means it's available in all europe. USA should be next.
    I remember [[but perhaps I'm wrong) that european rules about musical edition, intellect property say that 50 years without commercial use making to fall it in public domain ; and 70 years for the USA [[or at least a different length). That's why sometimes you find an album here but not there...

I can understand these reasons but I think it's totaly stupid a the time of the World Wide Web...

Quote Originally Posted by foulecamp View Post
    I'm really sorry to read that. Country Rules for digital music are very hard to understand.
    For motown unreleased 1962 and 1963, in their time, I've had to ask to a friend of mine in Luxembourg to buy them, because I could'nt find them in France. More often, some digital albums are only available in the US. I admit it's the first time I see a digital album only available in south korea and emirats... But, now it's available in Germany. I guess it means it's available in all europe. USA should be next.
    I remember [[but perhaps I'm wrong) that european rules about musical edition, intellect property say that 50 years without commercial use making to fall it in public domain ; and 70 years for the USA [[or at least a different length). That's why sometimes you find an album here but not there...

I can understand these reasons but I think it's totaly stupid a the time of the World Wide Web...
    Thank you for the link. It has been very helpful.