[REMOVE ADS]

What ever happen to Ullanda McCullough ? Bad Company

I was just wondering,what ever happen to Ullanda McCullough ? she use to sing background,for Ashford and Simpson,back in the day,Ashford and Simpson even produced her first solo album,the song i remember most,was the single,Bad Company i liked her whole album,i'm i the only one?what do you think ?

Compilation cd released 2014- called "watching you, watching me"

That is a name from the past. Never heard much from her since the 80s.

Thanks Jack020,that's the best way to get info,Ullanda had a great voice.

She is a fine vocalist and last years 2 albums on one cd has been one of my more inspired purchases of the past 12 months or so. Ashford and Simpson did a great job there and I would heartily recommended you check it out.

Man, I loved that self-titled album from '81 with "Bad Company." She was one singing sister.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Man, I loved that self-titled album from '81 with "Bad Company." She was one singing sister.
    Oh yes. She should have been a superstar.

I bought her twofer last month and had never heard of her before. Love her.

Ullanda and "Bad Company"

The thing about Ullanda McCullough album,i loved so much,even tho Ashford and Simpson produced it,you still get the Ullanda McCullough sound,and style,just check out Bad Company.

I love "Bad Company", "Rumours" and "It's You" from that album. A&S knocked it out of the park on that one. The songs were nearly on par with their collaboration with Ross: "The Boss." I also have Ullanda's "Love Zone" LP. She's a great example of an artist with a lovely voice and a pretty face who lacks the presence, charisma and magnetism to be a front-and-center diva. She's fabulous on background support -- and that's it's own art form -- but she was not destined for solo stardom.
    Last edited by Guy; 11-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I love "Bad Company", "Rumours" and "It's You" from that album. A&S knocked it out of the park on that one. The songs were nearly on par with their collaboration with Ross: "The Boss." I also have Ullanda's "Love Zone" LP. She's a great example of an artist with a lovely voice and a pretty face who lacks the presence, charisma and magnetism to be a front-and-center diva. She's fabulous on background support -- and that's it's own art form -- but she was not destined for solo stardom.
    I never saw her live so i cannot comment on stage presence, charisma and magnetism but certainly on record she shone brightly. Perhaps it is sometimes a case of being in the right place at the right time but her albums still stand up well against other artists of the same era, and in many cases much better.

Ullanda McCullough did write a book, the name of it escapes me right now but if you search under authors I am sure you will find it. I did not keep it after I read it I remember giving it to a friend at the time. You should read her story........she was different.

Thanks for the info Captainjames,i'll try to find her book,i'm sure Ullanda has her own life story to tell.

"Warm And Gentle Explosion" and "Love Had Changed My Life" were always my favorites from Ullanda's A&S-produced album. The album sounds great on last year's CD release, too.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Ullanda McCullough did write a book, the name of it escapes me right now but if you search under authors I am sure you will find it. I did not keep it after I read it I remember giving it to a friend at the time. You should read her story........she was different.
    "different"? You have got me intrigued. I know little about the lady except what a fine singer she was so I shall do some digging. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    "different"? You have got me intrigued. I know little about the lady except what a fine singer she was so I shall do some digging. Thank you.
    Bluebrock, I had the opportunity of seeing Ullanda Innocent Palmer sing a few years ago at a church in Harlem during for their evangelistic program. Yolanda is still very humble. Her focus is touching people through her music ministry. She does not sing secular music anymore. When I spoke with her I mentioned the first time I heard her was at the Bottom Line in New York singing background for Patti Austin and was killing it, and it was a live recording and she just laughed and smiled. She is very nice.

www.ullanda.com

I just found Ullanda McCullough 2 album,on 1 cd,i'm in love with her music,all over again,it sounds like she didn't like show business,so she left it,there's nothing wrong with that,i'm happy to still play her music today.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    Bluebrock, I had the opportunity of seeing Ullanda Innocent Palmer sing a few years ago at a church in Harlem during for their evangelistic program. Yolanda is still very humble. Her focus is touching people through her music ministry. She does not sing secular music anymore. When I spoke with her I mentioned the first time I heard her was at the Bottom Line in New York singing background for Patti Austin and was killing it, and it was a live recording and she just laughed and smiled. She is very nice.

www.ullanda.com
    I have that album - Patti Austin live at the bottom line but never really studied the sleevenotes. Interesting stuff.

Ullanda was the 1st Soprano with Marlene and Jackie of the Andantes in the mid 70's after Louvaine went to Atlanta. I think they recorded some background vocal for Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is a name from the past. Never heard much from her since the 80s.
    Ullanda and her husband have a ministry together. She sang at my church a couple of years ago.

http://www.ullanda.com/ullanda.htm

I have Ullanda's 1979 album Love Zone for her fantastic cover of Honey Cone's "Want Ads"... I should check out the other tracks and her other albums!