[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gladys Knight on Miss Ross- "We Had To Grow Up"..

This was just posted on SD recently.

really? did not see it...

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I do not understand your point.

but not on the Motown Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post

What are you trying to say. To me he was just informing the poster here that it may be a duplicate of a fairly recent thread. No points, no foul and most importantly that you understand.........no arguments!

Luke could you please clean out your mailbox here? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    The Gladys interview with the Diana excerpt was already posted a month or so ago, that's what luke was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The Gladys interview with the Diana excerpt was already posted a month or so ago, that's what luke was saying.
    Thank you Midnightman.

Jim, I am glad you posted the link to the Gladys Knight Radio interview because it really is wonderful. The DJ giving Gladys and the Pips a well deserved Kudo for being the first to feature break dancers into a music video. The story of Gladys and her group being asked by Berry to return to Detroit because their act was making such a huge impression opening for Diana Ross & The Supremes is startling. But Gladys took it all in good stride and as she so graciously states, "We had to grow up!" Gladys has and always have my respect as a wonderful singer and a marvellous human being!
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 11-28-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Jim, I am glad you posted the link to the Gladys Knight Radio interview because it really is wonderful. The DJ giving Gladys and the Pips a well deserved Kudo for being the first to feature break dancers into a music video. The story of Gladys and her group being asked by Berry to return to Detroit because their act was making such a huge impression opening for Diana Ross & The Supremes is startling. But Gladys took it all in good stride and as she so graciously states, "We had to grow up!" Gladys has and always have my respect as a wonderful singer and a marvellous human being!
    Well said Mark. I have always found Gladys to be a pleasant and gracious person. She also happens to be one of the finest female vocalists of all time!

Bluebrock, over the years I have loved Billie Holiday, Diana Ross, Aretha, Chaka, Tina. Patti, and just about every other fine female vocalist that came around and there has been some splendid voices of our time. However, for humility, grace, soul and funk and no loss of voice over the years, Gladys Knight stands head and shoulders above the others in my opinion. The masses may not hold her in the great esteem we do, but Miss Gladys KNOWS who she is, and so do we! That is all that matters!

I liked this interview a lot and am glad that it was posted again so that more people can see how nice and graceful she is. I like the comment " We had to grow up "

Here are the other threads commenting on the video
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...=gladys+knight

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...015-[[35-mins-)

It was Diana Ross who said "WE all had to grow up". Which shows maturity, and accountability for her part, but also not letting Gladys forget the role that she may have played as well. I don't for one second believe that it was all about how great Gladys Knight and the Pips were, and that's why they were removed from the tour.

Yes but a lot of people may have you on ignore so maybe they didnt see it the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Bluebrock, over the years I have loved Billie Holiday, Diana Ross, Aretha, Chaka, Tina. Patti, and just about every other fine female vocalist that came around and there has been some splendid voices of our time. However, for humility, grace, soul and funk and no loss of voice over the years, Gladys Knight stands head and shoulders above the others in my opinion. The masses may not hold her in the great esteem we do, but Miss Gladys KNOWS who she is, and so do we! That is all that matters!
    Oh yes indeed dear brother!! A very well put statement my friend.

I will just say AMEN to you Skooldem..... Diana also told Gladys I wish we could have been friends and I wish things could have been different which also says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It was Diana Ross who said "WE all had to grow up". Which shows maturity, and accountability for her part, but also not letting Gladys forget the role that she may have played as well. I don't for one second believe that it was all about how great Gladys Knight and the Pips were, and that's why they were removed from the tour.

Most of the gossipy sensationalist stuff is made up and overblown

You hear it again and again from those that were there and you hear it more as they grow old and express their love and respect for each other more

Diana was always singled out for every word and action because she was the star star star

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post

It was also Diane that had them thrown off of that tour and missed that money! Don't get it twisted. Gladys & the Pips had families to feed in those days and they were using the talents that God gave them to earn a living. The fact that Gladys Knight's vocal ability was greater than Diana Ross' was of no consequence. Gladys may have forgiven her, but she sure as Hell has not forgotten it which this interview proves. I am just happy that they did not get discouraged and continued on to greater and greater heights! Gladys is still a very powerful vocalist and Bubba can still light up the stage whether singing, rapping or dancing. I know, I just saw them 2 months ago!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-29-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Yes but a lot of people may have you on ignore so maybe they didnt see it the first time around.
    Luke, a lot of people do not have you on ignore. Don't fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I will just say AMEN to you Skooldem..... Diana also told Gladys I wish we could have been friends and I wish things could have been different which also says a lot.
    That is an interesting comment if Diana Ross said that! Why couldn't they be friends? Gladys and Bubba Knight and Mary Wilson have been friends for decades. William Guest of the Pips and Florence Ballard even dated. It was possible for those individuals to be friends so what was Diane's problem? They were all similarly situated.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Most of the gossipy sensationalist stuff is made up and overblown

You hear it again and again from those that were there and you hear it more as they grow old and express their love and respect for each other more

Diana was always singled out for every word and action because she was the star star star
    Gladys Knight is not making this story up. She, and I believe Mary Wilson wrote about it previously in their individual autobiographies. Diana Ross singled herself out for these types of stories because of her very poor behavior towards other performers and people in general. It has nothing to do with her being a star,star, star. There are other stars bigger than her that do not mistreat people or at least you never hear about it. With Ross, it has become expected that she is going to be mean and nasty. It is a part of her persona and she is generally thought of that way. How many producers have stated that she came in to the studio with a foul attitude. Many have. Some of you even posted stories like that here.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-29-2015 at 04:54 PM.

In this particular case [[and I am a Ross fan) she used her muscle and leaned in a direction that Gordy steered her towards when his desire for her solo act became a priority.. all parties concerned agreed that she was a different person before Gordy started telling her to distance herself from everyone and told the press [[it was HIS idea) to "Call Her Miss Ross".. and in the name of success, she went along for the ride and became someone else.. I remain a fan, but it is what it is.. I can enjoy her work without pretending that she's not a diva.. and apparently, she is very good at it..lol

Exactly, Jim. I was trying to say it like that but my initial comment was all over the place but yep, Gordy definitely is to blame for why Diana turned out like that. I don't think she'd done it without Gordy's encouragement. Gordy always told his artists to battle against each other... seems Diana was his most loyal student when it came to that. And I'm speaking as a Ross fan too.

What Gladys didn't say in this interview is that the only reason they were on this gig was because of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Diana Ross and The Supremes were the headliners and could bring whomever they choose to open. The only reason they were making money off this gig was because of Diana and the Supremes. For Berry to say "Your Messing Up My Star Act" meant money was in jeopardy. I say this because I know money was the driving factor.

What Gladys didn't say in this interview is that the only reason they were on this gig was because of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Diana Ross and The Supremes were the headliners and could bring whomever they choose to open. The only reason they were making money off this gig was because of Diana and the Supremes. For Berry to say "Your Messing Up My Star Act" meant money was in jeopardy. I say this because I know money was the driving factor.
    I don't understand anything you just wrote!

Everyone please dont feed the protected ones daily negativity.

You can keep trying to foster animosity and acrimony if you want to, it will not gain you anything.

Hi Roberta,
    I have certain people on ignore so I don't have a clue that they even exist until someone copies what they say in their email.

" All We Do Is Win "

Hi Roberta,
    I have certain people on ignore so I don't have a clue that they even exist until someone copies what they say in their email.

" All We Do Is Win "
    Well done Captainjames. The said persons obviously real unhappy and swills negativity and hatred for the most famous Supreme.

Have a lovely evening dear.

Roberta

Alright kids lets play nice.

You have a good evening as well and a bless week to come Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Alright kids lets play nice.
    Ive said all Im going to say.

thamk you.

fondly,

Roberta

Thumbs up

You have a good evening as well and a bless week to come Roberta.
    Thank you my dear I intend to do just that.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Well done Captainjames. The said persons obviously real unhappy and swills negativity and hatred for the most famous Supreme.

Have a lovely evening dear.

Roberta
    You are delusional.

Ive said all Im going to say.

thamk you.

fondly,

Roberta
    Good! Now let the friendly folks have fun communicating.

The only tidbit I can add to this thread is that in early 1967, The Supremes were appearing in the Philadelphia area and Diana Ross was interviewed backstage in the dressing room of the venue, and the interview was then shown on The Hy Lit Show--a local Saturday night dance program. I don't remember all that Ross said but I do recall she had immense praise for Gladys Knight & the Pips, who were The Supremes' opening act. I clearly remember her saying that GK/Ps were a 'fantastic group', had recently signed with Motown, and that they were 'going to be very big'. So, I had been very interested to hear what Gladys now had to say regarding 'the end of the road' of that '67 Supremes/Pips coupling.

Marv,don't fall for it,he can't help it,he will never ignore you,that way,he can keep up drama and mess,and attack you smh,i'v made it a point,not to go there,when it comes to Diana,because when it comes to her,these people take it personal.

well, it couldn't have ended too horribly as I saw the show,and own the soundtrack album to the 1969 Hollywood Palace TV show hosted by DMC and featuring Gladys & The Pips, something Ross could certainly have pulled the plug on by that point in her 'rise' to 'power' if there was bad will between the two; Gladys does not sound all 'warrior' about the whole thing.."WE had to grow up.." says it all, really..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    well, it couldn't have ended too horribly as I saw the show,and own the soundtrack album to the 1969 Hollywood Palace TV show hosted by DMC and featuring Gladys & The Pips, something Ross could certainly have pulled the plug on by that point in her 'rise' to 'power' if there was bad will between the two; Gladys does not sound all 'warrior' about the whole thing.."WE had to grow up.." says it all, really..
    Are you sure it was Gladys Knight and the Pips on that show? I remember the Jackson Five, Sammy Davis Jr. etc......

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Marv,don't fall for it,he can't help it,he will never ignore you,that way,he can keep up drama and mess,and attack you smh,i'v made it a point,not to go there,when it comes to Diana,because when it comes to her,these people take it personal.
    Ok, you're right. She keeps trying to goad me though.

This is true, a lot of these Motown acts were able to go to certain places and appear on certain TV shows because of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Believe it or not they were opening doors that were at one time closed.

This is true, a lot of these Motown acts were able to go to certain places and appear on certain TV shows because of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Believe it or not they were opening doors that were at one time closed.
    Mary Wilson has always said that.

Mary did "Can't Take My Eyes Off You", Willie Tyler & Lester, Jackson 5, Gladys & The Pips and Stevie Wonder

Ok Jimi, now I know what you are referring to. That album was a compilation album of Motown Artists that appeared on the Hollywood Palace and not an actual soundtrack of the program that Diana Ross & the Supremes hosted in October of 1969. Gladys Knight & the Pips did not appear on the show the night the Supremes, Jackson Five [[it was their national debut), Sammy Davis Jr and others appeared. They were on a different episode. We use to watch this show every Sat night growing up.

I think this time Marv is right. [[Ouch, hurts to say that )

The link you provided is simply a compilation album of Motown performances at the Hollywood Palace. It was not one show. Here is info on the show where Mary sang Can't Take My Eyes and Willie Tyler and J-5 were on the show.

Diana Ross & the Supremes [[Mary Wilson & Cindy Birdsong) sing "Where Do I Go?" "Good Morning, Starshine," "Someday We'll Be Together," "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" [[with Mary Wilson singing lead) and "Love Child."
    --The Jackson 5 - "Sing a Simple Song" and "I Want You Back"
    --Sammy Davis Jr. - "You've Made Me So Very Happy"
    --Diana Ross and Sammy Davis Jr. do a song-and-dance tribute to the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie musicals.
    --Alan Sues [[comedian) - sings "Good Times Are Here to Stay" [[with dancers) and appears in a sketch as Diana Ross' butler, photographer and clothing designer.
    --Willie Tyler & Lester [[ventriloquist act)

season 7 episode 2 telecast October 18, 1969

Ooops! I see Marv already answered you Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I think this time Marv is right. [[Ouch, hurts to say that )

The link you provided is simply a compilation album of Motown performances at the Hollywood Palace. It was not one show. Here is info on the show where Mary sang Can't Take My Eyes and Willie Tyler and J-5 were on the show.

Diana Ross & the Supremes [[Mary Wilson & Cindy Birdsong) sing "Where Do I Go?" "Good Morning, Starshine," "Someday We'll Be Together," "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" [[with Mary Wilson singing lead) and "Love Child."
    --The Jackson 5 - "Sing a Simple Song" and "I Want You Back"
    --Sammy Davis Jr. - "You've Made Me So Very Happy"
    --Diana Ross and Sammy Davis Jr. do a song-and-dance tribute to the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie musicals.
    --Alan Sues [[comedian) - sings "Good Times Are Here to Stay" [[with dancers) and appears in a sketch as Diana Ross' butler, photographer and clothing designer.
    --Willie Tyler & Lester [[ventriloquist act)

season 7 episode 2 telecast October 18, 1969

Why do you have to say it like that? It's not about being right for the sake of being right. I did not realize that everything was a contest here. I look at it as more about sharing, learning and enjoying common interests. I could have kept what I know to myself and let Jimi and others go on believing that they were all on the same show. Guess what? Some one may search for, pay for a dvd of that show and come away disappointed that not everyone they thought was included are on there.