[REMOVE ADS]

Tracee & Diana Sing Lady Sing The Blues Together

by Kayla Hawkins

Tracee Ellis Ross didn’t need to rest on her famous heritage to build her reputation as a rightfully adored TV comedian, but she does pay tribute to her mother, Diana Ross, and her remarkable, legendary singing career. And the two Ross women took to the stage recently and showcased that they’re both excellent singers.

In the concert, Tracee walked out on stage to perform one of her mother’s signature songs — “Lady Sings the Blues,” originally from the 1972 film where Diana played Billie Holiday, the jazz singer.

Tracee’s performance of course has some of her signature comedy, as she jokes about being terrified to perform to such a large audience. Eventually, she sings a bit from the song a capella, and her voice is, undoubtedly, fantastic.
    by Kayla Hawkins

Diana also offers that Tracee has always had some measure of stage fright, nervous to come on stage at her mother’s concerts ever since she was a small child. “I can sing so well in the shower,” Tracee jokes just before heading offstage. She also has proven that she can sing well in an Instagram video, where she performed a bit of the same song months earlier.

The performance was recorded back on Nov. 21, but the surprise of the performance still has people reeling — who knew the talented actress also inherited her mother’s singing ability?

Tracee is definitely a talented lady.

Thank you.

Really enjoyed seeing this, Milven. Thank you for posting. Plus, it led to several other clips from the Venetian Theatre run.

Where I see she us still singing All We Do Is Win!

Mother Diana,and her Daughter Tracee,love this,Tracee is a very nice person.

There's a longer interview with Tracee about this; she's obviously a very smart lady

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There's a longer interview with Tracee about this; she's obviously a very smart lady
    This is what she wrote on Facebook:

Last week, in Vegas, my mom, out of nowhere, stopped her show and asked me to come onstage and sing. I think the last time my mom asked me to sing I was 5 or 6 years old. I swear at first I thought she said Evan [[my brother, a singer, who was also there). But then I realized she said my name, and before I could think, I was walking toward the stage!

Now, I’m not afraid of much. I used to be afraid of everything. I was shy as a child. Probably tough to believe but it’s true. I still get nervous all the time, but I never let it stop me and I’m certainly not afraid of performing. But, somehow, by the time I stepped onto the stage it was as if I was 6 years old again! There’s something about singing….. It’s no joke trying to do that as the child of DIANA ROSS, let alone while standing by her side on stage. Plus, when you’re nervous, it’s hard to hear, it’s hard to breathe, and it’s hard to be present. These are all important things when you are singing!

Anyway, here it is, me stepping on stage with my mom, fighting through so many childhood fears and fantasies. There is no way to describe the pressure, the fear of what it feels like to allow my voice to be heard as Diana Ross’ child.

All my life I have witnessed her as Diana Ross the icon and Diana Ross the mother, and I have experienced her seamlessly bridge this incredible dichotomy with grace and ease. She is a nurturing and fierce mom, intimate and ancient, in a setting that isn’t meant to support mothering: on stage with the whole world watching. There is a way in which she creates privacy and makes space for the sacred in the most public of settings. It is profound, and defines an infinite depth and wisdom that my mom holds. She has always carved out space for her children. I have always known I was the priority.

Well here I am, a grown woman with so many thoughts and feelings colluding and colliding. Here is my voice, as much as I could let out.

My favorite part was me burying my head into her shoulder. It has been ages since I’ve hidden so deeply in my mother’s embrace and it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This is what she wrote on Facebook:

Last week, in Vegas, my mom, out of nowhere, stopped her show and asked me to come onstage and sing. I think the last time my mom asked me to sing I was 5 or 6 years old. I swear at first I thought she said Evan [[my brother, a singer, who was also there). But then I realized she said my name, and before I could think, I was walking toward the stage!

Now, I’m not afraid of much. I used to be afraid of everything. I was shy as a child. Probably tough to believe but it’s true. I still get nervous all the time, but I never let it stop me and I’m certainly not afraid of performing. But, somehow, by the time I stepped onto the stage it was as if I was 6 years old again! There’s something about singing….. It’s no joke trying to do that as the child of DIANA ROSS, let alone while standing by her side on stage. Plus, when you’re nervous, it’s hard to hear, it’s hard to breathe, and it’s hard to be present. These are all important things when you are singing!

Anyway, here it is, me stepping on stage with my mom, fighting through so many childhood fears and fantasies. There is no way to describe the pressure, the fear of what it feels like to allow my voice to be heard as Diana Ross’ child.

All my life I have witnessed her as Diana Ross the icon and Diana Ross the mother, and I have experienced her seamlessly bridge this incredible dichotomy with grace and ease. She is a nurturing and fierce mom, intimate and ancient, in a setting that isn’t meant to support mothering: on stage with the whole world watching. There is a way in which she creates privacy and makes space for the sacred in the most public of settings. It is profound, and defines an infinite depth and wisdom that my mom holds. She has always carved out space for her children. I have always known I was the priority.

Well here I am, a grown woman with so many thoughts and feelings colluding and colliding. Here is my voice, as much as I could let out.

My favorite part was me burying my head into her shoulder. It has been ages since I’ve hidden so deeply in my mother’s embrace and it was awesome.

Thats just lovely and it shows what a real great upbringing these kids had and the love they have for there mom. ive never heard of any of her 5 kids ever been in trouble. Miss Ross has raised some great kids.

thanks for sharing.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thats just lovely and it shows what a real great upbringing these kids had and the love they have for there mom. ive never heard of any of her 5 kids ever been in trouble. Miss Ross has raised some great kids.

thanks for sharing.

Roberta
    Agree 100%

And thank you Milvern for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

thanks for sharing.

Roberta
    Yes she has Roberta. When I worked with her in the 90's the mere mention of her kids brought a big smile to Diana's face. If there was ever a potentially difficult situation it was quickly diffused when she thought of her family. Having said that she was incredibly protective towards them and she made sure no-one took any unauthorised photos of them . It was one of the reasons why for the most part working with Ms Ross was something I always looked forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes she has Roberta. When I worked with her in the 90's the mere mention of her kids brought a big smile to Diana's face. If there was ever a potentially difficult situation it was quickly diffused when she thought of her family. Having said that she was incredibly protective towards them and she made sure no-one took any unauthorised photos of them . It was one of the reasons why for the most part working with Ms Ross was something I always looked forward to.
    Thats real lovely to hear dear Bluebrock.

fondly,

Roberta

Interesting, Tracey has 1.2 likes on Facebook compared to Diana's 1.8 million; Smokey has 980000 and Evan has 50000.

Taylor Swift has 73 Million.

Some other Motown singers have some fairly modest numbers.

well of course if you're a current worldwide chart star you will pull Taylor/ GaGa/ Adele type numbers from all the kids worldwide.. we all stopped being 'the kids' about five decades ago...lol

My point was Diana's numbers are huge for someone of that era. As an example, some other Supremes run around 6000.