[REMOVE ADS]

2 Words: Just Watch. "THE MOTOWN INVASION" [[2009) - Documentary/BBC4 Legends TV/1hr.

Produced & directed by James Maycock

https://youtu.be/SLW-41Nlxa0

Many, many thanks to Northernsoultrain for this YouTube posting.

Living here in the UK, I'm not particularly nationalistic/jingoistic about it, but I do get a sense of pride when we produce programmes like these about Motown...which I think are done quite well.

Of course, it wasn't just about the UK - just that, in those days at least, if you did OK in the UK, it helped with success further over in Europe.

The internet has brought us all closer together with our memories, but it's good to be able to offer programmes to the US, about their music...and in thanks, for that music

PS. we will have "Stop! in the name of love", a BBC four part miniseries in production summer 2016, about the lives of six women in contemporary London. The plot will be advanced with the use of Motown music - five songs each episode.

I remember seeing this for the first time and i thought then what a well made tribute it was.
    Well worth another view. Thank you.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  21.1 KB
    Great film! I didn't know that their 1965 tour did so badly. We all thought it was a great success and it spawned the take-off of Tamla-Motown's success. We didn't know that it, instead, it was actually The Ready-Steady-GoSpecial that did that. And in The Netherlands we had to wait even longer to get anything more than The Supremes and Four Tops.

Yes, the timing of the UK ITV 'RSG! - The Sound Of Motown' special [[April 28th 1965) was regrettable.

As stated in the film, if it could have been recorded on an earlier date, and then broadcast shortly before the tour commenced [[that is, in March, when the latest singles being promoted on the tour were released), the UK tour would most likely have seen much higher ticket sales, and also increased sales for "Ooo Baby Baby", "It's Growing", "Kiss Me Baby" and "All For You".

Artistically, the tour was a great success for the fans, and as a showcase of Motown music. In commercial terms, it was indeed a failure.

There were 43 singles released by the new Tamla Motown label, from March 1965 until the end of that year, most of which did not sell in sufficient quantities to feature on the UK Top 50 charts, let alone become Top 30 hits, which only a few did- although all the releases were featured on pirate radio stations, and some probably had respectable sales over a period of time, even if not making the chart lists. To be fair, that hit-to-release ratio may still have been much better than the output of other, much larger labels.

In 2005, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the UK tour, there was a two-part radio show titled 'The Motown Invasion' [[I seem to think that some of the material was used again for the film), a London exhibition of Motown photos, and release of the CD 'Hitsville UK', featuring tracks which would appeal to the UK market.

This film, as posted here by Methuselah2, was produced in 2009 to celebrate Motown's 50th anniversary, and used again this year as promotion to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the UK tour.

I've lost track [[no pun intended) of the number of UK national radio programmes about Motown over the years. Many are on cassettes in a drawer somewhere. I remember 'The Motown Legacy' in 1994 as being very good. One notable show recorded live in 1992 at the NEC Birmingham was 'The Giants Of Motown',featuring Edwin Starr, The Marvelettes [[Gladys Horton with two backup singers), Martha Reeves and The Vandellas [[Rosalind and Annette), The Temptations and The Four Tops.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-06-2015 at 03:31 PM.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Yes, the timing of the UK ITV 'RSG! - The Sound Of Motown' special [[April 28th 1965) was regrettable.

As stated in the film, if it could have been recorded on an earlier date, and then broadcast shortly before the tour commenced [[that is, in March, when the latest singles being promoted on the tour were released), the UK tour would most likely have seen much higher ticket sales, and also increased sales for "Ooo Baby Baby", "It's Growing", "Kiss Me Baby" and "All For You".

Artistically, the tour was a great success for the fans, and as a showcase of Motown music. In commercial terms, it was indeed a failure.

There were 43 singles released by the new Tamla Motown label, from March 1965 until the end of that year, most of which did not sell in sufficient quantities to feature on the UK Top 50 charts, let alone become Top 30 hits, which only a few did- although all the releases were featured on pirate radio stations, and some probably had respectable sales over a period of time, even if not making the chart lists. To be fair, that hit-to-release ratio may still have been much better than the output of other, much larger labels.

In 2005, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the UK tour, there was a two-part radio show titled 'The Motown Invasion' [[I seem to think that some of the material was used again for the film), a London exhibition of Motown photos, and release of the CD 'Hitsville UK', featuring tracks which would appeal to the UK market.

This film, as posted here by Methuselah2, was produced in 2009 to celebrate Motown's 50th anniversary, and used again this year as promotion to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the UK tour.

I've lost track [[no pun intended) of the number of UK national radio programmes about Motown over the years. Many are on cassettes in a drawer somewhere. I remember 'The Motown Legacy' in 1994 as being very good. One notable show recorded live in 1992 at the NEC Birmingham was 'The Giants Of Motown',featuring Edwin Starr, The Marvelettes [[featuring Gladys Horton and two backup singers), Martha Reeves and The Vandellas [[Rosalind and Annette), The Temptations and The Four Tops.
    i was there at that at NEC concert amazing to watch martha and girls rehearsing In My Lonely Room, security let us in. wonderful memories cheers

Honest Man...you, and all the others who attended that NEC concert did well for yourselves...as I believe the radio broadcast was edited.

In the broadest terms, it could be said that, over the last 50+ years, much of the sales for Motown music were achieved in the US - but the enduring love has come from the UK.

Honest Man...you, and all the others who attended that NEC concert did well for yourselves...as I believe the radio broadcast was edited.

In the broadest terms, it could be said that, over the last 50+ years, much of the sales for Motown music were achieved in the US - but the enduring love has come from the UK.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  21.1 KB
    I think there is a tremendous amount of enduring love for Motown in USA and Canada, as well, just as there is a lot of enduring love for fairly obscure '60s Soul music. The only difference is that the enduring love is on an individual basis from folks who listened to and danced to that music when it was originally released, and that there was no organised dance club cult developed from it in North America. Our numbers are endless, we are just difficult to identify, because we are sitting in our homes, not attending all nighters.

Virtually EVERYONE I knew [[with whom I was friendly - e.g. non racists) who was anywhere near my age, loved Motown music. And if they are still alive, they love it still. I don't think The UK has a monopoly on that.

Thank you to all for the insights, observations, and sentiments you've expressed. I, too, was really taken aback to learn how the 1965 UK Tour had actually turned out. I guess all those wonderful photos we've all seen over the years of Motown arriving and enjoying being in the UK on that tour, combined with those exciting and charming Tamla Motown Appreciation Society photos that have been imprinted on many of us, had us thinking a certain way when in fact, as this documentary reveals, it was a much different case. But it's enlightening to find out what really had happened and to hear how those who were there remember it and now look back on it. And how an earlier showing of READY-STEADY-GO! might have changed everything. But at least--and happily--it still aired when it did.

Here's the full clip of the MICKEY'S MONKEY finale from R-S-G!, courtesy of John1948NineC on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/A2GBs-vJOlQ

A brief snip of this tune is heard in the documentary:

Hattie Littles/IS IT TRUE [[WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT YOU)

https://youtu.be/hE_EWe0-YvA

What a great voice!

Thanks to ILMJXXX for this YouTube posting.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this show online!!! Loved every minute of it.

I blame the UK radio of the day for the failure of Motown to take so long to start making regular and sustained visits to the UK top 20. We missed out on so many great hits. It was like we were late to the party. We even overlooked 'Dancing In The Street' first time around as it only made the top 10 in 1969!

As a child I had to tune into Radio Luxembourg, whose signal quality ranged from fairly good to non-existent, in order to hear what I now know as Motown. At school my love for Motown was not shared by my classmates as no one else had heard anything other than ‘My Guy’ and the Supremes two hits ‘Where Did Our Love Go’ & ‘Baby Love’! It wasn't until 1966 that I bought my first Motown albums which were compilations, ‘Motown Magic’ & ‘Hitsville USA’. Once RSG started plugging Motown, in particular the special which was hosted by Dusty Springfield, the Motown bandwagon started to roll slowly across the UK. The pirate radio station DJ’s loved Motown too especially Tony Blackburn. When they were closed down by the government in mid 1967 Tony joined the brand new BBC Radio 1 and continued to play Motown on his breakfast show.

For a couple of years the UK Motown office then played catch up with many earlier Motown single failures being re-issued and becoming hits at the second attempt. I think that's when many young teenage Brits took Motown to their hearts and started listening to what they had missed out on in the bad old radio days. I know that’s when I discovered many ‘lost’ classics.

All of Motown’s big names had numerous UK hits, all bar one that is. The Marvelettes who once reigned supreme as Motown’s premier girl group were one hit wonders reaching #13 in the summer of 1967 with ‘When You’re Young And In Love’! They were not part of the initial UK tour in 1965 but they did come over later. ‘I’ll Keep Holding On’ should have been a massive hit in 1965 but it bombed! I may be wrong but didn’t they perform it on ‘Thank Your Lucky Stars’ and RSG! or was just played?

Motown does have a special place in the hearts of the majority of UK baby boomers, I'm no longer on my own, but I’m sure that it’s loved the world over. Maybe it’s because that the UK is such a small country that it makes our love seem bigger! I just hope that when we are gone the next generation will continue to fly the flag. Is that too much to wish for I wonder?

I concur with what Copley says.

It was just unfortunate timing, with the way UK radio was at that time.

I was stunned when someone walked into school bearing a Temptations Greatest Hits LP. It was as if I was thinking "you actually know about them? You actually LIKE them?"

My first Motown singles were Martha & The Vandellas 'Heat Wave' and 'Quicksand' on Stateside label, bought when 'Quicksand' was released. Just had to have them....and we didn't even have a record player at that time...

Yes, the Marvelettes did make personal appearances on both 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' [[I've bumped a thread on the subject) and 'Ready, Steady, Go!' programmes, to lipsync [[mime, as we called it then) to 'I'll Keep [[On) Holding On'.

I only caught the 'RSG!' broadcast , but Wanda, Gladys and Katherine were tremendous.

I believe Motown music will endure...although possibly not by way of the original recordings. I believe younger people will want to make their own interpretations and arrangements, but their work may well retain interest in the originals, even if not actively promoting them. It's always to be hoped that credit would be given to the original artists.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-08-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this show online!!! Loved every minute of it.
    My pleasure, JAMF. Glad you enjoyed it. I did, too.

Here's Martha looking terrific while on the tour:

http://www.independent.co.uk/img/rO0...c3N2YzMjB0.jpg

And with Rosalind and Betty on stage, all looking beautiful:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/56...b/p02qbl1f.jpg

Tempts on the tour:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/336xn/p02qbm68.jpg

Oops--They were not part of the tour; they were in London on promotion--correctly pointed out, immediately below, by WGB.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 09-18-2015 at 06:57 PM.

The Temptations did not feature on the tour, but they did indeed briefly visit the UK at that time, to promote 'It's Growing'.....

Thank you, WGB. You are certainly right, and I stand corrected. I was starting to blur the facts from all the photos I've seen with The Tempts in with those actually on the tour. Glad you caught my error.

Oh well, you know little old me.

Just sitting here, so very quietly on the side, with my trusty old book of facts, just waiting for the opportunity to correct ya......

Just came across this interesting, related thread from 2 years ago:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...965-a-question

Great find Methuselah. Like we say here in France "la boucle est bouclée" [[the belt is buckled) !

Great to see

Great watch, loved it, even if it was a bit sad, of course I loved it when they spoke about the Four Tops, who literately made Motown a success in England, They had more hits there than anyone on Motown and as Duke said they were almost as big as the Beatles . Their Greatest Hist album was number one for almost 20 weeks in England and Reach Out replaced Sgt. Peppers as the number one album in 67.
    Great shout out by Sir Paul on James Jamerson and kudos to the recognition of HDH.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    Great watch, loved it, even if it was a bit sad, of course I loved it when they spoke about the Four Tops, who literately made Motown a success in England, They had more hits there than anyone on Motown and as Duke said they were almost as big as the Beatles . Their Greatest Hist album was number one for almost 20 weeks in England and Reach Out replaced Sgt. Peppers as the number one album in 67.
    Great shout out by Sir Paul on James Jamerson and kudos to the recognition of HDH.

Thanks for sharing
    Sorry to be pedantic, but The Greatest Hits album was only a the top of the chart for one week. The Four Tops Hits, which was an EP, topped that chart for 22 weeks however.

I second that Emotion

wow 22 weeks at the top, is that a record in England- truly amazing.
    I agree with the Brits the Four Tops are Tops.

I think that Motown over estimated the popularity of the artists in the UK. Dave Godin , who ran the Tamla Motown appreciation society was invited to visit Hitsville in 1964 after corresponding with the company.
    He suggested that the UK would perhaps respond to a "corporate" identity...possibly along the lines of the "Mersey Sound".
    Berry Gordy and Barney Ales were very disappointed in the lack of Knowledge and awareness of the UK public and I think Godin was blamed for this, although the drive to come to the UK was probably Gordy's idea, with " my Guy and Baby Love being hits.
    I can't be certain of this, but my feeling is that Dave Godin was burnt by this experience and moved onto other soul music projects.

supremester Guest
    Well...............not REALLY......... The tour was planned before The Tempts had a hit over there and My Gil was hitting here. My Girl was #1 when they left for The UK, BG had The Tempts all over the US plugging it. When Ready Steady Go was set, he flew them over briefly to try to push the tepid release in The UK which peaked at #43- but would hit #2 in a 1992 re-release - oddly, only their 4th top ten

It's nice to see The Tops get a great amount of attention as they usually are over shadowed by DR&TS and The Tempts. In The UK, The Tops had 11 top tens Besting , The Tempts had 4, DR&TS had 9, JMC had 4, Diana Ross solo had 16

The Temptations did not feature on the tour, but they did indeed briefly visit the UK at that time, to promote 'It's Growing'.....
    Last edited by supremester; 10-12-2015 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks M2, and good to see them.

Both clearly illustrate that it is Tamla Motown, and not Tamla-Motown, as often used by writers.

A very small point, I know.......

Just 2 photos I stumbled upon:

Flo & Diana at the airport:

https://ionemichiganchronicle.files....eg?w=394&h=450

Flo, Mary, & Diana on stage:

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...214/3779_1.jpg

For Motown Eddie....

Thanks for posting the clip of 'The Motown Invasion'.

Thought this thread might also interest you

Methuselah,

Thank you you so very much. I laughed, I cried....having been to the U.K. many times, I felt like I was there again.
    David Nathan told me about so many of his experiences that I felt like how a teen must have felt during those days.
    Not nuts about the fact I have been on this earth over half a century. But what a wonderful time to have been alive! I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    i know some hardcore hip hop fans that see the early days of Def Jam and Jive similar to the Motown experience. But I still don't think anything will ever come close to the birth of the Sound of Young America coinciding with the British Invasion. I thank the heavens I've been alive to experience it.

Methuselah, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I think that Motown over estimated the popularity of the artists in the UK. Dave Godin , who ran the Tamla Motown appreciation society was invited to visit Hitsville in 1964 after corresponding with the company.
    He suggested that the UK would perhaps respond to a "corporate" identity...possibly along the lines of the "Mersey Sound".
    Berry Gordy and Barney Ales were very disappointed in the lack of Knowledge and awareness of the UK public and I think Godin was blamed for this, although the drive to come to the UK was probably Gordy's idea, with " my Guy and Baby Love being hits.
    I can't be certain of this, but my feeling is that Dave Godin was burnt by this experience and moved onto other soul music projects.

Well, why think it? He said that he was partially responsible for hyping the excitement
    and awareness.

For Motown Eddie....

Thanks for posting the clip of 'The Motown Invasion'.

Thought this thread might also interest you
    I see that "the Motown Invasion" had a thread already. My mistake. Thanks for letting me know.

No mistake made. It's always good to see something this good coming around again...because each time, it will be new to someone.......

No mistake made. It's always good to see something this good coming around again...because each time, it will be new to someone.......
    Thanks! It was sure new to me when I caught the film on YouTube the other day.