[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes Commercial

Has anyone else seen the new commercial for Marc Jacobs Decadence? It features the Marvelettes, Hunter Gets Captured By The Game. So nice to hear this song coming from my TV set!

Yes, thommg, I've heard it several times and agree it is very nice hearing it coming from the TV!

Here's the commercial:

https://youtu.be/1a5MrzsnQIM

Yep I saw it. Amazing how Wandas voice seemed do appropriate and sexy for this commerical.

I saw it at the doctor's office yesterday. Was a pleasant surprise hearing the youthful and exuberant voice coming from the tv.

I can certainly understand why they probably wanted to use that recording. That tune with The Marvelettes--and particularly Wanda's unique, sexy voice here on lead--is really a perfect combination. But the blatant sexuality of the visuals of the commercial don't even come close to what Wanda accomplished. I found the commercial crass, obvious, tiresome, predictable-exactly what Wanda's voice never was. If the commercial brings attention to The Marvelettes and gets new people interested, that's all well and good. But other than that, I found it very disappointing. The sound of The Marvelettes--particularly that of both Gladys and Wanda--had a sexiness all its own. Undeniable. Unmistakable. And something much more deserving than how it's being used here.

Agreed, M2. Great to have it used for a commercial.

Like you, I love the recording [[10 out of 10, for allure)....
    but not the commercial. [[0 out of 10, for allure)

Besides, there's a clumsy edit...

The track could have been used to so much better effect......but hope the finished clip is successful for the makers of the fragrance.

It's been around now for about 6 weeks. If it gets people to download 'Hunter' then I don't give a damn about the product.

I'm happy they used The Marvelettes hit song,The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game,for a commercial,it's a whole new world,out there,who never heard it,can now hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I'm happy they used The Marvelettes hit song,The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game,for a commercial,it's a whole new world,out there,who never heard it,can now hear it.
    I was surprised that they used the original recording rather than having a sound a like or even someone else sing a new arrangement. It makes me happy to listen to the commercial.

I thought same thing thom and I didn't even notice what the commercial was for! I guess a session singer couldn't top Wanda!! I'm assuming the Andantes are backing-?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I thought same thing thom and I didn't even notice what the commercial was for! I guess a session singer couldn't top Wanda!! I'm assuming the Andantes are backing-?
    Yes, luke, it's The Andantes -- in top form!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Besides, there's a clumsy edit...
    So true, WGB. So very true. As much as they may have wanted that recording for the commercial, they really don't seem to have focused on the music itself. A jarring, disjointed, off-putting editing jump in there. Very disheartening.

Considering the visual concept they had in mind, they probably should have used something like Rick James' [[co-written with Alonzo Miller) SUPER FREAK:

"She's a very kinky girl,
    The kind you don't bring home to mother;
    She will never let your spirits down,
    Once you get her off the street."

Maybe not the selling point--but that certainly seems to be more the message.

I'm all for pointed attention given to The Marvelettes and things that might cause people to search out their music and their history and legacy. But this time out specifically via this commercial, it just seems very ill-conceived to me. But I can also tell that many are definitely enjoying it, so there you have it.

I 'wanda' about the value of the royalty income stream, and who will actually receive any of that revenue.....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I 'wanda' about the value of the royalty income stream, and who will actually receive any of that revenue.....
    I wondered about this myself. If any of the surviving members benefit financially it would be the most 'marvelettest' thing.

I expect the publishing and composing rights [[Smokey) to get at least some, if not most - but it would be good to know that an appropriate income did go to original members of The Marvelettes, or registered beneficiaries of their estate.

My understanding is that usage of recordings after the fact goes through licensing which is held by the music's owner and/or publisher, and possibly the music's writer if said writer has an agreement for that with the owner and/or publisher. I don't believe that the artists involved in the recording receive any usage fees since they're not involved in the licensing. An artist who might be involved with licensing through writing/publishing/ownership/etc. would be an exception to this.

Someone else on the Forum no doubt has additional or corrective information to this.

GrtGzu.....

Re: your new thread today , this previous one might interest you....

Thanks for bumping this up WGB - VERY informative......

Seems a shame that they don't get any royalties for it.....

How great that they used the original version with Wanda's voice so prominent in the ad, and didn't have it reinterpreted by someone who sounds like Adele or something. Not that I don't like Adele - I do - but this is the Marvelettes! Nice find! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    So true, WGB. So very true. As much as they may have wanted that recording for the commercial, they really don't seem to have focused on the music itself. A jarring, disjointed, off-putting editing jump in there. Very disheartening.

Considering the visual concept they had in mind, they probably should have used something like Rick James' [[co-written with Alonzo Miller) SUPER FREAK:

"She's a very kinky girl,
    The kind you don't bring home to mother;
    She will never let your spirits down,
    Once you get her off the street."

Maybe not the selling point--but that certainly seems to be more the message.

I'm all for pointed attention given to The Marvelettes and things that might cause people to search out their music and their history and legacy. But this time out specifically via this commercial, it just seems very ill-conceived to me. But I can also tell that many are definitely enjoying it, so there you have it.
    Methuselah2, you know that very few people out there are listening with the kind of scrutiny us Motown obsessed fans can give it. They might vaguely remember the song [[and it was performed by other artists much later such as Blondie and Grace Jones). I know it's a clumsy edit but I don't think that detracts from the positive aspects of having the sun be the centerpiece of the commercial. I'm thrilled!