[REMOVE ADS]

NY Times: Aretha Franklin on Singing for Pope Francis and Her Next Album

In August when she announced her "retirement", she was doing a Broadway show.

I saw Kenny Rogers is also retiring.

Aretha Franklin is planning on opening a showcase music, dance club, restaurant in Downtown Detroit.

Sorry I had missed this thread but I had just posted a video of Aretha performing for Pope Francis on the Clubhouse board.

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/6CSZdNmGuXg

From romereports.com, via YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Sorry I had missed this thread but I had just posted a video of Aretha performing for Pope Francis on the Clubhouse board.

Here it is:

From romereportds.com, via YouTube.
    Wonderful; thanks! See my PM and stay in touch -

Those reviews in the comments are not kind. Pretty overwhelmingly negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post

Here it is:

From romereports.com, via YouTube.
    She sounds great and had a some skip in her step. The little dance was entertaining.

I thought she sounded good, better than before. People are complaining because she didn't acknowledge the Pope. Perhaps they greeted/spoke privately at some point? With Aretha, what you see is what you get. She is always herself, regardless of who she's performing for. We are blessed to still have this legend with us. People should recognize before it's too late.

I love Re-Re but this is awful. Not singing, screeching!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I thought she sounded good, better than before. People are complaining because she didn't acknowledge the Pope. Perhaps they greeted/spoke privately at some point? With Aretha, what you see is what you get. She is always herself, regardless of who she's performing for. We are blessed to still have this legend with us. People should recognize before it's too late.
    I agree she sounded pretty good for 70 yo and would go see her. There were a few clips in YouTube where she wasn't at her best; so maybe she wasn't feeling well. But this performance was totally acceptable. I met her in Detroit in the late 90's and she was pleasant. She wasn't gregarious In a celebrity way, but as you said, just herself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I agree she sounded pretty good for 70 yo and would go see her. There were a few clips in YouTube where she wasn't at her best; so maybe she wasn't feeling well. But this performance was totally acceptable. I met her in Detroit in the late 90's and she was pleasant. She wasn't gregarious In a celebrity way, but as you said, just herself.

Thanks
    At 70 years of age we cannot expect Aretha to sound as good as she did in the 60's, 70's and 80's . I agree she has her good and not so good days but poor old Dionne struggles to have good days these days so we must be grateful that Aretha is still out there doing her stuff albeit in a reduced capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    At 70 years of age we cannot expect Aretha to sound as good as she did in the 60's, 70's and 80's . I agree she has her good and not so good days but poor old Dionne struggles to have good days these days so we must be grateful that Aretha is still out there doing her stuff albeit in a reduced capacity.
    You know there are clips of Dionne doing decent work recently. Isn't she going to be singing with Mary Wilson overseas? For so, hopefully someone here will post a review.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    You know there are clips of Dionne doing decent work recently. Isn't she going to be singing with Mary Wilson overseas? For so, hopefully someone here will post a review.
    I will be at one of those shows one week from today to be precise! Roberta Flack and a bogus version of the Drifters are also on the bill. The last couple of occasions I have seen Dionne live she has been disappointing so my hopes are not so high this time around. My main reasons for attending this show is to see Roberta live and also to meet and greet Mary. I have never seen Roberta live and at her advanced age this may well be my last opportunity.