[REMOVE ADS]

Page 21 of 77 FirstFirst ... 11 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 31 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

I remember when British comedy was literally a foreign concept to most Americans. I"m not talking about Benny Hill who was over-the-top slapstick, because every culture has slapstick comedians. But "Monty Python's Flying Circus" was one of those things that became funny one day in your teens, as if a light finally clicked on after years of wondering why PBS was wasting air time by showing it. And once it was seen, it could not be unseen.

Even to this day, I don't think a lot of Americans get British comedy. The Edgar Wright collaborations with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are among the funniest movies of the past 15 years. John Cleese was the only one of Palin's troupe that seemed to translate into any sort of a career in Hollywood.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  21.1 KB
    I first saw "Monty Python's Flying Circus" in England in the 1970s. I liked it from the very first, as I had liked British comedy from my first views of it from the early 1950s [[mostly films). I also liked much of the early BBC TV comedy. I started liking comedy ensemble groups when they started on TV in The 1960S. I liked"Beyond The FrInge", Peter Cooke, Peter Sellers, and the rest.

Peter Sellers was one of a kind. Timing and facial expressions are hard to master in good comedy and he was so subtly in control of both. He left much too soon. But I guess we all do...

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 395
    I first saw "Monty Python's Flying Circus" in England in the 1970s. I liked it from the very first, as I had liked British comedy from my first views of it from the early 1950s [[mostly films). I also liked much of the early BBC TV comedy. I started liking comedy ensemble groups when they started on TV in The 1960S. I liked"Beyond The FrInge", Peter Cooke, Peter Sellers, and the rest.
    Did you like The Benny Hill Show? It was very popular in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Peter Sellers was one of a kind. Timing and facial expressions are hard to master in good comedy and he was so subtly in control of both. He left much too soon. But I guess we all do...
    Jerry do you remember the British comedy series "Desmond" that aired on BET around the late 80s?

Yes. And no. I have to do some Googling to remind myself of it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did you like The Benny Hill Show? It was very popular in the States.
Views: 378
    Not really. I don't really care for slapstick humour. There are a few clever double entendre gags on his show, mostly just silly slapstick. I rather like The British high-brow humour, like Monty Python, Black Adder, Good Neighbours, The Two Ronnies, Red Dwarf, To The Manor Born, Butterflys, That Was The Week That Was, As Time Goes By, and many othersthat have not aired in USA.

Benny Hill was so silly. Old episodes of his show were a huge hit in syndicated television in the US.

Benny hill was my hero.

Remember when there were no[energy lightbubs]? Just those [g.e.]bulbs which seemed to burn forever.

Maybe the ladies can relate to this memory,it seems that as the forties gave way to the fifties ladies started wearing scarves more than hats, and for much of the fifties and sixties that was the norm now it seemed that by the late sixties the younger women started to tie thier scarves back around the head as opposed to just letting it hang down in front, just another memory.

Phone booths.....haven't seen any of those in years. Are they still around? How much is a phone call if they are?

LOL. I'm the last man in North America to get a cell phone and my car broke down last week. Fortunately, the store I was visiting had a courtesy phone, but I definitely noticed how phone booths are no longer an option.

There are afew still around,but you're gonna have to go out west to the outskirts to find any.

LOL. I'm the last man in North America to get a cell phone and my car broke down last week. Fortunately, the store I was visiting had a courtesy phone, but I definitely noticed how phone booths are no longer an option.
Views: 315
    You still haven't gotten one? I thought I was last. I got my first 2 years ago. Now I have a Dutch one and a US one. I also have a Danish and a German card for my Dutch phone. So, I have 3 European numbers and one US. I didn't get a personal computer until 2001. I have no car in Europe. 2 bicycles in The Netherlands, 2 in Denmark 2 in Germany, one in Canada and one in USA

Phone booths in NYC kind of went extinct about 15 years ago........

They flew the coop in d.c. About twenty years ago,at least the classic ones that we all remember.

Views: 324
    I remember when a local call in a phone booth was 5¢ US and Canadian, and one Schilling in The UK. And a cup of coffee was 5¢ US and Canadian, and a dinner in a sit-down family dinner restaurant [[not the fancy ones) was $1 US/Can, and gasoline[[Petrol) was 17¢ a gallon[[during gas wars), and hamburgers [[greaseburgers[[in those first awful chains) were as low as 9¢ in the wars.

Comic books were 10¢ from 1938-1962. What a bargain! Daily newspapers were 10¢, and the Sunday was 20¢ and then 25¢.

But we have to remember that mothers didn't work back then [[except during The War), and that a father's good weekly salary was $50-$60 US/Can.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-11-2016 at 03:52 AM.

I remember when a local call in a phone booth was 5¢ US and Canadian, and one Schilling in The UK. And a cup of coffee was 5¢ US and Canadian, and a dinner in a sit-down family dinner restaurant [[not the fancy ones) was $1 US/Can, and gasoline[[Petrol) was 17¢ a gallon[[during gas wars), and hamburgers [[greaseburgers[[in those first awful chains) were as low as 9¢ in the wars.

Comic books were 10¢ from 1938-1962. What a bargain! Daily newspapers were 10¢, and the Sunday was 20¢ and then 25¢.

But we have to remember that mothers didn't work back then [[except during The War), and that a father's good weekly salary was $50-$60 US/Can.
    Robb, amazing low prices. I remember when we were kids and we'd go on our summer trip in the car you see old, faded signs and billboards that had some of those prices on them.

But we have to remember that mothers didn't work back then [[except during The War),
    This is a myth that needs to go away. I suppose a lot of mothers didn't work outside the home, but in my world, which was military, mothers did indeed have jobs/careers, and there were a lot of single mothers, too, by way of divorce or being widowed.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    This is a myth that needs to go away. I suppose a lot of mothers didn't work outside the home, but in my world, which was military, mothers did indeed have jobs/careers, and there were a lot of single mothers, too, by way of divorce or being widowed.
    I am guessing he means, woman did not hold what are considered "career jobs". Some black women always worked in many cases as domestics, etc.

Views: 340
    When I was a kid in the late 1940s and early '50s almost NOBODY was getting divorced. For a couple years after the war, late 1945 to early 1947, there were still a fair amount of women working in industry, while there were still a lot of soldiers in the military, but by 1948, there weren't all that many. In two-parent households, the mother was mostly home.

In the black households of the fifties-sixties both parents worked for the most part,many black women[including my dear mother]worked as domestics.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    In the black households of the fifties-sixties both parents worked for the most part,many black women[including my dear mother]worked as domestics.
    Exactly. My mom was home with us all the time. Three years after she had my youngest brother, she started teaching. That was in 1970.

Views: 302
    Sorry, I didn't mean to negate people's experience. My statement was meant more as comparing overall societal numbers from those faraway times to now. More than double the % of women working outside the home now, as did way back then.

Views: 302
    Sorry, I didn't mean to negate people's experience. My statement was meant more as comparing overall societal numbers from those faraway times to now. More than double the % of women working outside the home now, as did way back then.
    Also, here in America the divorce rate is more than 50% now.

I remember when my brother and I would ride the bus downtown for a quarter. We'd go to a book dealer and buy new comics for twelve cents and coverless cut-outs for a nickel. Annual double issues went for a quarter. On the way home, we'd get off the bus one stop short of home and buy candy bars and bag of chips for a dime each and a can of Shasta for a quarter. A whole busy day [[with snacks included) for two boys and less than four dollars. That was somewhere around 1972-1974.

I remember when my brother and I would ride the bus downtown for a quarter. We'd go to a book dealer and buy new comics for twelve cents and coverless cut-outs for a nickel. Annual double issues went for a quarter. On the way home, we'd get off the bus one stop short of home and buy candy bars and bag of chips for a dime each and a can of Shasta for a quarter. A whole busy day [[with snacks included) for two boys and less than four dollars. That was somewhere around 1972-1974.
    We did stuff like that, but instead of Shasta it was Faygo Pop! LOL!

Views: 340
    When I was a kid in the late 1940s and early '50s almost NOBODY was getting divorced. For a couple years after the war, late 1945 to early 1947, there were still a fair amount of women working in industry, while there were still a lot of soldiers in the military, but by 1948, there weren't all that many. In two-parent households, the mother was mostly home.
    Well, that's your personal experience, but trust me, divorce was happenin' all over the country in the 50s and 60s.

A lot of people didn't get divorced, but to say no one did is a myth.

I am guessing he means, woman did not hold what are considered "career jobs". Some black women always worked in many cases as domestics, etc.
    Well, if that's what he means, he's wrong.

Well, my mother was a professional, [[don't know how she attained that status), but I have opportunities to talk to a lot of women in their 80s, and many, many of them tell me, both Black and White that they were in professional positions in the 5os. Why do you think people make fun of TV shows like "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie & Harriet"? Because it wasn't always true! That was Hollywood!

We did stuff like that, but instead of Shasta it was Faygo Pop! LOL!
    I miss Shasta soda and Canada Dry Tiki Punch on the 4th of July!

My brother is addicted to Tahitian Treat. He's loved that stuff since discovering it in high school. I rarely drink soda, but I'll take it before nearly any other flavor.

I miss Shasta soda and Canada Dry Tiki Punch on the 4th of July!
    You would love Vernor's Ginger Ale.......Detroit's Ginger Ale! LOL!

Well, my mother was a professional, [[don't know how she attained that status), but I have opportunities to talk to a lot of women in their 80s, and many, many of them tell me, both Black and White that they were in professional positions in the 5os. Why do you think people make fun of TV shows like "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie & Harriet"? Because it wasn't always true! That was Hollywood!
    Heck television husband and wives didn't even sleep in the same bed, hehehehehehehe!

Well, that's your personal experience, but trust me, divorce was happenin' all over the country in the 50s and 60s.

A lot of people didn't get divorced, but to say no one did is a myth.
Views: 295
    I was talking mainly about the late 1940s and very beginning of the 1950s. The amount of divorces then was very small compared to even the mid '50s and late '50s, and the late '50s was very small compared to the '60s.

Divorces started in any kind of numbers in the early mid '50s. Before then, it was pretty rare. Also, I grew up in Canada, so we were behind USA in most of those things. But, my general statements work for USA, too.

Views: 290
    When I was young a bag of chips was a nickle, a big chocolate bar was a nickle and a soda was a dime. You could stay all day in the movie show for a quarter.

My brother is addicted to Tahitian Treat. He's loved that stuff since discovering it in high school. I rarely drink soda, but I'll take it before nearly any other flavor.
    Back in the late 70s, particularly 1979, Welch's produced a fantastic grape, and orange soda. They were light, crisp, and not too sweet. I became a soda addict because of those. But, around 1982, they changed the formula, and then the product went away.

When I was young a bag of chips was a nickle, a big chocolate bar was a nickle and a soda was a dime. You could stay all day in the movie show for a quarter.
    I remember being able to watch a double feature like Godzilla vs whatever and an Elvis Presley movie along with cartoons in between for 50 cents. We'd stay all day buying junk from the concession counter.

Remember those change/coin dispensers guys wore on their belts in like gas stations to make change? They were metal. I was fascinated with those as a kid. They'd pull a lever and the quarters, dimes, nickels or pennies would come out.
    Last edited by lakeside; 08-12-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Remember those change/coin dispensers guys wore on their belts in like gas stations to make change? They were metal. I was fascinated with those as a kid. They'd pull a lever and the quarters, dimes, nickels or pennies would come out.
    Wow, yes! Whatever happened to those?

Wow, yes! Whatever happened to those?
    Now that coins are almost worthless, people just throw their change on the ground rather than carry it around with them.

They do that with one Euro cent coins, here.

What about those old plastic calculators? They'd click loudly and add only ones, tens, and one hundreds. I can't post an image from my tablet to show what I'm talking about but I thought they [[along with the change counters) were neat.

But then, I was fascinated when there was an abacus in the room as well.

Now that coins are almost worthless, people just throw their change on the ground rather than carry it around with them.

They do that with one Euro cent coins, here.
    I think it costs three cents to produce a penny. Nobody likes them and they are unnecessary, but any talk of discontinuing them is met with fierce opposition. Go figure.

Benny hill was my hero.
    After reports surfaced that Benny Hill was a racist, his show curiously disappeared from U.S. TV.

After reports surfaced that Benny Hill was a racist, his show curiously disappeared from U.S. TV.
    I never heard that.

I accept that the Benny Hill Show would be considered sexist by today's standards, but I never thought of it as being racist.

Having said that, I remember one skit where Benny Hill is supposed to be interviewing a Japanese politician and he receives a bemused look when he asks him, "When did you last have an election?" I suppose that is racist, the joke depending on the assumption that the Japanese cannot distinguish the sound of the letter "L" from that of the letter "R". It's still funny though.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I accept that the Benny Hill Show would be considered sexist by today's standards, but I never thought of it as being racist.

Having said that, I remember one skit where Benny Hill is supposed to be interviewing a Japanese politician and he receives a bemused look when he asks him, "When did you last have an election?" I suppose that is racist, the joke depending on the assumption that the Japanese cannot distinguish the sound of the letter "L" from that of the letter "R". It's still funny though.
Views: 516
    Benny Hill may have been a racist, or not. But, I doubt that that joke proves anything. That problem that several oriental languages have is the key to making that off-colour joke. And, based on the bulk of material Hill used in his show, I'd guess that it was strictly used for making that joke and NOT-at-all for poking fun at Japanese people or orientals in general.

Views: 516
    Benny Hill may have been a racist, or not. But, I doubt that that joke proves anything. That problem that several oriental languages have is the key to making that off-colour joke. And, based on the bulk of material Hill used in his show, I'd guess that it was strictly used for making that joke and NOT-at-all for poking fun at Japanese people or orientals in general.
    In that case, there must be a distinction made between a racist joke and a racial joke[?]

I never heard that.
    I did. It was pretty big news in the late 80s. And, Americans got tired of his sexism.