[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,should have been a big hit,what happen?

When i first heard this Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta album,i fell in love,with the whole album,it was a beautiful concept album,produced just for Syreeta,her voice is so clear,and rich,when i listen to Syreeta sing,Cause We Ended As Lovers,Why Can't We Still Be Friends,her voice is incredible,I'm Goin' Left,Come And Get This Stuff,has a Jackson 5 feel to it,it was a single,i thought it was gonna be a hit,[[it was not a hit)Your Kiss Is Sweet,Heavy Day and A Piece Of You,are standouts,Syreeta is singing these songs,like she lived them,I Wanna Be By Your Side,singing with G.C Cameron,they sound great together,Waiting For The Postman,When Your Daddy's Not round,and Universal Sounds Of The World,Syreeta was beautiful on the cover too,again great album,it didn't sell well,and no hits,i don't understand why,can someone tell me what happen ?,to this day,it's still one of the best albums,i ever heard. p.s i was so in love with Syreeta's talent,i'v got every album,or cd that she has ever recorded,R.I.P Syreeta,your music is Forever.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 10-03-2015 at 04:55 PM.

The first time I heard it was back in 2001. Some guy sent me a vinyl rip in the mail. I thought I could do a better job, and found a clean used copy of it and did it over.

Anyway, You're right! It is an excellent production and performance, and the songs are stuff Grammys are made for. But, what the hell happened? Did Motown not bother to promote it?

I had the great fortune to see her one and only tour. After "Stevie Wonder presents..." was released, she did a club tour of 12-14 markets. She played at The Boarding House in San Francisco and did quite a long show including tracks from the MoWest album.
    It is a mystery why those records never caught on. Stevie was just entering his golden era and a lot of "Stevie Wonder presents....." sounded like an extension of "Music of My Mind" and "Talking Book". Stevie did his own version of songs like "I Love Everything About You". The show in San Francisco was definitely soldout. The Boarding House held about 1,000 seats if I remember correctly. So she clearly had a strong fan base in San Francisco. At the same time, I don't recall hearing any of the songs on the old KSOL or KMEL.
    It was a great word of mouth album because you often hear stores like Tower San Francisco and the old Record Factory playing it.

As I read somewhere, Stevie had a falling out with his longtime co-producers, collaborators, and engineers during, or soon after the recording of the album. The very album Stevie worked on with Malcolm Cecil and Robert Margouleff was either "Fulfillingness First Finale" or this one. If fact, it was those two guys who helped Stevie program his hard funk sound with the Moog synthesizers.

I was working for a record shop called Sound Odyssey at the time. I remember playing this LP in the store and turning a few heads.

Everyone i played the Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta album for, liked it,Stevie was not happy,about the album not selling either.i know Syreeta did her part,to push the album,i got the chance to meet her,when she came to Chicago to promote the album,she put on a great show,she even did some song,she wrote like Sign Sealed Delivered,I'm Yours,Blame It On The Sun,I Love Every Little Thing About You,great personality,on and off stage,The Best.

Still one of my favourite CD's ...Syreeta SHOULD have been a bigger star

I'm thinking it was a complexity of a lot of issues: Syreeta kept getting shuffled between different subsidiaries [[her 1972 Motown debut was released on MoWest, I think), Stevie producing a bunch of stuff in between [[his albums, Jeff Beck, Minnie, etc.), the fallout with his producers, etc.

Even SW said he was stunned that the album didn't do as well as he had hoped.

And maybe, just maybe, the album was seen as "too progressive" for an R&B artist to be releasing in 1974 [[the same could be said about the first album too).

I agree Berry101,Syreeta should have been a big star,she had the talent,i also love Syreeta singing the background to Stevie Wonder's If You Really Love Me,she sounds so good,on this track,it's like shes singing a solo in the background,Syreeta had that voice,that stands out.

I LOVE this album and was so happy when it appeared on cd. The song I would have released as the first single would have been Heavy Day. I, many years ago, put that on mixtapes and people always wanted to know who it was and what it was from. Perhaps the story like quality of the second side was not to people's liking but I always enjoyed it. I don't remember seeing it in my records stores, though. They had the LP in the bin but it was never pushed or played. I bought it because I heard Syreeta sing Cause We've Ended Now As Lovers on television and thought it was one of the most beautiful songs I'd ever heard. This recording still is in rotation on my mp3 player.

Totally agree Redhot ...love her on If you really love me!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm thinking it was a complexity of a lot of issues: Syreeta kept getting shuffled between different subsidiaries [[her 1972 Motown debut was released on MoWest, I think), Stevie producing a bunch of stuff in between [[his albums, Jeff Beck, Minnie, etc.), the fallout with his producers, etc.

Even SW said he was stunned that the album didn't do as well as he had hoped.

And maybe, just maybe, the album was seen as "too progressive" for an R&B artist to be releasing in 1974 [[the same could be said about the first album too).
    That last excuse I don't buy after Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On".

I still think it has to do with a lack of interest on Motown's part. They just didn't push it hard enough.

Name:  MI0001936778.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  22.0 KB
    I loved it and it was one of the best albums [[in my opinion) to come off the Motown/Tamla label. In fact what could have helped if there had been a real duet with Stevie on it.
    Last edited by captainjames; 10-04-2015 at 09:47 PM.

I agree with you Captainjames.Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,is one of the best albums,to come out of Motown,and Thanks for postin' the album cover,what a beautiful lady,a duet would have been nice,but you can tell,Stevie is singing all over this album, you can still tell, it's a Syreeta album,one listen to Cause We Ended As Lovers,Why Can't We Still Be Friends,you know it's all about Syreeta's voice.

I saw that show at the Boarding House. It was a wonderful show. I also remember it being well attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I had the great fortune to see her one and only tour. After "Stevie Wonder presents..." was released, she did a club tour of 12-14 markets. She played at The Boarding House in San Francisco and did quite a long show including tracks from the MoWest album.
    It is a mystery why those records never caught on. Stevie was just entering his golden era and a lot of "Stevie Wonder presents....." sounded like an extension of "Music of My Mind" and "Talking Book". Stevie did his own version of songs like "I Love Everything About You". The show in San Francisco was definitely soldout. The Boarding House held about 1,000 seats if I remember correctly. So she clearly had a strong fan base in San Francisco. At the same time, I don't recall hearing any of the songs on the old KSOL or KMEL.
    It was a great word of mouth album because you often hear stores like Tower San Francisco and the old Record Factory playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    I saw that show at the Boarding House. It was a wonderful show. I also remember it being well attended.
    What a small world! She was letter perfect that night.

Saw some great shows there including:

Chaka Khan & Rufus [[one of the nights she was!)

Natalie Cole

I also remember that comedian Franklin Ajaye opened up for her. I was glad I was able to attend.

at the Boarding House I also saw Sylvester and The Pointer Sisters. Needless to say, those shows were dynamite as well. I really liked going to the Boarding House. The prices were just as good as the shows. I believe I saw a couple of shows for less than $5.00

[/I]
    What a small world! She was letter perfect that night.

Saw some great shows there including:

Chaka Khan & Rufus [[one of the nights she was!)

Natalie Cole
    Last edited by caliluv; 10-05-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Ah, Syreeta. Honestly, the tune I most relate to her with is "Spinnin' and Spinnin'", really grabs with those metaphors of "I don't want to be just another feather in your cap, you see" and "Just another toy that is put away" along with loopy "spinning" melody.

But, let's face it. No denying, the real greats of period, "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On", "Music of My Mind", and "Talking Book", no denying they were magnificent, Motown and in general, records, but even if Motown did not promote her, as probably the only "promotable" acts they pushed that time, may be Stevie, and Marvin, and Diana, and Jacksons, and Tempts, there's still interest, even if it may be today, rather than some of those singers' lifetimes, for those obscures, underrated / under appreciated, that just on the mystique alone, oftentimes hooks in somehow more than their bigger selling peers. I too love Syreeta. I oftentimes prefer Martha Reeves' voice [[not to say she was an obscure, but she practically was by 1968) over Diana Ross'. Sorry Smokey, but there are many times I choose on to listening to Billy Griffin first. I now have that "Fantastic Four's Lost Motown Album" CD, and it is awesome.

I was lucky enough to meet Syreeta in the late 80's when she toured the UK. She recalled how disappointed both she and Stevie were with the performance of the album. I was too young to recall how well Motown did or did not promote the album in the USA but she certainly got exposure here in the Uk. I recall her appearing on "totp" and a couple of other shows. She seemed all set for superstardom. She should have been a much bigger star.

I was truly captivated by the first two albums and turned on my best friend to it, he was a casual fan but it became one of his favorites. The grand "Universe of the World" is perfect. I remember leaving The Boarding House on a high because it was one of those shows that puts you in a great mood". I stuck with "Syreeta" through the more uptempo album that included "Quick Slick".
    i thought after her hit duo with Billy Preston, that was going to be her breakthrough....and maybe then people will go back and discover her first two albums. Unfortunately, neither she or Billy got the kind of a kick a Top 5 from "With You I'm Going Again" should have provided.
    It was rare for a label to resurrect a song once it is released, but, I think the same thing happened with "I've Never Been to Me"....Motown had several songs that were released twice including "The Young Folks" by Diana Ross & The Supremes.....if anyone remembers more, it would fun to see.
    Motown was too skilled a label to let opportunities like "With You I'm Born Again". Syreeta should have been a much bigger success....almost anyone who heard her music, became fans.

I was truly captivated by the first two albums and turned on my best friend to it, he was a casual fan but it became one of his favorites. The grand "Universe of the World" is perfect. I remember leaving The Boarding House on a high because it was one of those shows that puts you in a great mood". I stuck with "Syreeta" through the more uptempo album that included "Quick Slick".
    i thought after her hit duo with Billy Preston, that was going to be her breakthrough....and maybe then people will go back and discover her first two albums. Unfortunately, neither she or Billy got the kind of a kick a Top 5 from "With You I'm Going Again" should have provided.
    It was rare for a label to resurrect a song once it is released, but, I think the same thing happened with "I've Never Been to Me"....Motown had several songs that were released twice including "The Young Folks" by Diana Ross & The Supremes.....if anyone remembers more, it would fun to see.
    Motown was too skilled a label to let opportunities like "With You I'm Born Again". Syreeta should have been a much bigger success....almost anyone who heard her music, became fans.
    Well said Bokiluis. Syreeta may have gone unappreciated by the masses but we people in the know always appreciated her and I think she knew that.

I love Syreeta's first two albums! I also remember "Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta" getting a glowing review in DownBeat Magazine. We'll can only speculate on why neither of albums were big hits. Anyway, as David Nathan says in his notes for the 2-fer reissue of "Syreeta/Stevie Wonder Presents.." from Hip-O Select/Motown, it is those first two albums where Syreeta collaborated with Stevie Wonder that define her.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 10-06-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Ah, Syreeta. Honestly, the tune I most relate to her with is "Spinnin' and Spinnin'", really grabs with those metaphors of "I don't want to be just another feather in your cap, you see" and "Just another toy that is put away" along with loopy "spinning" melody.

But, let's face it. No denying, the real greats of period, "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On", "Music of My Mind", and "Talking Book", no denying they were magnificent, Motown and in general, records, but even if Motown did not promote her, as probably the only "promotable" acts they pushed that time, may be Stevie, and Marvin, and Diana, and Jacksons, and Tempts, there's still interest, even if it may be today, rather than some of those singers' lifetimes, for those obscures, underrated / under appreciated, that just on the mystique alone, oftentimes hooks in somehow more than their bigger selling peers. I too love Syreeta. I oftentimes prefer Martha Reeves' voice [[not to say she was an obscure, but she practically was by 1968) over Diana Ross'. Sorry Smokey, but there are many times I choose on to listening to Billy Griffin first. I now have that "Fantastic Four's Lost Motown Album" CD, and it is awesome.
    Your post made me think about what happened at Capital Nashville when Garth Brooks reigned. The other acts felt that so much promotion dollars were going to Garth because of his deal that the company didn't have much left for them. I wonder if that might have been the case with Motown during this period. Perhaps the money to be spent had to go towards Stevie & Marvin & Diana & The Jacksons and what was left to launch relatively new artists didn't amount to much. Certainly, we all feel there are under appreciated albums during the mid 70s at Motown, and the case might be made that Motown just didn't have the big bucks to promote everyone.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Your post made me think about what happened at Capital Nashville when Garth Brooks reigned. The other acts felt that so much promotion dollars were going to Garth because of his deal that the company didn't have much left for them. I wonder if that might have been the case with Motown during this period. Perhaps the money to be spent had to go towards Stevie & Marvin & Diana & The Jacksons and what was left to launch relatively new artists didn't amount to much. Certainly, we all feel there are under appreciated albums during the mid 70s at Motown, and the case might be made that Motown just didn't have the big bucks to promote everyone.
    Motown was in sort of a transition period with Syreeta's album releases. Berry Gordy was no longer handling the day to day operation of Motown and artists and acts were either sinking or swimming. Aside from the Jackson 5 and the Commodore's what other act broke out in a big and lasting way during the early-mid 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Motown was in sort of a transition period with Syreeta's album releases. Berry Gordy was no longer handling the day to day operation of Motown and artists and acts were either sinking or swimming. Aside from the Jackson 5 and the Commodore's what other act broke out in a big and lasting way during the early-mid 70's?
    That's pretty much all there was in 1974: Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, Eddie Kendricks, Commodores, The Jackson 5, and Smokey Robinson. Then you had all the rest like Grover Washington Jr., Willie Hutch and Syreeta.

It was around this time that Gordy was signing up people like Bill Cosby, Pat Boone, Sammy Davis Jr., Jerry Butler, The Four Seasons, and T.G. Sheppard. As soon as Kiki Dee went to Elton John's Rocket Label, she gained a Billboard top 20 hit. As soon as Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons left the label, they also got top 10 hits. None of those artists broke out on Motown and went elsewhere.

Gordy spent most of the late 60s and 70s trying to diversify the label. He even signed The Easybeats. They recorded an album and it was never released in the U.S.. I'm thinking that at some point in the mid-late 70s, he gave up, and that's when the label refocused squarely on R&B. I don't know about the inner-workings of Motown in the 70s, but it seems like Gordy had ambitions, and the other Motown executives effectively rejected them, or didn't promote them. The nature of the business was also changing, the music was changing, and their longtime artists had left because of creative control and "creative" bookeeping.

How all of that plays into the "Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta" album flopping, i'm not sure, but it seems that the company over-extended itself at that point. It is interesting to note that, while "Spinning And Spinning" made the lower-reaches of the charts, the excellent folkie-pop single "Hamour Love" from the next year fared much better, while the album it came from "One To One" also flopped.

When did With You I'm Born Again happen? How did it fit in around the Syreeta albums? It must have perked a little bit of interest in her; that's my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    When did With You I'm Born Again happen? How did it fit in around the Syreeta albums? It must have perked a little bit of interest in her; that's my memory.
    With You I'm Born Again, according to Wikipedia, was released in December of 1979, appearing on the Fast Break soundtrack. Syreeta's Syreeta album was released at end of April 1980, and included two duets with Billy Preston but NOT With You I'm Born Again [[which I find a little bit odd). The released duet One More Time For Love, reached #72 on the R&B chart. The album reached #73 in the US and #39 on the US R&B chart. Billy Preston did include WYIBA on his 1979 album Late at Night. I don't see any indication that it helped sell that album.

Syreeta in the UK

With You I'm Born Again, according to Wikipedia, was released in December of 1979, appearing on the Fast Break soundtrack. Syreeta's Syreeta album was released at end of April 1980, and included two duets with Billy Preston but NOT With You I'm Born Again [[which I find a little bit odd). The released duet One More Time For Love, reached #72 on the R&B chart. The album reached #73 in the US and #39 on the US R&B chart. Billy Preston did include WYIBA on his 1979 album Late at Night. I don't see any indication that it helped sell that album.
    "With you I,'m Born Again" reached number 2 here in the UK and two tracks from the Stevie Wonder Presents album reached number 49 answer 12 for 'Spinnin and Spinnin "and " Your Kiss Is Sweet". I remember them all getting a lot of air play at the time along with "Harmour Love " and "It Will Come In Time" both of which also charted.
    I don't know how well the "Stevie Wonder presents"album did in the uk but with two charting singles and air play for "I'm Going Left", I would have thought it gained some sales.

Masterblaster sounds like Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,did much better in the UK,With You I'm Born Again did good here too,i also loved Syreeta's One To One Album,but again no push from Motown,Stevie produced only one track from the album,a song called Harmour Love,this was a good album too,One To One,I Don't Know,Rest Yourself,I Too Am Waiting,Tiki Tiki Danga,Don't Cry,this album was a good follow from the last,Syreeta's voice was like an Angel,she should have been a Big Star,i don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Masterblaster sounds like Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,did much better in the UK,With You I'm Born Again did good here too,i also loved Syreeta's One To One Album,but again no push from Motown,Stevie produced only one track from the album,a song called Harmour Love,this was a good album too,One To One,I Don't Know,Rest Yourself,I Too Am Waiting,Tiki Tiki Danga,Don't Cry,this album was a good follow from the last,Syreeta's voice was like an Angel,she should have been a Big Star,i don't get it.
    What is your take on why Motown didn't promote Syreeta. Was there some internal conflict most of us aren't aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    What is your take on why Motown didn't promote Syreeta. Was there some internal conflict most of us aren't aware of?
    I wonder if the same could be asked about the Stevie penned "Bad Weather" for the Supremes. Wasn't this recorded around the same time as the sessions for Syreeta's album [[1973-ish?)

Maybe Stevie was just in a cold streak?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder if the same could be asked about the Stevie penned "Bad Weather" for the Supremes. Wasn't this recorded around the same time as the sessions for Syreeta's album [[1973-ish?)

I once heard that Stevie wrote "bad weather" with Syreeta in mind because by this time rumours of Jean's departure were rife and Syreeta was once again being touted as a possible replacement for her. I'm sure Syreeta would have done a good job .

No. The 1974 Syreeta album was fantastic. You've heard it, of course.

Now, I didn't think the "Fulfillingness First Finale" album was all that great, but there were a few gems on it, and it did spawn two top 10 singles. He must have spent all of his energy on the Syreeta album. Remember, those two albums were the last ones he did with Cecil and Margouleff.

Cold streak? For the man who had released three successive million-selling albums? Naaaah lol

Both the Supremes and Syreeta were underpromoted at Motown at the time.

Cold streak? For the man who had released three successive million-selling albums? Naaaah lol

Both the Supremes and Syreeta were underpromoted at Motown at the time.
    I should have clarified myself. Yes, he released three million sellers.....but released them on HIMSELF.

When you look at Stevie has written for others, nothing really jumps out as a smash hit, with the exception of "Tears of a Clown" and "It's a Shame" prior to 1973, and "Tell Me Something Good" and "Let's Get Serious" after 1974.

http://www.steviewonder.org.uk/disco...ongwriter.html

I should have clarified myself. Yes, he released three million sellers.....but released them on HIMSELF.

When you look at Stevie has written for others, nothing really jumps out as a smash hit, with the exception of "Tears of a Clown" and "It's a Shame" prior to 1973, and "Tell Me Something Good" and "Let's Get Serious" after 1974.

Honorable mentions: "Betcha Wouldn't Hurt Me" and "Try Jah Love." Not smashes, but definitely classics.

You know I use to believe that the songs that made up this Syreeta album were originally intended for The Supremes album which was to contain "Bad Weather" back in '73.

The Syreeta album that did it for me was her 1980 release containing this and a spectacular version of the Chantels "He's Gone":

Wow Marv,i love Syreeta version of Blame It On The Sun,she co-wrote it with Stevie Wonder,i had a group back in the day,a girl another guy,and myself,we sang Bad Weather for Syreeta,after the show,and she said,she wanted Bad Weather for herself,but Stevie gave it to The Supremes,i remember Syreeta singing Blame It On The Sun live,so when she recorded it,for her album,i fell in love with it,all over again. Soulster one of the reasons,i believe Motown,didn't promote Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,or any of her music,because at Motown it's all Politics,i always break it down like this,Thelma Houston was the first solo female singer,at Motown to win a Grammy,and Motown did nothing for her,had it been one of they're other female singers,the whole would have knew she won the Grammy,i feel Syreeta got mixed up in the game of politics, at Motown.even her song writing was out standing.

Wow Marv,i love Syreeta version of Blame It On The Sun,she co-wrote it with Stevie Wonder,i had a group back in the day,a girl another guy,and myself,we sang Bad Weather for Syreeta,after the show,and she said,she wanted Bad Weather for herself,but Stevie gave it to The Supremes,i remember Syreeta singing Blame It On The Sun live,so when she recorded it,for her album,i fell in love with it,all over again. Soulster one of the reasons,i believe Motown,didn't promote Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,or any of her music,because at Motown it's all Politics,i always break it down like this,Thelma Houston was the first solo female singer,at Motown to win a Grammy,and Motown did nothing for her,had it been one of they're other female singers,the whole would have knew she won the Grammy,i feel Syreeta got mixed up in the game of politics, at Motown.even her song writing was out standing.
    When Syreeta sings or when I listen to her sing "Blame it On the Sun" all the troubles of the World just melt away..................

You had a group? That is great! We tried to have a group my senior year in high school but guys started disagreeing right from that start. LOL!

Yes Marv,i was in a lot of groups,i met one of my close friends,at Syreeta's show,when she was promotin' Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,she had no backgroung singers,so we sang the background from our seats,and Syreeta said i can tell those are real singer out there,let me tell you Syreeta was a super nice person,Marv i have to agree with you, Syreeta singing Blame It On The Sun makes you feel the troubles of the world just melts away,well put Marv,

Yes Marv,i was in a lot of groups,i met one of my close friends,at Syreeta's show,when she was promotin' Stevie Wonder Presents Syreeta,she had no backgroung singers,so we sang the background from our seats,and Syreeta said i can tell those are real singer out there,let me tell you Syreeta was a super nice person,Marv i have to agree with you, Syreeta singing Blame It On The Sun makes you feel the troubles of the world just melts away,well put Marv,
    Do you know there are so many great songs that she and others did that for some reason have never made it onto Youtube?

I remember Syreeta did a Smokey Robinson and The Miracles classic,Ooo Baby Baby, on someone jazz album,i don't remember who album it was tho.

Syreeta was really a rare vocalist. She and Minnie were on a higher plateau especially with Minnie's whistles and Syreeta's soprano whoops. They both sounded like they wouldn't have been lost on an opera... beautiful voices.
    Last edited by midnightman; 10-11-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Minnie Riperton, or does the people just didn't "get" "El Toro Negro" at the time, hahahahahaha?

You what was strange about "With You I Am Born Again"? In early 1979 , around Feb or March, Billy and Syreeta appeared on the Mike Douglas Show to debut the song. After that, you could not find it in any store because it had not been released at that point and would not be released for more than half a year later.

I see your point, though I argue there were some Wonder-produced gems on Perfect Angel that could've been pop-R&B hits but weren't because they [[Epic Records) didn't know how to market Minnie.

I hope one day Motown release all Syreeta's music on cd, like The Spell and her the album she did with G.C Cameron Rich Love,Poor Love,they sound great together.

I see your point, though I argue there were some Wonder-produced gems on Perfect Angel that could've been pop-R&B hits but weren't because they [[Epic Records) didn't know how to market Minnie.
    ^Truth! The only reason "Perfect Angel" went as far as it did is on the strength of the single mix of "Lovin' You" which doesn't even appear on the original album.

But, to be honest, I place Minnie Riperton higher than Syreeta.