[REMOVE ADS]

Dee Dee Sharp - I'm Not In Love

Sometimes I just post a video because I want to share some truly good, but overlooked music........like this one. Dee Dee Sharp "I'm Not In Love". Check it out:

If I hadn't lived in a large city in the mid-70s. I never would have heard this masterpiece. It was a treat to hear it on the radio in 1976, and was later shocked to find that it was Dee Dee Sharp of "The Mashed Potato" fame! I was even more surprised to find that it was released by Philadelphia International Records.

Marv, I have to say that this version and the original by 10cc are both my favorites, and both have their strengths in different areas. The 10cc version makes you feel the lyrics, while Sharp's version is a fantastic performance.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    If I hadn't lived in a large city in the mid-70s. I never would have heard this masterpiece. It was a treat to hear it on the radio in 1976, and was later shocked to find that it was Dee Dee Sharp of "The Mashed Potato" fame! I was even more surprised to find that it was released by Philadelphia International Records.

Marv, I have to say that this version and the original by 10cc are both my favorites, and both have their strengths in different areas. The 10cc version makes you feel the lyrics, while Sharp's version is a fantastic performance.
    I hear you Soulster! I can remember 10cc's version very well as they use to play it on CKLW Windsor/Detroit a lot when it was first released. I use to sleep with the radio on back in high school and would hear it at night and it sounded great. Dee Dee's version ranks right up there! Hers was also recorded in 1975 which is the same year 10cc's was a big hit. Scherrie Payne recorded it also a number of years later and I believe it may gave been for RobbK's label. I like hers too but it is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Dee Dee's version ranks right up there! Hers was also recorded in 1975 which is the same year 10cc's was a big hit.
    It's a damn shame that most people I meet [[at least around here) have never heard of Sharp's version.

Gotta love it near the end where she says "Me? In love? I know you're crazy!". LOL!

It's a damn shame that most people I meet [[at least around here) have never heard of Sharp's version.

Gotta love it near the end where she says "Me? In love? I know you're crazy!". LOL!
    That is a good line....hehehehehehehe!

It was given a fair bit of airplay on the soul shows in the UK in the 70's. Strangely I never cared much for Dee Dee's version at the time but now I appreciate her excellent vocals though I still prefer the original.

Dee Dee's version was issued from the lp Happy 'Bout The Whole Thing on 45 and did chart R&B. People occasionally request it at her shows.

Dee Dee gives Dame Shirley Bassey a run for her money with this one.

Dee Dee gives Dame Shirley Bassey a run for her money with this one.
    Don't think I have ever seen these two ladies in the same sentence before but strangely enough I kind of understand what you are getting at!

Thank you,marv,i've been in love with this version since i first heard it back in[1975]very,very underrated,as a matter of fact when my original copy got old i bought a fresh copy,great gem.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    as a matter of fact when my original copy got old i bought a fresh copy,great gem.
    Now you don't have to buy a fresh copy. Just get it in digital and it will last longer than you!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Thank you,marv,i've been in love with this version since i first heard it back in[1975]very,very underrated,as a matter of fact when my original copy got old i bought a fresh copy,great gem.
    JAI you are most welcome! I love her version of this song.

Now you don't have to buy a fresh copy. Just get it in digital and it will last longer than you!
    Always thinking ahead huh? LOL!

Always thinking ahead huh? LOL!
    Yup! I don't have the "get it now" mentality that so many people have. I have been cursed with patience.

Her version of Id Really love to see you tonight is also just fantastic .https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6N_sbvU2FeY. Listen to the end. She really lets go
    Last edited by luke; 11-30-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Her version of Id Really love to see you tonight is also just fantastic .https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6N_sbvU2FeY. Listen to the end. She really lets go
    Oh that is nice.....real nice! Thanks Luke.

I hear you Soulster! I can remember 10cc's version very well as they use to play it on CKLW Windsor/Detroit a lot when it was first released. I use to sleep with the radio on back in high school and would hear it at night and it sounded great. Dee Dee's version ranks right up there! Hers was also recorded in 1975 which is the same year 10cc's was a big hit. Scherrie Payne recorded it also a number of years later and I believe it may gave been for RobbK's label. I like hers too but it is totally different.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes. Scherrie recorded "I'm Not In Love" for us at Airwave. And she did a great job on it. Hers was more uptempo than this version. But, that's no surprise, as our main market were the dance clubs and their cliantel.

I think I remember our neighbour, Mickey Stevenson, having some of his artists, a duet, sing that song near the end of the '70s.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  21.1 KB
    Dee Dee Sharp recorded a lot of very Soulful songs after leaving Cameo [[ATCO, Gamble), but, she actually recorded some nice Soul in her last couple years with Cameo, especially when she worked with Carl Davis' Chicago Jalynne crew [[Barrett Strong, Gerald Sims, Sonny Sanders)-[["Standing In The Need of Love", "It's A Funny Situation", "[[It's Wonderful) The Love I Have For You") under Jerry Butler's supervision.
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-30-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Dee Dee is working on new material. Check out her website and her facebook fanpage.

Dee Dee Sharp's whole album, Happy Bout The Whole Thing is a great album,i found it on cd,about 10 years ago,sometimes i pull Dee Dee's cd out,and play it,like it's brand new,if you like I'm Not In Love,you're like the whole album,it's The Best. p.s at that time she was Dee Dee Sharp Gamble.

The Happy 'Bout ...album was issued on TSOP label as by Dee Dee Sharp. Two singles were issued, "Happy 'Bout The Whole.." and "I'm Not In Love". Her next lp, What Color Is Love, was issued by Dee Dee Sharp Gamble as was her third "Dee Dee". Both were on the Philadelphia International label. These lps are FANTASTIC! They have really stood the test of time as they sound just as good now as then. All three are available on a 2 CD by Edsel in association with Phil. Int. Superb quality with excellent packaging and booklet.

You are on point Rrussi,i also have Dee Dee Sharp's 2 cd set,love it,but Happy Bout The Whole Thing is my fav,what a voice

Frankie Crocker had IMIL by Dee Dee in rotation for a while back in 75 on WBLS in NYC.
    That's what turned a lot of people here in the Tri-State area on to the album.It was part of his "Urban Adult Contemp" programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Don't think I have ever seen these two ladies in the same sentence before but strangely enough I kind of understand what you are getting at!
    To me, Dee Dee Sharp absolutely ranks up there with her on all counts! I like Shirely Bassey, but I LOVE Dee Dee Sharp.....always have.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Frankie Crocker had IMIL by Dee Dee in rotation for a while back in 75 on WBLS in NYC.
    That's what turned a lot of people here in the Tri-State area on to the album.It was part of his "Urban Adult Contemp" programming.

I miss Frankie Crocker and them. I was talking to a friend of mine that was married to his cousin just tonight.

Check out www.deedeesharp.com as Dee Dee has a Christmas disc available that she has recently done over the past few years. You can also listen/download one of her new recordings, Real Love, which is a great soulful ballad.