[REMOVE ADS]

Target still in CD business

Although I rarely go to a Target because the closest one is 40 miles away, every Sunday in the newspaper I get their weekly circular. Today for the first time ever I looked through it and much to my surprise they had nearly 2 dozen CDs available for purchase. I don't know how extensive their offerings are in the stores, but they are still in the CD business. Does anyone know?

Target closed down completely in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Although I rarely go to a Target because the closest one is 40 miles away, every Sunday in the newspaper I get their weekly circular. Today for the first time ever I looked through it and much to my surprise they had nearly 2 dozen CDs available for purchase. I don't know how extensive their offerings are in the stores, but they are still in the CD business. Does anyone know?
    Last time I went to the one in Manhattan [[to get Adele 25), they had reduced their cd's from 4 aisles and 4 endcaps to 2 aisles and 3 endcaps. Most of the cd's available were the current top 20 and Greatest Hits. They still offer major cd's with bonus tracks, though, so that's good. The Adele 25 cd had 3 extras, one of which is my favorite on the entire project.

I think like most retail stores, they only focus on new CDs but occasionally you'll see older CDs [[like in my Target).

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Most Target stores still carry CDs, but they are usually just the new hit albums, or tried and true compilations, just like Best Buy and Walmart. They are good for some exclusives and cheap prices on that odd CD that has a hit or two that you want, but, other than that: useless.

But, don't blame Target. It's a trend that's been happening for over the last ten years that started with the fall of the record labels taking over distribution, putting stringent policies on returns, big box stores selling CDs as loss-leaders, and the collapse of Tower Records, Virgin, and other major music retailers. Also, the rise of online retailers like Amazon helped hurt sales from brick and mortar stores.

Another place to blame for the reduced variety of music can be squarely placed on Walmart. Wally World has, since the late 80s, only sold censored product, and product they deemed safe for "Middle America". They didn't want to offend christians, conservatives, and rural buyers. Consider that they are based in the south, and have the deepest presence in the south. Out here in the west, Target dominates, or is an equal competitor to Walmart. So, as Walmart does, so does the rest of the retail industry.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Target closed down completely in Canada
    That's because they went about it all wrong. They opened way too many stores at once, and didn't supply the stores. Their prices were higher than the competitors.

Here in the states, they are closing down under-performing stores to stay competitive.

I have both a Target and Walmart just down the road from my house, but I only shop Target. I refuse to shop at Walmart for a variety of reasons, political, and logistical. there's a K-Mart just a little further away, but I usually have no reason to go in there. They carry almost nothing I ever need.

in this neck of the woods, Target and Wal Mart stock plenty of CDs.. but the big store is in the mall, F.Y.E. [[which is actually my former employer, Sam Goody's, with a different name, same owners)

Target was a mess in Canada and they just got it all wrong.

Local Costco and London Drugs are stocking ONE CD this Christmas ~ no surprise, Adele.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    in this neck of the woods, Target and Wal Mart stock plenty of CDs.. but the big store is in the mall, F.Y.E. [[which is actually my former employer, Sam Goody's, with a different name, same owners)
    We had an fye in a mall. It was the only reason I ever went there, aside from my wife wanting to look at shoes. The only issue I had with fye is their prices. Otherwise, they had a very nice selection.

I really miss Tower, though. They had everything! Virgin, not so much, but they were nice, too.

Now, I do all my CD shopping at Zia Record and CD Exchange, a regional independent record store chain.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Local Costco and London Drugs are stocking ONE CD this Christmas ~ no surprise, Adele.
    When Costco did sell CDs, it was usually just the same greatest hits stuff you found at Target anyway.

Target recently fired the guy whose idea it was to go into Canada in the first place. Target Canada was poorly managed. They imported bosses from the U.S. and didn't consider Canadian culture. They treated the employees like The U.S. treats employees, and that didn't sit too well up there.

We had a FYE in New York City, but it's gone. I thought most of them had disappeared. Good to know there are still some hanging around. I found many interesting things in FYE.

F.Y.E. also has a very active on line presence..

I didn't know that F.Y.E. had roots with Sam Goody. I just read its history on Wikopedia and found it interesting. There is an F.Y.E. in a mall near me which was once a Sam Goody.

I worked for Sam Goody too for a minute many years ago. Sam "Goody" Gutowitz' son-in-law was the manager of the store and Robert Morse's [[Mad Men) father worked there. I didn't like working there. They required the sales force to wear a suit and tie, but then made us go down to the docks to unload trucks. When I found something better, I moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    We had a FYE in New York City, but it's gone. I thought most of them had disappeared. Good to know there are still some hanging around. I found many interesting things in FYE.
    Hey, thommg, not sure in what borough you live, but there is still one FYE in the Bronx on White Plains Road.

I was hired by Goody's in 1974 when I wandered in with my king size afro, my purple shirt, my orange pants and my bright green "Frankenstein' monster platform shoes..in less than an year I was Record Dept, Manager in Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove location.. I navigated through glam/glitter rock, California rock, disco, Saturday Night Fever/ Grease soundtracks mania, and all the boring Air supply stuff at the end of the decade.. I left in 1980 but was asked to come back a year or two later at the height of the brand new MTV.. I always pushed new Motown product , played and reported the 70's Supremes and the solo Mary Wilson album to all the trade magazines and NY radio.. I made sure I was the 'reporter' for all the sales info..

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Hey, thommg, not sure in what borough you live, but there is still one FYE in the Bronx on White Plains Road.
    I'm in Washington Height, right by the GW Bridge. I'll have to check out the store in the Bronx.