[REMOVE ADS]

On the lighter side… The funny side of Motown LOL!!!

http://michronicleonline.com/2015/08...ide-of-motown/

There is so much more to the Motown story than is generally known. A lot of “funny stuff” happened and a lot of “weird stuff” as well.

For example…

On one occasion, Diana Ross, according to Berry Gordy’s executive assistant at the time, was being difficult, having what might be called “diva tantrums.” Well, Gordy went to her suite, made mad Motown love to her, and the queen of Motown chilled right out.

Speaking of Ross, she once got a beatdown in front of “just everybody,” including Betty LaVette and Martha Reeves, at the 20 Grand. She had been having an affair with Brian Holland, of the legendary Holland-Dozier-Holland team that wrote nearly all of the Supremes’ hits, and his wife, Sharon, wasn’t having it.

When Motown signed DeBarge, the family group from Grand Rapids, they were very young and very inexperienced — in life, let alone etiquette. The Motown record promotion man took the group to a very nice [[and expensive) restaurant. One of the group members ordered filet mignon, cut his dinner roll in half, inserted his steak, then ate it like a hamburger.

A young female singer — we’re protecting her identity — who had won a Motown recording contract as a result of placing first in a talent show presented by a local black radio station, made a promotional visit to that station. The program director said to her bluntly, “You’ll get a lot of airplay if you’ll be my woman.”

Marvin Gaye proved that he really was a “stubborn kind of fellow” when Motown acquired another male vocalist, J.J. Barnes, who sounded similar. Gaye kicked up such a fuss that nothing Barnes recorded was ever released.

Mary Wilson was doing a book signing for “Dreamgirl: My Life as a Supreme,” at a mall bookstore. A singer from Motown’s early years who wasn’t doing well slipped her a note that said, “Could you let me have $500 until we see each other again?” [[She declined.)

Motown had no intention of letting the Spinners join the A-list roster, despite their talent. To keep some money coming group members had to accept non-artist jobs, such as being chauffeurs for other Motown acts. The Spinners didn’t get their props until they signed with Atlantic Records.

Maxine Powell, who operated Motown’s finishing school, offering instruction in poise, etiquette and grooming, said many if not most of the artists were “rude, crude and from the projects.” [[Diana Ross was one of her best students.)

After one of numerous skirmishes, Martha Reeves once chased Diana Ross into a phone booth. She called Berry Gordy who told Reeves to leave her alone, regardless of the fact that Ross was the instigator. Years later, Reeves stated, “I was going to fight her.”

I truly love Diana Ross, but here’s one more. Mary Wells. Former Motown artist, was doing a show at Hart Plaza shortly after the airing of “Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever.” Backstage after the show, Wells was telling a girlfriend about Diana Ross being “high” at the taping.

The girlfriend noticed yours truly, and then in a hushed tone warned Wells that there was reporter standing right behind her. Wells paused for no more than three seconds and said defiantly, “Well, she was!”

Gladys Knight & the Pips only signed with Motown because Knight was outvoted by the Pips.

The Contours, in their heyday, were known for their acrobatic dance routines, doing songs such as their classic “Do You Love Me?”

During a show decades later, the Contours, much older now, were performing and the show was going great. One original member, caught up in the spirit of the moment, decided to do a split like in the old days.

He went down but couldn’t get back up. EMS had to be called.

The incident with Sharon Holland turned nasty. Older UK fans will remember it being reported in the TMAS newsletters.

They must have really been on top of things in those days, TMAS.

Lol Hey Marv,you really know what you're talking about,i'm sure there are more funny moments,that happen with the motown artist,more more more lol

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Lol Hey Marv,you really know what you're talking about,i'm sure there are more funny moments,that happen with the motown artist,more more more lol
    I know most of Detroit is having a good laugh and remembering today from reading Steve Holsey's column! LOL!!!!

Anyone remember Mary being asked to help a fellow Motown artist with $500.00 ? I never heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Anyone remember Mary being asked to help a fellow Motown artist with $500.00 ? I never heard that one before.
    Sounds like it was something pretty private just among those that were actually there at the time.

These are funny stories Marv! I wonder if It makes sense to have the remaining Motown Alumni write a book of humorous events that happened in the recording studio and on stage. The DeBarge story was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    These are funny stories Marv! I wonder if It makes sense to have the remaining Motown Alumni write a book of humorous events that happened in the recording studio and on stage. The DeBarge story was the best.
    I think that is a great idea. One DeBarge story that Jermaine Jackson tells is my favorite. It was their first trip to LA and how they assaulted a vending machine to get free snacks from it! LOL!!!

There's that one of Cindy Birdsong running outside during an IRA bombing with nothing on except her rain coat. LOL!!!

Hey Marv,more more more lol.come on everyone more

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I have heard this one before. I believe it was Mary Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have heard this one before. I believe it was Mary Wells.
    I know it was not Mary Wells.

1). I was at each of Mary Wilson's book signings in the Detroit area in '86 & '90, Mary Wells was not there.

2). Mary Wells lived in California during those years.

I always thought this skit from SNL was very funny.......

Attachment 9914

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I know it was not Mary Wells.

1). I was at each of Mary Wilson's book signings in the Detroit area in '86 & '90, Mary Wells was not there.

2). Mary Wells lived in California during those years.
    Okay Marv, but I do recall some incident between the two Marys taking place around this time. I am not saying it was an unsavoury incident, and I wasn't actually there at the time so I can only say what was reported in the press at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Okay Marv, but I do recall some incident between the two Marys taking place around this time. I am not saying it was an unsavoury incident, and I wasn't actually there at the time so I can only say what was reported in the press at the time.
    You may be referring to the fund raiser that Mary Wilson and A nita Baker worked on for Mary Wells.

You may be referring to the fund raiser that Mary Wilson and A nita Baker worked on for Mary Wells.
    Quite possibly. I would be telling lies if I said I could recall the incident clearly and now that you mention it Anita Baker being involved in the mix seems to ring a few bells.
    Thanks for the clarification.

There's a story of four of the temptations being loaded into a paddy wagon for disturbing the peace partying too loud,and melvin walking past them[he was a late arrival]whistling like he didn't know any of em,of course he got someone to get em out.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    There's a story of four of the temptations being loaded into a paddy wagon for disturbing the peace partying too loud,and melvin walking past them[he was a late arrival]whistling like he didn't know any of em,of course he got someone to get em out.
    Now that sounds like something I can visualize! LOL!

How about the TV commercial the Four Tops did dressed as Polar Bea rs? LOL!

Remember this one?

I remember reading one about Cindy Birdsong being petrified of the lion in the '74 photo shoot at Magic Mountain....and at one point the lion chose to "play" some attention to someone, and guess what girl he picked?

Remember this one?

I remember it fondly! Back in 1983, Saturday Night Live was still worth watching and the night Stevie Wonder was on the show was the best. You might remember this sketch from another episode of SNL featuring Eddie Murphy & Joe Piscopo.

https://youtu.be/ciZA8dol9Zk

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I remember it fondly! Back in 1983, Saturday Night Live was still worth watching and the night Stevie Wonder was on the show was the best. You might remember this sketch from another episode of SNL featuring Eddie Murphy & Joe Piscopo.

https://youtu.be/ciZA8dol9Zk
    Where is Joe Piscopo?

Where is Joe Piscopo?
    Joe Pisscapo is a big Trump fan so hes not worth discussing.