[REMOVE ADS]

Page 35 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 13312
    We used to have clipboards and keep a running tally of out-of-province/state license plates on cars [[Canadian Provinces, US States, Mexican States) when driving across Canada and The USA. We would bet on which out-of-area state or province would have the most by the end of the day. We did the same with foreign car makes. During the early '50s there were a LOT fewer foreign cars on the road in Canada and USA. Some British, French, German, Swedish, and a few Japanese was all. So, there were few enough to tally all of them. Each person would choose a foreign make to end up with the highest count. It was never sure which one it would be in those ancient days.

We also used to play "The License Plate Initials Game" - using 2 letters as the initials of famous people. The easiest was ANY celebrity/famous person being eligible. Harder games were only one category, such as actors, singers, sports players, or even individual sports [[e.g. only hockey or only baseball players, or only fictional characters). Naturally, pairs with an "X", "Z", or "Q" were quite difficult. You had to know your Xaviers, Zenons, Quinlans, etc. to be able to compete.
    Robb now that is a far more interesting game than we played. We would spot a nice looking car before someone else and yell "that's my car" and it became your car......LOL! No one could lay claim to the same make and model during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I seriously doubt I would last very long if I was playing today. I've got too many things on my mind to focus, even when I'm trying to relax and have a good time.
    Jerry you are going to have to learn to drink! LOL! JAI where's that hooch when we need it ? hehehehehehehe..........

Attachment 13314
    Ha!ha! I'd be a dud at that game now. I couldn't get past "D". I can't remember 5 names that were spoken, 2 minutes later! I might even forget what game we're playing after 2 turns!
    Robb, you are going to have to set aside 15 mins a day for crossword puzzles. Do them really helps your memory.

Hey guys, this is a nice memory and pretty hilarious to boot! LOL

When you didn't have to buy a new phone every week..good ol rotary dial!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    When you didn't have to buy a new phone every week..good ol rotary dial!!
    Yep, my Grannys used theirs for like 35 years before that got modern and got touch tone phones LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yep, my Grannys used theirs for like 35 years before that got modern and got touch tone phones LOL!!!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  21.1 KB
    I still have a landline phone connected by wire into the wall. I only got my first mobile phone 2 years ago [[a flip phone)-and I still have it. I don't want a smart phone. We had a rotary phone for about 45 or 50 years.

Views: 373
    I still have a landline phone connected by wire into the wall. I only got my first mobile phone 2 years ago [[a flip phone)-and I still have it. I don't want a smart phone. We had a rotary phone for about 45 or 50 years.
    OMG! Robb! LOL!!! I shouldn't laugh too hard because I still have my flip phone [[I also smart phone) from way back and it goes with me everywhere. I keep it mainly because none of the kids out there would ever want to steal it, hehehehehehehehehe! My last traditional land line, I gave up in 2007-08.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-24-2017 at 05:02 PM.

I'm not smart enough for a smart phone,and the smart phone is too smart for me,hehe!!

I'm not smart enough for a smart phone,and the smart phone is too smart for me,hehe!!
    I hate that too many people spend time looking and using their smart phones and do not talk to people much face to face in real time anymore.

I hate that too many people spend time looking and using their smart phones and do not talk to people much face to face in real time anymore.
    It comes to the point that in restaurants two people at the same table don't even speak to reach other, busy as they are with their smartphones !

I'm just like Robb, having a landline phone. I also have a cell phone that I use only to call people who don't have landline phones. The rest of the time it's sleeping [[turned off) in my car.

I was at a restaurant once when the table next to me was a father with his teenage daughter. Through their meal, the kid didn't look up one or speak to her father. When I got up to leave I wanted to take the damn phone from her and tell her that her father loves her. Get to know him.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I was at a restaurant once when the table next to me was a father with his teenage daughter. Through their meal, the kid didn't look up one or speak to her father. When I got up to leave I wanted to take the damn phone from her and tell her that her father loves her. Get to know him.
    Ralph, I've seen things like that happen. I've seen people on a packed train for over and hour 15 mins. not speak or even look at another person the whole time. The sad part is.....that is the majority people now!

I am the last in my family to only have a landline phone. I'll get a cell eventually but I choose to be free from them right now. My brother can't figure out why I don't want to enjoy texting and dealing with Facebook while I'm waiting in traffic or visiting the doctor.

And our landline phone is analog, too. Digital phones go out during power outages and we had four of those in two months this past summer. People look at me like they think I'm crazy to have no cell phone and to still drive the last car that I bought new 25 years ago. I'm ol' skool for life and proud of it.

Ralph, I've seen things like that happen. I've seen people on a packed train for over and hour 15 mins. not speak or even look at another person the whole time. The sad part is.....that is the majority people now!
    Kids text each other while sitting on the couch together. The technology has freed us from having to talk unless it's over the phone. It also permit us from looking strangers in the eye as we pass on the street. In 20 years, traditional socialization will be gone forever.

I am the last in my family to only have a landline phone. I'll get a cell eventually but I choose to be free from them right now. My brother can't figure out why I don't want to enjoy texting and dealing with Facebook while I'm waiting in traffic or visiting the doctor.

And our landline phone is analog, too. Digital phones go out during power outages and we had four of those in two months this past summer.
Views: 356
    I got my first cell phone 2 years ago, only because I was forced to. I have clients and work colleagues who have only a cell phone, and refuse to answer it or to phone others with it. They only text people, and insist that others text them, ONLY!

To continue working in my field, I was forced to have texting ability.
    I also kept my land line for emergencies, as I have a bad short-term memory, and often forget to take my flip phones with me, or set them down somewhere in the house, forgetting where they are, and can't hear them when they ring, or feel them if I leave them on vibrate [[forget to set them back on "ring").

I have a Dutch mobile phone with an additional card for Germany and one for Denmark, plus an American one I use only in USA and Canada.

Okay, how about this for "remember when"... Remember when people would call you at home on the phone when you were late for a meeting or a date and ask the mind-numbingly stupid question "Where are you?" As if they didn't just reach you on your home phone. Now they can at least ask the question in sincerity instead of simply frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    At Thanksgiving dinner this year, at one point EVERYONE AT THE TABLE was looking at their iPhones AT THE SAME TIME. Someone pointed it out and we all shook our heads. Guilty as charged.

Kids text each other while sitting on the couch together. The technology has freed us from having to talk unless it's over the phone. It also permit us from looking strangers in the eye as we pass on the street. In 20 years, traditional socialization will be gone forever.
    Jerry you are so right. If you want to keep a kid quiet now for hours, give him or her a smart phone or a tablet. Kids today have to be told to go outside and play. I have a great nephew who is 8 years old.
    I told him this past summer to go outside, find some kids and play. His response? "Play what?" LOL! Seriously, it makes me sad to see things going the way they are. Kids do not socialize much in real time anymore.

Okay, how about this for "remember when"... Remember when people would call you at home on the phone when you were late for a meeting or a date and ask the mind-numbingly stupid question "Where are you?" As if they didn't just reach you on your home phone. Now they can at least ask the question in sincerity instead of simply frustration.
    Yes I do remember that. What I hate most is when you lose or misplace something you get "Where did you leave it?" If I knew that, it wouldn't be lost! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-25-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    At Thanksgiving dinner this year, at one point EVERYONE AT THE TABLE was looking at their iPhones AT THE SAME TIME. Someone pointed it out and we all shook our heads. Guilty as charged.
    See what I'm sayin'? hehehehehehehe!

Heck it's gotten so bad that even our[turkey]had a smart phone!!

HAHAHAHA! Stop! LOL!

Yes I do remember that. What I hate most is when you lose or misplace something you get "Where were did you leave it?" If I knew that, it wouldn't be lost! LOL!!!!
    I hate that. I also hate it when people blame somebody for something that went wrong when the person clearly is feeling horrible about it. For example, if a kid left a backpack on the playground and it was gone when he went back to get it and his old man tells him "that's what you get for being stupid and leaving it."

Thanks, Pops. Really needed to hear that right now...

I heard that there's a turkey in your neck of the woods who not only has a smart phone but tweets about everything other than what's important. I heard he golfs a lot, too.

I hate that. I also hate it when people blame somebody for something that went wrong when the person clearly is feeling horrible about it. For example, if a kid left a backpack on the playground and it was gone when he went back to get it and his old man tells him "that's what you get for being stupid and leaving it."

Thanks, Pops. Really needed to hear that right now...
    Oh man, that's how it was for me. I thought that just how it was for everyone. My mother had the habit of asking me questions like "who drank the last pop/soda?" or "where did you dad say he was going?" Like he had to check in with me first! LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-26-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    i heard that there's a turkey in your neck of the woods who not only has a smart phone but tweets about everything other than what's important. I heard he golfs a lot, too.
    that's no turkey...it's a buzzard!!

Remember when mom would say..boy i'll slap you so hard,you'll think that lightning struck..haaaaaaaaa..of course if you valued your well being it was best to just shuttup!!

Remember when mom would say..boy i'll slap you so hard,you'll think that lightning struck..haaaaaaaaa..of course if you valued your well being it was best to just shuttup!!
    Or "I brought you in this world. Don't make me take you out!" or the classic "This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you"?

that's no turkey...it's a buzzard!!

More like one of those mall parking lot Seagulls that eat all the garbage.

My favorite was my father saying "and you better stop crying or I am going to give you something to cry about!". My mother's favorite was "all I do all day is say stop, quit, behave to you kids, I am leaving and going away as soon as Spring comes" LOL!

Or "I brought you in this world. Don't make me take you out!" or the classic "This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you"?
    My mom would put the "pinch-twist" on you! That's where she would pinch you on your arm, hold it, then twist it to get you to act right in public. LOL!!!!

my mom would put the "pinch-twist" on you! That's where she would pinch you on your arm, hold it, then twist it to get you to act right in public. Lol!!!!
    yeah i remember that one...ouch!!!

yeah i remember that one...ouch!!!
    Sometimes when I think about it and then how my mom is so nice and sweet now with the grandkids, I laugh myself to tears remembering how she use to be LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep,my wife spoils our grandson to death,but his father[my son]never got away with half that stuff,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep,my wife spoils our grandson to death,but his father[my son]never got away with half that stuff,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    I bet. That's because you were an "old school dad"! I am certain he is a better man for it now.

Did anyone else stare up at the sun for too long and wonder why no one else seemed to notice that it had a black disk in the middle...or am I the only one here who was ever that stupid?

Nah. You aren't the only one to do that.

Yeah. But I was only 6 or 7 when I did it.

You post just put me in a state of depression, 144man. I don't even drink but I think I'm going to get one now.

I remember as a kid facing the sun with my eyes closed and the red glow under my eye lids.

Did you ever look up at the sun as a kid while walking down the street and think that it was following you?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Did you ever look up at the sun as a kid while walking down the street and think that it was following you?
    Riding in the backseat of my Dad's car at night, I use to think that the moon was following us everywhere.

Nah. You aren't the only one to do that.
Views: 282
    Are you insinuating that Donald Trump became blind to the people's needs by looking directly at The Sun during an eclipse?

Views: 282
    Are you insinuating that Donald Trump became blind to the people's needs by looking directly at The Sun during an eclipse?
    Nah, just that you don't have to be a child to behave like one. Trump didn't become blind to the people's needs because he never cared about them.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    did anyone else stare up at the sun for too long and wonder why no one else seemed to notice that it had a black disk in the middle...or am i the only one here who was ever that stupid?
    how dare you try to be more stupid than me..wait a minute,you mean we aren't supposed to stare at the sun???....opps!!!

Remember all of those weird shaped Christmas hard candy? LOL

For those of us who get snow,remember when it always snowed on christmas? Now it's[75degrees]outside on christmas day,and whatever happened to[christmas movies on christmas eve???]now all i see are horror flicks...what the hell???????

For those of us who get snow,remember when it always snowed on christmas? Now it's[75degrees]outside on christmas day,and whatever happened to[christmas movies on christmas eve???]now all i see are horror flicks...what the hell???????
    Oh yeah it use to snow every year before Christmas and sometimes on Christmas Day. They have Christmas horror films now. It has all changed a lot and not for the better.

I remember waking up after barely being able to sleep, running down to where Mom and Dad passed out the presents under the tree, and calling my cousin to see what he got before one of us ran the six blocks to share and enjoy the day. Now, a kid couldn't go running down the street with a Hot Wheels box or Tyco racing box in his hand without getting mugged before he got past the corner. Heck, I don't even know if kids play with actual toys these days instead of computer games and cell phone apps.