[REMOVE ADS]

The Spinners doing "It's a Shame" on Soul! [[1973)

"It's a shame" we don't have footage of G.C. doing this when the song was first released. Guess the Spinners were on the verge of leaving Motown when the song came out?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

"It's a shame" we don't have footage of G.C. doing this when the song was first released. Guess the Spinners were on the verge of leaving Motown when the song came out?
    My feelings exactly. I have loved to see G. C. singing it with the group. I heard from him recently. A great guy and even greater vocalist!

Yeah I've seen performances of G.C. doing this. His voice knows no limits lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I remember it well; thanks for posting. "Soul!" was just about my favorite music show ever; so many memories. It's my belief that the cover photos of the Spinner's 1st Atlantic LP are from the SOUL! sessions -

One of my all time favourite tunes!!

I love the group

Notice they needed 2 singers to do the range that G C did.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    I love the group

Notice they needed 2 singers to do the range that G C did.

edafan

Ahh, that the first time I noticed that. Good observation Edafan. I've seen recent performance clips of "classic artists" that no longer can hit the notes and they are done by their supporting or background singers instead.

Ahh...The Spinners...I made their acquaintance in the late 50's when I performed on a talent show with them...I was about 8 years old and sang my little butt off [[either some Chuck Berry, Elvis, or Jerry Lee Lewis stuff ?) and finished off the show with my brother and cousin accompanying me on guitar and drums...I well remember a couple of high school aged doo wop type groups I hung out around and listened to harmonize during rehearsals backstage, but didn't realize until several years later when I found the program to the show my mom had saved that The Spinners were one of the groups...I still wasn't sure it was THE Spinners, but fate happened to bring me face to face with Billy and Pervis one day in the early 70's, introduced by a mutual friend...Sonny Munro's ex-wife Maxine who worked with me and called me over to meet them as they came to visit her...After some small talk about music...I asked them about The Sound...the show I performed on in the 50's...Billy and Pervis both lit up and remembered it well...even to the point of mentioning the shows producer, Ivan Bloch, who moved to New York or L.A. to produce some things and told me they had recently run into him...I'm probably one of the last people around who performed with The Spinners at such an early stage in their career...Believe it or not LOL
    Last edited by StuBass1; 09-26-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Ahh...The Spinners...I made their acquaintance in the late 50's when I performed on a talent show with them...I was about 8 years old and sang my little butt off [[either some Chuck Berry, Elvis, or Jerry Lee Lewis stuff ?) and finished off the show with my brother and cousin accompanying me on guitar and drums...I well remember a couple of high school aged doo wop type groups I hung out around and listened to harmonize during rehearsals backstage, but didn't realize until several years later when I found the program to the show my mom had saved that The Spinners were one of the groups...I still wasn't sure it was THE Spinners, but fate happened to bring me face to face with Billy and Pervis one day in the early 70's, introduced by a mutual friend...Sonny Munro's ex-wife Maxine who worked with me and called me over to meet them as they came to visit her...After some small talk about music...I asked them about The Sound...the show I performed on in the 50's...Billy and Pervis both lit up and remembered it well...even to the point of mentioning the shows producer, Ivan Bloch, who moved to New York or L.A. to produce some things and told me they had recently run into him...I'm probably one of the last people around who performed with The Spinners at such an early stage in their career...Believe it or not LOL

Now you see Stu, you just have to write a book of all these fantastic experiences you've had!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Now that's one amazing story.

Another day in the life...but I do remember the "spinners" center hubs on wheels that spun by themselves and were popular in the 50's, which was how The Spinnners came up with their name...As for books, actually, my brother could write a really good one based on his experiences in music and the legends he's worked with, but I don't think he can focus as well as me LOL...I'd probably have to write 3 books...one about music experiences, one about my NBA experiences [[didn't end all that well) LOL, and some of the most interesting characters I've met have been in the automobile business...just some outright crazy people...