[REMOVE ADS]

Who Are the Real Kick A** Soul Singers of Today?

By that I mean who if anyone can be considered a soul singer [[in this case male singers) that performed with the soulfulness, gusto and hipness of Wilson Pickett, David Ruffin, Marvin Junior, Teddy Pendergrass, Dennis Edwards, Joe Tex , Johnny Taylor Marvin Gaye, etc.

You follow me? Are there any guy singers on the scene today that could someday be included in this group of fantastic male singers?

I'd like to know too! I like gruffy, powerful soul singing. I can take smoother singing bits at a time, but it just doesn't do much for me. If it weren't for the counter punch of Philippe Wayne of the Spinners, for example, I couldn't listen to them. If Marvin gaye didn't show off his gruffer side to his softer side, I wouldn't care for him, either. It goes without saying that the "I Want You" album isn't my favorite.

Hi!

There are still many around, but unfortunately media-wise they're mostly ignored.
    Among active ones, I could name
    - Lee Fields
    - Theo Huff
    - Willie Clayton
    - David Hudson
    - Wee Willie Walker
    - Frank Bey
    - Otis Clay
    - Latimore
    - Eddie Levert
    - L.J. Reynolds

and among the ladies
    - Candi Staton
    - Toni Green
    - Chick Rodgers
    - Ruby Turner

I'm sure I've forgotten many...

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

There are still many around, but unfortunately media-wise they're mostly ignored.
    - Lee Fields
    - Theo Huff
    - Willie Clayton
    - David Hudson
    - Wee Willie Walker
    - Frank Bey
    - Otis Clay
    - Latimore
    - Eddie Levert
    - L.J. Reynolds

and among the ladies
    - Candi Staton
    - Toni Green
    - Chick Rodgers
    - Ruby Turner

Best regards
    Heikki
    Great artists all of them but I think Marv was asking about up and coming artists rather than veteran established acts. There does seem to be a dire shortage of this type of vocalist. These artists must have surely influenced four generations so where the hell are their successors?

Hi!

- Lee Fields
    - Theo Huff
    - Willie Clayton
    - David Hudson
    - Wee Willie Walker
    - Frank Bey
    - Otis Clay
    - Latimore
    - Eddie Levert
    - L.J. Reynolds

and among the ladies
    - Candi Staton
    - Toni Green
    - Chick Rodgers
    - Ruby Turner

Best regards
    Heikki
    Heikki.......big thanks! I just saw Eddie Levert and he still got it! LJ Reynolds is a long time favorite. Saw him last about 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Great artists all of them but I think Marv was asking about up and coming artists rather than veteran established acts. There does seem to be a dire shortage of this type of vocalist. These artists must have surely influenced four generations so where the hell are their successors?
    I don't think there are many young and upcoming "soul shouters" out there these days. I saw part of the program "Empire" last night and it made me think, why are all these guys trying to sound alike. Even John Legend is too laid back.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't think there are many young and upcoming "soul shouters" out there these days. I saw part of the program "Empire" last night and it made me think, why are all these guys trying to sound alike. Even John Legend is too laid back.
    Agreed. Maybe that particular raw organic sound is not currently in vogue. Tastes and trends change but I would have thought there would always be a limited but loyal audience for this genre. I think John Legend is a genuine talent but he doesn't make me sit up in awe of his voice in the way some of the previously mentioned icons did.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Agreed. Maybe that particular raw organic sound is not currently in vogue. Tastes and trends change but I would have thought there would always be a limited but loyal audience for this genre. I think John Legend is a genuine talent but he doesn't make me sit up in awe of his voice in the way some of the previously mentioned icons did.
    I just think there are many authentic talents out there today. I don't think they can handle it! The energy, power and talent it takes to be a "Soul Man" LOL!

thomas96 Guest
    Bobby Taylor still cooking

Hi Bluerock!

Sorry, my mistake. I wasn't attentive enough.
    In that case, only Theo Huff qualifies on that list :-).

Best regards
    Heikki

I think many of them are following the money and the money leads to uptempo, overly produced pop/hip hop crossover songs than traditional soul records. I don't listen much to 'modern' radio but I don't hear much from anyone who could be called 'soul' when I do. I think Joe is still out there and he's terribly underrated. There's also Kem, Maxwell, and a few others who may be [[as stated about John Legend) too smooth for what y'all are talking about.

If there aren't many left, they fell off pretty quick in the last few years. The '90s had D'Angelo, Jodeci, Joe, Maxwell, Levert, and quite a few others. I'd suggest that the best of them are in local clubs, like a lot of the greatest jazz talent, doing what they do in obscurity because they aren't pretty enough or smooth enough for mainstream labels to invest in. Hopefully soulster will add to this thread; in my opinion, he is the poster who's most attuned to modern music and I'll bet he knows a few names that fit.

By the way, many of the best 'soul' voices are probably singing gospel these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I think many of them are following the money and the money leads to uptempo, overly produced pop/hip hop crossover songs than traditional soul records. I don't listen much to 'modern' radio but I don't hear much from anyone who could be called 'soul' when I do. I think Joe is still out there and he's terribly underrated. There's also Kem, Maxwell, and a few others who may be [[as stated about John Legend) too smooth for what y'all are talking about.

If there aren't many left, they fell off pretty quick in the last few years. The '90s had D'Angelo, Jodeci, Joe, Maxwell, Levert, and quite a few others. I'd suggest that the best of them are in local clubs, like a lot of the greatest jazz talent, doing what they do in obscurity because they aren't pretty enough or smooth enough for mainstream labels to invest in. Hopefully soulster will add to this thread; in my opinion, he is the poster who's most attuned to modern music and I'll bet he knows a few names that fit.

By the way, many of the best 'soul' voices are probably singing gospel these days.
    Jerry, I love Joe's music but he is now in our age range LOL! He's been out for more than 20 years. I was thinking Be Be and Marvin Winans, but they are primarily Gospel vocalist. I do agree with you on your other points though.

Gerald Levert certainly fit the bill as a true soul man.

Jerry, I love Joe's music but he is now in our age range LOL! He's been out for more than 20 years. I was thinking Be Be and Marvin Winans, but they are primarily Gospel vocalist. I do agree with you on your other points though.
    LOL. I only brought him up because he toured earlier this year. When I think about soul singers, I think about vocal talents of all of the Winans, John Kee, and Fred Hammond. Beyond that, Robin Thicke comes to mind but perhaps he's too obvious and has been singing for too long for us to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    LOL. I only brought him up because he toured earlier this year. When I think about soul singers, I think about vocal talents of all of the Winans, John Kee, and Fred Hammond. Beyond that, Robin Thicke comes to mind but perhaps he's too obvious and has been singing for too long for us to consider.
    Robin Thicke? Really? I mean really? You consider him a soul shouter?

Nah. I just reread the original post and reminded myself of what was being sought. There aren't too many Wilson Picketts or Solomon Burkes left out there. I honestly miss K-ci and JoJo Hailey from Jodeci more than I think most people do. Those brothers brought it on almost every record.

[QUOTE=marv2;306276]By that I mean who if anyone can be considered a soul singer [[in this case male singers) that performed with the soulfulness, gusto and hipness of Wilson Pickett, David Ruffin, Marvin Junior, Teddy Pendergrass, Dennis Edwards, Joe Tex , Johnny Taylor Marvin Gaye, etc.ave

I hear these type of singers in church all the time. All the crooners you mentioned started singing in the church I guess a lot these young singers have not made that move yet but they do exist.

[QUOTE=nysister;306416]
    By that I mean who if anyone can be considered a soul singer [[in this case male singers) that performed with the soulfulness, gusto and hipness of Wilson Pickett, David Ruffin, Marvin Junior, Teddy Pendergrass, Dennis Edwards, Joe Tex , Johnny Taylor Marvin Gaye, etc.ave

I hear these type of singers in church all the time. All the crooners you mentioned started singing in the church I guess a lot these young singers have not made that move yet but they do exist.
    Great and thank you Sister. Well I hope they make the move. I kind of get tired of all of this bland "music" out there today.

[QUOTE=nysister;306416]
    By that I mean who if anyone can be considered a soul singer [[in this case male singers) that performed with the soulfulness, gusto and hipness of Wilson Pickett, David Ruffin, Marvin Junior, Teddy Pendergrass, Dennis Edwards, Joe Tex , Johnny Taylor Marvin Gaye, etc.ave

I have no doubt many great singers are performing in church. I also hope like Marv2 that a few of them make the transition to recording secular music. Don't get me wrong I love gospel music but I do miss these great traditional soul singers performing with swagger and panache and really working their audience. At least we have a great body of music from the 60's and 70's to listen to but I yearn for some young dudes to really shake things up. Marv is so right when he criticises the bland music force fed to us these days.

Maybe i'm too old but from that list of immortals mentioned i don't think there's anyone today who could even carry thier microphone cord.

They may exist, but not on any radio station or major record label. But then, I was never a fan of the "shouter" too much, my 3 favorite male soul singers are Cuba Gooding, O.C. Smith, and Al Wilson.

Is Brian Mcknight still actively recording?

I'm so glad I got to enjoy all of the great voices that I did growing up and I loved the soul
    shouters as well as the crooners even whisperers. Still I know much of the stuff has over time
    fallen out of favor today. No more glistening agile tenor-falsettos, no more large ensemble
    hard hitting funk bands, no more multi-instrumentalist solo artists creating future standards...
    I accept that and when I want to hear stuff like that I do as Corrine Bailey Rae suggested:
    I go put my records on. When Ryan Shaw didn't become the HUGE star I thought he deserved
    to be I knew soul shouting was basically taken out of the equation of contemporary music
    taste unless it's via a sampling. Looped for one track and buried under some kid's meandering rapping...Such is life, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Bobby Taylor still cooking
    Now that's true. Bobby is a true survivor, a wonder. I wished we here in the States got to hear him more often.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    They may exist, but not on any radio station or major record label. But then, I was never a fan of the "shouter" too much, my 3 favorite male soul singers are Cuba Gooding, O.C. Smith, and Al Wilson.
    Jill did you check out the thread on Al Wilson I started. My favorite 3 were:

Levi Stubbs/Four Tops
    Marvin Gaye
    David Ruffin with Wilson Pickett close behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Is Brian Mcknight still actively recording?
    He was doing his own radio program the last I heard from him.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I'm so glad I got to enjoy all of the great voices that I did growing up and I loved the soul
    shouters as well as the crooners even whisperers. Still I know much of the stuff has over time
    fallen out of favor today. No more glistening agile tenor-falsettos, no more large ensemble
    hard hitting funk bands, no more multi-instrumentalist solo artists creating future standards...
    I accept that and when I want to hear stuff like that I do as Corrine Bailey Rae suggested:
    I go put my records on. When Ryan Shaw didn't become the HUGE star I thought he deserved
    to be I knew soul shouting was basically taken out of the equation of contemporary music
    taste unless it's via a sampling. Looped for one track and buried under some kid's meandering rapping...Such is life, I guess...

Another problem that added to today's situation is that there are very good songwriters and real musicians recording.

I believe Terrance Trent D'Arby would have made the list, but he seemed to fade away here in the U.S.

You great male singers like Pete Rivera still performing but the music industry ignores talents beyond a "certain age" which is criminal. Even Al Green can't get his later material on the airwaves.

Hi Marv!

Terence has just released new music under the name of Sananda Maitreya

www.sanandamaitreya.com

Best regards
    Heikki

Hi Marv!

Terence has just released new music under the name of Sananda Maitreya

www.sanandamaitreya.com

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thank you Heikki as always. Now what is he trying to do with the name change? Kill his career completely?

Well, Marv, if you read his recent interviews and have a look at his site, it's obvious that he's an artist, who has chosen his own paths; both in music, and in his life. He's now living in Milan, Italy.
    But his recent music isn't too bad. I quite like some of it.
    However, I still prefer "If You Let Me Stay", released 28 years ago.

Best regards
    Heikki

To add to many on Heikki's list....... Those singers still around today that STILL possess greatness in their voice and sound as good as they did back in the day I would add to Lee Feilds, L.J. Reynold's, and the great Eddie Levert the following great voices:

CHUCK JACKSON
    LITTLE ANTHONY
    TIMOTHY WILSON
    BILLY VERA
    SPYDER TURNER
    GERALD ALSTON
    GLADYS KNIGHT

Today's Group:
    Mary J. Blige
    Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
    Yolanda Adams [[though Gospel)
    Bruno Mars

My list from 'back in the day' who still sing today are from an era "when singer's were real singers", I don't see that quality today. I don't care for many of today's artists, I just don't see any carrying the torch.

S.S.

He is not super young, but I enjoy Anthony Hamilton who has been a recent hit maker. Check out his excellent Christmas CD. His voice is very versatile. At his gruffest, Hamilton reminds me of Bobby Womack.