[REMOVE ADS]

I'll do Anything: Doris Troy Anthology Kent Records

I know nothing about this whatsoever, except for the title on Ace/Kent records' website. Just thought that I'd mention it in case anyone is interested. Doris hasn't had a proper compilation of her Atlantic sides, except for a long-out of print cd and a 12-track import Collectables cd. I'm hoping this covers the Atlantic stuff- her other records are, as far as a I know, easily available. Good to see her getting her dues - What'cha gonna do about it and Just one Look were two of the records that first got me into soul. A truly underrated singer, this is well overdue.

The twenty one track Best Of Doris Troy that was issued on Ichiban/Soul Classics back in 1994 was a pretty good collection.

That's the long-out of print cd I was referring to in the original post- just couldn't remember the title/company that released it. Good spot- wanted that one for a while but cost put me off.

Doris Troy is a soul legend who deserves to have a CD of her recordings issued, as it's been so long since anything was issued on her.
    A great soul talent indeed.

That Ichiban CD was a good one. All of those Ichiban titles were worth getting..at the time.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  21.1 KB
    I wonder if it will just have Atlantic cuts, or will include her Capitol and Calla cuts, as well?

It'll be virtually all of them Robb.

John Smith, can you find the photos you took of her at Cleethorpes or the 100 Club?

Ady

Quote Originally Posted by ady_croasdell View Post
    It'll be virtually all of them Robb.

John Smith, can you find the photos you took of her at Cleethorpes or the 100 Club?

Ady
    Sounds good. Count me in for one. When does it go on sale? Have been a fan of Doris Troy's since forever. My late uncle had her singles on Atlantic and used to play those records at house parties. My favorite is Whatcha Gonna Do 'Bout It?
    I met her once in Detroit in 1985 during a local run of Mama, I Want To Sing.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 12-03-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Track listing and further info

Track list from play.com
    1. I'll Do Anything [[He Wants Me To Do)
    2. Face Up To The Truth
    3. Just One Look
    4. You Better Mind
    5. What A Night, Night, Night
    6. What A Wonderful Lover
    7. Tell Him I'm Not Home - Chuck Jackson [[With Doris Troy)
    8. What'cha Gonna Do About It
    9. Tomorrow Is Another Day
    10. Lazy Days [[When Are You Coming Home)
    11. Time
    12. But I Love Him
    13. Please Little Angel
    14. One More Chance
    15. Beg Me - Tell Him I'm Not Home - Chuck Jackson [[With Doris Troy)
    16. Hurry
    17. He Don't Belong To Me
    18. Heartaches
    19. He's Qualified
    20. Ain't That Cute
    21. You Tore Me Up Inside
    22. Don't Tell Your Mama
    23. Can't Hold On
    24. Smilin'/Let Me Make Love To You [[Medley) - [[With Vy Higginsen)
    25. Hear Me Calling - Tell Him I'm Not Home - James Hunter [[With Doris Troy)
    26. Take My Hand, Precious Lord

Further info from Heyday Mail Order;

'This career-spanning anthology of the great soul singer Doris Troy takes us from her debut single, released as by Doris Payne in 1960, through to a super Bobby Bland-style duet with James Hunter recorded in 1996.

The collection kicks off with 1965’s ‘I’ll Do Anything [[He Wants Me To Do)’, her much-loved Northern Soul anthem, and concludes with a track from the London run of Mama I Want To Sing, the award-winning stage show based on Doris’ life.

Doris’ classic Atlantic period is represented by her classic hit singles ‘Just One Look’ and ‘What’cha Gonna Do About It’, plus a further eight titles, including two album cuts and ‘But I Love Him’, a rare B-side released only in the UK.

Among the seven new-to-CD selections are the A-sides of Doris’ first three pre-fame singles and ‘Face Up To The Truth’, another Northern Soul favourite.

The booklet features a lengthy interview with Doris conducted in 1995 during the last of her many spells as a British resident, plus a personal tribute from her close friend David Nathan, who also produced her recording of the O’Jays song ‘Let Me Make Love To You’, released here for the first time ever.'