Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
Amen! I remember I was to be visiting my college girlfriend who lived in NYC over holiday break. I could not get my father to cough up the money after that news broke.
I remember the shocked faces of the announcers & their eyes filled with tears as they reported the story. If the assassinations of JFK, MLK & RFK were the signal that the relative naivety of the Eisenhower years were over, the murder of Lennon placed the final nail into that coffin.

His death was like the final nail hammered into the coffin of that whole "Make Love, Not War" "Love Generation" & ushered us squarely into the beginning of the "Me Generation". A few years later saw the rise of unparalleled Wall Street greed, financial scandals, the defunding of critical programs & a few years later, the crack era & the so-called "war" on drugs, which couldn't have been much of a "war", as crack filled our streets & let's not talk about Oliver North & all of that.

While never truly a rose garden, one has to admit that American society & their compassion as a whole, has been trending downward since the 80s & rather decidedly, at that.