[REMOVE ADS]

Page 31 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 41 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

There have always been stories about razor blades and needles in apples and candy during Halloween. Our local children's still x-rays candy for free. And I remember the glass balls chipping and breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    okay, who remembers one of these?

or this?
    hey what are you doing peeking through my kitchen window,hehehe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    There have always been stories about razor blades and needles in apples and candy during Halloween. Our local children's still x-rays candy for free. And I remember the glass balls chipping and breaking.
    I remember the first we heard of people doing that to apples etc was in 1971 and that was the last year we could go out.

HECK I CAN'T GO OUT NOW WITHOUT A NOTE FROM MY SHRINK...[opps-wrong post]CARRY ON.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey what are you doing peeking through my kitchen window,hehehe!!
    Your wife's dress is lovely, if a bit over the top for washing clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember the first we heard of people doing that to apples etc was in 1971 and that was the last year we could go out.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  21.1 KB
    I went trick-or-treating starting in 1949. We got candy, apples, gum, sports cards and coins from people. We got no razor blades nor drug-laced candy. Some older boys played tricks on people who didn't give treats. Some put dogshit on their porch, just in front of the door, lit it, and yelled "fire!" The owner comes running out and steps in it. T-P-ing trees is a recent thing. We didn't do that.

HECK I CAN'T GO OUT NOW WITHOUT A NOTE FROM MY SHRINK...[opps-wrong post]CARRY ON.
    You so quazie! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 386
    I went trick-or-treating starting in 1949. We got candy, apples, gum, sports cards and coins from people. We got no razor blades nor drug-laced candy. Some older boys played tricks on people who didn't give treats. Some put dogshit on their porch, just in front of the door, lit it, and yelled "fire!" The owner comes running out and steps in it. T-P-ing trees is a recent thing. We didn't do that.
    Oh you guys were rough, The most we ever did was mark their door with a bar of soap. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    your wife's dress is lovely, if a bit over the top for washing clothes.
    that's my machine,but i don't know the lady..my wife would've worn a[mumu]!

And she would hit you over the head with a frying pan if she found a strange woman washing her clothes in your kitchen. That's justifiable homicide in at least 38 states.

And alaska!!

Remember those old and dangerous extention cords before the ones came out with curcuit breakers built in,we could've burned our houses down,hehe.

Remember those old and dangerous extention cords before the ones came out with curcuit breakers built in,we could've burned our houses down,hehe.
    yep those kind wrapped in cloth....stupid!

Hey,remember those old lamp shades made of paper and the bulb would get hot and burn a whole in it?

Hey,remember those old lamp shades made of paper and the bulb would get hot and burn a whole in it?
    Yes and those old incandescent light bulbs were as dangerous as they were inefficient!

Remember when there was no[video rentals]so after you saw a movie you actually had to wait some years before it was shown on tv?

Remember when there was no[video rentals]so after you saw a movie you actually had to wait some years before it was shown on tv?
    Yep and now with the closing of video stores across the country people will be asking: "Remember when you had to get the car, drive to the local video store and rent a movie, then take it back? LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa..yep i'm already asking that-sigh!!!

Remember when there were no names on back of athletes jerseys?

Remember when there were no names on back of athletes jerseys?
    Yes I remember from when I was a young kid.

Remember when players tossed footballs to the officials or place them on the ground after scoring a touchdown instead of making a labor issue out of being able to pull out flame throwers and burning their names into the end zone? I'm all about having fun, but there has to be some limit to what's considered to be sportsmanship.

Remember when players tossed footballs to the officials or place them on the ground after scoring a touchdown instead of making a labor issue out of being able to pull out flame throwers and burning their names into the end zone? I'm all about having fun, but there has to be some limit to what's considered to be sportsmanship.
    You're talking about the 60s and early 70s. I think the showboating started with the Dallas Cowboys towards the end of the 70s.

Perhaps, but it took off this century when Chad Muchostinko started pulling markers out of his jock strap to sign a football and toss it into the stands. I would have loved seeing his reaction if a DB popped him and signed his helmet while he was laying on the field.

With that said, Zeke jumping into the Salvation Army bucket was the funniest thing I saw in football in the last ten seasons [[possibly followed closely by Antonio Brown's twerking on Monday Night Football).

Muchostinko!!! #DEAD

Who remembers "SCTV"?

They showed it late on Friday nights in Columbus. I was laughing at John Candy, Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis and company years before they were in movies. They were so much funnier than Saturday Night Live to me.

Who remembers when you needed a gas mask to breathe in bingo halls and bowling alleys on league nights? I thought smoking was a requirement to participate back then.

They showed it late on Friday nights in Columbus. I was laughing at John Candy, Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis and company years before they were in movies. They were so much funnier than Saturday Night Live to me.
Views: 226
    I watched it. It was Second City TV, starring the cast coming from regulars at The Second City Improv Club in Toronto, while the original cast of "Saturday Night Live" came from a blending of cast members from Second City in Toronto, and Second City in Chicago. Comedy repetoire groups are my favourite type of comedy, and Second city was second only to "Monty Python's Flying Circus". Britain's "Beyond The fringe was also very funny.

I got hooked on the show first on Canadian TV and then on Denver TV in the early 80s. It came on Fri and then Sat nights:

Views: 226
    I watched it. It was Second City TV, starring the cast coming from regulars at The Second City Improv Club in Toronto, while the original cast of "Saturday Night Live" came from a blending of cast members from Second City in Toronto, and Second City in Chicago. Comedy repetoire groups are my favourite type of comedy, and Second city was second only to "Monty Python's Flying Circus". Britain's "Beyond The fringe was also very funny.
    Robb! Yes. Many of the original cast members of SCTV went on to movies or joining SNL. I am currently enjoying watching SCTV alumni Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy on their weekly series "Schitts Creek" on the CBC! They still got it. LOL!

Classic!

Who remembers when you needed a gas mask to breathe in bingo halls and bowling alleys on league nights? I thought smoking was a requirement to participate back then.
    They were smoking in Toledo, OH bowling alleys well into the 2000s. Granny and her girls did the bingo thing in the church basement. I never hung out to how things were there.

Bob and Doug McKenzie still crack me up. I watched "Strange Brew" again last month. Also Eugene Levy and John Candy as the Shmengi Brothers were great. And I still laugh thinking about Andrea Martin as Edith Prickly. That was a great comedy outfit.

Bob and Doug McKenzie still crack me up. I watched "Strange Brew" again last month. Also Eugene Levy and John Candy as the Shmengi Brothers were great. And I still laugh thinking about Andrea Martin as Edith Prickly. That was a great comedy outfit.
    Here's one of my all time best SCTV segments LOL!

Here's the Shmenge Brothers:

Jerry YES! LOL! Now that I think about it, the first time I saw SCTV was way back in 1979 on Canadian TV.

Remember when we didn't have to think so hard to remember when,hehehehe???

Like remember when you could respect the President?

Nothing in Washington will ever be the same. So many lines have been crossed... We are going to be one of those countries that has a house of representatives that throws food and gets into firefights during legislative sessions. We are a fundamentally different nation than we were six months ago.

Nothing in Washington will ever be the same. So many lines have been crossed... We are going to be one of those countries that has a house of representatives that throws food and gets into firefights during legislative sessions. We are a fundamentally different nation than we were six months ago.
    As different as day and night! Every day there is a potential crisis in government now. I don't know what's going to happen next.

Views: 225
    I have no problem remembering ANYTHING that happened when I was 3 to about 45 years old, or so. I have to think a bit to remember what happened from age 45 to55. I have to think really hard to remember what happened from 55 to 65 or so. It doesn't matter HOW hard I think about what happened 2 minutes ago to a few hours ago. I'm not going to remember it. I might as well have had amnesia for the past 7 years.

I've given up on USA. To me it's now a 3rd World country. And, I don't like the place. When my sister and brother-in-law return to live full time in Denmark, and we rent my parents' house out through a property management company, I'll have little contact with the place, other than to visit a few of my first cousins in Chicago and L.A. for one week, each, on the tail end of my 2 month visit to my sister in Winnipeg. I grew up with them in the same house, or next door, or down the street. They are like brothers and sisters to me.So, I can't throw them away. But, I wish they'd move back to Manitoba, or to The Netherlands or Denmark.

Views: 225
    I have no problem remembering ANYTHING that happened when I was 3 to about 45 years old, or so. I have to think a bit to remember what happened from age 45 to55. I have to think really hard to remember what happened from 55 to 65 or so. It doesn't matter HOW hard I think about what happened 2 minutes ago to a few hours ago. I'm not going to remember it. I might as well have had amnesia for the past 7 years.

I've given up on USA. To me it's now a 3rd World country. And, I don't like the place. When my sister and brother-in-law return to live full time in Denmark, and we rent my parents' house out through a property management company, I'll have little contact with the place, other than to visit a few of my first cousins in Chicago and L.A. for one week, each, on the tail end of my 2 month visit to my sister in Winnipeg. I grew up with them in the same house, or next door, or down the street. They are like brothers and sisters to me.So, I can't throw them away. But, I wish they'd move back to Manitoba, or to The Netherlands or Denmark.
    I understand your feelings regarding the U.S. today. It does feel like we are not making any progress, but actually going backwards.

Is it me,or does it seem like a long time ago since obama was president?

Is it me,or does it seem like a long time ago since obama was president?
    It seems like a century and a World away! It seems like complete kaos now.

Speaking of political chaos, does anyone remember the turmoil when Dr. King and Bobby Kennedy were murdered? It's the only time as a buy that I sensed something was wrong on the national scene [[beyond Viet Nam, where my uncle served and my cousin was killed). There were riots on Main Street, which was only three miles away from my home. With all of the turmoil these days, along with the easy possession of guns, I'm glad we haven't seen a repeat [[even with Kim Jong Don). I used to pray that Obama would not be shot by some crafty nut.

Yeah jerry,i was in high school during that insanity,and yes it was scary as bullets were flying and leaders were falling,my house was three blocks from where the main riots were and the national guard was posted on the corners of our block but to show you how stupid the military was back then,we would go up on the roof and just look right down on em,had we been snipers they would've been in trouble.

Speaking of political chaos, does anyone remember the turmoil when Dr. King and Bobby Kennedy were murdered? It's the only time as a buy that I sensed something was wrong on the national scene [[beyond Viet Nam, where my uncle served and my cousin was killed). There were riots on Main Street, which was only three miles away from my home. With all of the turmoil these days, along with the easy possession of guns, I'm glad we haven't seen a repeat [[even with Kim Jong Don). I used to pray that Obama would not be shot by some crafty nut.
    I do remember 1968 and feeling that the World was ending or something. I remember they sent us away to summer camp [[which they never did) we had to stay home from school at least one day after King was killed. I watched news even back then and the Vietnam War seemed real close to home to me as a 7-8 year old. I had dreams they were going to bomb our house.

Kids today can't imagine listening to the evening news to reports that "and in Viet Nam today, 559 American soldiers were reported killed in action". That was routinely reported as if the numbers didn't represent fathers, sons, brothers, and friends. Reducing them to numbers blunted the horror somehow for some, but as a kid it used to freak me out. Especially when I heard that my cousin Butchie was coming back in a coffin.

To this day, when I hear that nearly 20,000 Americans are murdered each year, I wonder what is wrong with us that everybody doesn't wonder what the **** is going on and figure out how to end it.

Anyway, I'll never forget going to see "Apocalypse Now" in 1979. It freaked me out to the point that even though I still had to register for the draft, I wondered if I would be able to go if called. Later, "Platoon" blew my mind similarly. And on the home front, if I was born 15 years sooner [[1947), I wouldn't have made it to the '70s due to civil rights issues. As it is, I'm wondering what path to take as we are headed back down the road that we already traveled.

Kids today can't imagine listening to the evening news to reports that "and in Viet Nam today, 559 American soldiers were reported killed in action". That was routinely reported as if the numbers didn't represent fathers, sons, brothers, and friends. Reducing them to numbers blunted the horror somehow for some, but as a kid it used to freak me out. Especially when I heard that my cousin Butchie was coming back in a coffin.

To this day, when I hear that nearly 20,000 Americans are murdered each year, I wonder what is wrong with us that everybody doesn't wonder what the **** is going on and figure out how to end it.

Anyway, I'll never forget going to see "Apocalypse Now" in 1979. It freaked me out to the point that even though I still had to register for the draft, I wondered if I would be able to go if called. Later, "Platoon" blew my mind similarly. And on the home front, if I was born 15 years sooner [[1947), I wouldn't have made it to the '70s due to civil rights issues. As it is, I'm wondering what path to take as we are headed back down the road that we already traveled.
    Jerry back in the Vietnam War days of the late 60s in particular, they did not have live video broadcasts etc. They had to film the battles and then have them flown back to New York to be shown on the evening news! There were no satellites. We saw these black and white grainy films of explosions, of soldiers being airlifted wounded from the field etc. That is what scared me as a kid. I had to register for the draft in either 1980 or 81 before I went back to college or I could not apply for loans, etc.

Flash forward to the late 80s and 90s and kids during that time [[especially in LA) had to worry about being shot by gangs. We did not have to worry about that at all as kids. There were no gun toting gangs around us anywhere in the 60s.

I have frequently said that I [[and you, apparently) was blessed to have been born when I was. Ten years earlier and I'd have dealt with the blowback of the Civil Rights Movement [[and probably died, with my level of rage). And ten years later and I would have dealt with the bangers and mixed-up generation that prefers to settle scores with bullets over fists [[or words).

As a teen, I was right in the sweet spot that had a glimmer of hope that hip hop was going to save the world through the unifying power of music, art, and dance. But break dancing fell by the wayside, rap battles in public spaces became shooting galleries, and graffiti artists preferred to stay on the illegal fringes of society.

Dreams of a country that I could believe in became a nightmare for most [[I didn't have it bad, personally). Hope and positivity gave way to drugs, gangs, self-hatred, a generation of children without fathers, a third of my brothers being incarcerated before they turned 30 years of age, and Donald Mother****ing Trump.

Wow. Didn't see that coming.