[REMOVE ADS]

Wanted: Original versions of "Want Ads"

I just read that "Want Ads" was first recorded by Glass House and then by Freda & Scherrie Payne before going to Honey Cone who, of course, had a huge hit with it. Do the original versions still exist? Has anyone heard them? How do they compare? Are they available anywhere? Thanks.

I wish...I wish.

Brenda Holloway seems to think she recorded it too.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I wish...I wish.

Brenda Holloway seems to think she recorded it too.
    This is breaking news to me!

I knew that Scherrie & the Glass House had done it.

An old thread - posted for interest...
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...-Invictus-solo

I don't know how true it is, but I thought I read somewhere the Invictus/Hot Wave master tape catalog and recording session information was in such disarray that it was hard to find things.

Yes the Want Ads story is included in liner notes for every Glasshouse compilation, but nobody bothers to try and find it in the vaults and include it.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Sounds like not releasing the originals may have been a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Yes the Want Ads story is included in liner notes for every Glasshouse compilation, but nobody bothers to try and find it in the vaults and include it.
    That's not true. Everyone and his dog has tried for unissued material but so far, access has been denied to those of us who have tried.

The hdh set had unissued material only because fans agreed to loan out their acetates.

John,

Did you ever ascertain that a full unreleased album on Brenda exists from her Music Merchant days or did your enquiries/research into the existence of such an album come up blank?

Ivor

Ivor

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Scherrie was not happy with the final product and so it did not get released. Perhaps the demos were handed over to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    John,

Did you ever ascertain that a full unreleased album on Brenda exists from her Music Merchant days or did your enquiries/research into the existence of such an album come up blank?

Ivor

Ivor
    Trying t get ANY info from the HDH camp was hard when I was involved in saNCTURY Releases. I even offere to pay for my own trip to check what was available but I was told that the vault was disorganised and needed work before anyone visited.

I resorted to asking Brenda and she told me that she recorded all the songs that were hits for other invictus artists wants ads, crumbs, band oif gold etc and she couldn't understand why none of her versions were released. She estimated that there was more than enough for an album on her. She also mentioned that she was shocked to see a release on her that was put out on music merchant since she had signed to invictus. She remarked that the artist is often the last to know when releases are put out...as was the case with some quiet place/let love grow.

Sorry about grammar...I'm in China and its hard to get a good internet connection with the outside world....

Thanks for the info John. I wouldn't mind hearing Brenda's cover versions of those Invictus hits but I suspect I never will. It's a shame the Holland brothers don't appreciate the treasure trove they're sitting on.

Ivor

Scherrie's original recording of "Want Ads" with the Glass House does exist. Here's a sample of it. http://youtu.be/QnLSyQws8LI

Quote Originally Posted by 8supremes View Post
    Scherrie's original recording of "Want Ads" with the Glass House does exist. Here's a sample of it. http://youtu.be/QnLSyQws8LI
    I can hear how Scherrie would have thought that Edna version was her version. Now I wonder what Freda's version sounds like?
    Thanks so much for the clip 8supremes.

Yes i thing Edna and Scherrie do sound alike and not unlike Freda either. At least Brenda sounds different.

Damn.....china even censors YouTube. What a naff place to go n vacation.. Can't wait to go home

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  21.1 KB
    Scherrie's version does sound somewhat similar to Edna's, but a less "spirited" vocal. I can see why HDH chose to release Edna's.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  21.1 KB
    Scherrie's version does sound somewhat similar to Edna's, but a less "spirited" vocal. I can see why HDH chose to release Edna's.
    It sounds as though Edna's was recorded at a slightly faster tempo as well. Also, this sounds like its cut in a key slightly high for Scherrie.