[REMOVE ADS]

'Amazing Grace': The Tortured 4-Decade History of the Aretha Franklin Film

I hope the film will be released eventually. Such a shame. Warner should be paying Aretha.

They say the sound sync lead to the shelving of the film, but I wonder if having some of the tracks overdubbed in the studio on the original release also complicated matters? Maybe at the time, they were insistent on using the same soundtrack for the film, with the overdubs, which I'm sure would have made editing and syncing of the audio even more complicated. Since the unedited audio was released years ago on CD, it may have opened the door to proceed with syncing the original audio to the film, which may have made things a little easier? It still sounds like it has been quite a struggle. Elliot even mortgaged his home!

Here is the latest trailer, posted by the Toronto Film Festival, for the screening that is now cancelled:

https://youtu.be/Kpy54w4uVr4
    Last edited by carlo; 09-05-2015 at 09:29 AM.

I don't think the overdubbing was the problem. If you listen to the undubbed versions of the recordings, there is not a very significant difference, at least not to my ears. I hear some spots where some additional background vocals were added, or where Aretha fixed a cracked note. But nothing really major.

In her book, Aretha mentions that the performances were filmed with no agreement with her in place. After the sync problems were initially found, maybe she didn't rush to come to terms. I gather now that she wants a certain amount of $$ for her image and likeness, and I don't blame her. But she really shouldn't outnegotiate herself. Even if she doesn't get the top deal that she wants, interest in the film would probably lead to future tv showings, a dvd release, and a re-release of the album. It could be this year's 20 FEET FROM STARDOM.

Thanks Reese. I didn't know the amount of overdubs were not significant, so I stand corrected. Also interesting, I just read that the screening in Toronto has not yet been stopped because the injunction only has power over the screening in the States. There is no word as of yet if they will proceed with screening in Toronto on September 10th. If there will be any remaining tickets for the general public, I will try to go and see it this week, if all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks Reese. I didn't know the amount of overdubs were not significant, so I stand corrected. Also interesting, I just read that the screening in Toronto has not yet been stopped because the injunction only has power over the screening in the States. There is no word as of yet if they will proceed with screening in Toronto on September 10th. If there will be any remaining tickets for the general public, I will try to go and see it this week, if all goes well.
    To demonstrate good faith with Aretha, it might be nice if they didn't show the film at this time, even if they may have the right to do so.

It sounds like you're close enough to Toronto to take a chance.

I agree, Reese. I am torn because as an Aretha fan, I want to respect her wishes but I also really want to see this film. I am also in the city, so it's a close walk to the theater for me.

The screenings in Chicago and Toronto have been cancelled as well.

http://variety.com/2015/film/festiva...in-1201587897/