[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder's Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants

This is an album that I had slept on...that is, until I saw the film a couple of years ago. I recently downloaded it; I've been missing quite a worthy addition to the Stevie canon. I find it quite arresting and delightful, full of lush, majestic and even quirky touches. How do you rate this album in relation to the Stevie oeuvre as a whole?
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-02-2015 at 10:10 AM.

I admit to not having listened to it
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This is an album that I had slept on...that is, until I saw the film a couple of years ago. I recently downloaded it; I've been missing quite a worthy addition to the Stevie canon. I find it quite arresting and delightful, full of lush, majestic and even quirky touches. How do you rate this album in relation to the Stevie oeuvre as a whole?
    I admit to not having listened to it in over 30 years. I dismissed it at the time but I shall dig it out and give it a go. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, definitely do yourself the favor, Bluebrock. It's criminally underrated, IMO.

Stevie will be appearing at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia 10/7 for the first time in 11 months. Here is information on the concert:

http://www.philly.com/philly/enterta...ly_Oct__7.html

Hope someone can get there and do a full report on this concert.

Thanks for the tip, Bill! But how do you feel about the album?
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-02-2015 at 11:47 AM.

This is an album that I had slept on...
    Every time I try to listen to it, I fall asleep.

This song is just "blooming" good:

https://youtu.be/ZMjE8jJGJ0A

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    This song is just "blooming" good:

https://youtu.be/ZMjE8jJGJ0A
    Oh, dear Lord, yes! Who's the female vocalist? Is it Melody Brewer? I don't think it's our beloved Miss Susaye....Also thrilling to hear the mighty Tátá Vega on "A Seed's a Star/Tree Medley."
    Last edited by sansradio; 10-02-2015 at 03:55 PM.

I knew you were talking about "come back as a flower". That's Syreeta singing; so lovely...................I love this album. It's one of those things that has to hit you. Such melodies, sweeping. I think people will only get the enormity of this, long into the future. xox all, and have a beautiful weekend.

This is an album that I had slept on...that is, until I saw the film a couple of years ago.
    ...just seen the film for the first time ...including Stevie's gentle soundtrack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYgue5VfGk

...enjoy

Thanks for the tip, Bill! But how do you feel about the album?
    It's been a long time since I heard the album, however, I have never heard anything by Stevie that I did not like. Wish I still had the album. Don't know what became of it.

Thanks to grapevine for posting the link; Stevie really outdid himself with the score. Miss Greene, I'm so honored that you responded! I agree with you that the album, while it may be an acquired taste, really has enormous rewards. Bill, your homework is to get reacquainted with it by any means necessary!!! Happy weekend to all.

The album showed Stevie could've been an incredible jazz instrumentalist if he wanted to. I bet he could conduct orchestras like his good friend Donny Hathaway could... like Trouble Man before, SW focused mainly on instrumentals and only had a couple songs where he actually sang. It's one of those albums from a memorable artist that you don't care if they're not singing it or not because their sound is heard loud and clear anyway. Great album.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.....

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ...It's one of those albums from a memorable artist that you don't care if they're not singing it or not because their sound is heard loud and clear anyway...
    ...I wish the sound was 'loud and clear' ...with both the LP ...and subsequent CD ...I always thought it was produced too quietly ...turning up the volume didn't improve the poor sound quality...just my thoughts...!

I remember the day that a copy was shipped into Abbey Road Studios. It was the day that I had been in the studio to help with the recording of Frank Wilson's Do I Love You for UK release.

The tapes were played and I listened on studio speakings. It was surreal. Didn't sound like that at home though!

It has some incredible ballads [[Send One Your Love, Power Flower, The Secret Life Of Plants for example). It undeservedly has a bad reputation. I've got a few alternate unreleased versions from the album which are interesting - not that we'll ever see them properly released

Yes, midnight, it's astounding that Stevie had the "vision" to execute this and do it so effectively. Grapevine, I listened solely on earbuds the first go-around; I'll have to test it out on my system to compare notes. Good story, boyfromxtown! JM27, the ballads are fantastic; "Power Flower" is a new favorite. I'm intrigued about the alternates you have!