[REMOVE ADS]

Kathy sledge talks to "the insider" about sister sledge not being "family" anymore

Very sad. Sister Sledge are one of my favourite female groups. Kathy has a fantastic voice and the other sisters are all the weaker without it. They need to kiss and make up. Life is too short. We are Family my ass!!

I can't find the video at that link. Can you help me?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't find the video at that link. Can you help me?
    Marv2, try this link https://celebrity.yahoo.com/video/26...023418557.html

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Thanks Glen, that worked!

Saw it. Yep! That's purty bad..................

The mighty dollar has struck again.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    The mighty dollar has struck again.
    Yep Yep
    Stairsteps
    Jacksons
    Gap Band
    DeBarge
    Sylvers
    Pointers
    Jones Girls
    ETC ETC ETC....................

From what I understand the other sisters have quite a different take on what was presented in that clip. Either way it's a shame.

The other sisters have been very quiet about this and it's a story that Kathy has been quite candid about for a few years. I wonder what is their take on it. As we all know there are always two and sometimes three sides to every story.

I read some of the court deposition . They were upset that Kathy was billing herself as Kathy Sledge AND Sister Sledge on a tour of Australia.

These family groups can't stay together for ish... ask the Delfonics' Hart brothers...

So sad for me, as Sister Sledge is a favorite from my youth. And sorry, but of the sisters Kathy has the most distinctive voice and commanding vocal range. Joni, Debbie and Kim have recorded and toured as Sister Sledge and I have faithfully purchased their recordings but it is just not the same without Kathy's voice. I can't believe this family feud was because Kathy wanted to do a solo project. I think sister Joni wasn't content just being the prettiest sister, she also wanted to sing lead vocals.

Kathy's solo career hasn't amounted to much. The solo LP was mediocre. She had one spectacular, rousing house remake of Stevie Wonder's "Another Star" but that was 20 years ago. Joni also released a solo album in 2008, but she gets to stay in the group. I hope they can put the nonsense aside and get back together one day. They reunited for the Oprah show a few years back and still have gorgeous sisterly harmonies:

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Backs...r-Sledge-Video

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    So sad for me, as Sister Sledge is a favorite from my youth. And sorry, but of the sisters Kathy has the most distinctive voice and commanding vocal range. Joni, Debbie and Kim have recorded and toured as Sister Sledge and I have faithfully purchased their recordings but it is just not the same without Kathy's voice. I can't believe this family feud was because Kathy wanted to do a solo project. I think sister Joni wasn't content just being the prettiest sister, she also wanted to sing lead vocals.

Kathy's solo career hasn't amounted to much. The solo LP was mediocre. She had one spectacular, rousing house remake of Stevie Wonder's "Another Star" but that was 20 years ago. Joni also released a solo album in 2008, but she gets to stay in the group. I hope they can put the nonsense aside and get back together one day. They reunited for the Oprah show a few years back and still have gorgeous sisterly harmonies:

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Backs...r-Sledge-Video
    I agree that Kathy was the major vocal talent of the group. The other girls had reasonable but unremarkable voices. If I had the choice I would go to see Kathy before the current group as it exists at the moment. Having said all that I would love them to bury the hatchet and get back together. Life is too short.

Bluerock, I agree, life is short. I really do hope that they get past this and mend their broken ties. They were always a great group and even looking at that Oprah clip they still look and sound great. I believe that was from 2011. I have to disagree with the interviewer saying that Kathy is Sister Sledge. She has a great voice and was the voice on the biggest hits but it was also the look and style of the other sisters that made the group what it was. This clip shows that vocally the others weren't actually punks.

Bluerock, I agree, life is short. I really do hope that they get past this and mend their broken ties. They were always a great group and even looking at that Oprah clip they still look and sound great. I believe that was from 2011. I have to disagree with the interviewer saying that Kathy is Sister Sledge. She has a great voice and was the voice on the biggest hits but it was also the look and style of the other sisters that made the group what it was. This clip shows that vocally the others weren't actually punks.
    They could all sing but for me Kathy had the standout voice. I was in love with Joni as a teenager. She was such a beautiful lady. I do hope they sort out their differences.

Also interesting is a lady on facebook started a movement that's hashtagged #wewantkathy , stating that teh sisters have shut her out of performing for the pope. the interesting thing is Kathy commented that she hopes that her sisters will find it in their hearts to do the right thing

Also interesting is a lady on facebook started a movement that's hashtagged #wewantkathy , stating that teh sisters have shut her out of performing for the pope. the interesting thing is Kathy commented that she hopes that her sisters will find it in their hearts to do the right thing
    They needed Kathy badly. Where was Debbie? Check out this clip

https://youtu.be/DfdnlyQdiB4

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    They needed Kathy badly. Where was Debbie? Check out this clip

https://youtu.be/DfdnlyQdiB4
    Yea, that wasn't their best performance and I too wonder where was Debbie. She was needed too. I noticed that Joni has been experiencing some voice issues lately.
    Last edited by glencro; 09-27-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Yea, that wasn't their best performance and I too wonder where was Debbie. She was needed too. I noticed that Joni has been experiencing some voice issues lately.
    Kathy's daughter stated in the comment section of TMZ hat Joni has some health issues which affects her voice so can't hold a note and by the look of this clip she can't. Kathy would have knocked it out the park.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Kathy's daughter stated in the comment section of TMZ hat Joni has some health issues which affects her voice so can't hold a note and by the look of this clip she can't. Kathy would have knocked it out the park.
    Yes she would. The Sisters have done themselves no favours here.

Joni, Debbie, and Kim are appearing on the NBC show THE BEST TIME EVER with Neil Patrick Harris tonight. They just sang snippets of WE ARE FAMILY and HE'S THE GREATEST DANCER. I'm not sure if they are performing any more.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Joni, Debbie, and Kim are appearing on the NBC show THE BEST TIME EVER with Neil Patrick Harris tonight. They just sang snippets of WE ARE FAMILY and HE'S THE GREATEST DANCER. I'm not sure if they are performing any more.
    I know Debbie has been doing some solo stuff recently in a more in jazzy style than her work with her sisters. The girls were over in the UK performing recently but I didn't catch them, but they do appear to be still active albeit on a less regular basis.
    A reunion with Kathy is badly needed and I hope that common sense prevails and they settle their differences.

Here's the upshot...

Debbie wasn't on stage, as she was performing out of the country. Her sisters issued a statement that their schedule was "too busy" to speak with Kathy about the Papal performance, but that they'd speak with her about a "reconciliation" in perhaps 2 weeks.

Kathy WAS NOT allowed on stage, Kathy WAS NOT allowed BACKSTAGE, nor anywhere in the area.

And if you saw the full-length video, watch what occurs at around the 24 second mark, where the stunt Sledge reached out to grab, I believe, Joni's hand, only to have her hand hang in the air, as she walked over to her sister, leaving the young lady looking a little out of synch.

I saw Kathy 2 weeks ago when she was honored at The National R&B Music Society Gala & as could be expected, Kathy was gracious as ever & had nothing negative to say about her sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Here's the upshot...

Debbie wasn't on stage, as she was performing out of the country. Her sisters issued a statement that their schedule was "too busy" to speak with Kathy about the Papal performance, but that they'd speak with her about a "reconciliation" in perhaps 2 weeks.

Kathy WAS NOT allowed on stage, Kathy WAS NOT allowed BACKSTAGE, nor anywhere in the area.

And if you saw the full-length video, watch what occurs at around the 24 second mark, where the stunt Sledge reached out to grab, I believe, Joni's hand, only to have her hand hang in the air, as she walked over to her sister, leaving the young lady looking a little out of synch.

I saw Kathy 2 weeks ago when she was honored at The National R&B Music Society Gala & as could be expected, Kathy was gracious as ever & had nothing negative to say about her sisters.
    Kathy has always behaved in a dignified manner. I have met her a few times and she is always pleasant, likeable and gracious. I can only speak from personal experience and I know there are two sides to every story but it does sound like the problem emits from Joni, Kim and Debbie's side.

Sisters Debbie, Joni and Kim have been very quiet throughout all of this but they have finally made a statement. Also, here's a pic of them from Monday night's Best Show Ever with Neil Patrick Harris. Through it all, time has still been good to the sisters
    "Let it be known we are not fighting with Kathy. Please don't believe otherwise. We love our sister and pray her healing is in motion. We have not had any part in this conversation becoming a public one. These are private, family matters. God is at work and so are we." Name:  sledgeneilpatrick.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  85.7 KB

Of course they wouldn't make it public. How could they possibly explain why their sister wasn't allowed access, much less be able to be backstage? No, they're not really "fighting" with her because one has to be on speaking terms in order to fight a little.

But the fact that they sued her in order to stop her from using any party of the name that she helped to make famous, suggests that they're not exactly innocents here & are being a bit disingenuous when issuing that statement.

A bit disingenuous? I'd say triflin!

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Of course they wouldn't make it public. How could they possibly explain why their sister wasn't allowed access, much less be able to be backstage? No, they're not really "fighting" with her because one has to be on speaking terms in order to fight a little.

But the fact that they sued her in order to stop her from using any party of the name that she helped to make famous, suggests that they're not exactly innocents here & are being a bit disingenuous when issuing that statement.
    I tend to agree with you juicefree20.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    A bit disingenuous? I'd say triflin!
    I'd agree with that, jillfoster. They "pray her healing is in motion"? They excluded their sister, the "voice" of Sister Sledge, from the biggest engagement of their 40 year history. How do you heal from that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I tend to agree with you juicefree20.
    Kathy was told that their schedule was "too busy" & that they'd get back to her to talk "reconciliation" in about 2 weeks.

Which would've been 2 weeks AFTER the appearance for the Pope, which was about 2 weeks too late for them to have done what was the morally & spiritually correct thing for them to have done.

But to her credit, Kathy doesn't disparage her sisters publicly. I saw her last on September 13th, when she was being honored by The National R&B Music Society & as usual, she had the same smile & sunny disposition.

And never once said anything negative about her sisters, nor the behind the scenes crap that began because she decided to go solo, when nothing much was happening with her career.

There were overtures made to Kathy for her to leave the group, but she never entertained it until long after the chart hits & radio play had stopped.

And suing her to prevent her from using the family name in ANY form & exclusion from the Papal Performance was the price that Kathy had to pay, for a personal decision which was made back in 1989.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 10-07-2015 at 08:54 PM.

I guess their parents are dearly departed. But one or more of them Sledge Sisters needs an *ss-whupping. I can only imagine how disappointed the rest of the family must be by this mess.

It's dirty how they did their youngest sister... she was the lead singer. Don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I guess their parents are dearly departed. But one or more of them Sledge Sisters needs an *ss-whupping. I can only imagine how disappointed the rest of the family must be by this mess.
    I think they are both deceased and I think that is just as well after what has happened. I have Lost a lot of respect for Joni, Kim and Debbie over this. Kathy was approached about a solo career in the early 80's but stayed loyal to her sisters knowing full well they would probably struggle without that unique voice. I almost wish she had bailed out at the time after what has happened.

Very sad... but Kathy should not have gone public....

How did I miss this whole debacle? Incredibly sad.

Somewhat similar to what happened to Shirley Alston when she left the Shirelles and then wanted to return. Kathys solo career did not take off other than one hit. It sounds like her sisters wanted everyone to be equal.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    How did I miss this whole debacle? Incredibly sad.
    Very sad and very unfortunate that they weren't able to handle this without going to court. After seeing the paper work that was posted online some time ago, I understood it though. It was becoming confusing for the fans and promoters. You had Sister Sledge featuring Kathy Sledge over here then you had the other members performing as Sister Sledge over there. The paper work also stated that Kathy was charging a lesser fee which was causing them to go down on their price for bookings. They are currently performing in stadiums overseas so I get it on the business end. I've always felt that Kathy was talented enough to continue as a solo artist. Even though her initial attempt failed she became comfortable standing on the shoulders of the name Sister Sledge, a name that would not be as valuable had it not been for her. All of the sisters are talented but she definitely had the voice that stood out. This clip of the sisters with 15 year old Kathy shows that her star has been shining for a long time

There was a previous thread relating to this saga in which Joni is quoted as stating that while the papal performance was arranged by the Joni, Debbie, Kim configeration, Kathy was approached to participate. According to Joni, Kathy responded days before the performance with a list of demands such as having her own dressing room, using her own band, renaming the performance as Sister Sledge featuring Kathy Sledge etc etc. Apparently the sisters thought this too much and did not pursue the matter with Kathy.

Regardless of who is right or wrong,I agree with other comments that this is a sorry saga which tends to overshadow the remarkable achievements of these 4 talented women.

From about 9 months ago...note Kathy's diplomacy at @ the 8:00 minute mark:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    From about 9 months ago...note Kathy's diplomacy at @ the 8:00 minute mark:
    Kathy is a lovely sweet lady with only positive things to say about her sisters. I am not saying she is totally blameless in all of this but i do know she would dearly love to perform with her sisters again. The current line up is a poor substitute for the Kathy led original line up, All of the girls could sing, but Kathy was by far the strongest and most distinctive voice in the group.

That was very diplomatic the way that she put the current situation of the sisters. It's interesting what Narada Michael Walden told her. I remember when she was still in her teens and Stephanie Mills was leaving the broadway production of The Wiz. Kathy was offered the role but she turned it down because of her obligation to the group. I believe that role would have possibly changed her entire destiny. The other interesting thing is I remember reading a book on ladies of disco and Joni seemed to not be very thrilled with working with Narada Michael Walden [[wish I could find the interview) but from listening to the All American Girls it was obvious that he favored her lead over theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Saw it. Yep! That's purty bad..................
    I lost respect for Kathy after watching her interview.... Some things need to be kept private. I mean what did she gain from telling this story!!

Ok now she wants to say nice things about her sisters.... I guess she now realizes how wrong she was for going public.., she made a fool of herself on The Insider.... I know some of you don't agree with me,,. But I think she was wrong!!

Over the years I've seen the various line up , however I prefer to see Joni Kim , Debbie . Kathy with two unknowns is not Sister Sledge!!!

The link doesn't work for me as well. Can someone provide a recent link?