[REMOVE ADS]

Page 35 of 73 FirstFirst ... 25 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey,remember standing in the back yard after the snow when the sky was light and it looked like daylight,and you'd get so cold your fingers and toes would hurt and mom would make you come inside to thaw out,haaaaaaaa..good old days!!!
    I remember playing football in an alley on one of those nights when one of our friends said "Look!" and pointed toward the sky. We looked up and a Great Snowy Owl was flying just over the five story building that was on the other side of the alley. It was one of the most beautiful things that I ever saw. It must have had a wingspan that was five feet across. In nearly 50 years since, I've never seen another one here. Things like that are awesome to little kids.

Remember when you were young enough to fall over and not be likely to break your hip in the process?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when you were young enough to fall over and not be likely to break your hip in the process?
    Oh dear 144man, can we infer from this that you have broken your hip? I do hope not! [[not for Christmas especially!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh dear 144man, can we infer from this that you have broken your hip? I do hope not! [[not for Christmas especially!!!!!)
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  21.1 KB
    The first generation of Northern Soul dancers is well into their '70s. They're still dancing at all-nighters. Bound to be some falling if they're drinking heavily, or taking drugs. Let's hope most of the oldies still out there on the floor are more prudent than they were in their 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    It was a few years ago in the January snow. I always hope we don't have a white Christmas in case I do the other one in!

Remember how big those[indoor]lights were that we put on the tree,just about everybody had a real tree in those days,some had those aluminum ones with the light that shined colors on em,yuck,where are those little hats we wore with the wool ears that folded down,those hats were warm.

Remember how big those[indoor]lights were that we put on the tree,just about everybody had a real tree in those days,some had those aluminum ones with the light that shined colors on em,yuck,where are those little hats we wore with the wool ears that folded down,those hats were warm.

Yeah, I remember those big, incandescent Christmas lights. They would get very hot and if left unattended on a live tree [[which we always had during the sixties) could catch on fire. The combination of the hot lights and real tree, however did make everything smell really nice and like Christmas with the pine scent etc.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah, I remember those big, incandescent Christmas lights. They would get very hot and if left unattended on a live tree could catch on fire.
Views: 581
    You think THAT is a fire hazard, eh? My sister married a Dane. The Danish traditional Christmas has a giant fir tree covered with lit candles, wooden figures of lots of angels, and the rest of the needles' branches are covered with paper Danish flags attached to little wood poles stuck between the needles. I'm shocked that none of my brother-in-law's family households have been burned to the ground after over 100 years of that daredevil behaviour! They drink Snaps[[Aqvavit), too. SOMEONE, who has remained reasonably sober, has to remember to snuff out the remaining burning candles before everyone goes to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 581
    You think THAT is a fire hazard, eh? My sister married a Dane. The Danish traditional Christmas has a giant fir tree covered with lit candles, wooden figures of lots of angels, and the rest of the needles' branches are covered with paper Danish flags attached to little wood poles stuck between the needles. I'm shocked that none of my brother-in-law's family households have been burned to the ground after over 100 years of that daredevil behaviour! They drink Snaps[[Aqvavit), too. SOMEONE, who has remained reasonably sober, has to remember to snuff out the remaining burning candles before everyone goes to sleep.
    Candles Robb? That's asking for trouble. I remember reading that Queen Victoria and Prince Albert had a Christmas tree decorated with candles. That is not only dangerous, but a lot of work lighting and putting them out.

I remember seeing the aluminum trees with the color wheel at people's homes in the sixties and thinking that it looked cheap, etc LOL! As far as the hat with the ears go, I bought a Russian Navy hat about 3 years ago with the flaps on it. I never take the flaps for the ears down though.

Yep,those light were very hot but nice looking and bright...remember just sitting by the tree after everyone had gone to bed?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry we also wore our shoes inside them to school. Once there, we'd pull them off in stored them in the "Cloak Room" heheheheehehehehe!
    We wore shoes in them, too. And I'd run to the coat room to get them at day's end to start the process so I could run home. Galoshes made me feel invincible in rain and snow.

I remember those hot lights. The strands we had didn't work out one light was out and when we broke them out, it was always a process to first untangle them and then figure which might had to be replaced. I also remember Dad on the ladder placing the really big lights on the house each year. Nothing elaborate like these fools these days who spend hundreds of dollars per week in electricity.

Does anybody remember putting tinsel on the tree? Mom would delicately place one string on each branch but I'd need a new box after two or three branches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember those hot lights. The strands we had didn't work out one light was out and when we broke them out, it was always a process to first untangle them and then figure which might had to be replaced. I also remember Dad on the ladder placing the really big lights on the house each year. Nothing elaborate like these fools these days who spend hundreds of dollars per week in electricity.

Does anybody remember putting tinsel on the tree? Mom would delicately place one string on each branch but I'd need a new box after two or three branches.
    Oh yeah I remember the tinsel and for some strange reason, the live trees never had the perfect shape back in those days. We'd draw a tree one way in school, but the one in the living always looked different LOL!

Yep,those light were very hot but nice looking and bright...remember just sitting by the tree after everyone had gone to bed?
    I remember being lucky to get an hour's sleep and then wondering what was in the biggest box and who it was for. Also, how quickly I threw aside the clothes as I sat with hands stretched out for the next toy. Greedy little bastard was I.

I remember being lucky to get an hour's sleep and then wondering what was in the biggest box and who it was for. Also, how quickly I threw aside the clothes as I sat with hands stretched out for the next toy. Greedy little bastard was I.
    One particular Christmas I'll never forget. Christmas 1963 when my brother were so afraid that Santa would come and find out that we weren't asleep and catch us watching him. We pulled the covers over our heads until we nearly suffocated LOL! I am pretty sure we stayed awake most of that night in bed out of excitement.

Did anyone else send their letters to Father Christmas by putting them on a fire in the fireplace?

Yep,tinsel lots of fun,being a kid was so much fun decorating the tree...[i'm such a grinch now that you couldn't pay me to decorate a tree]...one complaint-we had trouble finding christmas music on more than one radio station[sad]back in the day all the stations cranked those wonderful tunes!!

Yep,tinsel lots of fun,being a kid was so much fun decorating the tree...[i'm such a grinch now that you couldn't pay me to decorate a tree]...one complaint-we had trouble finding christmas music on more than one radio station[sad]back in the day all the stations cranked those wonderful tunes!!
    Back then it seemed like the Christmas or Holiday spirit was real and everywhere. Locally television played a part and then towns and cities had their own unique celebrations. Now it seems like the holidays are more of a chore and a brief chance to rest than anything else.

Remember when we didn't have to remember when because we were young and living it?

Remember when we didn't have to remember when because we were young and living it?
    JAI please don't do that.........LOL!

Hehehehehehe!!!

Maybe each year seems to go faster as we get older because we've forgotten more of the things that have happened during it.

Remember when you never had to take a pill or go to a doctor except for that annual checkup[but mom the fellas are outside waiting for me]and now i have pills to remind me to take the other pills[even washing em down with hooch doesn't help]come back youth come back!!!

Remember when you never had to take a pill or go to a doctor except for that annual checkup[but mom the fellas are outside waiting for me]and now i have pills to remind me to take the other pills[even washing em down with hooch doesn't help]come back youth come back!!!
    I Use to be able to fall down 2 flights of stairs and get up and go back to party. LOL!!!

Remember when Stevie Wonder was "Little...".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when Stevie Wonder was "Little...".
    Yes and thinking that he was around my age when he was really much older than me at the time LOL

I remember when the miracles[new record]was-bad girl!

I remember when the miracles[new record]was-bad girl!
    I read about that in a history book in school.........hehehehehehehe!

Hey Jerry. You are in Ohio. Do you remember the "Blue Streak" roller coaster at Cedar Point?

Yeah. I also remember the twins at Kings Island. And when the Beast opened up.

LOL. Does anybody remember when the Brady Bunch did an episode at Kings Island? I was pointing out familiar sights.

Yeah. I also remember the twins at Kings Island. And when the Beast opened up.

LOL. Does anybody remember when the Brady Bunch did an episode at Kings Island? I was pointing out familiar sights.
    I couldn't wait until every spring/summer to go to Cedar Point and ride the Blue Streak. I only got to play golf down at Kings Island when I was all grown up with my first real job after college. LOL! I remember the Brady Bunch doing the Kings Island show. I think that's back when I believed they were a real family LOL!!!!

Every Friday night, we were in front of the television watching The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family. Before that, it was Portrait of Eddie's Father on Friday nights that used to keep us glued to the screen. And when Sanford and Son hit, it was Friday night's must see TV in our household. The first serious shows that we watched were Room 222 [[whcih we already discussed) and The Mod Squad. Link Hayes was my hero.

Every Friday night, we were in front of the television watching The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family. Before that, it was Portrait of Eddie's Father on Friday nights that used to keep us glued to the screen. And when Sanford and Son hit, it was Friday night's must see TV in our household. The first serious shows that we watched were Room 222 [[whcih we already discussed) and The Mod Squad. Link Hayes was my hero.
    That was my favorite Friday night line-up from roughly 1969-72. Where did "The Ghost & Mrs Muir", "Nanny and the Professor" and "Love American Style" fit into the mix? I can't remember now, but I watched all of them regularly back in the day.

Man, I think you and I had very similar childhoods. Watched all of those. I remember the TV kids that I identified with [[which didn't include the Bradys or Partridges). Corey Baker from Julia, Eddie from Portrait, Buffy and Jody from Family Affair were all kids of my age who could have been my friends.

By the way, Love American Style was uniquely interesting to me for some reason. Do you remember that Happy Days spun off of an episode of Love American Style?

The other really unique show that I remembered from that era was Night Gallery, which I watched every week even though it scared the living crap out of me.

Man, I think you and I had very similar childhoods. Watched all of those. I remember the TV kids that I identified with [[which didn't include the Bradys or Partridges). Corey Baker from Julia, Eddie from Portrait, Buffy and Jody from Family Affair were all kids of my age who could have been my friends.

By the way, Love American Style was uniquely interesting to me for some reason. Do you remember that Happy Days spun off of an episode of Love American Style?

The other really unique show that I remembered from that era was Night Gallery, which I watched every week even though it scared the living crap out of me.
    Well Jerry we are "the Pepsi Generation" or at least the tail end of it LOL! People use to tell me and my Mom that I looked like Corey from Julia back then. I remember a song Jody sang on "A Family Affair" ....."Any Boy Can Be President". I did not think of that again until the election of Barack Obama decades later. I watched Love American Style the night they did the segment which turned into "Happy Days". "Night Gallery" is a long term favorite of mine. I watch some of the old episodes on HULU. I wished we had VCR's back in those days. The scariest episode to me was the painting of the dead uncle coming back to the house from the cemetery. It starred Ossie Davis and Roddy McDowell.

That was a good one. Night Gallery had an episode called The Boy Who Could See Tomorrow had me up all night. It was about a kid who saw the future and st the end, he saw the Sun exploding the next day. I still don't know why it bugged me so much but I remember thinking about it in school the next day.

That was a good one. Night Gallery had an episode called The Boy Who Could See Tomorrow had me up all night. It was about a kid who saw the future and st the end, he saw the Sun exploding the next day. I still don't know why it bugged me so much but I remember thinking about it in school the next day.
    You want to know scary. I fell asleep in our basement one night. It was in the Summer of 1974 and had this very clear dream of the stars falling, all of them and the moon dripping blood. It scared the s**t out of me that I still remember it all these years later. The Night of the Living Dead made it hard for me to walk home from basketball practice at night.....alone! LOL!

The worst nightmares stay with you. I had one about an old lady who killed her husband. It was brutal. I woke up facing the wall and I'd swear that I saw her walking out of the wall toward me. I fell out of bed before clearing my head and realizing that I was still half asleep. And last year, I woke up to see a spider bigger than my hand walking on the ceiling toward my bed. I wiped my eyes and still saw it coming, so I woke up my wife who thought that I had lost my mind. If those are examples of night terrors, I feel bad for people who are prone to them.

The worst nightmares stay with you. I had one about an old lady who killed her husband. It was brutal. I woke up facing the wall and I'd swear that I saw her walking out of the wall toward me. I fell out of bed before clearing my head and realizing that I was still half asleep. And last year, I woke up to see a spider bigger than my hand walking on the ceiling toward my bed. I wiped my eyes and still saw it coming, so I woke up my wife who thought that I had lost my mind. If those are examples of night terrors, I feel bad for people who are prone to them.
    Ok now that is bad. I remember as a kid I ate a almost a whole of the children's Bayer Aspirin and saw all kinds of large insects on the ceiling and flying the room. I had to stay home from school LOL! Yes, the worst nightmares stick with you.

LOL. Remember how chalky those children's aspirins used to be? They were soft and chewable and supposedly tasted like orange but they always got me to do the yuck face.

LOL. Remember how chalky those children's aspirins used to be? They were soft and chewable and supposedly tasted like orange but they always got me to do the yuck face.
    Speak for yourself. The orange flavor is what got me to eat them! LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...dang,ya'll making me remember...cod's liver oil!!!

I remember that and Castor Oil....Fletcher's Castoria and all sorts of evil witchcraft my mother subjected us to because we were rowdy boys that played rough. LOL!

Views: 323
    Yes, Cod Liver Oil, and Caster Oil!!! And that horrible sickening super sweet red cough syrup. Yeccchhh!!

Fortunately, Mom never hit me up with that. But she did surprise me by using mercuricrome on a scrape when I was expecting iodine. Good googly moogly, they ain't the same y'all!!!

Hey guys,is it me or does it seem that today all these doctors do is give-referrals,back in the day you went to the family doctor down the street and you were good.

Hey guys,is it me or does it seem that today all these doctors do is give-referrals,back in the day you went to the family doctor down the street and you were good.
    I feel that way too. My local, family doctor always has time to see me........to send me off to a referral specialist! LOL! I mean to him, everything needs an in depth look.

My mom didn't either,but it was in the medicine cabinet..whew!!

I love the old shows of course,but looking back at some of em[westerns]do you notice how bad some of the acting is,there is an episode of bonanza of all shows and the acting was kinda lame and i hate to say it,and for years this was one of my favorite episodes,i guess that as we look back with rose colored glasses some of the petals fall off,but i still wouldn't trade those times or shows for anything.