[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Should Release,The Lost Album,by Ashford and Simpson

I'v often wonder why,Motown never released the Ashford and Simpson album,like what songs did they record for the album,did they do remake's,like they're classic's Ain't No Mountain High Enough,You're All I Need To Get By,Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing,Shoe Shoe Shine,or even I'm A Winner,Tear It On Down,Remember Me,this is a album i'd love to buy,anyone have a list of song,that Ashford and Simpson recorded for the album ?what do you think?

Yeah. I would love to see some releases on other artists that recorded for Motown than just the same few they keep releasing over and over. Ashford and Simpson were a great team. I saw them in concert a couple of times.

I agree Marv,maybe Martha and The Vandellas,The Four Tops,Thelma Huston,even Stevie Wonder.again i'd love to get the Ashford and Simpson lost album,on cd.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I agree Marv,maybe Martha and The Vandellas,The Four Tops,Thelma Huston,even Stevie Wonder.again i'd love to get the Ashford and Simpson lost album,on cd.
    There are so many Motown fans that are not getting served! Not only that, the other artists do not get shot at making any money from these reissues.

Could it be that many of these ideas are being voted down by the powers that be due to the whining and threats of those who demand that such releases are in a cd format, not merely a digital download? Many of us are from the "album" and "cd" days and are the ones who are requesting this music from back in the days to be released. I believe we can state our opinions as to what format we would like to have, however, it comes across as childish or stubborn to say, "I'll not download any music. Give me a cd or don't give me anything at all." I am thankful for any of the old music I can get because I actually listen to it rather than store it in some drawer with the cellophane still wrapped around it.

I can't imagine,Motown without Ashford and Simpson,when you think of all the hits,they wrote for them,When i listen to The Boss album,i feel they could have recorded that album themselves.it's really the Ashford and Simpson sound,don't get me wrong,i love what Diana did with it,i think it's Diana at her best,that's why Motown should release,the lost Ashford and Simpson album.i'd like to see what kind of sound,they had,at that time,i don't even think,they were called Ashford and Simpson,at that time.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 11-18-2015 at 12:22 AM.

I can't imagine,Motown without Ashford and Simpson,when you think of all the hits,they wrote for them,When i listen to The Boss album,i feel they could have recorded that album.it's really the Ashford and Simpson sound,don't get me wrong,i love what Diana did with it,i think it's Diana at her best,that's why Motown should release,the lost Ashford and Simpson album.i'd like to see what kind of sound,they had,at that time,i don't even think,they were called Ashford and Simpson,at that time.
    They could have recorded it themselves and it would have been a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They could have recorded it themselves and it would have been a hit.
    Maybe but unlike some people Nick and Val loved working with Diana and it shows via the quality of the material on their collaberations.

Nick & Val were the ones who blocked the release which was going to be one of Hip-O's first!

From Motown Treasures

ASHFORD & SIMPSON - 'Nick & Val'

Unreleased Tamla LP, recorded and scheduled for release 1972.

Side A

1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Intro)

2. Your Precious Love

3. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Interlude)

4. Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing

5. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Interlude 2)

6. Oh Love Don't Make Me

7. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Outro)

Side B

8. You're All I Need To Get By [[Intro)

9. Remember Me

10. You're All I Need To Get By [[Interlude)

11. If You Don't Love Me [[One Day You Will)

12. Isn't Love Supposed To Be Like This

13. You're All I Need To Get By [[Interlude 2)

14. Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)

It's such a pity that they keep on blocking it's release. It was going to be one of the first Hip-O releases over six years ago. I'm sure that it would both be excellent and a top seller too.

If it's not released by the end of 2022 [[!), it will go into the the public domain in the EU. Then anyone could release it - providing that they can somehow get access to it. Has it ever leaked out of the vault and shown up as a bootleg?

Why wasn't it released in 1972?
    Last edited by calvin; 11-18-2015 at 03:23 PM.

My only memory of it is that it's a really short album.

Thanks Copley,for the list,again i'd like to know,what the Ashford and Simpson sound,was like in 72,i'm sure i'm not the only one.

I've never heard any of the tracks. Val's demo of 'Remember Me' which escaped sometime ago on 'Surrender Expanded Edition' is not the version that is on this album. So unless it slides under the vault doors or Val gives her permission I don't think that we will ever hear it

When Ashford and Simpson did The Boss,in they're live shows,i was sold,it could have been a hit on them,as well.

When Ashford and Simpson did The Boss,in they're live shows,i was sold,it could have been a hit on them,as well.
    I saw them do that song too. They did it with a lot soul and the high notes......fugettaboutit! Val and Nick hit them with ease. They sounded just like the record strangely...............hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I saw them do that song too. They did it with a lot soul and the high notes......fugettaboutit! Val and Nick hit them with ease. They sounded just like the record strangely...............hmmmmmm.
    Now now. Stop trying to stoke up trouble.

RossHolloway Guest
    Some have suggested that it was shelved because Valerie was still sounding too much like TT.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Some have suggested that it was shelved because Valerie was still sounding too much like TT.
    I have heard this too, and it could well be the reason.

I've been biting at the bit to comment, but due to a login in issue have been shut out. Now that Im back in, I need to point this out. Yes, we ALL want to hear Ashford and Simpson perform their iconic songs, but there is a good reason why that won't happen. Valerie Simpson has stated VERY emphatically in a previous interview that Nick Ashford was not as accomplished singer as he would become later. Their Motown work was meant to be "guide vocals" and she is very strongly apposed to releasing ANY of this material in his memory. I am somewhat surprised that this sentiment is not more were known on this site. She has the last say evidently, and as much as we will rant and rave about this, we must respect her decision, as it is final. If I come across the interview I will share, but if memory serves me right, it was released at the time of her most recent solo recording some two years ago.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I've been biting at the bit to comment, but due to a login in issue have been shut out. Now that Im back in, I need to point this out. Yes, we ALL want to hear Ashford and Simpson perform their iconic songs, but there is a good reason why that won't happen. Valerie Simpson has stated VERY emphatically in a previous interview that Nick Ashford was not as accomplished singer as he would become later. Their Motown work was meant to be "guide vocals" and she is very strongly apposed to releasing ANY of this material in his memory. I am somewhat surprised that this sentiment is not more were known on this site. She has the last say evidently, and as much as we will rant and rave about this, we must respect her decision, as it is final. If I come across the interview I will share, but if memory serves me right, it was released at the time of her most recent solo recording some two years ago.
    Valerie Simpson has also stated in the past that she is not on any of the Marvin & Tammi recordings... So there's that...

Thanks Mark Desjardines,for your info,on Ashford and Simpson.I knew it,had to be more to the story,it sounds like the lost album,by Ashford and Simpson,will never be released.if this is true,i get it.

I just find it interesting that when I put my MG/TT Complete Duets [[2nd disc) in the computer, most of the songs are already credited to MG & Valerie Simpson!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I just find it interesting that when I put my MG/TT Complete Duets [[2nd disc) in the computer, most of the songs are already credited to MG & Valerie Simpson!
    ....... But does it say the same thing on the digital download? Tee hee ......

Nick died in 2011. When I met HW in NYC in 2004 it had already been blocked so his death has changed nothing.

Oh, don't be like that, Carole ...

I guess we'll have to wait until Valerie herself has passed on before we get this release. In which case, I rather have Valerie with us and no album!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I f this were really the case, I don't think any of Val's solo lps either. Especially with her rendition of "Love Woke me Up This Morning"

I don't care what Valerie says,that her singing with Marv,on the Easy album,i still love the album.

I don't care what Valerie says,that her singing with Marv,on the Easy album,i still love the album.
    It was a nice album. I bumped into her in the aisle of an airplane as we were waiting to be seated. I said "Val?"! She said "no, I am not her.... people think that all the time." LOL!

Mae West said the same thing when she was out at Santa Monica Beach at her lovely Art Deco Home there, "taking the air" as she it put. Fans who recognized her and her companion, Paul Novak would approach her and ask, "Aren't you Mae West." "On no, dear, I'm her sister, Beverly!" LOL!

I won't give up on the Motown lost Ashford and Simpson album,love they're work

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Mae West said the same thing when she was out at Santa Monica Beach at her lovely Art Deco Home there, "taking the air" as she it put. Fans who recognized her and her companion, Paul Novak would approach her and ask, "Aren't you Mae West." "On no, dear, I'm her sister, Beverly!" LOL!
    Isn't it funny because Val did everything but wink at me afterwards. She smile to let me know that it really was her, but she did not want to be bothered with a plane of full folks staring at her at the minimum. LOL! Love Val Simpson.

My friend ran into her and Nick at their club and my friend went kind of cuckoo about meeting them but they were very nice.

I met them many times,they were always very nice to me too Luke,just great people

I am certain you are correct there Redhot.

Sometimes I'd rather have my fantasies about how the LP was / will sound, and not actually know or hear it, just in case I'm disappointed. The track listing - if it is correct - posted above doesn't really appeal to me. However, the track 'Remember me' that was issued really was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Sometimes I'd rather have my fantasies about how the LP was / will sound, and not actually know or hear it, just in case I'm disappointed. The track listing - if it is correct - posted above doesn't really appeal to me. However, the track 'Remember me' that was issued really was outstanding.
    I think we have to accept we will not see this album during Val's lifetime, and if that's the way she wants it then I respect her decision. Val was always a stronger vocalist than Nick but together they created magic and we are fortunate to have most of their albums released as expanded editions.