[REMOVE ADS]

Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 44 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Check this video for some nice memories of back in the day.....

Haaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv i took some of those stamps in and they gave me a[rubber]basketball...rubber!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv i took some of those stamps in and they gave me a[rubber]basketball...rubber!
    hehehehehehehehehe.......My mother use to have my brother and I wet the stamps and put them in the book so she could get things like a toaster ,blender or hair curlers that warm up LOL!!!

Did you guys play curb ball? We used to take any ball we could find, stand on opposite curbs, and throw the ball precisely in the spot where the street met the curb so it would bounce straight back to get a point. Kids in the Hood created their own games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Did you guys play curb ball? We used to take any ball we could find, stand on opposite curbs, and throw the ball precisely in the spot where the street met the curb so it would bounce straight back to get a point. Kids in the Hood created their own games.
    Not exactly, but my oldest friend and I used play a game we invented called "volleyball tennis." We volleyed a tennis ball back and forth in the street and used tennis scores. Those were the days...

Jerry? come on! Yeah! LOL! I thought every kid in America did that. Here's one. Did you guys ever race popsicle sticks down the gutter after it rained to see who's would reach the sewer first or just the end of the curb?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not exactly, but my oldest friend and I used play a game we invented called "volleyball tennis." We volleyed a tennis ball back and forth in the street and used tennis scores. Those were the days...
    Don't know that one, but I remember two favorites were "Dodge Ball" and then "Battle Ball" which was a more brutal version of Dodge Ball where the opposing team would line up against a wall [[usually brick or cement block) and the other team would throw one of those rubber balls the size of a basketball or a soccer ball as hard as they could to hit you.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry? come on! Yeah! LOL! I thought every kid in America did that. Here's one. Did you guys ever race popsicle sticks down the gutter after it rained to see who's would reach the sewer first or just the end of the curb?
    Yeah, we did that one too. That's why the opening scene in "Stephen King's 'It'" creeps me out so much.

Don't know that one, but I remember two favorites were "Dodge Ball" and then "Battle Ball" which was a more brutal version of Dodge Ball where the opposing team would line up against a wall [[usually brick or cement block) and the other team would throw one of those rubber balls the size of a basketball or a soccer ball as hard as they could to hit you.
    I had forgotten about Battle Ball. That was harsh as hell. We also played Smear the Queer, which was a version of Rugby that pitted one guy against as many as ten other kids. And don't forget 21 [[we called it Chicago), a form of basketball where you had to score a basket, follow it up with three free throws, and then try to score again. Every brother in America played that.

Yeah, we did that one too. That's why the opening scene in "Stephen King's 'It'" creeps me out so much.
    "Oh yeah I remember that scene. It also reminded me of how my Dad use to scare my brother and I by calling us down to the basement and he'd be hiding under the stairs and as we walked down, he would reach through the stairs and grab our ankles LOL!!!!

I had forgotten about Battle Ball. That was harsh as hell. We also played Smear the Queer, which was a version of Rugby that pitted one guy against as many as ten other kids. And don't forget 21 [[we called it Chicago), a form of basketball where you had to score a basket, follow it up with three free throws, and then try to score again. Every brother in America played that.
    I remember 21 and also "Around the World" where you had to make a shot from different spots on the court.

I remember 21 and also "Around the World" where you had to make a shot from different spots on the court.
    And HORSE [[or its little brother OUT).

"Oh yeah I remember that scene. It also reminded me of how my Dad use to scare my brother and I by calling us down to the basement and he'd be hiding under the stairs and as we walked down, he would reach through the stairs and grab our ankles LOL!!!!
    LOL. My Pops used to give us the "nubs", where he'd hug us and rub his face on ours before he shaved. Lord, we hated that!

Hey,did you guys take a stick,throw a rock up and it hit,like baseball?

And HORSE [[or its little brother OUT).
    We played HORSE and if short for time....PIG! LOL!!!!

Hey,did you guys take a stick,throw a rock up and it hit,like baseball?
    Yep! We use to also beg the Ice Cream boy [[the ones that rode around on a bike with a cooler attached to the front) for dry ice. We would put it our mouths and pretended we were smoking. Also put it in cups of water and it was our monster potion smoking out the top. LOL! I accidently swallowed a piece when I was 7 and had to go to the hospital.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv i think we spent some time in the children's psych ward together as kids.

Did anybody else spend time in the library, lunch room, or study hall playing penny hockey, quarter basketball, or paper football? We didn't need a lot to have fun at my schools.

You had a school library??

LOL. Yes, we did. At least in junior high school.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv i think we spent some time in the children's psych ward together as kids.
    Had to have. My brother made me believe that when you fall and crack your head, they just take the old one off and screw a new, identical one on! LOL!!!

Did anybody else spend time in the library, lunch room, or study hall playing penny hockey, quarter basketball, or paper football? We didn't need a lot to have fun at my schools.
    We played the paper football on the desks in the classroom before class started.

We had school libraries in Grade, Junior High and High School. There were also public libraries in the neighborhoods.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  21.1 KB
    You didn't have a 1-room schoolhouse for all grades????

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 291
    You didn't have a 1-room schoolhouse for all grades????
    Uh. nooooooooooooooooooooo.......LOL

Do kids play Tag, Mother May I, I Spy, Duck Duck Goose, Hide & Go Seek, or Musical Chairs anymore?

Do kids play Tag, Mother May I, I Spy, Duck Duck Goose, Hide & Go Seek, or Musical Chairs anymore?
    Of course not! Not even in Ohio and definitely not in New York. LOL! The disappearance of these games and activities are like a loss of the culture of the 20th Century thanks to technology, video games, smart phones and other electronic gadgets, kids rarely even talk to each other anymore.

Those games were a way to socialize children and encourage them to bond with others in their peer group besides their close friends. Hopefully, something has replaced that function.

Those games were a way to socialize children and encourage them to bond with others in their peer group besides their close friends. Hopefully, something has replaced that function.
    I know what you mean. I am still friends with the kids I grew up with in the sixties.

I know what you mean. I am still friends with the kids I grew up with in the sixties.
Views: 315
    I'd still have contact with my best friends from growing up in the 1950s, if they hadn't passed away. You can make deep, lasting friendships at a very young age, if you stay in the same house or neighbourhood throughout your childhood. People didn't move as much back then as they do nowadays.

Views: 315
    I'd still have contact with my best friends from growing up in the 1950s, if they hadn't passed away. You can make deep, lasting friendships at a very young age, if you stay in the same house or neighbourhood throughout your childhood. People didn't move as much back then as they do nowadays.
    I know what you mean Robb. I've lost some of my Grade School buddies and more than a few from my High School days, but whenever I run into some of the kids from the neighborhood we just pick up like it was way back then. Some, like myself have moved quite a distance from where we grew up.

MOST OF MY FRIENDS FROM BACK THEN ARE-DEAD-CRAZY[they were a little nuts back then]OR AVOIDING ME CAUSE THEY STILL OWE ME MONEY...[what is the interest on a loan of fifty cents from-1964???]

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    lol. Yes, we did. At least in junior high school.
    rich kid!!!

MOST OF MY FRIENDS FROM BACK THEN ARE-DEAD-CRAZY[they were a little nuts back then]OR AVOIDING ME CAUSE THEY STILL OWE ME MONEY...[what is the interest on a loan of fifty cents from-1964???]
    You may owe them a whole dollar by now. LOL!!!!

I really miss the friends I made in the various cities I've lived in and the ones in Canada. I can't get back to all the places it seems these days.

The sad thing is that some of those place no longer exist...sigh!!

The sad thing is that some of those place no longer exist...sigh!!
    That's true when I think of Toronto. All of the suburbs outside the city have now been annexed to Toronto.

That's true when I think of Toronto. All of the suburbs outside the city have now been annexed to Toronto.
Views: 277
    A similar situation happened in Winnipeg and Copenhagen.

Views: 277
    A similar situation happened in Winnipeg and Copenhagen.
    It's about those tax dollars I am sure.

Hey guys, here is a real Memory Booster! Be sure to scroll down the page to the bottom. So much is here:

http://thetruthnews.info/time.html

Views: 237

They're happy because they eat LARD!

Views: 237

they're happy because they eat lard!
    lol!!!!!!!

Remember "Red light, Green light, Stop!"? How about "King of the Hill"?

Remember "Red light, Green light, Stop!"? How about "King of the Hill"?
    And "Mother May I". Somebody at church told me that he was shocked a couple of weeks ago when kids in his neighborhood were playing "Red Light, Green Light". Maybe all hope is not lost.

And "Mother May I". Somebody at church told me that he was shocked a couple of weeks ago when kids in his neighborhood were playing "Red Light, Green Light". Maybe all hope is not lost.
    I would have been shocked too. I recently had one of my grand nephews who just turned 11 years old ask me "why should I go outside"....... amazing. LOL!

Remember the game "I Spy"? Being from the Detroit area we made up a game called "That's my car"! LOL

Remember the game "I Spy"? Being from the Detroit area we made up a game called "That's my car"! LOL
Views: 416
    We used to have clipboards and keep a running tally of out-of-province/state license plates on cars [[Canadian Provinces, US States, Mexican States) when driving across Canada and The USA. We would bet on which out-of-area state or province would have the most by the end of the day. We did the same with foreign car makes. During the early '50s there were a LOT fewer foreign cars on the road in Canada and USA. Some British, French, German, Swedish, and a few Japanese was all. So, there were few enough to tally all of them. Each person would choose a foreign make to end up with the highest count. It was never sure which one it would be in those ancient days.

We also used to play "The License Plate Initials Game" - using 2 letters as the initials of famous people. The easiest was ANY celebrity/famous person being eligible. Harder games were only one category, such as actors, singers, sports players, or even individual sports [[e.g. only hockey or only baseball players, or only fictional characters). Naturally, pairs with an "X", "Z", or "Q" were quite difficult. You had to know your Xaviers, Zenons, Quinlans, etc. to be able to compete.

We played a version of the states license plates game on our yearly trips to Virginia. We also played the Alphabet Game at family parties, where we'd come up with a category and name something starting with A and going as far as we could before nobody could remember all of the words or names. For example: Girls' names.

The first person would say Alicia. The next night day "Alicia, Bernice". Then, "Alicia, Bernice, Charlotte". We would get at least up to U or V before the last person would bow out.

We played a version of the states license plates game on our yearly trips to Virginia. We also played the Alphabet Game at family parties, where we'd come up with a category and name something starting with A and going as far as we could before nobody could remember all of the words or names. For example: Girls' names.

The first person would say Alicia. The next night day "Alicia, Bernice". Then, "Alicia, Bernice, Charlotte". We would get at least up to U or V before the last person would bow out.
Views: 371
    Ha!ha! I'd be a dud at that game now. I couldn't get past "D". I can't remember 5 names that were spoken, 2 minutes later! I might even forget what game we're playing after 2 turns!

I seriously doubt I would last very long if I was playing today. I've got too many things on my mind to focus, even when I'm trying to relax and have a good time.