[REMOVE ADS]

Tracee Ross Recreates Work That Body 2015

I decided to recreate my Mom’s Work That Body video from 1981 as a fun experiment and a surprise for my mama! And ODE to her! While she has so, so many incredible moments to choose from, this one had an impact on me. At first I wasn’t sure why, but in true “Tracee” fashion I became a little obsessed. I like to study these things until I am clear about what I’m seeing, what it’s making me feel, and why.

I am keenly aware of how we as women [[and most specifically women of color) are presented and portrayed in media and how we present ourselves. And here was my mama from almost 30 years ago on the surface doing something that often snags me in videos today but why did I feel differently about it?

Of course it’s fun to watch because its my mom looking stupid gorgeous [[she was 36 and already had 3 kids -Rhonda, Chudney and I- by the time she shot this!! I mean, WHAT?!??!?!) and it’s a celebration of music and style and the 80’s. But, there is something more.

I was watching and thinking: why does watching this woman dancing around in barely any clothes with her tush to the camera make me feel joyful and empowered when the same kind of image in most music videos today doesn’t give me that feeling? I know this is my mom… so obviously I’m projecting a connection and I know it was a different time, it was the 80’s. But still, it didn’t feel like she was dancing as a presentation of herself or like she was offering up her bits, which I feel like most videos are these days. Often in today’s images [[moving and still), we are being objectified or we objectifying ourselves. I think it is meant to be an empowered act, a reclaiming of our bodies. But that is not always what it feels like to me. I am not intending to judge, just exploring with curiosity.

And then it hit me: My mom felt whole and connected …and in her body in this video. I have spoken before about encouraging women to shift our gaze from how we are seen to how we are seeing and, more important, feeling. And I saw a woman feeling joyful in herself as a whole being; she didn’t seem to be presenting her ass or saying look at all the ways I can make myself look appealing to YOU. She seems to be saying, “this is ME feeling good and I am strong and sexy and joyful in ME”!

So, I decided to recreate the video and try to feel the joy of being in my body while offering up tribute to my glorious mother. Hope you have as much fun watching it as I did recreating it, but most of all I hope it inspires you to find and be in the joy of your own body!

Tracee does a really good job of recreating her mothers image in this vid and looks like she is having a lot of fun in the process. Diana's body never looked in better shape.
    At times i still play this song when i am working out. Slightly different attire of course.

I love Tracee Ross almost as much as her mother [[which, to be clear, is an awful lot...)!

Diana-n-e-v-e-r looked that good...tracee is f-i-n-e!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    LOL, I have to admit there is a distinct difference between the two. Diana is so slight. Tracee is much curvier!

So, a question that is never asked; Tracee isn't married, doesn't seem to have a significant other ever. What's up with that?

"What's up with that," you ask, Jobeterob? Well, in a word--nothing. Certainly nothing of anyone else's business or concern. Or so I thought.

Perhaps she's just waiting for you. [[In which case I will look forward to her re-do video of PIECES OF ICE.)

Fine as she is she can have anybody she wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    "What's up with that," you ask, Jobeterob? Well, in a word--nothing. Certainly nothing of anyone else's business or concern. Or so I thought.

Perhaps she's just waiting for you. [[In which case I will look forward to her re-do video of PIECES OF ICE.)
    LOL!

Long tongue.

Ok, well, it's true; it's none of my or our business!

Now we're talking. Thanks for posting.

Flawless! Get it, Trae!

Tracee truly nailed "Work that Body". It cannot be said enough what a great job she has done as a mother.

I'm glad that Diana is getting to see all these things while she's here. I love that she has 4 grandchildren already.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Tracee truly nailed "Work that Body". It cannot be said enough what a great job she has done as a mother.

I'm glad that Diana is getting to see all these things while she's here. I love that she has 4 grandchildren already.
    Are you counting Evan's one "step" child?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Are you counting Evan's one "step" child?
    Rhonda has one
    Evan has one
    and I believe Chudney had 1 girl before marriage [[same guy) and then 1 now.
    But perhaps I am mistaken. Heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 08-24-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Rhonda has one
    Evan has one
    and I believe Chudney had 1 girl before marriage [[same guy) and then 1 now.
    But perhaps I am mistaken. Heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time.
    You've got it wrong, Diana has got 3 grand-children, Rhonda's son "Raif Emmanuel" [[long awaited child) from her marriage to Rodney Kendrick.

Chudney's daughter "Calloway Joy" before she tied the knot with father Joshua Faulker in Hawaii earlier this Summer.

Now Evan's new born daughter "Jagger Snow" with his marriage to Ashlee Simpson.

I know Ross the son has got a girl-friend he's been dating for quite a while now, so who knows? he might be next, I don't know about Tracee though but her private love-life is none of our business, as long as she's happy been a career woman and with her life as well.

"Callaway Lane" and not "Callaway Joy" was indeed born in 2012 before her parents nuptials. Therein lies my confusion. But hey why split hairs. It doesn't change my happiness for Diana to experience while she is here.

"Callaway Lane" and not "Callaway Joy" was indeed born in 2012 before her parents nuptials. Therein lies my confusion. But hey why split hairs. It doesn't change my happiness for Diana to experience while she is here.
    But didn't Chudney just have a second child?

So maybe 4 is right!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Tracee is indeed curvaceous and has a great physique. "The Boss" cover did turn heads. I had never heard straight men reacting like they did to that photo....after spending most of years up to that point, thin as a rail.