[REMOVE ADS]

The Marvelettes - I Want a Guy

Yuck — and yawn.

As if it wasn't bad enough making The Supremes record this insipid number!

I guess somebody must have thought the song had potential, although for The Marvelettes it was just the B-side of "Twistin' Postman" [[which itself would have been a great song were it not for the dumb lyrics), and it gave Wanda one of her first leads.

It's marginally more listenable than the earlier [[by a year) Supremes' version, but not by much.

I could not listen to the whole song.

Lol the lyrics were really bad, right? This was more tolerable than the Supremes' original. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Lol the lyrics were really bad, right?
    I was actually referring to the "Twistin' Postman" lyrics. Musically and vocally, that song is a great rocker, and I can understand the label's wanting to capitalize on the postman theme for a follow-up [[a bad idea in itself), but a twistin' postman? Puh-leeze! No wonder it didn't chart better.

But I digress. "I Want a Guy" was just a loser song no matter how you slice it.

actually, I quite like it

Not bad but I've always thought it was not a bad song.

Isn't this the original Supremes version with only Diana on the record?

It always seemed to me that this song showed indications of the career that would follow.

On the back of the Please Mr. Postman LP, it asked that you send your favorite of the other songs to 2648 W Grand Blvd, Detroit, Mi. "I Want A Guy" was the winner & that's why its on the flip of Twistin Postman. I thought it was produced a lot better then the Supremes version.

The Marvelettes' version is still better. The Supremes sound like they would be elsewhere than singing this song lol [[hear how bored they all are with it, even Diana. Don't even SOUND like she want anyone! LOL)

Least the Marvelettes make an attempt to sound interested in a guy. Wanda can make anything sexy lol

Can't say this was ever my favorite Supremes song [[don't know how it got picked as a single). It always sounded a little awkward to me. The Marvelettes version was definitely smoother, but still, I find it a bit of an odd song.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

It always seemed to me that this song showed indications of the career that would follow.
    Interesting.
    I've never heard the song without the background vocals.
    It's actually a little easier to listen to as a solo by Diane [[which isn't saying a whole lot, but…). The background vocal arrangements were so formulaically doo-wop that they really date the song, and the harmonies are sometimes a bit dissonant in places. Without them, it's less grating, but still nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

This version sounds like it's missing more than just the background vocals. It seems unfinished to me. The released version had a heavy bass line that I don't hear in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I could not listen to the whole song.
    I made it through the Marvelettes; but not the Sups which is unlistenable. Wanda sounds good as her voice is so smooth sexy.

I have to agree with most of the above comments. There is only so much one can do with a naff song. If push came to shove I would probably pick out the Marvelettes as the slightly better version but let's be honest we are dealing with a very mediocre song here. Neither version should have seen the light of day when you analyse what was left in the vaults for decades.

Why is it naff?
    It's a song about a teenage girl wanting a steady boyfriend, sung by a teenage girl.
    It's generally what teenage girls in the early 1960s were obsessed about.
    And recorded by a record company that were living hand to mouth in a converted photographer's studio by very young and inexperienced songwriters .
    Also, I very much doubt that there were many tracks in the vaults ..the Supremes was recorded in March 1960, Marvelettes 1961
    What do you guys expect?
    Last edited by snakepit; 09-29-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Why is it naff?
    It's a song about a teenage girl wanting a steady boyfriend, sung by a teenage girl.
    It's generally what teenage girls in the early 1960s were obsessed about.
    And recorded by a record company that were living hand to mouth in a converted photographer's studio by very young and inexperienced songwriters .
    Also, I very much doubt that there were many tracks in the vaults ..the Supremes was recorded in March 1960, Marvelettes 1961
    What do you guys expect?
    Just my opinion snakepit. Just my opinion. I happen to think it is a poor song. You evidently don't and that is fine by me.

Bluerock
    I'm not suggesting it's a great song
    Just trying to bring some balance to the discussion.

Bluerock
    I'm not suggesting it's a great song
    Just trying to bring some balance to the discussion.
    Hey, you are entitled to your opinion. That is what this forum is all about. I take on board what you say about the conditions in which the recordings took place. I just happen to think both groups recorded far superior songs at this time.

Of course that the Motown forum is for [[ I am one of the few left who is interested in Motown MUSIC).
    I' d be interested in the superior songs from 1960/61
    He's Seventeen ?
    Buttered Popcorn?
    Twisting Postman?
    As I say just supplying balance ...no worries

Of course that the Motown forum is for [[ I am one of the few left who is interested in Motown MUSIC).
    I' d be interested in the superior songs from 1960/61
    He's Seventeen ?
    Buttered Popcorn?
    Twisting Postman?
    As I say just supplying balance ...no worries
    Okay okay I shall have to get my thinking cap on!! Your "suggestions" are pretty awful too I must agree!!

Man, Motown really struggled to what to do with the teenage acts that signed with them [[Supremes, Marvelettes, Stevie Wonder)! Wasn't until the J5 that they got it right with the teens lol

If you were down to your last dollar,would you buy this record or a sandwich?.....i love you wanda,but that sandwich looks pretty good!

I like both versions but the Marvelettes has the edge. It's not a classic but I'd rather listen to it than 99% of the chart music today

I think the middle eight is quite strong. My personal preference is for the Supremes' version, but that's probably only because I tend to like the first version I've heard best.

I listened to both versions and my tastes lean towards the Marvelettes version. It definitely has the "girl group" influence in the background vocal arrangements [[reminds me of the Shirelles).

you are listening to it with your modern sophisticated ears. This was the building blocks to what would come even 1 year later.

My ancient, unsophisticated ears tell me that the keyboard featured on the Marvelettes' version is an ONDIOLINE, an early kind of synthesiser, which makes it more interesting than the Supremes' version, which just uses a boring old organ. But I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    My ancient, unsophisticated ears tell me that the keyboard featured on the Marvelettes' version is an ONDIOLINE, an early kind of synthesiser, which makes it more interesting than the Supremes' version, which just uses a boring old organ. But I may be wrong.
    Probably played by Raynoma Liles Gordy