[REMOVE ADS]

Chante' moore unsung full episode

I always thought this lady should have been a far bigger star. She had a good voice, was drop dead gorgeous, and had some fine songs to sing. What more could you possibly want?

Her episode was ok. I love Chante Moore but it seemed like watching a soap opera. They did their best to make her story controversial with the rape and all the marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Her episode was ok. I love Chante Moore but it seemed like watching a soap opera. They did their best to make her story controversial with the rape and all the marriages.
    I am not at all interested in all the gossip and scandal. Leave that to the tabloids. I am interested in the music. I don't think I shall even bother with this one.

They did a nice job on the show but they did leave out a few things I felt could have added dimension to the music side. No mention of her appearance on the Waiting To Exhale Soundtrack with Wey U, which is probably how a lot of casual listeners would remember Chante outside of R&B circles. They also left out the tale of how Diddy heard Chante's "If I Gave Love" from Rodney Jerkins and loved it so much much that he demanded it for Jennifer Lopez. When Rodney refused he created a copycat track, If You Had My Love, plagerizing himself that launched J-Lo's music career and cut Chante out of her big crossover single.

I do agree with the sentiment in the episode that the lack of an R&B promotional department at MCA effectively hastened her demise at radio. All the pop pandering on the last two sets didn't help - see Straight Up. I also think they blew it when they put out Bitter as a single. Even with mixing out the N word, Billboard and radio programmers slammed her and the label for releasing it. All these things combined proved to be her downfall which is a shame because Chante is a real powerhouse vocalist who, when provided the right material like she was on the first two Silas sets, really shines.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    They did a nice job on the show but they did leave out a few things I felt could have added dimension to the music side. No mention of her appearance on the Waiting To Exhale Soundtrack with Wey U, which is probably how a lot of casual listeners would remember Chante outside of R&B circles. They also left out the tale of how Diddy heard Chante's "If I Gave Love" from Rodney Jerkins and loved it so much much that he demanded it for Jennifer Lopez. When Rodney refused he created a copycat track, If You Had My Love, plagerizing himself that launched J-Lo's music career and cut Chante out of her big crossover single.

I do agree with the sentiment in the episode that the lack of an R&B promotional department at MCA effectively hastened her demise at radio. All the pop pandering on the last two sets didn't help - see Straight Up. I also think they blew it when they put out Bitter as a single. Even with mixing out the N word, Billboard and radio programmers slammed her and the label for releasing it. All these things combined proved to be her downfall which is a shame because Chante is a real powerhouse vocalist who, when provided the right material like she was on the first two Silas sets, really shines.
    I loved her first couple of albums and really thought she was set for superstardom but it wasn't to be. I didn't know about all the personal crap and I am not interested in knowing now but I shall dig my cds out and appreciate this special vocal talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post

Excellent observations, Glenpwood. I agree that Unsung didn't focus enough on her music or the trajectory of her career. Often watching "Unsung" I believe that the featured artists probably reached their legitimate commercial potential. For instance, I don't think Miki Howard, Me'lisa Morgan, Kashif or Cherrelle [[all wonderful) could have been bigger stars than they were, so they aren't really "unsung." However, Chante Moore had a distinctive vocal talent, a beautiful face, great music and HUGE commercial potential. She is the most 'unsung' artist the series has chronicled in a long while but we got no info on why her career stalled. I was, and am, confounded by her failure to rise to the commercial stature of a Toni Braxton or Mary J. Blige. There is so much more to her story.