[REMOVE ADS]

Page 33 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Cool cover marv,the only store that i can stay in all day is the record store,here in maryland we have[memory lane records]and they have everything starting at three dollars,like the time i was leaving and as i turned to go out i looked down and there was[neverending impressions]i had only been looking that it for oh[25yrs]i almost passed out,and in mint condition,there is a special thrift store warehouse near me that has hundreds of lp's and 45's from[50 cents]talk about a kid in a candy store.
    Your experience with Memory Lane reminds me of mine at this guy's Sparky's store in Denver. It was near campus so I could walk to it and spend all my money just about every week. LOL! One year in the very early 80s around Christmas i was in there and spotted the second cover version of "Meet the Supremes" album. I think he wanted $35 for it which was a HUGE amount for me as a broke ass college kid. I bought it anyway and still have it today.

Hey marv,ain't it funny how when you're in the record store price is no object cause if you got the cash you gonna buy the record.

Hey marv,ain't it funny how when you're in the record store price is no object cause if you got the cash you gonna buy the record.
    It is funny. It makes me think of what Berry Gordy use to say in his Quality Control staff meetings when deciding which records to release. He would say to them, "Would you buy this record or buy a sandwich?" LOL! I always bought the records.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember Ndugu Chancler. Have you ever bought an album solely based on the liking the cover? I bought this album by the Cars in college because of the cover. I use to see it in everybody's dorm room. LOL

We use to watch this local Detroit dance show called "The Scene". They would play records you didn't hear on the radio and a lot of techno funk music. Here's an example of a cut I heard on the show during the dance out closing segment wayyyy back in 1980. I liked it and went on a search for it.

Was the car LP "Candy O"? That put them on the map. And my dad bought "Free Your Mind... And Your Ass Will Follow" by Funkadelic, solely because the foldout revealed some girl's naked butt. Mom didn't like that purchase at all. I listened to it through headphones when I was in high school and my ears are still ringing so I know Pops didn't listen to it before or after he bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    was the car lp "candy o"? That put them on the map. And my dad bought "free your mind... And your ass will follow" by funkadelic, solely because the foldout revealed some girl's naked butt. Mom didn't like that purchase at all. I listened to it through headphones when i was in high school and my ears are still ringing so i know pops didn't listen to it before or after he bought it.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...reminds me of the time my father,who although worldly wasn't one to read a playboy mag,so when he caught me gawking[i was about nine at the time]he went off of course the mag belonged to my brother..i just looked at the pretty pictures that's all,luckily for big bro pops didn't tell moms cause she would've called an exorcist!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Was the car LP "Candy O"? That put them on the map. And my dad bought "Free Your Mind... And Your Ass Will Follow" by Funkadelic, solely because the foldout revealed some girl's naked butt. Mom didn't like that purchase at all. I listened to it through headphones when I was in high school and my ears are still ringing so I know Pops didn't listen to it before or after he bought it.
    Yes! It was "Candy-O" with the girl on the cover. LOL Remember all of those Ohio Players album covers? hmmmmmm.....LOL

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...reminds me of the time my father,who although worldly wasn't one to read a playboy mag,so when he caught me gawking[i was about nine at the time]he went off of course the mag belonged to my brother..i just looked at the pretty pictures that's all,luckily for big bro pops didn't tell moms cause she would've called an exorcist!!
    Aw man. My daddy and my Uncle John both had Playboys from back in the sixties. Uncle John even had some of the pics hung on the wall behind the bar in his basement! LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa..hey marv,remember those old sanford and son shows where aunt ester would march in with the church sisters,that would've happened if moms even sniffed a playboy mag.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa..hey marv,remember those old sanford and son shows where aunt ester would march in with the church sisters,that would've happened if moms even sniffed a playboy mag.
    Yeah I remember, but would she call someone "You fisheyed fool"? LOL! LaWanda Page ala Aunt Esther made some of the raunchiest comedy albums I've heard. She'd make the "Queens of Comedy" blush. LOL!!!

My dad had some of those. LaWanda Page, Redd Foxx, Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley were dirty as hell way before Richard Pryor took it all to the next level.

And Dad had some Raunchy Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts records, too.

My dad had some of those. LaWanda Page, Redd Foxx, Pigmeat Markham, Moms Mabley were dirty as hell way before Richard Pryor took it all to the next level.

Don't forget Wildman Steve! That was my mom's name for us whenever we'd get rowdy. 😆

Jerry, YEAH! LOL! My best buddy Kenny who's dad was cop and then became a minister had LaWanda's and we use to sneak down to their basement and listen to it when were like in the 7th grade. LOL! She was just awful LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Don't forget Wildman Steve! That was my mom's name for us whenever we'd get rowdy. ��
    I missed him. There was this other woman though. I think her name was like Rusty Blue or something like that. My dad had her album. She looked like this sophisticated cafe society type woman on the cover,but she got really raw on the album.

Her name was Rusty Warren. I just looked it up. She had a song called " "Bounce Your Boobies" LOL!!!

Yep,wildman steve was a baddd mutha[shut yo mouth,hehe]hey fellas,it's amazin that our aunts stayed in the church,but in the case of one of mine...she kept a[38]in her purse,and would use it too!!

Her name was Rusty Warren. I just looked it up. She had a song called " "Bounce Your Boobies" LOL!!!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  21.1 KB
    There was another risqué female singer, - Belle Barth. Also, Moms Mabley was no slouch in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 380
    There was another risqué female singer, - Belle Barth. Also, Moms Mabley was no slouch in that area.
    My parents loved Moms Mabley. I remember seeing her on the Ed Sullivan Show. I am not familiar with Belle Barth. I am going to look her up.

Jackie[moms]mabley was a classic...[and pretty cute in her younger days!]

Jackie[moms]mabley was a classic...[and pretty cute in her younger days!]
    I am going to find and watch a few video clips of her.

I am going to find and watch a few video clips of her.
    Make sure there aren't any kids in the room.

LOL ok Jerry. Here's a question. Was I and my brother the only ones that use to tie bath towels around our necks and pretending that they were our "super hero capes? LOL!!!!

LOL ok Jerry. Here's a question. Was I and my brother the only ones that use to tie bath towels around our necks and pretending that they were our "super hero capes? LOL!!!!
Views: 332
    No! Didn't ALL boys in North America do that between age 5 and 9, during the 1940s, '50s and '60s???

No! Didn't ALL boys in North America do that between age 5 and 9, during the 1940s, '50s and '60s???
    Ahh , Robb. I didn't know for sure. I thought we only did that in our backyard. LOL!!!

And '70s and '80s, in my case!

And '70s and '80s, in my case!
    Oh you too! That's great. I just assume kids no longer enjoyed the simple pleasures we did back in the day.

Oh you too! That's great. I just assume kids no longer enjoyed the simple pleasures we did back in the day.
    My nieces and nephews kept the tradition going in the '90s and '00s as well!

Yeah, we did that as well. We also used towels like parachutes as we jumped from our porch to the lawn.

LOL. I remember my Mom cutting holes in the bottom and sides of grocery bags so we could walk around like robots. Now, I think about that and wonder "how little were we back then?" I could barely fit inside a lawn bag these days.

My nieces and nephews kept the tradition going in the '90s and '00s as well!
    They have to be some great kids to do that with all the electronic gadgets and distractions children have today. That's why so many are overweight and anti-social I hear.

Yeah, we did that as well. We also used towels like parachutes as we jumped from our porch to the lawn.

LOL. I remember my Mom cutting holes in the bottom and sides of grocery bags so we could walk around like robots. Now, I think about that and wonder "how little were we back then?" I could barely fit inside a lawn bag these days.
    Please don't get me started with Popsicle Sticks and Sling shots LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlTPM5u2rus
    When I was a kid, my Dad had an LP of Rusty's called
    'Knocker's Up' which he hid. Of course I found it and gave a listen. I thought...big deal and went back to The Supremes. I guess it must have been considered quite risqué in it's day.

Nothing like Blowfly, huh? The first rapper with x-rated lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlTPM5u2rus
    When I was a kid, my Dad had an LP of Rusty's called
    'Knocker's Up' which he hid. Of course I found it and gave a listen. I thought...big deal and went back to The Supremes. I guess it must have been considered quite risqué in it's day.
    Lakeside! "Knocker's Up" album is still in my parents basement today! LOL! Way back when i was in high school, I'd listen to it when they weren't home. It was considered risque back then. Redd Foxx albums too.

Nothing like Blowfly, huh? The first rapper with x-rated lyrics.
    Blowfly's records they use to keep behind counter.

lol ok jerry. Here's a question. Was i and my brother the only ones that use to tie bath towels around our necks and pretending that they were our "super hero capes? Lol!!!!
    i would still do it,but my wife hid all the towels..i never have any fun!!!

i would still do it,but my wife hid all the towels..i never have any fun!!!
    hehehehehehehe...........LOL!

When I was a really little kid, I thought Miss Sue of "Romper Room" could really see me in her mirror, through the TV. LOL!!!

I solemnly swear that these pix of my great-nephew just arrived in my inbox unprompted!!!

Name:  IMG_1255.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1256.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  79.9 KB

When I was a really little kid, I thought Miss Sue of "Romper Room" could really see me in her mirror, through the TV. LOL!!!
    On my third birthday, Miss Kay [[our local Romper Room affiliate's host) said that she saw me and that I was "having a very special day today"! I have an unusual first name, so it wasn't a coincidence; my parents obviously set it up. I was elated! I'll never forget that.

I used to think that Rabbit on Captain Kangaroo was a bad guy because he always stole the captain's carrots. I would be outraged that he got away with it everyday.

I solemnly swear that these pix of my great-nephew just arrived in my inbox unprompted!!!

Name:  IMG_1255.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1256.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  79.9 KB
    Ahhhh!!!!! He is a CHAMP! I love it! LOL! My 6 month old grand nephew crawled for the first time witnessed by me and his mom.

On my third birthday, Miss Kay [[our local Romper Room affiliate's host) said that she saw me and that I was "having a very special day today"! I have an unusual first name, so it wasn't a coincidence; my parents obviously set it up. I was elated! I'll never forget that.
    Oh that is great! It is great to think that back then children still believed in things and simple things like that you described brought so much pleasure.

I just found out this week from newspaper archives that I was the only baby born at our neighborhood hospital on the Saturday I was born.

I used to think that Rabbit on Captain Kangaroo was a bad guy because he always stole the captain's carrots. I would be outraged that he got away with it everyday.
    Oh yeah he use to irritate me just like the Roadrunner and how he always outsmarted the Coyote LOL!

Some things are generational..my grandson is a huge batman fan,just like his dad was.

oh yeah he use to irritate me just like the roadrunner and how he always outsmarted the coyote lol!
    hey marv,didn't that rabbit wear glasses?

hey marv,didn't that rabbit wear glasses?
    JAI, which rabbit? LOL!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the little thief did wear glasses.

Oh yeah the rabbit on Captain Kangaroo did where glasses. LOL!

Remember him?

Attachment 13225

Hey ain't that-topo gigio?

Hey ain't that-topo gigio?
    Yes! That's him.