[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Phil Spector

Phil Spector

I know there are a few of his fans on here.

Have you guys heard or seen these?

Fab shots of London in this clip.

Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 11-22-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Thank you for these clips. They were interesting.
    I'm glad Phil didn't put these records out with his vocals on them.
    I'll Never Need More Than This has been a big favourite of mine for almost 50 years now.

Best regards
    Heikki

Oh my goodness these are amazing. As obsessive as I am over Phil Spector records, this is a goldmine.

That "Lucy in London" is the most fascinating and strangest thing I've heard in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Thank you for these clips. They were interesting.
    I'm glad Phil didn't put these records out with his vocals on them.
    I'll Never Need More Than This has been a big favourite of mine for almost 50 years now.

Best regards
    Heikki
    I thought Lucy In London was pretty good.

I love this track.

Carole King's demo

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Carole King's demo
    Just Once In My Life... among my all-time faves.

More goodies, thank you "theboyfromxtown".

I especially liked the Righteous Brothers' "Girl." Also this time Phil sings okay on "Down At TJ's", or is it because his voice is drowned by that full-blown orchestration .-) ?

Soulwally, I also prefer "Just Once In My Life" to "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'".

Best regards
    Heikki

Play "Girl" by the Righteous Brothers and then this one

Love it!! "Down At TJ's " was a TV special, but other then Phil doing the title song, I don't remember anything about it. "Lucy In London" must have been a TV special too.Phil was so cool, too bad he didn't treat his artists right.The Crystals & The Ronettes were the only real competition the Motown girls had in '62 & '63 on record & on stage.

Fabulous treasure trove - especially Lucy. Thanks John!

Glad you guys are enjoying these.

Nice to see the Dave Clark 5 and Twiggy too.

I've never seen these before. Thank you, John.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I've never seen these before. Thank you, John.
    Both Down at P.J.'s and Lucy in London were TV specials. Down at P.J.'s was hosted by Sal Mineo and Phil also spoke in this special which I think was pretty much on the music scene at a place called P.J.'s on Sunset Blvd. I do remember Phil speaking and then a street scene where he and his first wife, Annette, get out of a limo and run into the Dave Clark 5. I remember it was in black & white and done before Lucy in London. Thanks for sharing as I haven't heard these in so many years.

I haven't seen this since the Saturday it aired on TV. I love the song, better to me than River Deep. I also have heard there is a version of this song that was done by the Ronettes, but not sure. Listen to the backups, however, as it does sound like Nedra and Estelle on top of the voices.

The above post is in reference to Tina Turner on American Bandstand performing I'll Never Need More Than This.

Great clip I have never seen this, thanks for sharing. I believe this is the only time she performed this on TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

Thanks for the neat Phil Spector thread, boyfromxtown, and to everyone who posted. Some of the above I was already familiar with, and some were new to me. Here are a couple of additional tidbits that you may or may not have seen or heard before:

PHIL SPECTOR & THE WRECKING CREW: "Things Are Changing" Instrumental Backing Track as later recorded by Darlene Love & The Blossoms, Diana Ross & The Supremes, and Jay & The Americans. [[BTW, if you listen closely with headphones, as the track is fading out, you can hear Diana Ross' voice enter with the word "Girls...":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_S8XNtCZY

PHIL SPECTOR & THE WRECKING CREW - Unknown Backing Track. Sounds good! Makes ya wonder which of the remaining Philles artists Phil had intended this track for. LaLa Brooks & The Crystals were already dropped from the Philles roster by 1965. That would have left The Ronettes, possibly Darlene Love, and The Righteous Brothers, unless Phil was saving it for Tina. Here's the track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf53KTNwCHA

BTW, "Lucy In London" is available on DVD, included in "The Lucy Show" [[Season 5), as shown in this Amazon [[U.S.) link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucy-Show-Offi...w+season+5+dvd

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  21.1 KB
    Mark Linett 1 year ago :
    This is an unreleased track titled "I Love My Chico" by Bonnie and the Treasures from the same session that produced "Close Your Eyes". Vocals were recorded but the song remains unreleased. 

Hey, thanks for filling me in, Robb, and also to Mark Linett from a year ago. I would sure love to.hear Bonnie & The Treasures' vocals with this track. When it comes to Philles-era Phil Spector, anything could turn up one day -- even Darlene's version of "Da Doo Ron Ron" and Ronnie's "Love Me Like You're Gonna Lose Me". As with Motown, NEVER say never! There's always hope.

In regard to the Crystals...they were not "dropped" from the Philles roster, they left. They still had another three or four years on the contract, but wanted to get away from Phil. Their management handled it and had them signed to United Artists in '65.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    In regard to the Crystals...they were not "dropped" from the Philles roster, they left. They still had another three or four years on the contract, but wanted to get away from Phil. Their management handled it and had them signed to United Artists in '65.
    I wasn't aware of that. The books all say that Phil washed his hands of The Crystals because of their complaints that each record was becoming louder and murkier -- burying their vocals farther and farther in the mix. [[Plus, Phil supposedly resented DeeDee because he couldn't "break" her. She stood up to him, as Martha did with Berry.) Based on that, I naturally assumed that he dropped them from Philles -- especially when I found out they had signed with United Artists. For whatever reason they left, it broke my heart, as LaLa Brooks' Philles recordings were -- and still are -- just as important to me as Ronnie's and Darlene's. It was like a big part of Philles died when The Crystals left.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-09-2015 at 09:49 PM.

A lot of speculation is written in books, especially about why Darlene Love sang "He's A Rebel". According to Dee Dee they held out on recording with Phil because he hadn't paid them. They had no clue he could or would release a record they didn't record under their name. Back then no one was lawsuit crazy or had an attorney, but they probably could've stopped it or done something, but that is now speculation too. When you'd get a hit you didn't want to change the sound so that's why Darlene also did the follow-up "He's Sure The Boy I Love". They mainly left because he wasn't paying royalties, but back then all recording costs were charged against the artists' royalties and you can imagine what Phil spent in the studio, which would probably be why they didn't receive much in royalties. Sadly, after the Christmas lp, none of the artists featured ever had a hit with the exception of the Ronettes. Bob B. Soxx never even had another release. The Crystals two singles issued, "Little Boy" and "All Grown Up", barely charted. It took them awhile to get out from his contract and he may have knew they were trying to leave and didn't promote the records.