[REMOVE ADS]

‘Empire’ and ‘black-ish’ Show Why Diversity Needs to Be Deep, Not Just Broad

Just realized that Diana Ross has two top shows hoping for her skills!
    This nice article is from today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/24/ar...?ref=arts&_r=0

From what I saw last night, "Empire" is nothing but filth! She is welcome to have at it!

It ain't for the kiddies that's for sure.

[QUOTE=arr&bee;301911]It ain't for the kiddies that's for sure.[/QUOTE

Most definitely. The writer and producer of this program is treading on thin ice. I see a backlash coming and soon.

*black-ish was great last night. I'm not planning to watch 'Empire' this season, not because it's offensive but because it's over the top and silly, like a Black version of 'Dynasty'. Every single segment last season seemed to have a jaw drop moment and as a result, there were few high points for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    *black-ish was great last night. I'm not planning to watch 'Empire' this season, not because it's offensive but because it's over the top and silly, like a Black version of 'Dynasty'. Every single segment last season seemed to have a jaw drop moment and as a result, there were few high points for me.

Jerry, I have never seen Black-ish, but I did watch most of Empire last season. The first episode of season 2 was nothing but filth! If they keep going in the current direction ,that show is not going last much further. It takes promoting do whatever it takes to achieve power and money at all costs to another level. Totally disgusting.

The problem i have with empire iis that it's shown in prime time when kids are still up and watching tv,hell it's enough stuff on tv and the internet as it is that kids shouldn't see,but this is the world we live in today.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    The problem i have with empire iis that it's shown in prime time when kids are still up and watching tv,hell it's enough stuff on tv and the internet as it is that kids shouldn't see,but this is the world we live in today.
    It is ironic that 25-30 years ago The Bill Cosby Show depicted the model, modern black family. Professional parents with essentially good kids.

Fast forward to 2015 and we have a show about a black family where both parents have been in prison, involved in drugs, lies , deceit, murder! The kids are totally dysfunctional. All types of deviant activity is depicted and this show has the highest ratings?

Marv,while i'm far from being a prude or a puritan i am a grandfather and i fear for the stuff my grandkids are gonna be exposed to in the coming years.

What's odd is the fact that a lot of people went nuts over the premiere episode of 'The Muppets' this week because it is a mature parody of the television business. The flipped out to see Kermit and Miss Piggy acting mature [[much like 'Modern Family'). That show comes on at 8:00 PM. 'Empire' comes on at 9:00 PM and there's little or no concern over the impact of that show on children. My advice to them is to not let the kids watch 'The Muppets'. I'd suggest that people not watch 'Empire' but it appears that it already has an audience. I'm glad for the performers who are working on the show, but I'm not going to support it in any regard.

As I don't watch any television shows at all these past 20+ years except for reruns posted
    on youtube when I get a wild hair, I was curious to see what all the uproar was about. So
    I did just that, went to youtube and watched a bit of both shows....Well....As for blackish,
    I can see the interest in the sit com appeal of it, kind of like a flipped coin of All In The Family which I guess was inevitable....As for Empire, it's certainly raw and gritty but in this
    day and age with our ultra violent movies, video games and music and super sexed fashion
    and culture I wasn't much offended by it. I don't think it depicts much the kids today aren't
    already seeing elsewhere. I do like the music videos connected to the show. As much as I
    love Taraji P Henson, I 'd rather see her in other settings like back on the big screen...

I agree, splanky. If it's offensive, don't watch it. I'll admit that I'm done with 'Empire' after the episode last season when Jennifer Hudson was singing in a gospel choir and they interspersed gay sex scenes in with the song. If it was straight sex, I'd be put off from two people boning while a Christian choir provides the backdrop. It was clear that they were trying to be provocative, so I felt provoked and decided to watch something else this year.