[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Four Tops - Sexy Ways!

I have waited at least a year for someone to finally upload this one to Youtube and now it's there. "Sexy Ways", the Four Tops last great single release for Motown in 1985. This one was played everyday in Detroit the summer of '85. WJLB would play it to death, sometimes double play it! Love this one!

Great stuff Marv!

"Magic" is one of the many Four Tops albums that was recently issued as a download. I believe that it's a digital debut - though the cd was taking off as a medium in 1985, I find nothing about a cd release of this album. That topic was addressed in this thread:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...vailable-on-CD

Why was the follow-up project, "Hot Nights", cancelled? I believe that the Four Tops took some [[all?) of the songs they recorded for it to Arista, where they appeared on "Indestructible"?
    Last edited by calvin; 10-11-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Great stuff Marv!

"Magic" is one of the many Four Tops' albums that was recently issued as a download. I believe that it's a digital debut - though the cd was taking off as a medium in 1985, I find nothing about a cd release of this album. That topic was addressed in this thread:

Why was the follow-up project, "Hot Nights", cancelled? I believe that the Four Tops took some [[all?) of the songs they recorded for it to Arista, where they appeared on "Indestructible"?
    Thanks Calvin. I bought the vinyl album immediately back in '85. To my knowledge it was never released on CD.

"Hot Nights" was the aborted Four Tops album. .However, the single or title song was played regularly on radio in Philly late Summer and early Fall of 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I have waited at least a year for someone to finally upload this one to Youtube and now it's there.
    That someone appears to be Universal, if what's written on YouTube is correct:
    "Published on 5 Oct 2015
    Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group International"

Presumably to promote the download, and I guess it can earn a bit of money if someone clicks on an ad or something.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/mag.../0060254747990

https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCPa...546e851daf909a
    Last edited by calvin; 10-11-2015 at 12:29 PM.

That someone appears to be Universal, if what's written on YouTube is correct:
    "Published on 5 Oct 2015
    Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group International"

Presumably to promote the download, and I guess it can earn a bit of money if someone clicks on an ad or something.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/mag.../0060254747990

https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCPa...546e851daf909a

Well then they have finally done something I like and want! LOL!

Now if they would just upload Bonnie Pointer's "Deep Inside My Soul".

I owned the cassette in 1985. It may have been played everyday in Detroit that summer, but it was also in heavy rotation in my college dorm room in Hartford, CT that Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I owned the cassette in 1985. It may have been played everyday in Detroit that summer, but it was also in heavy rotation in my college dorm room in Hartford, CT that Fall.
    You go Johnny Raven! LOL! This is song is the last song that also brings up memories of Belle Isle [[Detroit) in the Summer. This one was played as much as Aretha's "Freeway of Love" that summer. I'd get off work and head up Jefferson Ave. to Belle Isle.

Great stuff Marv!

"Magic" is one of the many Four Tops albums that was recently issued as a download. I believe that it's a digital debut - though the cd was taking off as a medium in 1985, I find nothing about a cd release of this album. That topic was addressed in this thread:

Calvin,

By mid '86, Motown was going through another of its internal turmoils with the company in dispute with Rick James and a number of planned albums were cancelled including the Four Tops' "Hot Nights", the Mary Jane Girls' "Conversation" and an untitled album by the Waters. The tracks from "Hot Nights" that the Four Tops took with them to Arista were "Indestructible", "Let's Jam" and "The Four Of Us". The rest of the album's tracks are still in the Motown vault although "Red Hot Love" from the said album has since appeared on the "Fourever" box set" and the UK compiled/released "Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Vol.2" CD set.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Calvin,

By mid '86, Motown was going through another of its internal turmoils with the company in dispute with Rick James and a number of planned albums were cancelled including the Four Tops' "Hot Nights", the Mary Jane Girls' "Conversation" and an untitled album by the Waters. The tracks from "Hot Nights" that the Four Tops took with them to Arista were "Indestructible", "Let's Jam" and "The Four Of Us". The rest of the album's tracks are still in the Motown vault although "Red Hot Love" from the said album has since appeared on the "Fourever" box set" and the UK compiled/released "Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Vol.2" CD set.

Ivor
    Thanks Ivor!
    Calvin

Calvin,

Ivor
    Yes, thank you Ivor for that backing information. I bought the "Indestructible" album as well in 1988. I enjoyed it, but the "Magic" album became a favorite of mine.

Hey marv,great song from the tops i always felt that it was underated.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv,great song from the tops i always felt that it was underated.

Totally underrated JAI. It was a big local hit. Old school yeah,but very popular in the clubs.

Calvin,

By mid '86, Motown was going through another of its internal turmoils with the company in dispute with Rick James and a number of planned albums were cancelled including the Four Tops' "Hot Nights", the Mary Jane Girls' "Conversation" and an untitled album by the Waters.
    Ivor
    The Motown Winter Spring 1987 catalogue shows "Hot Nights" as scheduled for release in February 1987 along with the debut album by F.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    The Motown Winter Spring 1987 catalogue shows "Hot Nights" as scheduled for release in February 1987 along with the debut album by F.G.O.
    The "Hot Nights" album was originally scheduled fro release in the US in August 1986 on Motown 6211ML and in the UK/Europe in October 1986 on Motown ZL72480 and in both instances kept being re-scheduled for release right through to late spring 1987 but then cancelled resulting in the Tops leaving Motown later that year although they came back to Motown for a third time in 1994 but all that resulted from that resigning was the "Christmas Here With You" album and the group's version of "I'll Be There" that appeared on that Berry Gordy "Tribute" CD compilation released in 1995.

Ivor

The "Hot Nights" album was originally scheduled fro release in the US in August 1986 on Motown 6211ML and in the UK/Europe in October 1986 on Motown ZL72480 and in both instances kept being re-scheduled for release right through to late spring 1987 but then cancelled resulting in the Tops leaving Motown later that year although they came back to Motown for a third time in 1994 but all that resulted from that resigning was the "Christmas Here With You" album and the group's version of "I'll Be There" that appeared on that Berry Gordy "Tribute" CD compilation released in 1995.

Ivor
    Laserdk, you are right. That is when they started playing the single ,"Hot Nights" on the radio in Philadelphia; August of 1986. I remember hearing it a couple of times back then. The "Christmas With You" CD is nice. I have it. I wished Motown had of went ahead with the "Hot Nights" album, instead we got "Loco In Acapulco" a few years later. LOL!

I love this recording as it is Levi at his best. He made up all of the ad-libs that flow so well with the rest of the song.

Is this the same album that has Remember Me on it ?

Yep, it is, indeed, the "Magic" album that has the Tops' cover of "Remember Me" on it.

Ivor

Yep, it is, indeed, the "Magic" album that has the Tops' cover of "Remember Me" on it.

Ivor
    They also did an excellent cover of "I'm Ready For Love":

Hey marv,i don't have the[45]in front of me ,but wasn't[body and soul]the b-side?

Hey marv,i don't have the[45]in front of me ,but wasn't[body and soul]the b-side?
    You JAI, I never had the single, just album. But hold up sec.

You're right....check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Tops-Sexy.../dp/B00Q51829E

"Sexy Ways" has that "Catfish" vibe about it! Just give Levi and excuse to sing about a beautiful woman and he would go to town......LOL! I miss them!

Talk about a killer[b-side]body and soul is it,just a jammin groove.

Talk about a killer[b-side]body and soul is it,just a jammin groove.
    I have to give it a listen. I might buy the single just to hear it. Thanks JAI!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  21.1 KB
    Ha! Ha! As The Four Tops were a Detroit group that was around Detroit in 1954, I was hoping this was an old 1955 recording of The Four Tops singing the Detroit group . The Midnighters' 1955 hit of "Sexy Ways" on an unreleased Chess acetate from 1955! I'm disappointed.

Hey robb,weren't they the[four aims]back then?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 656
    Ha! Ha! As The Four Tops were a Detroit group that was around Detroit in 1954, I was hoping this was an old 1955 recording of The Four Tops singing the Detroit group . The Midnighters' 1955 hit of "Sexy Ways" on an unreleased Chess acetate from 1955! I'm disappointed.
    Robb, did you like this song here?

Hey robb,weren't they the[four aims]back then?
Views: 670
    Yes, they were in 1954. But, already in 1955, they were called The Four Tops, and were recording for Chess Records. They had records released on Chess both in 1955 and 1956.

Robb, did you like this song here?
Views: 669
    It's okay, and certainly listenable. But, I really don't like the sound of the 1980s. I can barely stand 1970s cuts. It's funny, because I had my own Soul music record company from 1979-1985, and worked on production and pre-mixing, and worked with the singers in the recording booth. But, I really don't like the sound of the music very much, at least compared to the sound of the music from 1936-1966. I don't like keyboards replacing plunky pianos, I like stand-up base fiddles, I like old-fashioned Sax, and the old sound of recording studios.

This "Sexy Ways" by The Four Tops certainly sounds better than just about all of our own Airwave, and Altair and Rene [[Freddie Gorman) cuts from the 1980s, basically because Levi and the others are such good singers. But, I just don't like the style of the music.

Views: 669
    It's okay, and certainly listenable. But, I really don't like the sound of the 1980s. I can barely stand 1970s cuts. It's funny, because I had my own Soul music record company from 1979-1985, and worked on production and pre-mixing, and worked with the singers in the recording booth. But, I really don't like the sound of the music very much, at least compared to the sound of the music from 1936-1966. I don't like keyboards replacing plunky pianos, I like stand-up base fiddles, I like old-fashioned Sax, and the old sound of recording studios.

This "Sexy Ways" by The Four Tops certainly sounds better than just about all of our own Airwave, and Altair and Rene [[Freddie Gorman) cuts from the 1980s, basically because Levi and the others are such good singers. But, I just don't like the style of the music.
    Robb, you worked at or for Airwave and Altair labels? Oh and I can appreciate you may not like the style of "Sexy Ways" even if I do. The vocals are top notch!

Robb, you worked at or for Airwave and Altair labels? Oh and I can appreciate you may not like the style of "Sexy Ways" even if I do. The vocals are top notch!
Views: 658
    Yes, and I was one of the owners, too. I worked with Tom DePierro at Motown just before, and was a partner at Airwave and Altair.

Yes, Levi's vocals on "Sexy Ways" were superb. The singing in the '70s, '80s, '90s didn't get worse. I just don't like the songwriting style and the new instrumentation. It's just a matter of style and individual taste. I think that most people just like what they heard in their youth better than music they heard in their 50s, 60s and 70s. It's just natural. We old geezers and fogies can still appreciate good art that is made past our prime. We just don't identify it as much.

I can appreciate that Bobby Orr was probably the most dominant player to ever play hockey. But, I'll never decide that he was a "better" player than Gordie Howe, I wouldn't put Wayne Gretzky even remotely in their class. But many so-called hockey experts say the latter was the "best player ever". I loved Motown, and The Temptations and The Miracles. But, they'll never mean as much to me as The 1953-55 Flamingos or 1951-54 Five Keys. I can appreciate the artistry in modern 3D animation. But, I'll never think it holds a candle to beautiful 2D Disney animation from the 1930s and 1940s. I'll never even think Disney animation from the late 1940s and early 1950s is remotely close to Disney Animation of the early 1940s.

Views: 658
    Yes, and I was one of the owners, too. I worked with Tom DePierro at Motown just before, and was a partner at Airwave and Altair.

Yes, Levi's vocals on "Sexy Ways" were superb. The singing in the '70s, '80s, '90s didn't get worse. I just don't like the songwriting style and the new instrumentation. It's just a matter of style and individual taste. I think that most people just like what they heard in their youth better than music they heard in their 50s, 60s and 70s. It's just natural. We old geezers and fogies can still appreciate good art that is made past our prime. We just don't identify it as much.

I can appreciate that Bobby Orr was probably the most dominant player to ever play hockey. But, I'll never decide that he was a "better" player than Gordie Howe, I wouldn't put Wayne Gretzky even remotely in their class. But many so-called hockey experts say the latter was the "best player ever". I loved Motown, and The Temptations and The Miracles. But, they'll never mean as much to me as The 1953-55 Flamingos or 1951-54 Five Keys. I can appreciate the artistry in modern 3D animation. But, I'll never think it holds a candle to beautiful 2D Disney animation from the 1930s and 1940s. I'll never even think Disney animation from the late 1940s and early 1950s is remotely close to Disney Animation of the early 1940s.
    Robb! I am amazed and very impressed! I knew those labels. Did you work with Scherrie Payne? No wonder you are so knowledgeable about music. By the way I met Gordie Howe in Detroit back in 1994. My company hired him to join us at a trade show. I still have his autographed picture LOL! This is great.

I do understand completely how you feel about changes in music and preferring that of the past more. For me my displeasure truly set in by the mid 90s. It seemed that there were no more great songwriters and real musicians playing real instruments on the records. The younger singers were indistinguishable with very untrained sounding voices. Every now and then a great artist would pop up, but there were just not many Celine Dions, Michael Buble' or Whitney Houstons out there.

Robb! I am amazed and very impressed! I knew those labels. Did you work with Scherrie Payne? No wonder you are so knowledgeable about music. By the way I met Gordie Howe in Detroit back in 1994. My company hired him to join us at a trade show. I still have his autographed picture LOL! This is great.
Views: 673
    I met Scherrie, and was at a couple of her sessions. But I didn't work on them. If I remember correctly, Rick Gianatos did just about everything on all her sessions. He was another partner in the companies, and the main A&R man. He brought Scherrie to Airwave.

I met Gordie Howe in 1954 at a Hawks/Wings game. He was really nice. He gave me an autographed practice puck. I starting watching him play in 1951, so, I saw him play all his prime [[missing only 4 years of his NHL career). He and Rocket Richard were the greatest players I ever saw play. They'd have been great stars in any era.

Views: 673
    I met Scherrie, and was at a couple of her sessions. But I didn't work on them. If I remember correctly, Rick Gianatos did just about everything on all her sessions. He was another partner in the companies, and the main A&R man. He brought Scherrie to Airwave.

I met Gordie Howe in 1954 at a Hawks/Wings game. He was really nice. He gave me an autographed practice puck. I starting watching him play in 1951, so, I saw him play all his prime [[missing only 4 years of his NHL career). He and Rocket Richard were the greatest players I ever saw play. They'd have been great stars in any era.
    Like Stubass, you should consider writing a book! I've done a lot of things, but you guys have stories I'd love to read about.

Like Stubass, you should consider writing a book! I've done a lot of things, but you guys have stories I'd love to read about.
Views: 674
    I'm not sure many people would read a book by me about The Music Industry, but anyone my age [[going on 70), should have some interesting or funny stories to tell. And I definitely need them, as I am a professional story writer. My strength is that I've done a fair amount of different things in my life [[hockey player, economist/environmental scientist/engineer for United Nations in Africa and Asia, and cartoonist), having lived in more than 20 countries. But, my biggest claim to fame probably is that I'm the butt of jokes, and probably infamous as an urban legend of idiocy. There are probably at least hundreds of people in Jordan, still telling their grandchildren about the idiot "Westerner" who made a very embarrassing faux pas 36 years ago. But, at least I had 'em "rolling in the aisles"!

It happened in spring 1979, when I first arrived in Jordan, to work as a subcontractor to a multi-national engineering firm, on a UN project, designing an expansion and modernisation of the capital, Amman/Zarqa Metropolitan Area water and sewer system. This was our first meeting with the client, The City of Amman. The Mayor and City Council were there, as was the National Ministers of Development and Resources. They were all decked out in fancy suits [[to impress us Westerners [[Dutch, Swiss, Canadians, Brits and Americans). The meeting was to introduce the project team to the City and national dignitaries. It was all very formal. I had studied Arabic language before leaving Holland, in order to impress the client. As is always done in The Arab countries, we formed a long line of our project team members, to walk by, one by one, and introduce ourselves to each one of the office holders. Because it was formal only one of us was introduced to each member of City staff, while all our colleagues remained standing and watching.

So, each member of our team was all alone in the spotlight. THAT was bad luck [[or good luck) depending upon how one looks at this situation. I wanted to impress the client by being friendly. So, I said [[in Arabic) Hello Mister ............, to each one, while shaking his hand heartily, and then stated "I'm Robbert Klein". I got about three quarters of the way through the line, when I came to Mr. Nassour [[or, at least that's what I THOUGHT was his name, based on the way it sounded when he pronounced it. I smiled and said, "I'm glad to meet you, Mr. Nassour!"

Before I could state my own name, the whole group of fancy-suited, men, who had been trying to look very official, professional and dignified, trying so very hard to impress us Westerners, all burst into roaring, side-splitting laughter, with most bent half over, and some rolling on the floor. Some were laughing so hard they were in tears. It was an unbelievable sight [[like from a cartoon).

When they finally stopped laughing [[about 10 minutes later-seeming like an hour), our project manager [[who was a Palestinian/American) informed me that the man's name was Nassouh, not Nassour [[they sound almost exactly alike to a Western ear). He then informed me that "Nassour" meant "hemmerhoids". I involuntarily burst out laughing. The Arabs all laughed again. It's now more than 36 years later, and I'm sure that those people are still telling the story about the "Western" fool, who, with a silly grin on his face, said, "Hello Mister Hemmeroids" to a man in an important diplomatic meeting. I'll bet they'll be telling that to their grandchildren and great grandchildren. I'll become an "urban legend". Not sure I welcome that kind of notoriety. But, we writers need life experiences from which to draw for writing material.

Like Dave Berry says: "You can't make up stuff like this!" Writers use life experiences all the time as basis for stories, or scenes or sequences in stories, just changing the names or embellishing the situations to fit what is needed. Things that really happened and real reactions of people are more believable and readers can identify with them more. People who write about what they know are definitely more "convincing" than those who don't know what they are talking about. That's why I like the stories of Damon Runyan and O'Henry. Even though their stories are fiction, you can really "live" in them as you do in a good film, because what is happening is real, and you get involved in the characters' emotions.

I have scores of stories from actual events. I was held at the border between Jordan and Israel by Israeli Security, by the borderguards of East Berlin, trying to return to West Berlin, and playing the "Western Idiot" again, am hated by a bus full of Jordanian shoppers, because I personally delayed our trip by over an hour, because I tried to return from a shopping trip to Damascus from Amman, carrying two swords I bought in the cabin. They are probably telling their grandchildren about that "idiot", too. They certainly looked daggers at me, letting me know they despised me, while the bus driver took ALL their packages off the roof rack, so he could bury my swords at the very bottom of the stack, so I couldn't threaten the bus driver with one, commandeer the bus, and force the driver to take us to Algeria.

If I lighten my load of my Disney work, some day, I might write a book something along the lines of a mixture of Dave Berry and Damon Runyan. At least I'll think about it,

See that was funny as hell LOL! You have material and the makings a great book Robb.

I agree with marv,robb write that book!!

See that was funny as hell LOL! You have material and the makings a great book Robb.
Views: 633
    You may have a point. But, that story was my funniest, by far. I have no more funny of the "Ha! Ha!" variety, only the funny [[in the sense of "strange") variety.

The only other "wet your pants with laughter" story I have is a "you had to have seen this yourself" kind of event.

About 10-12 years ago, my ladyfriend from Holland was visiting me during my annual 2-3 month stay in Munich, Germany, where I work in an animation firm. She had never been to Munich before, and wanted to see the famous "Hofbreu Haus". So, we went to the biggest tourist one, and they sent us to the main room. Usually, the main rooms [[by far, the largest, have a large mix of people, tourists from all over The World, and some local Germans. Large organisations and tour groups, who rent whole rooms, usually get the smaller rooms, unless they have an extremely large party. Being as we both spoke Dutch, English German and French [[as most people in Holland can do), we figured we'd not have a lack of people with which to talk and drink.

But, when we were escorted to our room, we found, much to our shock, that it was filled with Japanese tourists, apparently from a large company group, who hired the room. The men were all wearing the tradition black businessman's suit, with thr pencil-thin black ties. Their wives were all wearing conservative clothing. Needless to say, NONE of them spoke a word of English, or any European language.

Nevermind, my girlfriend and I thought. We were quite prepared to do our thing, drinking a liter or two, and soaking in the kitchy atmosphere of the Bavarian "Oompah-Pah Band, dressed in lederhosen and quaint Bayerish hats, performing on stage. We were in for a surprise.

After some time,many of the Japanese men were roaring drunk, and starting to get a little silly. The bandleader noticed that, and saw a chance to liven up the party. So, he called up several of the rowdyest up to the stage. There, he gave them each a traditional Bavarian feathered hat to wear. Then, he proceeded to teach them the steps of the traditional Bavarian knee-slapping folk dancing. Those roaring drunk Japanese tourists were so drunk, that they could hardly stand up. But they were also so drunk they didn't have any inhibitions. They really got into it, -dancing to the Bavarian folk music. They all had giant wide smiles on their faces, and were trying hard to master the steps.

The sight of those normally-serious conservative Japanese businessmen trying to do that knee-slapping dance to that corny Oopah-Pah Band's music was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. We were laughing until we were holding our stomachs in pain. I almost wet my pants with laughter. I will NEVER forget that sight [[even after I'm totally senile, and can't remember my family and friends). It was actually funnier than "The Norwegian Fish-Slapping Dance".

But, it's MUCH, MUCH funnier in person, -especially when it's the last thing you'd ever expect [[even after "The Spanish Inquisition"!). Just reading a word description of it can't possibly do it justice.

Robb, now picture that [[the Japanese businessmen) as a scene in a movie. That would be very funny. All I recall about guys like that was in the 80s they would be scouring lower Manhattan taking pictures of every building in site.

Robb, now picture that [[the Japanese businessmen) as a scene in a movie. That would be very funny. All I recall about guys like that was in the 80s they would be scouring lower Manhattan taking pictures of every building in site.
Views: 594
    And now those picture takers probably OWN all those buildings! And, if THEY don't, The Chinese probably do!

Views: 594
    And now those picture takers probably OWN all those buildings! And, if THEY don't, The Chinese probably do!
    Exactly! They started their "invasion" by the late 80s and it did not let up completely.

Does anyone know if there was an extended mix of this great song?

I know I'm a bit late but I also love this song! Written and produced by Willie Hutch I believe. Also love "Don't Turn Away" from the same album!

This is one of my favorites!

This is one of my favorites!
    Yes indeed Marv! And with goooood reason. A delightful mid-'80s quiet storm-ish number, just love it!

Do you know why they decided to rerecord the Motown classics "Remember Me" and "I'm Ready For Love" on the album?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yes indeed Marv! And with goooood reason. A delightful mid-'80s quiet storm-ish number, just love it!

Do you know why they decided to rerecord the Motown classics "Remember Me" and "I'm Ready For Love" on the album?
    I have no clue as to why they recorded those old songs. "Sexy Ways" receive a LOT of airplay on local Detroit stations in the Spring/Summer of 1985.

I have no clue as to why they recorded those old songs. "Sexy Ways" received a LOT of airplay on local Detroit stations in the Spring/Summer of 1985.
    Yes I believe it was a nice-sized R&B hit as well [[#21) - and deservedly so!!!

I also love this, The Four Tops' last ever single for Motown. What a way to end!!