[REMOVE ADS]

"Nightflight" Tue Nov 24, 9P-12M ET: Invictus/Hot Wax Finale!

Join me tonight, Folks, for part 2 of a tribute to Invictus/Hot Wax records. The artists you know...Freda Payne, Honeycone, Chairmen of the Board, and so many more ... their hits are classic....and the music is some of the most beautiful to come out of Detroit! Background vocal angels again are Pam and Joyce Vincent and Telma Hopkins...whom I have featured for the last 3 weeks! So do join me tonight on "Nightflight"...
    on WOMR 92.1 Fm Provincetown and webcasting live worldwide at www.womr.org See you on the radio! Thanks! John
    Name:  Freda_006.jpg
Views: 5575
Size:  16.6 KB
    Name:  Freda_010.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  15.4 KB
    Name:  tumblr_n6bc3lVuBd1rk272vo1_1280.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  49.8 KB

John, can't wait... love your show as always.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    John, can't wait... love your show as always.
    Thanks, Brent!!! Glad you'll be listening!

I'm very excited that Pam Vincent will be listening tonight!!
    Name:  cce7d4e41efe5c24a93df0703fd4bc4c.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  39.8 KB

.....................Name:  HONEYC-NICE4.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  37.9 KB................

So glad to be here and listening, John! And what a great way to kick this evening, with Dionne!
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 11-24-2015 at 10:08 PM.

I wondered who Pam and Joyce Vincent and Telma Hopkins were, and then it dawned upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I wondered who Pam and Joyce Vincent and Telma Hopkins were, and then it dawned upon me.
    Good one, Martin!!! Howdy there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    So glad to be here and listening, John! And what a great way to kick this evening, with Dionne!
    My friend....the pleasure of your company is all mine!!

Hey John, am again looking forward to tonite's show.

My requests for songs are:
    • Bring The Boys Home by Freda Payne
    • The Day I Found Myself by Honey Cone
    • You've Got Me Dangling On A String by Chairmen of the Board

John, I had the pleasure last Wednesday of going to the event at Amoeba Music in Hollywood with Mary Wilson, Freda Payne & Linda Clifford with some surprises in the audience. Mary Wilson had to protect her voice because of performing the following afternoon for Hilary Clinton in San Francisco, so didn't sing as much as the rest. She was still wonderful.

Freda Payne is the one though that blew me away. Had never seen her live prior to this and the numbers that she did were outstanding. I was in the 2nd row on the aisle and security ended up bringing a whole entourage down front just prior to Freda starting her portion of the show. My mouth fell open when i saw standing practically next to me were Scherrie Payne, Joyce Vincent Wilson and many other friends. Freda's opening number was Bring The Boys Home and with that Scherrie, Joyce & company were are all signing the backgrounds live from the audience while listening to Freda since the lead from up on stage. It was truly a magical moment. Freda closed her potion of the show with, of course, Band of Gold and introduced Scherrie and Joyce from the stage.

Also in attendance were Gloria Hendry, the James Bond Girl, Mary's daughter and granddaughter among other people from Mary's record company and management of the 3 Divas. I even ran into all 3 Divas strutting around the store doing their own music shopping in the hour prior to the event. Freda exclaimed that it was her 1st time there, but would not be her last. Linda Clifford said it's always the 1st place she goes when she flies in from Chicago. Mary said that she's there frequently as well. It's an interesting place and you never know who'll you run in to.

After their performances, we were then treated to the Meet & Greet and Autograph signings. It was truly a much bigger event that i thought it would be and a fun almost 3 hours to spend the evening.

greg jones
    los angeles, ca

No John, i didn't mind you reading the review of the show.

Sorry, that was supposed to be "sing" the leads, not since. Darn auto-correct.

P.S Found out from Mary's producer that she's finished about 4 more songs and they are searching for more to complete an album for 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post

P.S Found out from Mary's producer that she's finished about 4 more songs and they are searching for more to complete an album for 2016.
    BTW....talked to ANdy

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post

P.S Found out from Mary's producer that she'sinished about 4 more songs and they are searching for more to complete an album for 2016.
    hi john im late but here since this is t invic hot wax final,show c u play a lttle more from honey cons soulfil tapesrtry album or pay to t piper by chairmen of bd. Also what is t number to make another donation. Also did honeycone ever have pam or joyce do thr bacgrounds

Hi John...loving the song selection tonight...I need to get my CDs and get some Invictus onto my iPod soon

Would enjoy some Laura Lee selections if you didn't play any of these last week:
    [[If You Want To Try Love Again) Remember Me, or
    I Need It Just As Bad As You and/or
    Don't Leave Me Starving For Your Love [[or the version by HDH)

By HDH I also like
    Hijackin
    New Breed Kinda Woman
    I'm So Glad

Thanks abunch for t ans. How about a song called a lttle more by honeycone if not im enjoying thr show t other motown by hdh and more

Hey Johnny,
    You mentioned McKinley Jackson. McKinley was the arranger and musician on the 2 HDH produced albums for Donny & Marie Osmond … Donald Clark Osmond and Winning Combination. They are great HDH productions and were much underrated upon their 1977 release. Winning Combination was finally issued on CD by Cherry Red in the UK. Donald Clark Osmond still have not come out as Universal UK keeps declining. Andy is looking into why it is being declined for re-release but hasn't found out anything. Donny recorded a jazz/Al Green style arrangement of Baby Love on his latest album and talked about his fond memories of working with HDH.

Here's the info on those 2 albums:
    Donald Clark Osmond
    http://osmondmania.com/Discography2/...arkOsmond.html
    Winning Combination
    http://osmondmania.com/Discography2/...mbination.html

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    hi john im late but here since this is t invic hot wax final,show c u play a lttle more from honey cons soulfil tapesrtry album or pay to t piper by chairmen of bd. Also what is t number to make another donation. Also did honeycone ever have pam or joyce do thr bacgrounds
    Franjoy...glad you made it!!!! Thank you for offering another pledge. I appreciate that!

you can call me if you'd like or call in the morning? Thank you, Franjoy...that's very sweet!!!....1-800-921-9667.

John, there is currently a LOT of buzz all over the net in regards to Patti Labelle's Sweet Potato Pie that are selling like crazy in the U.S. Of course haven't been able to sample one of these living in Canada, but I'll get an American pal buy one and freeze it for me to give my critique. What I DO know about Sweet Potato Pies is that Telma Hopkins has a mighty fine recipe for her version of this southern favourite dessert. Many years back when TV Guide was still publishing, they had a Celebrity Favourite Dish column each week, and on one occasion Telma graced readers by sharing her family recipe for Sweet Potato Pie. I saved that clipping all these years and use it on a regular basis. I'm willing to bet it can of toe to toe with Patti's and day. I you have a way to contact Telma, please tell her I admire her singing and her cuisine skills!

Do you have Brenda Holloway's "Some Quiet Place" with you?

Do you have Brenda Holloway's "Some Quiet Place" with you?
    YUP
    will play for you!

Not looking for all my suggestions just one of your choosing would be nice.

Which songs don't you know?

btw loved that Dionne song you played at the beginning of the program. Didn't know I had it, nice surprise for me.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 11-24-2015 at 11:53 PM.

The Invictus/ Hot Wax box set includes the previously unreleased Eloise Laws version of "Don't Burn the Bridge". I think it's my favourite song on the Dionne Warwick album.
    Last edited by 144man; 11-25-2015 at 12:01 AM.

The Invictus/ Hot Wax box set includes the previously unreleased Eloise Laws version of "Don't Burn the Bridge". I think it's my favourite song on the Dionne Warwick album.
    So gorgeous I could die. I like a lot of the Eloise Laws element...but Dionne's...magnificent

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    John, there is currently a LOT of buzz all over the net in regards to Patti Labelle's Sweet Potato Pie that are selling like crazy in the U.S. Of course haven't been able to sample one of these living in Canada, but I'll get an American pal buy one and freeze it for me to give my critique. What I DO know about Sweet Potato Pies is that Telma Hopkins has a mighty fine recipe for her version of this southern favourite dessert. Many years back when TV Guide was still publishing, they had a Celebrity Favourite Dish column each week, and on one occasion Telma graced readers by sharing her family recipe for Sweet Potato Pie. I saved that clipping all these years and use it on a regular basis. I'm willing to bet it can of toe to toe with Patti's and day. I you have a way to contact Telma, please tell her I admire her singing and her cuisine skills!
    I wish I could find Telma....thanks for the Pie stuff!!!

Thanks for playing "Some Quiet Place". I only had a one-sided copy of "Let Love Grow" and it's only in the last few years I managed to hear what I consider to be the superior side.

Thanks for playing "Some Quiet Place". I only had a one-sided copy of "Let Love Grow" and it's only in the last few years I managed to hear what I consider to be the superior side.
    A pleasure, Martin!

Don't the lyrics of "I'm Gonna Hijack You..." cross a line?

don't the lyrics of "i'm gonna hijack you..." cross a line?
    totally!!!

John, you made me laugh out loud with the "shower" comment.

Yes, I agree about the lyrics but the song is so good. Loved it back in the day, still do, I guess. My CD has the song title as Hijackin' 6:53. However, the song was released as a two-sided Invictus single with original title "I'm Gonna Hijack Ya, Kidnap Ya, Take What I Want". So you see they cleaned-up the title for the CD! The booklet notes make no mention of the title change.

Laura Lee's "Remember Me" was released as a Hot Wax single and then as an Invictus Single. Her Invictus album included the 3 songs I mentioned in my previous post.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 11-25-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    totally!!!
    i WON'T be playing Flaming Ember's "Heart On [[Loving You)"!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    John, you made me laugh out loud with the "shower" comment.

Yes, I agree about the lyrics but the song is so good. Loved it back in the day, still do, I guess. My CD has the song title as Hijackin' 6:53. However, the song was released as a two-sided Invictus single with original title "Hijack Ya, Kidnap Ya, Take What I Want". So you see they cleaned-up the title for the CD! The booklet notes make no mention of the title change.

Laura Lee's "Remember Me" was released as a Hot Wax single and then as an Invictus Single. Her Invictus album included the 3 songs I mentioned in my previous post.
    Heh Heh heh..... see the post just above,,,,

When Scherrie Payne autographed my copy of the Glass House album, she crossed out the Holland and Dozier composer credits to "Horse and Rider".

When Scherrie Payne autographed my copy of the Glass House album, she crossed out the Holland and Dozier composer credits to "Horse and Rider".
    GOOD for HER! She told me about their not giving her the credit she deserved!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    GOOD for HER! She told me about their not giving her the credit she deserved!
    She was credited, but she said she wrote it alone.

Great show...and plenty of good material left for part three if and when you feel like it.

Great show...and plenty of good material left for part three if and when you feel like it.
    . Thanks, Martin. Yeah...LOTS more material!

The instrumental stereo version that you played of "Everything Good Is Bad" sounded incredible over headphones.

The instrumental stereo version that you played of "Everything Good Is Bad" sounded incredible over headphones.
    It's really a terrific piece...vocal or instrumental!