[REMOVE ADS]

supremes a go go

with the upcoming release{ 2016] of Go Go for the 50th, I was curious as to what your favorite tracks are. I loVe the two singles but it was never my favorite album by them but some love it what are your favorite tracks minus the singles.thanks....SHAKE ME WAKE ME is mine

I will go along with you on Shake Me, Wake Me When its over. The delivery is infectious.

Never my favourite album either but it had some good ones on it.

As far as covers - This Old Heart Of Mine - Baby I Need Your Loving and I Can't Help Myself were my favourites

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    You Can't Hurry Love
    Shake Me, Wake Me
    Baby I Need Your Loving
    I Can't Help Myself
    Put Yourself In My Place
    Hang On Sloopy

Come and get these memories; This old heart of mine

Come and Get These Memories , Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart and You Can't Hurry Love
    Last edited by marv2; 12-15-2015 at 01:03 AM.

You Can't Hurry Love
    Shake Me, Wake Me
    Put Yourself In My Place
    Always hated Come and get these memories . Martha and the Vandellas own this song!

Besides the two singles I'd have to pick the following:
    Shake Me, Wake Me
    Put Yourself In My Place
    Baby I Need Your Loving
    Get Ready
    This Old Heart Of Mine
    I Can't Help Myself
    I even like "These Boots", "Hang On Sloopy" and "Money", so that's about all of them.
    I'm with vgalindo on "Come And Get These Memories", not a good version...

Wayne

I love the two singles and really enjoy the whole record, but "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" features just about my favorite passage in pop music of all time - from 2:21 on; Diana's yearning lead vocal and wonderful phasing, Mary and Flo providing a solid and fantastic background, the minimal backing track with just the right amount of percussion and then the swirl back into the full song at the end for just a few seconds...to me it's just perfect and never fails to give me waves of those oh-so-delicious music chills that made me love The Supremes [[and music in general) in the first place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlGHBVPN_gA

Link to specific part of song:
    https://youtu.be/ZlGHBVPN_gA?t=142

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    You Can't Hurry Love

All the rest are cover versions and there ain't nothing like the real thing!

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart for sure.

You Can't Hurry Love is not one of my favorite songs but it was so immensely popular and remains so today.

Shake Me Wake Me was a fairly early sign that Diana Ross was special. One of the things she does well is that she has an understanding of going for a hook in a song; the line that is going to get into your head and be an earbug and she did that very well on A Go Go but especially on Shake Me Wake Me.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I love the two singles and really enjoy the whole record, but "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" features just about my favorite passage in pop music of all time - from 2:21 on; Diana's yearning lead vocal and wonderful phasing, Mary and Flo providing a solid and fantastic background, the minimal backing track with just the right amount of percussion and then the swirl back into the full song at the end for just a few seconds...to me it's just perfect and never fails to give me waves of those oh-so-delicious music chills that made me love The Supremes [[and music in general) in the first place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlGHBVPN_gA

Link to specific part of song:
    https://youtu.be/ZlGHBVPN_gA?t=142
    ejluther, I agree 100% with everything you said about "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'." I recall that I originally had the mono recording of this album before I traded it in for the stereo. I was so disappointed that the stereo version [[although good) of the section of the song you're speaking of seemed to lack the intensity of the mono version. I hope the new release will include both.

Wow, it's really something how we can have opposing views [[in addition to our similarities in taste).

My favorites [[besides the 2 singles)
    This Old Heart of Mine
    Baby I Need Your Loving
    Put Yourself in My Place
    Come and Get These Memories

Least played:
    I Can't Help Myself
    Shake Me, Wake Me

Isn't the more important question on the 50th Anniversary release of The Supremes A' Go Go really, will the A' Go Go letters be in blue or green?????

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Isn't the more important question on the 50th Anniversary release of The Supremes A' Go Go really, will the A' Go Go letters be in blue or green?????
    These are all critical questions!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    ejluther, I agree 100% with everything you said about "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'." I recall that I originally had the mono recording of this album before I traded it in for the stereo. I was so disappointed that the stereo version [[although good) of the section of the song you're speaking of seemed to lack the intensity of the mono version. I hope the new release will include both.
    Now I go the opposite......when I first heard the stereo version..I fell in love with their version. Up to that point, I thought it sounded mediocre on my mono album

Oh, I have absolutely no doubt we'll get both the Blue AND the Green and the stereo AND the mono mixes...after all, we have George, Andy, Harry and Kevin in our corners!

As for stereo vs. mono of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" - I fell in love with the stereo first but the mono is awesome, too...

But it'll be digital only!

they are working on a company to release the cd versions. hopefully by the 50th GO GO next august, we have the cds?

who's said that A Go Go is actually coming out? i know it was listed before but seems like that has been delayed indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    they are working on a company to release the cd versions. hopefully by the 50th GO GO next august, we have the cds?
    How do you know this? Is it a fact or wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    How do you know this? Is it a fact or wishful thinking?
    I believe this was mentioned several times during the recent "Nightflight" featuring "Merry Christmas" and "The Wiz".

Now to answer the topic question, I have always been partial to "Come and get These Memories". Yes, it's nothing like MR version, but that's comparing apples to oranges. It's a cute track. And rare for a Supreme to have an album cut. I know some of you simply don't like it because it's Mary Wilson on lead.

Another favorite is "I Can't Help Myself". Of course, nothing can compare to Levi. Apples and oranges, right? Does anyone remember the show "China Beach"? There was an episode where the lead singer of a girl-group couldn't go onstage, so Laurette [[Chloe Webb) takes over, and this was the song they sang.

Truthfully, this is my favorite LP of the Diana/Supremes era.

yes Andy confirmed GO GO for the 50th. no release date. i am assuming Ross may be released next year as well

Yes. I can hardly wait for Ross 78. I heard there is a lot of unreleased tracks for this project.

I hope the release is in the next couple months at least......Very excited. I hope we see a remastered version of Slow Down and Just A Little Misunderstanding.

I just revisited the mono version of the LP and it really does pack a punch!

I love this album except for mary's two favorites. I don't like Come And Get These Memories or I Can't help Myself. Don't like the tracks or the vocals.

My favorites:
    Shake Me wake Me
    Baby i Need Your Loving
    Get Ready
    Money
    Put Yourself in My Place
    Hang On Sloopy [[Minus the screeechy "hang", othwise Diana is perfect on it)

Forgive me if this has been asked, but is this the album where it is believed many of the instrumental tracks were done in LA? Although very good,some of the backing tracks seemed to have a different feel about them to me.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Forgive me if this has been asked, but is this the album where it is believed many of the instrumental tracks were done in LA? Although very good,some of the backing tracks seemed to have a different feel about them to me.
    It was mentioned a while ago that all the odd numbered tracks were recorded in Detroit and the even numbered tracks were recorded in LA.

SAME OLD SONG and HEATWAVE were recorded for this lp but saved for SING HDH

Hey guys, I see that Andy posted just this week on Facebook that Universal has just started a new company that is taking the place of Hip-O Select that was shut down. It is called the Universal Music Vault!

I noticed during the holidays when Hip-O was shut, that the remaining inventory was shifted to the Capitol Records Music Store and it now appearing that the contract company that was running that is the one that will be running UMV.

This is all leading me to believe that the delays of the last few years have been possibly because of the restructuring of Universal due to purchase of EMI. I heard that the 1st company that handled Hip-O's contract in Connecticut did not get a renewal in about 2007 they switched to another firm in Indianapolis. When i ordered from them in the late 2000's they were always very slow in shipping my orders. So hopefully this new company will do a better job and UME will finally start issuing more specialty cd's like they did with Hip-O.

Since practically everything that they were issuing was ALWAYS in limited editions, it didn't make sense that they would stop cold turkey. Plus everything that they were issuing in limited edition was appearing as downloads 6 to 9 months later anyway.

We know that others like ACE in the UK and FunkyTownGrooves would probably kill to get Supremes reissue cd's, so it didn't make sense Universal would hold back. Maybe Universal Music Vault is the reason why as they still want to do it themselves ?

Thx Greg. Must be the case since Andy posted that!

RossHolloway Guest
    I see this as positive news.

For those interested, this is the link to the Universal Music Vault:
    http://shop.universalmusicenterprises.com/

Thanx Thommg for posting the link, I should have done that originally.

I, too, am feeling positive about this. Additionally because about 10 days ago someone specifically asked Andy about his contacting FTG. His answer was NO because the issues were purely logistical. Was perplexed when seeing that answer, but now it kind of is better explains it and falling into place.

My gut reaction is that Universal was in negotiations to find a fulfillment house for the new UMV and if that news leaked then, it may have hurt the negotiations.

You know, i also get the gut feeling that it's harder to find good cd fulfillment houses these days. i think that Warner/Rhino Handmade does it themselves through their own distribution. Sony, never went that route, preferring just to use Legacy and not use a separate division like Handmade.

Plus, with the acquisition, they have not used Hip-O for any in depth compilation releases through their normal distribution in a long time and needed a new name since absorbing EMI. The sad part is that it has taken so long for everything [[over 4 years), but then I guess Universal had a lot of expenses merging the companies.
    Last edited by greg jones; 02-08-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    For those interested, this is the link to the Universal Music Vault:
    http://shop.universalmusicenterprises.com/
    Great to see CD / DVD and vinyl on this website. This can only be encouraging for the future.